ADVERTISEMENT

Politi on Kaliakmanis Being an Upgrade at QB (but not a flashy one)

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
Good article, excerpted below, since it's behind a paywall. We all know Gavin was challenged with his throwing accuracy and hoped that AK would be an upgrade and at least against Howard, he was, with a 63% completion rate (and a few drops in there or it would've been 70+%, plus he was also generally hitting receivers in stride which is a big improvement). He also ran effectively several times and you could see him going quickly through his progressions and moving well in the pocket. As Politi said, he wasn't flashy, as we really didn't throw any deep balls (wish we had tried one or two), but he was very efficient and safe, which is something we all know Greg likes. Will be interesting to see how he does against better teams.

As Matt Millen said at the end of the game after praising AK's accuracy several times during the game, noting that it was an upgrade over GW's accuracy, "They have a passing game in NJ - that's going to make a big difference."

https://www.nj.com/rutgersfootball/...-but-flashy-dont-hold-your-breath-politi.html

But if you wanted to see fireworks from this new-look Rutgers offense, well, you’re going to have to check back next weekend. Even then, don’t hold your breath. The Scarlet Knights dominated Howard along the line of scrimmage in a 44-7 victory, with running back Kyle Monangai carrying the ball 19 times for 165 yards and touchdown.

If you wanted efficient, you were happy. If you wanted flashy ...

“We’re not, like, Barnum & Bailey over here,” Schiano said when asked about the vanilla approach to the season opener. “We kind of do what we do.”

In other words, get used to the bread-and-butter approach. Athan Kaliakmanis, in his first start for the Scarlet Knights, completed 15 of 24 passes for 147 yards and three touchdowns. That completion percentage — a tidy 63 percent — would have been the second best all season for the Scarlet Knights in 2023, when quarterback Gavin Wimsatt was college football’s least accurate passer.

But Kaliakmanis attempted only a single pass downfield during the game. Given that the Scarlet Knights added a much-heralded transfer receiver in Dymere Miller, who caught four passes for 37 yards and a touchdown, that was disappointing. Rutgers led just 17-7 at halftime, with one of its touchdowns coming on a 52-yard interception return from defensive back Eric Rogers.

Last edited:
I think if we got off to a decent lead we would have tried deep a few times.. and by that I mean PRACTICE it during the game at game speed. But the close game dictated making sure we win first.

Wish we got Sheppard more snaps and passes too. Maybe vs Akron... who plays 3:30pm tomorrow vs Ohio State.

The most glaring play between last year and last night was a simple pass to Brown for the touchdown. A short sideline pass that Gavin couldn't make at all. Because of that ability, defenses will now have to play Rutgers honestly. That is a huge improvement. Also fun to watch!
100% - our crew was talking about that pass being something we wouldn't have seen last year. AK also hit every short swing/slant pass in stride, including on the two short TDs - make a huge difference in YAC.

The most glaring play between last year and last night was a simple pass to Brown for the touchdown. A short sideline pass that Gavin couldn't make at all. Because of that ability, defenses will now have to play Rutgers honestly. That is a huge improvement. Also fun to watch!
Same thought crossed my mind.

Reactions: WhiteBus
Would've loved at least one long completion (don't count the pass to Brown bc it was mostly YAC) to show that the passing game can do it. Howard was still stacking the box yesterday. There is no reason to respect the Rutgers passing game yet.

Reactions: rubigtimenow
100% - our crew was talking about that pass being something we wouldn't have seen last year. AK also hit every short swing/slant pass in stride, including on the two short TDs - make a huge difference in YAC.
My seat neighbor said something along the lines that Gavin will play at Kentucky during the game. We are not that friendly, and the first response that popped into my mind, which I held back, was --"Do you miss him? If your ugly girlfriend leaves you and you upgrade to a hot girlfriend, do you miss her too?" But I just said that it looked like AK is a major upgrade in accuracy, and that Gavin may play at Kentucky, but likely not for passing plays.

Reactions: newell138
Would've loved at least one long completion (don't count the pass to Brown bc it was mostly YAC) to show that the passing game can do it. Howard was still stacking the box yesterday. There is no reason to respect the Rutgers passing game yet.
I agree with this, but it is not because of AK, who did everything he was asked and was in command of the offense. It is because of the play calling, which was way too conservative, and didn’t really force Howard to adjust their approach on defense. Hopefully it is just a matter of not showing anything in an early game, but I don’t think we can beat a good team calling plays like they did last night.

The biggest thing I saw from AK was running an actual read option, and even a few RPO plays, where it was crystal clear that AK was actually making the read in real time (as opposed to Wimsatt running sometimes from a RO look, but not actually making the read). AK's running was highly effective. 6 rushes for 43 yards, roughly a 7 yard average. And his RO threat was highly effective in tying up a defender which aided the HB to get big gains. And again, they did some RPO including the TD pass to Fletcher. Great stuff.

So in my mind, AK has already significantly exceeded Wimsatt just in their running ability...the read option can be deadly with a good decision-making QB. If we can add in even marginally more effective passing, then it's a major improvement over last year.

So many positives that can happen with what we saw- we all already know our game is the RB room and defense. But, without a competent QB - the other team just gets to load the box.
What happened that will stop this is that AK can actually RPO and break a good run. Hitting a guy out of the backfield in stride and...the use of a TE- The pass to Fletcher was almost like a passing RPO- AK had two choices- keep the ball and keep running with the TE out front to block or make the pass...Last year- 2% chance that is a throw and less then 2, it is complete.

AK may actually be a QB that can throw for less than 2000 yds but more than 20 TD

With AK, we got a B1G starting QB with legit prior experience in running a major college offense to come play for us.

Too often in recent years we’ve been counting on developing QBs with little or no prior D1 football starting experience.

The difference is stark - you could see it in AK’s demeanor, decision-making, accuracy, and running ability.

He’ll be a great leader for this offense, and one that our coaches will trust to sling it or run with it at any time.

Last edited:
With AK, we got a B1G starting QB with legit prior experience in running a major college offense to come play for us.

Too often in recent years have we’ve been counting on developing QBs with little or no prior D1 football starting experience.

The difference is stark - you could see it in AK’s demeanor, decision-making, accuracy, and running ability.

He’ll be a great leader for this offense, and one that our coaches will trust to sling it or run with it at any time.
I agree with everything you said, although tempered by the fact that this was Howard - I still want to see how he does against better opponents, especially on the road, but I'm more optimistic about his play than after the spring game.

GW had a 6.0 yards per pass last year (100th)
AK had 6.3 ( 93rd) and 6.1 vs Howard
He had no pressure at all and much better WRs to throw to.
The game went as expected but I don't like the dink and dink passing game.
A long ball opens things up and some WRs can go long and fight for balls this year.
Maybe coach is saving the saucy stuff for league play.

I agree with everything you said, although tempered by the fact that this was Howard - I still want to see how he does against better opponents, especially on the road, but I'm more optimistic about his play than after the spring game.
Yes, definitely should be tempered. I will say though, that the accuracy was there. I found that an encouraging improvement over last year.

Was it only me, but I thought AKs fake handoff were very good. There were a number of handoffs I was watching the RB,,then I realized he kept it.

Was also impressed with accuracy - putting the ball to receivers in stride. No one had a call thrown behind them or at their feet which stopped forward momentum.

Reactions: KevH and March Hare
We threw that same pass to the left last year early in the season for a Benjamin TD. I mean you picked a play where he hit w wide open player? I liked a lot of what I saw from AK and I think there is more to see. The play I liked most is the RPO with Fletcher. We threw it once and AK kept it once and both were the right decision.

Reactions: KevH
We threw that same pass to the left last year early in the season for a Benjamin TD. I mean you picked a play where he hit w wide open player? I liked a lot of what I saw from AK and I think there is more to see. The play I liked most is the RPO with Fletcher. We threw it once and AK kept it once and both were the right decision.
Glad you made that last point. Everybody's focused on accuracy, for good reason, but I think decision-making is huge too.

Reactions: rurichdog
AK looked good but it was against Howard. Next week should be another good warm up for him. VT will be the big test.

Right. No evidence of downfield playmakers. One would think if we had any, we’d have taken deep shots.

Yeah I pointed out the Benjamin pass too, but the takeaway is more about being 7 for 7 on those type of passes with all of them being made in stride. They didn’t all go for big yardage but the receiver caught the ball standing up with a chance to continue running with the ball. For perspective, it’s likely you could count on one hand the total number of short completions where this was true last season. For whatever reason, Gavin just really struggled with those types of throws - competition level (or whether there was ball pressure) didn’t matter. He just threw too hard or behind the receivers which forced them to fall while catching the ball.

Yeah I pointed out the Benjamin pass too, but the takeaway is more about being 7 for 7 on those type of passes with all of them being made in stride. They didn’t all go for big yardage but the receiver caught the ball standing up with a chance to continue running with the ball. For perspective, it’s likely you could count on one hand the total number of short completions where this was true last season. For whatever reason, Gavin just really struggled with those types of throws - competition level (or whether there was ball pressure) didn’t matter. He just threw too hard or behind the receivers which forced them to fall while catching the ball.
So do you think Simon would have been better than GW too last year and as good as AK looked Thursday ?

And AK is actually a better runner than Gavin, maybe not in the open field, gut in seeing the open holes and utilizing his running ability from the pocket. Though GW was a pretty bit guy, he never reeally attacked a hole when running, but kind of sidwised (?) his way into it.

So do you think Simon would have been better than GW too last year and as good as AK looked Thursday ?

It’s a fair point. I’m not sure.

Your right - against terrible teams Evan was consistently accurate so it’s certainly possible he could’ve / would’ve thrown comparably to AK against Howard. But the difference is that we know how bad Evan was with protecting the football against better teams. And he lacks the mobility AK seems to have with his legs.

True, Simon not as mobile as either one but it appears the offensive playcalling is the same as always. Run, short pass, nothing vertical. Simon would have offered at least a mid range passing game last year and also this year which would more than compensate for less mobility. How many bootlegs did AK run ? 2 or 3 ? Not enough to make up for a limited passing attack.

AK looks to be better than GW so far after one game, but I continue to question the philosophy.

True, Simon not as mobile as either one but it appears the offensive playcalling is the same as always. Run, short pass, nothing vertical. Simon would have offered at least a mid range passing game last year and also this year which would more than compensate for less mobility. How many bootlegs did AK run ? 2 or 3 ? Not enough to make up for a limited passing attack.

AK looks to be better than GW so far after one game, but I continue to question the philosophy.

It’s Howard. It’s much more useful to practice the style your going to play throughout the season and find a flow in game one. GS didn’t have to run designed, rehearsed pass plays. He will save those for opening drives against real teams. Just as always.

The telling difference was last year we didn’t practice easy, safe passes in the flats even against Wagner because GS clearly knew Gavin couldn’t complete them no matter how much time he had.

Not sure what team you’re talking about, but no, there wasn’t any vertical passing game last year. Only ‘keep the D honest’ deep outs last year were intentionally thrown out of bounds to avoid possible picks. Sounds crazy, but true. All such deep passes landed in the white boundary with a 0% chance of completion or int, on purpose.

The telling difference was last year we didn’t practice easy, safe passes in the flats even against Wagner because GS clearly knew Gavin couldn’t complete them no matter how much time he had.

Me when I come into a thread like this!

FUynmxs.gif

Reactions: yesrutgers01
Not sure what team you’re talking about, but no, there wasn’t any vertical passing game last year. Only ‘keep the D honest’ deep outs last year were intentionally thrown out of bounds to avoid possible picks. Sounds crazy, but true. All such deep passes landed in the white boundary with a 0% chance of completion or int, on purpose.

very few verticals. Most throwing action on the first drive of games. Rehearsed stuff. Then teams adjusted and Gavin didn’t make in game decisions other than throwing the ball away. My point is we didn’t run any pre designed pass plays vs Howard where AK was targeting a specific receiver in a spot. At some point, we’ll run plays like that for sure but there would’ve been no reason to show our hand. Those and Hail Mary 50 / 50 balls down the sideline in situations where a pick was basically the same as a punt comprised most pass attempts last year.

very few verticals. Most throwing action on the first drive of games. Rehearsed stuff. Then teams adjusted and Gavin didn’t make in game decisions other than throwing the ball away. My point is we didn’t run any pre designed pass plays vs Howard where AK was targeting a specific receiver in a spot. At some point, we’ll run plays like that for sure but there would’ve been no reason to show our hand. Those and Hail Mary 50 / 50 balls down the sideline in situations where a pick was basically the same as a punt comprised most pass attempts last year.
I really don’t get this. Throwing a slant or fly pattern down the field is not giving something up. And completing it against better competition when you haven’t tried it in a game previously is less likely.

I really don’t get this. Throwing a slant or fly pattern down the field is not giving something up. And completing it against better competition when you haven’t tried it in a game previously is less likely.
Agree. those aren’t even in the playbook. Last year we waited and waited and never saw even one time. That’s just not something Schiano allows. He’d rather punt than take a deep shot. Sad but true. We see it every game.

Greg is a low risk guy. We won 44-7. There was no need to make those kind of throws. It was more valuable to give AK practice making in game decisions on his own because he’s actually going to have the green light to do that. I’m sure we will run a handful of pre-rehearsed Gavin style plays down field too. There was no reason to show those hands though against Howard. Gavin threw a few against Wagner because those were the only types of throws he had the green light to throw - plays where he knew exactly where the ball was going.

Agree. those aren’t even in the playbook. Last year we waited and waited and never saw even one time. That’s just not something Schiano allows.
And they might not be now, but the same long / medium rehearsed plays that Gavin threw will be in the mix for AK.

Greg is a low risk guy. We won 44-7. There was no need to make those kind of throws. It was more valuable to give AK practice making in game decisions on his own because he’s actually going to have the green light to do that. I’m sure we will run a handful of pre-rehearsed Gavin style plays down field too. There was no reason to show those hands though against Howard. Gavin threw a few against Wagner because those were the only types of throws he had the green light to throw - plays where he knew exactly where the ball was going.
The problem is Schiano could have Caleb Williams or Joe Burrow, and would still call the same plays. AK is an experienced QB with 17 Big 10 starts. I thought he looked good in his first game for us, but he is going to have to make much more difficult throws for us to beat good teams. As good as Monangai was last year, he had several games where he couldn’t get 50 yards. Against better teams, if they stuff our run, we are going to have to throw the ball down the field to win, and it would be good to have some live game action doing that before you are forced to try it out of necessity.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT