ADVERTISEMENT

Politi on Ron Harper Jr, Sr and Rutgers.

I look at some similar built players like Faison at Northwestern as a model for an initial role for Harper....as an stretch 4 from 6'7 to 6'8", that can make a pass quickly or dribble out of trouble to generate a play.

if the ball moved this past year and landed with Freeman or Eugene outside of the paint, teams backed off asking/begging for them to shoot.....Harper is not anywhere near the player or athlete that Freeman provided, but teams will have to close out on Harper, if he can slot into that type of role.

He might wind up in that role, like Myles Johnson might as well...when the ball reverses, Johnson isnt your post up/back to the basket 4-5 man....he is more of a skill set guy, not athletic, jump over the defender player...but can help provide spacing.

The more ball movement RU can generate with a Harper and Johnson in the game, is likely going to find both players with chances to score or be left open....i don't ever see either player as the 2nd or 3rd player a defense needs to focus on, but if your 4th or 5th best option on the court, has shooting range and can make a pass, it places more stress on the opponent.

Cannot underestimate the importance of this post. I can’t tell you how much hedging goes on against us because there were certain guys that they dared to beat us that the odds said they won’t because of their offensive limitations. This hedging slowed down the offensive games with less space for Corey, geo, Freeman, and Even Eugene to operate

Reactions: winfield102
I look at some similar built players like Faison at Northwestern as a model for an initial role for Harper....as an stretch 4 from 6'7 to 6'8", that can make a pass quickly or dribble out of trouble to generate a play.

if the ball moved this past year and landed with Freeman or Eugene outside of the paint, teams backed off asking/begging for them to shoot.....Harper is not anywhere near the player or athlete that Freeman provided, but teams will have to close out on Harper, if he can slot into that type of role.

He might wind up in that role, like Myles Johnson might as well...when the ball reverses, Johnson isnt your post up/back to the basket 4-5 man....he is more of a skill set guy, not athletic, jump over the defender player...but can help provide spacing.

The more ball movement RU can generate with a Harper and Johnson in the game, is likely going to find both players with chances to score or be left open....i don't ever see either player as the 2nd or 3rd player a defense needs to focus on, but if your 4th or 5th best option on the court, has shooting range and can make a pass, it places more stress on the opponent.

Good post Hawk - from what little I know I am also trying to think of a B1G player / role that RHJ could play......interesting that you thought of Falzon - to me I can see his role being similar to that of Josh Reaves at PSU. Could you see him in that role? Reaves plays GREAT defense and I can see Harper filling that role on our team.

I look at some similar built players like Faison at Northwestern as a model for an initial role for Harper....as an stretch 4 from 6'7 to 6'8" . . . .
So we've already decided that he's 6'7" to 6'8".

Why stop there. Who knows. He could grow to 6'9" to 6'10". Let's plan on that.

Daddy Harper seems to be very sure junior will add at least several inches in height.I think all Rutgers BB fans would love him be that kid who nobody cared about but by dumb luck and coaching staff effort chose us. 6 ‘ 8 “ to 6’10. “ sign me up.

Interesting thing in that article is that Politi lists him at 6-5 right now, not 6-6 like the recruiting services have him. I've also seen weights listed from 200-220, and that may be low.

Will be interesting to see what height/weight he gets listed at on sk.com when he arrives on campus - which will probably get posted some time in August.

Almost every year, it takes just the smallest impetus to start fans here musing about how an incoming recruit is ready to grow another 2, 3 or more inches. And, so, the off season has begun.

Well, Thiam grew from 6-9 to 6-10... don't you know one data point makes a trend? :)

I honestly don't really know what his height/weight is right now, let alone what it'll be next year. He might very well grow 2 inches.... to get to the 6-6 his recruiting profiles already have listed. ha

would love a ryan anderson on the rockets type - tall, provides spacing, shoots 3s

Well, Thiam grew from 6-9 to 6-10... don't you know one data point makes a trend? :)

I honestly don't really know what his height/weight is right now, let alone what it'll be next year. He might very well grow 2 inches.... to get to the 6-6 his recruiting profiles already have listed. ha

went from 6-9 190 to 6-10 190...if you believe this kind of stuff his BMI went down!

In all seriousness did he do and ounce of strength work in the offseason?

Reactions: RUChoppin
Maybe his body put all the extra calories he was eating into more height, lol.

Can you imagine someone telling you to drink malted milkshakes everyday? Other than RU having their name read on the 2nd Sunday in March I don't know what would sound better.

Quick Math - HARPER Height
You also can estimate a teen’s height in inches by doubling his shoe size and adding 50. This what is known as a “quick” relationship rather than an on-the-nose accurate correlation, notes “Elementary Statistics,” by Robert Russell Johnson and Patricia Kuby. For example, if your shoe size is 10, your height might be 71 inches as opposed to the 70 inches that the formula would provide. 18

Harper Jr - Shoe Size 18. Double it to 36 and Add 50 = 86. Divide by 12 and you get our new 7 footer!!!

Highlight:

He is a 6-foot-5 wing with room to grow -- both as a basketball player and as a human being.

"By the time they start college, he's going to be 6-8, 6-9. He's still growing," his father said. "The kid is wearing a size 18 shoe. He's got a 7-1 wing span. I told him, he's the next Kevin Durant type, he's going to be 6-9 and he's going to be able to do everything. He doesn't have an idea of what coming to college and getting stronger is going to do to his game."
Kevin Durant? Pump the brakes.

Reactions: higgins3
Harper had 17 and 9 rebounds versus Shawnee tonight. His set shut looks slower than a shot with an active hand near him. Makes sense. Creative around basket with his layups.

Almost every year, it takes just the smallest impetus to start fans here musing about how an incoming recruit is ready to grow another 2, 3 or more inches. And, so, the off season has begun.

The conversation about Harper only started because his Father said he is still growing and he is still 16. His father probably knows he is still growing, right?

I don't remember any previous conversations on this board about guys getting taller after they commit. Can you name a few?

Last edited:
You guys forget where we play, "The Rac" we will stretch him out to whatever height we need

Reactions: shields
Two big questions. 1) is he catch and shoot player or does he need to dribble a few times and 2) how fast is his release

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG
Two big questions. 1) is he catch and shoot player or does he need to dribble a few times and 2) how fast is his release

If you have a 7'1" wing span at his height I don't think it matters..he will get his shot off.

Yes, that must be it. He knows.

Ron Harper Senior is a former NBA player who wants his son to follow in his foot steps. The thought that he would NEVER ask a Docter to look into this is just Stupid. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't.

We are still waiting on that list of guys that this board talks about almost every year. You know...those discussions about guys still growing 2-3 inches. OR, did you just make that up?

Last edited:
went from 6-9 190 to 6-10 190...if you believe this kind of stuff his BMI went down!

In all seriousness did he do and ounce of strength work in the offseason?

I thought he looked much more defined this year than last year. Last year he was a bean pole with no muscles. This year he looked like he had more definition (but still a bean pole...lol).

I don't think that he will ever be a guy who is jacked, as that doesn't appear to be supported by his frame. But your suggestion that he didn't do any strength and conditioning this year is just stupid.

Are you giving us insights as to who you're going to bash this year now that Corey will most likely move on?

Last year it was Geo who did grow an inch or two. The year before that was Issa who EJ said grew to 6’10” from around 6’8” - 6’9”. And there’s Bullock who gained 3 inches.... around his waist. I kid.

Why do so many of our fans have to downgrade our players? Do those that are criticizing get their kicks out of this?

There is a petty and snarky attitude towards fans that are positive...i.tried to explain how 2-3 people i trust that watch some of Bakers play with no RU affiliation, all raved about his skills and we would not miss Nigel Johnson too much...not because Nigel didnt have value (he did in comparison to the bench options) but it was about player development.

We have another project and player whose upside is clear and it's strange how fans envy everything else that goes on elsewhere....regarding Harper, i will see him live in an All Star game in 2 weeks in a game with mulitiple D1 prospects. It will be a non-HS game, where the environment isnt controlled so he will have a chance to show whats going on there.

A lot of recruiting is beating your opponent or competition in evaluation of talent. There are safer recruits that can probably play better next year....the key is 2-3 years from now, not November-December of 2018....i can already anticipate fans writing off Harper, Myles Johnson if they don't immediately contribute.

Where & when is that All Star game if you can say?

In Connecticut...i will send or post some info on the board here but its Sunday April 8th...I'll get the rosters of players that are supposed to be playing but it does also go up against the Jordan Brand game that weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT