Possible new playoff scenario

We got CHAOS!

Down to four scenarios. Here goes:

SCENARIO 1: Michigan wins, FSU loses.
  1. Michigan
  2. Washington
  3. Texas
  4. Alabama
IMO it's Texas, Alabama, and Georgia, in that order. Georgia is left without a chair when the music stops.

SCENARIO 2: FSU and Michigan both win.
  1. Michigan
  2. Washington
  3. FSU
  4. Texas
In this case it's FSU, Texas, Alabama, and Georgia, in that order. Four teams, two chairs. Sorry SEC.

And now to consider the unlikely event of a Michigan defeat,

SCENARIO 3: FSU wins, Michigan loses.
  1. Washington
  2. FSU
  3. Texas
  4. Alabama
With the Alabama win, the Texas > Alabama > Georgia relationship continues to hold.

SCENARIO 4: FSU and Michigan both lose.
  1. Washington
  2. Texas
  3. Alabama
  4. Georgia
OK chaos fans! Which loser do you take for the last spot - Georgia or Michigan? IMO Georgia was sufficiently competitive to take it.

I am sure of this and this alone - each of these remaining scenarios will create controversy. All of the clearcut ones are gone, courtesy of Alabama.
Assuming Michigan wins even if FSU gets in I don’t think they will get higher than a 4th seed.

I think they will be leaped by a 1 loss team like Texas and maybe Alabama too. In the initial CFP an undefeated FSU was seeded 3 behind 1 loss teams.

I agree with what Fallica said on Fox just now assuming Michigan wins. Michigan, Washington, Texas, Alabama.

If FSU can win big and demolish Louisville they may have a chance to sneak in at 4.

Reactions: cicero grimes
I agree with what Fallica said on Fox just now assuming Michigan wins. Michigan, Washington, Texas, Alabama.

If FSU can win big and demolish Louisville they may have a chance to sneak in at 4.
I don't know who Fallica is but that was my prediction too.

Michigan (if they win), Washington, Bama, and Georgia.

The committee isn't knocking out a 2-time defending national champion that just lost their first game by a field goal in 2 years. No way in hell. The SEC is still rules college football.

I would have to think if FSU and Mich wins- it’s Mich/FSU/Bama/Texas

Texas should get in . Agree with RuSnp. Yes Rutgers , Washington is undefeated.

Washington is a lock, bud.
My bad- you are right. Brain fart.
Ahhh- so I see the quandary. Tex beat Bama so very difficult to put Bama in ahead of them but…that would shut out the SEC and that isn’t going to happen.

Reactions: Jimpeg
The 3 undefeated if FSU and Michigan win.

Texas because they beat Alabama

Is it an 8 team playoff next year?

Ohio State
Alabama
Georgia
Oregon

Last edited:
Reactions: RUTGERS95
The Selection Committee is no doubt hoping that both Michigan and FSU lose. That would create the least controversial outcome. It is also the least likely.

Two series in for the ACC championship - admittedly early- but from what I've seen if somebody thinks Texas wouldn't be the best team in the ACC I don't know what to say.

Two series in for the ACC championship - admittedly early- but from what I've seen if somebody thinks Texas wouldn't be the best team in the ACC I don't know what to say.
I am definitely rooting for FSU to lose because Texas and Alabama are way better, and there are only 3 playoff games and I don’t want 1 to be Michigan killing FSU.

Assuming Michigan wins even if FSU gets in I don’t think they will get higher than a 4th seed.

I think they will be leaped by a 1 loss team like Texas and maybe Alabama too. In the initial CFP an undefeated FSU was seeded 3 behind 1 loss teams.
No, actually the initial CFP had Ga, OSU, Xichigan and FSU in order, all at 8-0. Wash was #5, rounding out the 5 remaining undefeateds.

I don't see a scenario where the committee leaves out an undefeated Power conf winner for any one loss team. So IMO if FSU and Xichigan both win, I have to believe they're all in.

No, actually the initial CFP had Ga, OSU, Xichigan and FSU in order, all at 8-0. Wash was #5, rounding out the 5 remaining undefeateds.

I don't see a scenario where the committee leaves out an undefeated Power conf winner for any one loss team. So IMO if FSU and Xichigan both win, I have to believe they're all in.
I’m talking about the 2014 CFP where 1 loss Alabama and 1 loss Oregon were ranked 1 an 2 over an undefeated FSU at 3

The best teams are Texas, UGA, Alabama and Michigan.
Washington should have played somebody decent and ranked in the non-conference although I’m guessing beating Oregon twice will be enough to get them in. I’m thinking OSU would be a 3 point neutral field favorite vs Washington.

I’m talking about the 2014 CFP where 1 loss Alabama and 1 loss Oregon were ranked 1 an 2 over an undefeated FSU at 3
Oh, that was my mistake then. Isn't that a little different though? All those teams were in. We're looking at drawing the line between who gets in and who doesn't. Then again, FSU is only up 3-0 at the half, so anything can happen yet there, and I think everyone agrees they are out with a loss.

Washington should have played somebody decent and ranked in the non-conference although I’m guessing beating Oregon twice will be enough to get them in. I’m thinking OSU would be a 3 point neutral field favorite vs Washington.

Who did Georgia beat?
Washington's two wins over Oregon are better than any Geogia win.

Oregon will likely stay ranked ahead of Ole Miss.

No.

Everyone is saying it’s between
Michigan-Wash-FSU-Texas
And
Michigan-Wash-Bama-Texas

But don’t underestimate the committee finding a way to put Georgia in somehow

Reactions: Rutgers Chris
Everyone is saying it’s between
Michigan-Wash-FSU-Texas
And
Michigan-Wash-Bama-Texas

But don’t underestimate the committee finding a way to put Georgia in somehow
They won't put Georgia in over Alabama. It would have to be at this expense of both FSU and Texas

They say an undefeated Conf champ was never left out...

This is the perfect time to do that.

I predict..

Washington-Michigan-Texas-Bama (But I wouldn't mind Oregon over Bama 😜 )

OSU has not shot and FSU shouldn't... nor Georgia.

Really.. Georgia had a weak schedule... ACC always has a weak schedule.. The whole SEC was a bit off this year... as was everyone it seems. Leave the SEC out. They got what they want next year.. 12 teams and byes... they really wanted teh byes.. which I get from their perspective.. but we should have all said 8 or 16, no byes.

Byes in CFP are just another advantage for the haves over the have-nots.. I mean the halve-a-bit-less.

They will always be seen as bye-worthy.. the SEC champs.. giving them and easier path. Its football.. it not byes within a conference basketball tourney where everyone had a chance to beat the team that get the byes. And with playing an extra game at a high level of competition before facing teh bye team... just too big an advantage.

Last edited:
The real question here is whether the committee has the balls to shut the SEC out. This would be the time to do it. A case can be made for Michigan- Washington-FSU -Texas. 3 unbeatens and the 1 loss team beat Alabama in Alabama.
Because the SEC has done so poorly in the CFP to date.🤔😂 Fact is the SEC has won 6 of the 9 CFP championships.

We aren’t saying OU is better than Texas because OU went on to lose more games.
Yes, and that is a comparison of each team’s whole seasons. Why not use that whole season standard in every comparison?
To try and argue that a one loss Alabama team is better than the one loss Texas team they lost in their home stadium to by double digits is a total SEC bias distortion of reality.
I have no connection with the SEC. I know:

Texas:
- 1 top 10 1-loss opponent
- 1 top 15 2-loss opponent
- 2 top 25 4-loss opponents

Bama:
- 2 top 10 1-loss opponents
- 1 top 15 3-loss opponent
- 1 top 25 4-loss opponent

I know which schedule I’d say was tougher to make it through with 1-loss.

Reactions: NickRU714
Yes, and that is a comparison of each team’s whole seasons. Why not use that whole season standard in every comparison?

I have no connection with the SEC. I know:

Texas:
- 1 top 10 1-loss opponent
- 2 top 25 4-loss opponents

Bama:
- 2 top 10 1-loss opponents
- 1 top 15 3-loss opponent
- 1 top 25 4-loss opponent

I know which schedule I’d say was tougher to make it through with 1-loss.
Bama had the 4th toughest schedule and Texas the 14th. In my opinion that is not enough to overcome the head to head loss at home.

What is clear is they should already be at an 8 team playoff.

First round
Michigan vs Oregon
Washington vs Ohio State
Texas vs Georgia
FSU vs Alabama

In this format- it really should be a rule that an unbeaten Conf Champ of a P5 should never be jumped by a 1 loss team. I don’t think FSu is fourth best but, they beat everyone they played.
This should be the year SEC is out.
Not going to happen though.

In this format- it really should be a rule that an unbeaten Conf Champ of a P5 should never be jumped by a 1 loss team. I don’t think FSu is fourth best but, they beat everyone they played.
This should be the year SEC is out.
Not going to happen though.

Why?
"P5" isn't formally a real designation and it's been established there is no AQ for undefeated conference champ.

What if all 5 "P5" champs were undefeated?

Bama had the 4th toughest schedule and Texas the 14th. In my opinion that is not enough to overcome the head to head loss at home.

That's the question and distinction.

"Head to head" is only relevant if teams are viewed as equal.
Overall - are Bama and Texas close enough?

If Alabama can get in over Texas why can't Georgia get in over Alabama.

Seeing that apparently head-to-head is not that important.

I think they are for that head to head to matter. Alabama isn't the dominant team of the past and it is a "different" team from earlier in the season but that "different" team needed a 4th and 31 hail mary to beat Auburn a team that got trounced on its own field by NMSU the week before.

Alabama's resume' is very good no doubt about it but Texas is close enough to them for that head to head to make difference, plus it was in Tuscaloosa which is a huge deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: NickRU714
If Alabama can get in over Texas why can't Georgia get in over Alabama.

Seeing that apparently head-to-head is not that important.

Good question.
Texas best win is better than Georgia best win.
However, Texas loss is worse than Georgia loss.

Does Texas extra win and resume trump Georgia's resume?

FSU: the whole season matters
Bama/Texas/Georgia: only head to head matters?

I've actually come around to the idea that FSU should get in with Texas and the SEC should be left out even though I think Alabama is a better team than FSU.

Booger McFarland made a point yesterday that going into the Oregon/Washington game everyone thought Oregon was going to trounce them and Oregon was on a tear demolishing people while Washington was playing up and down and to the level of their opponents. What happened when they met on the field? Washington took it to them blow for blow. So what's been happening and what we think might happen can't be the judge over what happens on the field. Otherwise it's just only beauty pageant of who has the best recruiting classes.

I think back to that OSU/Miami game way back where they won a bunch of close games and Miami was a talented and loaded a team as you'd find. OSU beat them in close game. So what we think might happen isn't enough. I thought TCU had a good shot at Michigan last year but many didn't and were they a better team than Michigan, probably not but they beat them on the field.

I think FSU has done enough to get in where them being undefeated and P5 conference champ matters enough to sneak them in. They may get trounced but they should get in. Their defense was great last night and you say well that was just Louisville (I think they said they #20 offense in the country going into that game) but they also did a good job in the 2nd half against very good LSU offense early in the season and LSU is the #1 offense in the country. They're going to have to get creative on offense but their defense can keep them in a game potentially, especially against a Michigan. I mean we hung around them for awhile too with our defense.

I change my tune from last night, who knows I may play a different song again by the time it gets released lol.

1. Michigan 2. Washington 3. Texas 4. FSU

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT