ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Possible opponents RHoops could add to schedule this week

Just call an nyc or philly team and lets play. At this point lets at least put our guys in games that matter.

Reactions: kcg88
I still think its too early to judge Pike scheduling since he took over a #dumpsterfire of a program playing in the best conference in the country. It only made sense to schedule easy OOC games to pile up some wins.

We finally have our best team this year and we were going to have our toughest OOC schedule yet and I believe we tried to add nova and Oregon at some point. The B1G/ACC SHU and Gavitt games add strong OOC games. If we played zero of those he would likely replace those games with some P5 type program opponents. Every team needs a few tune up type games though. Let's see how Pike schedules going forward to see if he has a more challenging schedule with a better team.

No. Scheduling nothing but cupcakes in a normal year is bad enough. Only playing 24 games when you're allowed 27 is actively putting your team at a disadvantage.

Every team that wants games is getting them.

Unacceptable. Sunday post game he said there’s a pretty good chance of adding a game, so he went from pretty good chance to No thanks. Also, keep in mind after Syracuse there is another six day stretch until At Maryland the followping Monday. I guess they could pick up one game in that stretch. They better.

Scheduling is my biggest gripe with Pike, he has all along said we play in toughest league and he uses that as an excuse to answer critics of scheduling.

Unacceptable. Sunday post game he said there’s a pretty good chance of adding a game, so he went from pretty good chance to No thanks. Also, keep in mind after Syracuse there is another six day stretch until At Maryland the followping Monday. I guess they could pick up one game in that stretch. They better.

Scheduling is my biggest gripe with Pike, he has all along said we play in toughest league and he uses that as an excuse to answer critics of scheduling.

Sorry did I miss something? Who did Pikiell say No Thanks to?

Call Jay Young at Fairfield. What’s the hold up? They’re friends and should trust each other.

Reactions: Scangg
Coaching malpractice?!?!?! Are you out of your freaking mind? Have you not been paying attention for the past thirty years? Coaching malpractice ?!?! Even hinting at that may be the most asinine thing I have ever seen on this message board, and that's saying a lot.

Talk to me when it's 21-9 Syracuse and our players are clearly out of it from not going at game speed for over a week.

No. Scheduling nothing but cupcakes in a normal year is bad enough. Only playing 24 games when you're allowed 27 is actively putting your team at a disadvantage.

Every team that wants games is getting them.
That has nothing to do with my post

Another post of ridic proportions

does anyone remember that our original schedule eas
Big East challenge road game (like providence)
Syracuse
At seton hall
Baylor

and while Syracuse is still here...we are perfectly willing to play the hall (they are the issue here),And we tried to play OregonThis week last minute

coach has his reasons for doing what needs to be done and I’m sure it’s not...let’s not play because we don’t want to play

Reactions: Scangg
Another post of ridic proportions

does anyone remember that our original schedule eas
Big East challenge road game (like providence)
Syracuse
At seton hall
Baylor

and while Syracuse is still here...we are perfectly willing to play the hall (they are the issue here),And we tried to play OregonThis week last minute

coach has his reasons for doing what needs to be done and I’m sure it’s not...let’s not play because we don’t want to play

Everyone's original schedule got upended. We're not doing well to replace games.

https://collegebasketball.ap.org/hometownsource/poll

Here's the AP Poll....And who's on the schedule from December 14th through January 28th...Here's where the teams are in this weeks poll or receiving votes this week.

12-8 Syracuse.

12-14 @ #34 Maryland (probably slightly higher by the time we get there).

12-20 #3 Illinois (plays Gonzaga tonight, even with a loss there, still likely to be Top 10....

12-23 @ 23 Ohio State....assuredly to be ranked most of the season.

12-29 Purdue (not currently ranked but not exactly FDU or a team you can chalk up, especially off a potential road loss at Ohio State.

1-2 #3 Iowa....likely still in Top 10 by this date at worse....

1-5 @ # 8 Michigan State.....off a win last night at Duke, likely a Top 10 game worse case, could be a Top 5 opponent on road.

1-9 #23 Ohio State....Didn't we just see these dudes, 2 weeks ago???

1-12 @ Penn State.....maybe a "breather", but likely a dangerous game if you don't play well.

1-15 # 4 Wisconsin...4 experienced 5th year senior starters, another highly ranked, top opponent....sensing a trend here...

GAP in schedule for another opponent @ Seton Hall.....?? Let's worry about Seton Hall, with these opponents??

1-24 @ #32 Indiana...not exactly a team you can say "Oh OK, we should win that road game", fans or no fans...

1-28 #8 Michigan State (was scheduled to be the MSG game, highly unlikely it would be there, should be at RAC.....

I'm not a math guy, but it's possible, RU could play 9 out of it's next 11 opponents ranked in the Top 25 at the time we play them. It could show FIVE Top 5
10 opponents, if rankings hold up close to where they are now (Sparty twice, Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa).

Why in the world, are people actually crying about a schedule right now...????....Tell me what RU and the record is going to be after these games and does it make sense to risk a shutdown by playing a nondescript game and missing out on some of these huge games??

Not to make this political......

Covid is getting bad. Why play unnecessary games?

if we really are good and we take care of business and finish with a 11+ B1G wins and are in the tournament.

gettingpositive cases of Covid would be bad

I'm not a math guy, but it's possible, RU could play 9 out of it's next 11 opponents ranked in the Top 25 at the time we play them. It could show FIVE Top 5
10 opponents, if rankings hold up close to where they are now (Sparty twice, Wisconsin, Illinois and Iowa).

Why in the world, are people actually crying about a schedule right now...????....Tell me what RU and the record is going to be after these games and does it make sense to risk a shutdown by playing a nondescript game and missing out on some of these huge games??

Because there is no guarantee that all of those games get played. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

Last edited:
Absolutely infuriating that Indiana got wins over Providence and Stanford and still has Florida State and Butler scheduled while Rutgers is just ****ing punting and not even scheduling THREE non-conference games.

thats okay someone will spin that Rutgers has just as good an OOC schedule as Indiana

Not to make this political......

Covid is getting bad. Why play unnecessary games?

if we really are good and we take care of business and finish with a 11+ B1G wins and are in the tournament.

gettingpositive cases of Covid would be bad

if this is your thinking then they should not be playing AT ALL

why should any schools play.

If Rutgers loses to Syracuse then even at 11-9 we'll be sweating on Selection Sunday.

The cupcake schedule was understandable if the idea was to play the full 27 games and just bank wins and hope an 18-9 (11-9) or 17-10 (11-9) record is good enough to impress the committee. 15-9 (11-9) is less impressive.

Reactions: ScarletKid2008
After the last game everyone on this board was saying how it made sense to get another game in before Syracuse. Now that it looks like that won't happen everyone is jumping on the "we don't need another game" bandwagon. At least be consistent.

Also, I'd like to be clear that I don't think Seton Hall's scheduling strategy of flying all over the country and playing almost exclusively high-majors is the way to go either. A mix is ideal, and playing at least 6 of the allotted 7 non-conference games should be the baseline.

Reactions: Local Shill
Because there is no guarantee that all of those games get played. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.

You're not making any sense....what game is it, that you want to play now, that's more valuable than 9 ranked opponents out of 11 games??

What if your opponent, isn't exactly covid-friendly....?? Indiana or the Notre Dame campus, isn't exactly pristine on being diligent...let's get infected by playing an opponent, when the B1G has the strictest protocol for testing??

If RU misses 3 to 5 or 7 of the 11 games in that stretch, you are now scrambling to find games from where exactly??

You're premise is flawed and bad from the beginning....you're already predicting a loss vs Cuse because we didn't schedule Valley Tech, St Peter's of Lutheran Academy, St John's of Canada or St. Western Carolina State....

Cmon man....I would explain how RU would be at fault by blowing up the strength of their schedule, trying to squeeze in a nondescript game.

If the schedule was flipped where the 2nd 10 B1G games was in December and January, maybe I would possibly see finding a game. These are marquee matchups that bring RU to a level they've rarely been tested at when ranked. There's tons to gain by getting to Maryland in 1 piece and into the B1G slate...if another B1G team goes belly-up, let that be their case, not RUs.....

After the last game everyone on this board was saying how it made sense to get another game in before Syracuse. Now that it looks like that won't happen everyone is jumping on the "we don't need another game" bandwagon. At least be consistent.
Just bc we wanted another game doesn’t mean we need to have a meltdown if it didn't happen

Reactions: RUDead
Hawk nails it best

how many top 10 teams have we played in the RAC in the last four years

well...we have FOUR top 10
Opponents coming to the RAC in the next 8 weeks !

I want to get the games schedule ...and I’m sure pike sees the big picture than 75 of us on an internet board does

In the article by Brian Fonseca the other day and on the RU screw pod, Brian said Rutgers tried to get back into the Jimmy V classic and play Gonzaga but Huggins went directly to ESPN and got the game. Not sure if that was before or after Geo was hurt but it definitely seemed like we tried to schedule a game. If we are punting you’d have to think Geo could be why. However there are six days between Cuse and Maryland so there’s a potential opening for a game then too.

No good out of conference games no good. Would rather play a good team and lose (so long as not blowout) than play none. Ya play none, ya get called on it every time come March. At very least, play SOMEONE to keep the guys sharp during long hiatus.

If Rutgers loses to Syracuse then even at 11-9 we'll be sweating on Selection Sunday.

The cupcake schedule was understandable if the idea was to play the full 27 games and just bank wins and hope an 18-9 (11-9) or 17-10 (11-9) record is good enough to impress the committee. 15-9 (11-9) is less impressive.
14 is the number

We are a top 25 team. Yes, we are. Friday night scrimmage ourselves. Better than most games we could have gotten anyway.

ND scheduled a game Saturday vs Fort Wayne, which just announced cancelled due to Covid positive case. ND Saturday make it happen !

BTW.. keep in mind what happens if we play someone and then they report a positive covid test.... every game we play can affect who we CAN play later.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT