ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Possible opponents RHoops could add to schedule this week

It's not like there is any difference home/neutral/road games they all should count the same, 1.0 with no fans anywhere. The computer rankings should adjust accordingly.

In my humble opinion, a game should have been played between the Hofstra game and the Syracuse game to keep the guys fresh especially prior going into a tough game vs Syracuse.
I am not saying the game had to be against a top 20 squad but there were games to be had such as against a low profile St Peter’s or a high profile Notre Dame etc .
Unless there’s something we don’t know , I don’t understand what a 9 day break does for us at this early point in the season heading into the Syracuse game.

Last edited:
get a road game please

absolutely. Don’t know what we’re afraid of. There aren’t any fans. I always feel like we’re afraid to lose. We’re a veteran team that should challenge itself every chance it gets. That’s how you get better.

BTW.. keep in mind what happens if we play someone and then they report a positive covid test.... every game we play can affect who we CAN play later.
Games at home we have control as we test opposing players and staff. I don’t know the possibilities of false negatives or tests taken too early

I don’t get it either. Some of the heaviest exposed places in country are within a 90 minute bus ride to campus.
head scratcher from Lou here.
OK I'll clarify by saying if they can get from their campus to ours without being exposed to anyone else, then its fine. These teams that are going through airports to play non-conference games are nuts, in my opinion.

I think we would should have schedule any type of game against a mid major but it's not the end of the world. Our resume should still look fine by the end of the year I hope.

SHU ducking us is the saddest, most pathetic thing ever. Didn't want to lose a home game ... blah blah ... they know RU has the upper hand this year and they're still shell shocked from last season's absolute abusing they took at the RAC.

One thing no one has mentioned is money.

these games cost money. Obviously it is less if a bus ride and no overnight stay is necessary.

There is no revenue from gate to pay an opponent to play us.

Reactions: Terry_2426

these games cost money. Obviously it is less if a bus ride and no overnight stay is necessary.

I would imagine BTN/FS and the Big Ten would have some say in how to compensate teams for expenses that provide them programming. I would imagine scheduling a game that gets aired would mean positive revenue.

Reactions: Greene Rice FIG

I'm sure COVID is costing schools a ton of money... butttt money hasn't seemed to stop other teams throughout the country from scheduling games

I'm sure COVID is costing schools a ton of money... butttt money hasn't seemed to stop other teams throughout the country from scheduling games
Every school has different challenges. NJ tax payers are footing the bill for a portion of our athletic program.

Every school has different challenges. NJ tax payers are footing the bill for a portion of our athletic program.
What about other public schools nationwide? It can't be a Rutgers specific problem is the point its impacting everyone's finances but not stopping other D1 programs

What about other public schools nationwide? It can't be a Rutgers specific problem is the point its impacting everyone's finances but not stopping other D1 programs
Unfortunately I know 1st hand the financial toll of Covid has had an impact on D1 athletic programs.

We should have taken Stony Brook...Pikiell vs. Young.

UPDATE.....I mean Fairfield

Last edited:
Reactions: Scangg
Haha maybe not but you think finances is the reason a game was never scheduled? Rutgers didn't have the money to host a home game? Seems unlikely that is the reason
It’s possible it is a reason. Could also be finances of team that would travel.

Covid concerns would be the primary suspect

SHU ducking us is the saddest, most pathetic thing ever. Didn't want to lose a home game ... blah blah ... they know RU has the upper hand this year and they're still shell shocked from last season's absolute abusing they took at the RAC.
They lose a home game either way, might as we play it. Pikiell said he “looks forward to playing Seton Hall at the RAC next year”

Carinos article has Pikes quote that they were close to playing a top ten team last week, but dates didn’t align,. Would love to know what team. Not hard To narrow it down, removing the 3 big ten teams from top 10, Iowa Illinois and Michigan St, remove Gonzaga WVU and Baylor since they had the Jimmy V, Duke had a scheduled Friday game and no shot they come to the RAC, and you’re looking at Kansas, Houston, Creighton, or Nova

Unacceptable. Sunday post game he said there’s a pretty good chance of adding a game, so he went from pretty good chance to No thanks. Also, keep in mind after Syracuse there is another six day stretch until At Maryland the followping Monday. I guess they could pick up one game in that stretch. They better.

Scheduling is my biggest gripe with Pike, he has all along said we play in toughest league and he uses that as an excuse to answer critics of scheduling.

I used to think he used youth as an excuse but he’s doing the same thing with a top 25 veteran team. Seems too concerned about the W-L record.

Carinos article has Pikes quote that they were close to playing a top ten team last week, but dates didn’t align,. Would love to know what team. Not hard To narrow it down, removing the 3 big ten teams from top 10, Iowa Illinois and Michigan St, remove Gonzaga WVU and Baylor since they had the Jimmy V, Duke had a scheduled Friday game and no shot they come to the RAC, and you’re looking at Kansas, Houston, Creighton, or Nova

Brian Fonseca reported Rutgers tried to get back into the Jimmy V to play Gonzaga bit WVU took the spot. On the RU Screw Pod, he said Huggins appealed directly to ESPN.

Yes, I think his comments today meant they tried again besides the Jimmy V, in an attempt to play a top 10 team this past week

I am going to put this out there for those who are complaining about the schedule. Rutgers has the 4th hardest schedule remaining in college basketball. Never bite off more than you can chew. The Baylor thing might have been a blessing, consider they are tough. SHU is avoiding us. Oregon game was hit and miss while on the run, and we haven't even touched on the B1G.

Reactions: RUpop and Scangg
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT