ADVERTISEMENT

Poznanski, Rivera & VanBrill Take Third at 2021 Big Ten Championships

The above picture of MVB jogged my memory as I remembered him smiling after his third place win. I took it as a "what the hell did I just do" smile. Well, after knocking off #2, 3, 5, and 6, I congratulate you Mike. There was a very small handful here 2 years that said MVB was cutting too much weight and had much more potential at a higher weight class. Those people saw something many couldnt. He had a nice little run at the end of last year and perked a few heads up. This year all I can say is WOW!! Where did the beast in him come from? This is such a feel good story.

What were the final team scores? The Big Ten site only lists the first five.

What were the final team scores? The Big Ten site only lists the first five.
From Trackwrestling:
Printed on 03/08/2021 10:14 a.m.
Team Scores
1Iowa 159.5
2Penn State 124.0
3Nebraska 105.5
4Michigan 92.0
5Minnesota 77.5
6Purdue 76.0
7Northwestern 74.0
8Michigan State 73.5
9Ohio State 69.5
10Rutgers 52.0
11Illinois 32.0
12Wisconsin 30.5
13Indiana 22.0
14Maryland 2.0

Reactions: Clearscreen25
Thanks! I wonder how we might have done with Sammy Alverez and the 157 pound wrestler.

Hope MVB comes back for another year. He'll be even better at 149 next year.

rough year hopefully get back in the top half next season!

If Sammy and Kainard wrestle, they do much better. I actually think it was a great tournament for RU. Way better than last seasons.

Covid layoff def impacted their conditioning. They fought hard though! Future looks bright. I'm stoked to have SeaBass in the room another year. He's clearly a leader with the team. He'll make those around him better.

Hope MVB and Poz AA at Nationals. If the off chance Suriano comes back to take 133, wonder if we give the keys to Shawver at 125 or try to get someone in the portal. Shawver wrestled well at 125 at B1Gs so interesting decision. Of course if Suriano doesn't come back which I think is what happens, we need a 133 in the portal. Hope Suriano just is up front with Goodale and the team early so we can move forward at 125/133 in the offseason.

Reactions: njsportsphan
Hope MVB and Poz AA at Nationals. If the off chance Suriano comes back to take 133, wonder if we give the keys to Shawver at 125 or try to get someone in the portal. Shawver wrestled well at 125 at B1Gs so interesting decision. Of course if Suriano doesn't come back which I think is what happens, we need a 133 in the portal. Hope Suriano just is up front with Goodale and the team early so we can move forward at 125/133 in the offseason.

Not sure you can get anyone better than Shawver in the portal (but who knows)
Maybe we can convince Spencer Lee that he needs a change of scenery!
Imagine the wrestling going on at Edgar's MMA Camp
Suriano/RIvera and Frankie Edgar!

• Three-time Pennsylvania placer and 2020 state champion, Will Betancourt 133, didn't wrestle a match for Lock Haven, but after announcing that he had entered the transfer portal, was followed by Purdue Head Coach Tony Ersland, Rutgers Head Coach Scott Goodale, and George Mason Head Coach Frank Beasley,

Not sure you can get anyone better than Shawver in the portal (but who knows)
Maybe we can convince Spencer Lee that he needs a change of scenery!
Imagine the wrestling going on at Edgar's MMA Camp
Suriano/RIvera and Frankie Edgar!
Yeah I think 133 is our target in the portal if Suriano doesn't come back. Shawver will be more than fine at 125 once he gets a real season of S&C.

Hope MVB comes back for another year. He'll be even better at 149 next year.

Only issue I see is where do you slot Sammy if MVB is at 149 and SeaBass is at 141? I doubt he has much interest in redshirting.

MVB looks pretty comfortable at 149 I don't know why he would bump up.

Only issue I see is where do you slot Sammy if MVB is at 149 and SeaBass is at 141? I doubt he has much interest in redshirting.
As good as MVB has been, don't discount Sammy's chances of taking 149. It will much depend on how well he does building strength. And MVB has to stay the course better than he has done in the past. I don't think 157 is as out of the question as others do for MVB. It isn't just that he found a better weight for himself, he's a much different and improved wrestler. If he could put on 8lbs of muscle, he might do well at 157.

Reactions: njsportsphan
Hi Everyone,
Just to be clear I will never post under another screen name. I thought 141VB157 was pretty clear that is was me with this screen name. Of course, I did the screen name when Mike was 141 & John was at 157. I very rarely post anything unless I feel someone is attacking my kid! LOL
Thanks for all the shout outs for Mike's performance this weekend. It was an incredible run, especially after the first loss. He was really down on himself and to dig deep to get himself mentally ready for Murin. Too be honest, when Murin dropped down into wrestlebacks Sue and I were planning our trip back home and we were changing our locks to the house! LOL We sat in the stands and watched every win and basically looked at each and said who is that kid? He told me that after the first loss he realized it could possibly be his last match and he was not going to lose. Who figured it would hold true.
Couple of things: 1. Mike is looking to return for another year, especially after this weekend! 2. Everyone new the headlock was coming. Coaches, Mikey, and I were aware of it and they worked on defending it as soon as they found out he was our draw. Originally it was not supposed to be him and it changed the night before. It is a difficult headlock to stop as it comes from the left side. Most kids hit from the right and kids get used to the feeling, when it comes from the left it throws most wrestlers off. The Rutgers coaching staff from top to bottom has been great for the 6 years that my boys have been there. You can not ask for a better staff, so for all the crazies asking for their heads you guys are way off base. They want the kids to not only be good wrestlers but better men. The Rutgers community has been awesome too!
3. 149/157 - Mike will have to wait see what happens with his weight. My personal feeling is that 149 is the right weight class for him to succeed at a high level. When you look at Deakin at 157 I wonder how he was able to reach NCAA's at 157, however he will do what ever it takes to be on the team. Just never to 141 again ever! I am not saying he deserves anything, obviously next year there will be several at that weight and coaches will have to determine who earns it. Honestly, if it is a normal year nobody will know until competitions starts. Lots of good wrestlers at 149. Alvarez, MVB, Aragona, Santos, & Angelo and I might be missing some.
4. Criticism - I think every wrestler can handle some criticism. Sometimes I read some of them and I agree with them. However sometimes fans can be a little brutal on this forum. I think the criticism is good but before posting it, maybe think if it was your son or someone you knew personally before hitting the send button. These are great kids that work really hard and devoted their life to succeeding at Rutgers.
Thanks again for all that reached out to me through, FB, text, phone, twitter, my phone would not stop. That's one great thing about the wrestling community it is a tight group and we all know each other.
Michael Van Brill ( Dad )

Dad
I miss seeing you and mom who are two of my favorite parents of RU wrestlers. I especially miss kissing your lovely bride so give her my best. Your 2 sons have always been so kind to me and my wife in practice and at meets, even when she was failing. You guys have done a superb job with those boys and they deserve the best. I am thrilled MVB will return and as I said if I could have I would still be in college. Tell Mike I will miss being in the stands at the NCAAs for the first time in 40 years with this crazy pandemic but will be with him in spirit so get him on the podium.
Billy G

Hi Everyone,
Just to be clear I will never post under another screen name. I thought 141VB157 was pretty clear that is was me with this screen name. Of course, I did the screen name when Mike was 141 & John was at 157. I very rarely post anything unless I feel someone is attacking my kid! LOL
Thanks for all the shout outs for Mike's performance this weekend. It was an incredible run, especially after the first loss. He was really down on himself and to dig deep to get himself mentally ready for Murin. Too be honest, when Murin dropped down into wrestlebacks Sue and I were planning our trip back home and we were changing our locks to the house! LOL We sat in the stands and watched every win and basically looked at each and said who is that kid? He told me that after the first loss he realized it could possibly be his last match and he was not going to lose. Who figured it would hold true.
Couple of things: 1. Mike is looking to return for another year, especially after this weekend! 2. Everyone new the headlock was coming. Coaches, Mikey, and I were aware of it and they worked on defending it as soon as they found out he was our draw. Originally it was not supposed to be him and it changed the night before. It is a difficult headlock to stop as it comes from the left side. Most kids hit from the right and kids get used to the feeling, when it comes from the left it throws most wrestlers off. The Rutgers coaching staff from top to bottom has been great for the 6 years that my boys have been there. You can not ask for a better staff, so for all the crazies asking for their heads you guys are way off base. They want the kids to not only be good wrestlers but better men. The Rutgers community has been awesome too!
3. 149/157 - Mike will have to wait see what happens with his weight. My personal feeling is that 149 is the right weight class for him to succeed at a high level. When you look at Deakin at 157 I wonder how he was able to reach NCAA's at 157, however he will do what ever it takes to be on the team. Just never to 141 again ever! I am not saying he deserves anything, obviously next year there will be several at that weight and coaches will have to determine who earns it. Honestly, if it is a normal year nobody will know until competitions starts. Lots of good wrestlers at 149. Alvarez, MVB, Aragona, Santos, & Angelo and I might be missing some.
4. Criticism - I think every wrestler can handle some criticism. Sometimes I read some of them and I agree with them. However sometimes fans can be a little brutal on this forum. I think the criticism is good but before posting it, maybe think if it was your son or someone you knew personally before hitting the send button. These are great kids that work really hard and devoted their life to succeeding at Rutgers.
Thanks again for all that reached out to me through, FB, text, phone, twitter, my phone would not stop. That's one great thing about the wrestling community it is a tight group and we all know each other.
Michael Van Brill ( Dad )

Congratulations to Mike & your family Mr. Vanbrill.
Well deserved!! I look forward to seeing Mike make a podium run. He has all the confidence in the world now.

Dad
I miss seeing you and mom who are two of my favorite parents of RU wrestlers. I especially miss kissing your lovely bride so give her my best. Your 2 sons have always been so kind to me and my wife in practice and at meets, even when she was failing. You guys have done a superb job with those boys and they deserve the best. I am thrilled MVB will return and as I said if I could have I would still be in college. Tell Mike I will miss being in the stands at the NCAAs for the first time in 40 years with this crazy pandemic but will be with him in spirit so get him on the podium.
Billy G
Thanks Bill, We miss you also. Your the best, but I will have to wrestle you if you want to steal my wife! LOL I put my money on you.

Mike
I will always love her to death. Can’t steal her as she is too pretty for a lug like me..., Go MVB

Reactions: 141VB157
Congratulations to Mike & your family Mr. Vanbrill.
Well deserved!! I look forward to seeing Mike make a podium run. He has all the confidence in the world now.
Thank you! We are excited to go to St. Louis and watch him do what he can do to be an All American! It is not an easy task and that's why it is such a treasured accomplishment for these wrestlers. If he let's himself go and sprinkle in some good luck anything is possible!

Reactions: TRU2RU
Thank you! We are excited to go to St. Louis and watch him do what he can do to be an All American! It is not an easy task and that's why it is such a treasured accomplishment for these wrestlers. If he let's himself go and sprinkle in some good luck anything is possible!
Goodale gets a senior to make a deep run annually. No reason why it can’t be your son this year. Happy for you guys.

i think we as wrestling fans who grew up loving this great sport, and especially our state university..get so emotionally involved that we post things .. not so much to berate any kid, and forget that their are posters on here personally involved with the team.....i posted after mikes match out of frustration..it wasn't
malicious in anyway, and mentioned john losing in the final seconds of him being an all american...i think i used the term "brain fart"
now me being an old geezer never took into consideration how he must have felt, and family also....i like most on here want to see our scarlet nights be where we rightfully belong in the amateur wrestling world..especially in one of the best wrestling states in the country,,,,so, concluding i think mr, van brill your post to say the least ,hit the target it was intended for. it also made me think of my post even though it was not meant to be disrespectful, and in the future as you stated ,think before you hit the send key,,,i'm wishing mike , and the team all the best in the ncaa tourney.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
To DVB (Dad Vanbrill), well said and thank you for an inside peek into the life of MVB and yourself. How freakin proud both of you must be of his accomplishment.

Dad
Billy G

The wrestling community is alot closer than we think!!

A truly wonderful family and loved hugging dad as well. Great people that hopefully will enjoy a huge run in St Lou!

i think we as wrestling fans who grew up loving this great sport, and especially our state university..get so emotionally involved that we post things .. not so much to berate any kid, and forget that their are posters on here personally involved with the team.....i posted after mikes match out of frustration..it wasn't
malicious in anyway, and mentioned john losing in the final seconds of him being an all american...i think i used the term "brain fart"
now me being an old geezer never took into consideration how he must have felt, and family also....i like most on here want to see our scarlet nights be where we rightfully belong in the amateur wrestling world..especially in one of the best wrestling states in the country,,,,so, concluding i think mr, van brill your post to say the least ,hit the target it was intended for. it also made me think of my post even though it was not meant to be disrespectful, and in the future as you stated ,think before you hit the send key,,,i'm wishing mike , and the team all the best in the ncaa tourney.
No problem. All good! Honestly sometimes I just cringe when reading some of the posts. The wrestlers are reading these forums too. All these guys are so nice and I do wonder sometimes, how it affects them when reading some of the posts. I know they are adults and are fair game but I know personally I can’t do it. However we felt the same frustration when he lost the first match. The Rivera family had to endure some of my vulgar language as a curse word or two escaped my mouth! Lol I am an emotional guy when it comes to my kids. Then when he started winning they had to endure more curse words as I was so excited I could not control myself!
Thanks again and hopefully we can pull out a few All Americans!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT