ADVERTISEMENT

Predicting Big Ten win totals: Ohio State looks to again lead league in 2020 college football season

BROTHERSKINNY

Heisman Winner
Oct 21, 2010
It isn't easy to predict the winner of a college football game the week before the game, so imagine trying to do so more than four months before the season itself is scheduled to start? It's a Herculean task that few are chosen to attempt, and only fewer succeed in their mission.

But do not fear, dear reader, for I plan to succeed. I am here today to correctly predict the outcome of every single Big Ten game in the 2020 season. "But Tom! That's madness," you scream at your screen, trying to talk me out of it.

Well, right now, madness is all we have, so let's embrace it. All of these predictions come with a 100% guarantee of success. Unless I'm wrong, then this was all just a joke, you guys.
Big Ten East
Ohio State (11-1, 8-1)
  • Wins: Bowling Green, at Oregon, Buffalo, Rutgers, Iowa, at Michigan State, Nebraska, Indiana, at Maryland, at Illinois, Michigan
  • Losses: at Penn State
  • Analysis: Ohio State was on an entirely different level than the rest of the Big Ten last season, and I don't expect much will change in 2020. Still, it's so incredibly difficult to get through any season undefeated, and there are plenty of potential landmines on this schedule. The most likely spot for a loss was on the road against Penn State a week after a road game against Michigan State. The early road game at Oregon won't be easy, but the Ducks will be working in a new quarterback while the Buckeyes will have Justin Fields, and that'll prove to be the difference.
Michigan (9-3, 7-2)
  • Wins: Ball State, Arkansas State, Wisconsin, Penn State, at Michigan State, Purdue, Maryland, at Rutgers, Indiana
  • Losses: at Washington, at Minnesota, at Ohio State
  • Analysis: It's well within the realm of possibility that Michigan opens the season with a road win against Washington, but that's not an easy task, and Michigan hasn't done enough recently to convince me it's the likely outcome. The rest of the schedule sets up somewhat favorably, however, and while Wisconsin and Penn State back-to-back won't be easy, having them at home helps. Minnesota on the road a week after Michigan State looks like a good bet for a loss, and of course, there's Ohio State. Until Michigan beats Ohio State, there's no reason to predict it will.
Penn State (9-3, 7-2)
  • Wins: Kent State, San Jose State, Northwestern, Iowa, Ohio State, at Indiana, Michigan State, Maryland, Rutgers
  • Losses: at Virginia Tech, at Michigan, at Nebraska
  • Analysis: The good news is I see Penn State being the only Big Ten team capable of beating Ohio State this season thanks to the game being at Beaver Stadium. The bad news for Penn State is the value of that win isn't enough to win the division thanks to road losses to Michigan and Nebraska (as well as Virginia Tech early in the season). Still, while this exercise has Penn State finishing third in the East due to a tiebreaker, the Nittany Lions are the biggest threat to Ohio State for a Big Ten title.
Indiana (8-4, 5-4)
  • Wins: Western Kentucky, Ball State, at UConn, Maryland, at Rutgers, Michigan State, Illinois, Purdue
  • Losses: at Wisconsin, Penn State, at Ohio State, at Michigan
  • Analysis: It felt weird doing an exercise like this and thinking, "Oh yeah, Indiana should win that game," so often, but that's exactly what happened. The Hoosiers post their second consecutive eight-win season, which would be the first time they've done that since the 1987-88 campaigns. Welcome to a strange new world in which you expect the Hoosiers to beat every Big Ten team on their schedule that isn't one of the conference's traditional powers.
Michigan State (5-7, 3-6)
  • Wins: Northwestern, Toledo, Miami, Minnesota, Rutgers
  • Losses:
  • at BYU, at Iowa, Michigan, Ohio State, at Indiana, at Penn State, at Maryland
  • Analysis: Honestly, it's hard to know what to expect from Michigan State in 2020. It's a team that hired a new coach late in the process, and then the coronavirus kept that new coach from having a spring practice with his new team, a new team with a lot of key players missing from last year's squad. Considering all of this, it's hard to picture the Spartans being a bowl team in 2020. I have them beating both Miami and Minnesota at home, but those games are coin flips for the most part. If they go the other way, it's probably going to be an ugly year.
Maryland (4-8, 2-7)
  • Wins: Towson, Northern Illinois, Rutgers, Michigan State
  • Losses: at West Virginia, Minnesota, at Indiana, at Northwestern, Wisconsin, at Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State
  • Analysis: There's a point in each offseason when I wonder if this will finally be the year that Maryland takes a step forward because it routinely has one of the more talented rosters in the Big Ten. Then I look at its schedule and realize it's not going to happen. Not only does Maryland play Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan State for its final four games of the season, but it draws both Minnesota and Wisconsin from the West. Those two might be the two best teams in the other division. Cherish the wins when you find them this year, Terps fans.
Rutgers (3-9, 1-8)
  • Wins: Monmouth, Syracuse, Nebraska
  • Losses: at Temple, at Ohio State, Illinois, at Purdue, Indiana, at Maryland, Michigan, at Michigan State, Penn State
  • Analysis: The biggest difference in Rutgers this season under coach Greg Schiano will be that the team looks a lot more competent and competitive. I don't think it will lead to many more wins, however. Still, I do think the Scarlet Knights will get somebody they aren't expected to get in conference play, and the home date against Nebraska seems like a solid bet. They could get Illinois, too, but with that game being the week after Ohio State, I'd expect the Knights to be licking a few wounds.....Continued......
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...e-football-season/ar-BB13ksw5?ocid=spartanntp

For me I believe it will be a race between PSU and Ohio State with OSU having the edge. Only reason I'm giving PSU a fighting chance in the division is they have Ohio State at home for the white out. If there's order's for limited or no fans still going on then though, mail it into OSU next year

It isn't easy to predict the winner of a college football game the week before the game, so imagine trying to do so more than four months before the season itself is scheduled to start? It's a Herculean task that few are chosen to attempt, and only fewer succeed in their mission.

But do not fear, dear reader, for I plan to succeed. I am here today to correctly predict the outcome of every single Big Ten game in the 2020 season. "But Tom! That's madness," you scream at your screen, trying to talk me out of it.

Well, right now, madness is all we have, so let's embrace it. All of these predictions come with a 100% guarantee of success. Unless I'm wrong, then this was all just a joke, you guys.
Big Ten East
Ohio State (11-1, 8-1)
  • Wins: Bowling Green, at Oregon, Buffalo, Rutgers, Iowa, at Michigan State, Nebraska, Indiana, at Maryland, at Illinois, Michigan
  • Losses: at Penn State
  • Analysis: Ohio State was on an entirely different level than the rest of the Big Ten last season, and I don't expect much will change in 2020. Still, it's so incredibly difficult to get through any season undefeated, and there are plenty of potential landmines on this schedule. The most likely spot for a loss was on the road against Penn State a week after a road game against Michigan State. The early road game at Oregon won't be easy, but the Ducks will be working in a new quarterback while the Buckeyes will have Justin Fields, and that'll prove to be the difference.
Michigan (9-3, 7-2)
  • Wins: Ball State, Arkansas State, Wisconsin, Penn State, at Michigan State, Purdue, Maryland, at Rutgers, Indiana
  • Losses: at Washington, at Minnesota, at Ohio State
  • Analysis: It's well within the realm of possibility that Michigan opens the season with a road win against Washington, but that's not an easy task, and Michigan hasn't done enough recently to convince me it's the likely outcome. The rest of the schedule sets up somewhat favorably, however, and while Wisconsin and Penn State back-to-back won't be easy, having them at home helps. Minnesota on the road a week after Michigan State looks like a good bet for a loss, and of course, there's Ohio State. Until Michigan beats Ohio State, there's no reason to predict it will.
Penn State (9-3, 7-2)
  • Wins: Kent State, San Jose State, Northwestern, Iowa, Ohio State, at Indiana, Michigan State, Maryland, Rutgers
  • Losses: at Virginia Tech, at Michigan, at Nebraska
  • Analysis: The good news is I see Penn State being the only Big Ten team capable of beating Ohio State this season thanks to the game being at Beaver Stadium. The bad news for Penn State is the value of that win isn't enough to win the division thanks to road losses to Michigan and Nebraska (as well as Virginia Tech early in the season). Still, while this exercise has Penn State finishing third in the East due to a tiebreaker, the Nittany Lions are the biggest threat to Ohio State for a Big Ten title.
Indiana (8-4, 5-4)
  • Wins: Western Kentucky, Ball State, at UConn, Maryland, at Rutgers, Michigan State, Illinois, Purdue
  • Losses: at Wisconsin, Penn State, at Ohio State, at Michigan
  • Analysis: It felt weird doing an exercise like this and thinking, "Oh yeah, Indiana should win that game," so often, but that's exactly what happened. The Hoosiers post their second consecutive eight-win season, which would be the first time they've done that since the 1987-88 campaigns. Welcome to a strange new world in which you expect the Hoosiers to beat every Big Ten team on their schedule that isn't one of the conference's traditional powers.
Michigan State (5-7, 3-6)
  • Wins: Northwestern, Toledo, Miami, Minnesota, Rutgers
  • Losses:
  • at BYU, at Iowa, Michigan, Ohio State, at Indiana, at Penn State, at Maryland
  • Analysis: Honestly, it's hard to know what to expect from Michigan State in 2020. It's a team that hired a new coach late in the process, and then the coronavirus kept that new coach from having a spring practice with his new team, a new team with a lot of key players missing from last year's squad. Considering all of this, it's hard to picture the Spartans being a bowl team in 2020. I have them beating both Miami and Minnesota at home, but those games are coin flips for the most part. If they go the other way, it's probably going to be an ugly year.
Maryland (4-8, 2-7)
  • Wins: Towson, Northern Illinois, Rutgers, Michigan State
  • Losses: at West Virginia, Minnesota, at Indiana, at Northwestern, Wisconsin, at Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State
  • Analysis: There's a point in each offseason when I wonder if this will finally be the year that Maryland takes a step forward because it routinely has one of the more talented rosters in the Big Ten. Then I look at its schedule and realize it's not going to happen. Not only does Maryland play Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State and Michigan State for its final four games of the season, but it draws both Minnesota and Wisconsin from the West. Those two might be the two best teams in the other division. Cherish the wins when you find them this year, Terps fans.
Rutgers (3-9, 1-8)
  • Wins: Monmouth, Syracuse, Nebraska
  • Losses: at Temple, at Ohio State, Illinois, at Purdue, Indiana, at Maryland, Michigan, at Michigan State, Penn State
  • Analysis: The biggest difference in Rutgers this season under coach Greg Schiano will be that the team looks a lot more competent and competitive. I don't think it will lead to many more wins, however. Still, I do think the Scarlet Knights will get somebody they aren't expected to get in conference play, and the home date against Nebraska seems like a solid bet. They could get Illinois, too, but with that game being the week after Ohio State, I'd expect the Knights to be licking a few wounds.....Continued......
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nc...e-football-season/ar-BB13ksw5?ocid=spartanntp
Not so fast my friend. When I saw RU was 3-9 I chuckled.If Greg doesn't ,at least. break even this first year then ,then you may call me GRANPA,Sonnyboy.

Temple is by no means a gimme for us next year. They should be and in a few years once Greg turns over the roster will be, but away at a team who went 8-5 last year is no guarantee for us. Honestly Temple should be the favorite, give it 3 years and it will be different
Russo at QB for his senior year that is going to be tough to beat. They have an outstanding big play receiver in Jaden Blue and they have a running back coming off of a very impressive freshman campaign, Re'Mahn Davis. They lost a lot of kids off of a very good defense, but the question is will Rutgers have a QB that can keep pace with Russo and the Temple offense? I would expect Temple to be a 3-5 point favorite going into the game.

No shame in losing to temple next year considering where we are as a program . Schiano 1 lost to temple too

I may not agree with the OP but if it keeps him from doing his normal IloveDonald crap then may he stick with sports.

Not so fast my friend. When I saw RU was 3-9 I chuckled.If Greg doesn't ,at least. break even this first year then ,then you may call me GRANPA,Sonnyboy.
That's a tall order... and harder now will no spring practice season. GS has to change a whole program/culture.. hard to do when no one is there.

Looking to be 1-0.

Flood.jpg

Temple beat a Maryland team last year that beat RU 48-7. It would take a huge dropoff for Temple to lose to RU this year, if there is a this year. Temple has its best QB, 2 best WRs, best RB and all but 2 of 5 starting offensive lineman returning. Rod Carey is 5-2 against Big 10 teams with G5 talent. He knows what he's doing. Temple and Penn State gave Memphis its only 2 losses last year.

That's a tall order... and harder now will no spring practice season. GS has to change a whole program/culture.. hard to do when no one is there.
I am ALWAYS optimistic in the Spring time.Truth be known THE OPTIMIST was my H.S. YEARBOOK. Newark South Side,1942.(NOW SHABBAZ)

Temple is by no means a gimme for us next year. They should be and in a few years once Greg turns over the roster will be, but away at a team who went 8-5 last year is no guarentee for us. Honestly Temple should be the favorite, give it 3 years and it will be different
No one expects it to be a gimme game for Rutgers but let's not act as if Temple is Ohio State. Temple doesn't have the ability to reload every year and this year Temple lost a lot of talent on both sides of the ball. Going 8-5 this year at Temple will be much harder then any of you expect. This perception has to be put in check. Going into the 2020 season Rutgers returns 78% (76% off, & 79% def) of its production from last season. That ranks Rutgers 15th in the nation out of 130 programs. Temple, on the other hand, is ranked 95th nationally in what they return. Since they don't recruit a ton of 3-stars or 4 stars players, it takes time to develop these kids. Temple lost a lot of 2 and 3-year starters. Temple will start a lot of newbies this year and it will show. In another year or two, Temple will be back at that level of 8 or 9 wins, but until then expect this be a tough game for both sides.

Reactions: Yeah Baby
No one expects it to be a gimme game for Rutgers but let's not act as if Temple is Ohio State. Temple doesn't have the ability to reload every year and this year Temple lost a lot of talent on both sides of the ball. Going 8-5 this year at Temple will be much harder then any of you expect. This perception has to be put in check. Going into the 2020 season Rutgers returns 78% (76% off, & 79% def) of its production from last season. That ranks Rutgers 15th in the nation out of 130 programs. Temple, on the other hand, is ranked 95th nationally in what they return. Since they don't recruit a ton of 3-stars or 4 stars players, it takes time to develop these kids. Temple lost a lot of 2 and 3-year starters. Temple will start a lot of newbies this year and it will show. In another year or two, Temple will be back at that level of 8 or 9 wins, but until then expect this be a tough game for both sides.
Agree, that is why Temple will only be a 3-5 pt. favorite IMHO. If it weren’t for Russo, Blue, and Davis, along with a decent OL returning, Rutgers would probably be favored. Their defense lost some really good players that will be hard to replace.

You are giving our current roster entirely too much credit. If we were even a lower level average Big 10 team the way Northwestern, Indiana and even Maryland have been the last few years that's one thing, but we were the worst team in the P5 the last 2 years. The perenial "Worst P5 Team" Kansas kicked the sh*t out of us a year ago, we have fallen to a talent level that I don't think we would even have a winning record in the Mountain West... It will take Greg bare minimum 3 years to effectively turn the roster. Not saying it will take 3 years to beat the likes of Temple, but year one with a roster full of Ash's recruits and our current QB situation is going to be a sh*tshow from a on the field standpoint. If all goes right in 3 years or so Greg will have us back to being a 6-7 win team in this conferance. I think it's naive to think Rutgers can ever be a perenniel 9-10 win program in this conferance though. Once every 4-5 years with a special senior class with a good mix of 6-6 in between

You are giving our current roster entirely too much credit. If we were even a lower level average Big 10 team the way Northwestern, Indiana and even Maryland have been the last few years that's one thing, but we were the worst team in the P5 the last 2 years. The perenial "Worst P5 Team" Kansas kicked the sh*t out of us a year ago, we have fallen to a talent level that I don't think we would even have a winning record in the Mountain West... It will take Greg bare minimum 3 years to effectively turn the roster. Not saying it will take 3 years to beat the likes of Temple, but year one with a roster full of Ash's recruits and our current QB situation is going to be a sh*tshow from a on the field standpoint. If all goes right in 3 years or so Greg will have us back to being a 6-7 win team in this conferance. I think it's naive to think Rutgers can ever be a perenniel 9-10 win program in this conferance though. Once every 4-5 years with a special senior class with a good mix of 6-6 in between
Here's a quick football lesson, football 101: The difference between the majority of FBS programs is not as significant as you think. There are exceptions, but it's about a dozen that fit that description. In most cases, there are usually 4 or 5 plays in a game that really decide the outcome.

Step 1: gather talent to compete. As of right now, Rutgers is not deep across the board, but they do have some stars in critical positions. When you play teams that are not superior to you, you have a real shot at winning if those stars can enforce their will on the game. Temple falls into that category.

Step 2: the quality fo the coaching can elevate the play of those who are being coached. Ex: Nunzio took the same players and had Rutgers playing competitive ball when compared to Ash. Schiano is even better at that. Also, Schiano gathered several transfers that can make the difference against teams like Temple. Rutgers just has much better coaching than any other time in the last 8 years.

Step 3: matchups are crucial to really determine the outcome of the game. Schiano loaded up on a few ringers along the DL. Temple lost 2 (3 depending on the lineup) starters on the OL, and if you don't think for a minute that doesn't impact Temple's ability to operate a successful offense, then you know even less football than I thought. Schiano will come up with something to give Temple problems. If you can't control the trenches, it will be a long day. On the other side of the ball, in most cases, I would say Rutgers is at a disadvantage, but Temple has to replace 8 or 9 starters. It's a different ball game now. Temple, like most G5 schools, doesn't have depth that can step right in and continue to play at a high level.

Step 4: developing a program doesn't take 5 years like it did in the past. The introduction of grad students and the transfer portal has shrunk the length of time. P5 schools have been able to take advantage of this, and Rutgers will benefit from this under Schiano. The quality of the players is different than what you saw under Ash.

Bottom line, there are teams on your schedule you circle on the calendar because there is a real chance to win. If you genuinely understand how football works, then you wouldn't have this naive approach to the game between Rutgers and Temple.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Here's a quick football lesson, football 101: The difference between the majority of FBS programs is not as significant as you think. There are exceptions, but it's about a dozen that fit that description. In most cases, there are usually 4 or 5 plays in a game that really decide the outcome.

Step 1: gather talent to compete. As of right now, Rutgers is not deep across the board, but they do have some stars in critical positions. When you play teams that are not superior to you, you have a real shot at winning if those stars can enforce their will on the game. Temple falls into that category.

Step 2: the quality fo the coaching can elevate the play of those who are being coached. Ex: Nunzio took the same players and had Rutgers playing competitive ball when compared to Ash. Schiano is even better at that. Also, Schiano gathered several transfers that can make the difference against teams like Temple. Rutgers just has much better coaching than any other time in the last 8 years.

Step 3: matchups are crucial to really determine the outcome of the game. Schiano loaded up on a few ringers along the DL. Temple lost 2 (3 depending on the lineup) starters on the OL, and if you don't think for a minute that doesn't impact Temple's ability to operate a successful offense, then you know even less football than I thought. Schiano will come up with something to give Temple problems. If you can't control the trenches, it will be a long day. On the other side of the ball, in most cases, I would say Rutgers is at a disadvantage, but Temple has to replace 8 or 9 starters. It's a different ball game now. Temple, like most G5 schools, doesn't have depth that can step right in and continue to play at a high level.

Step 4: developing a program doesn't take 5 years like it did in the past. The introduction of grad students and the transfer portal has shrunk the length of time. P5 schools have been able to take advantage of this, and Rutgers will benefit from this under Schiano. The quality of the players is different than what you saw under Ash.

Bottom line, there are teams on your schedule you circle on the calendar because there is a real chance to win. If you genuinely understand how football works, then you wouldn't have this naive approach to the game between Rutgers and Temple.
So you are correct in most cases but your very first paragraph you already lost me. You are talking about how 4-5 plays a game can change an outcome... normally you are correct however that’s not the case when you have the kind of QB play we’ve had really since Nova left. Along with have far our program fell under ash. It’s hard to admit, but right now from a roster talent standpoint, we are dead last in the P5... you don’t not win a conference game since 2017 by having good or even decent football players. Greg needs time to turn the roster. You cannot walk into a program, I don’t care who you are and turn around a 2-10 football team who lost by an average of 33 points per game last season in conference in 1 season...

Here’s some football 101. Last year the fewest margin of loss for an in conference game was penn state who beat us by 21 with their backup qb who had never played a college game prior... the majority of our games (in conference) last season we lost by 30+ and our offense was quite literally the worst offense I’ve ever seen in cfb... bar none.

while I agree it won’t take 5 years to beat the likes of temple, and we have some ok players (I wouldn’t define any of them as stars... if you think our current guys have the talent level of Rice, the Mccourty’s, Leonard, or evening a guy like Hamilton... you are lost)...
you are counting on JUCO guys and transfers to turn around the team next year I believe you are in for a disappointment. Greg will turn it around in time but not with a roster full of ash’s recruits. The next 2 years at least will continue to be ugly from a W-L perspective

Last edited:
Reactions: scarletbergen
So you are correct in most cases but your very first paragraph you already lost me. You are talking about how 4-5 plays a game can change an outcome... normally you are correct however that’s not the case when you have the kind of QB play we’ve had really since Nova left. Along with have far our program fell under ash. It’s hard to admit, but right now from a roster talent standpoint, we are dead last in the P5... you don’t not win a conference game since 2017 by having good or even decent football players. Greg needs time to turn the roster. You cannot walk into a program, I don’t care who you are and turn around a 2-10 football team who lost by an average of 33 points per game last season in conference in 1 season...

Here’s some football 101. Last year the fewest margin of loss for an in conference game was penn state who beat us by 21 with their backup qb who had never played a college game prior... the majority of our games (in conference) last season we lost by 30+ and our offense was quite literally the worst offense I’ve ever seen in cfb... bar none.

while I agree it won’t take 5 years to beat the likes of temple, and we have some ok players (I wouldn’t define any of them as stars... if you think our current guys have the talent level of Rice, the Mccourty’s, Leonard, or evening a guy like Hamilton... you are lost)...
you are counting on JUCO guys and transfers to turn around the team next year I believe you are in for a disappointment. Greg will turn it around in time but not with a roster full of ash’s recruits. The next 2 years at least will continue to be ugly from a W-L perspective
You are now moving the goalpost. First, the focus was on Temple. Rutgers doesn't have a chance against them. I pointed out a few factors that gave Rutgers more than an opportunity to win the game. Now, you expand it to Penn State and others pounding the sh*t out of Rutgers because of XYZ. I never once said Rutgers was going to compete with every team on the schedule. What I said was there are teams on the schedule that Rutgers has a chance. WE, the two of us, focused on Temple, and I proceeded to explain to you with solid reasoning your explanation wasn't sounded. I think the combination of new blood (Schinao & staff, transfers, schemes) and returning veterans in crucial positions give Rutgers more than a real chance to win games against some of the other low hanging fruit (Temple, SU, Monmouth & Illinois).

Speaking of Penn State. That final score was not a blowout as you're trying to make your case. Remember, I said there are usually 4 or 5 plays a game that impacts the outcome? This was a 13-6 game early in the 4th quarter. Penn State opened the quarter with a TD to make it 20-6. Rutgers got the ball in good field position. A couple of runs by Pacheo and Langan gave Rutgers a first down short of midfield. Three of the next four plays sealed the outcome of the game. First, Langan was sacked for a six-yard loss. That threw Rutgers off schedule. Then Langan threw an incomplete pass. Now you're looking at 3rd and 16. Next play Langan breaks a run for 13 yards. It took a great play by PSU defenders to stop him short of a first down. Rutgers was forced to go for it on 4th down. Langan threw an incomplete pass. Essentially, the game was over. Up until that point, the game was competitive and still in doubt. PSU later tacked on another school late in the game to make the final score 27-6. Also, stop with the BS statements as if that gives you more credibility. So what PSU started a backup QB. He wasn't the reason they won. Combine several Rutgers mistakes at key times of the game and PSU's ability to run the ball for almost 300 yards was more of a deciding factor. PSU QB threw for 81 yards.

FYI, the final score isn't always indicative of how the game actually played. Anyone with EYES could see the Illinois game was competitive until 3 plays in the 3rd quarter turned a 10-10 into a blowout. Rutgers looked a lot better against Ohio State than some of the better teams in the B1G.

Don't bring a knife to a gunfight.

You are now moving the goalpost. First, the focus was on Temple. Rutgers doesn't have a chance against them. I pointed out a few factors that gave Rutgers more than an opportunity to win the game. Now, you expand it to Penn State and others pounding the sh*t out of Rutgers because of XYZ. I never once said Rutgers was going to compete with every team on the schedule. What I said was there are teams on the schedule that Rutgers has a chance. WE, the two of us, focused on Temple, and I proceeded to explain to you with solid reasoning your explanation wasn't sounded. I think the combination of new blood (Schinao & staff, transfers, schemes) and returning veterans in crucial positions give Rutgers more than a real chance to win games against some of the other low hanging fruit (Temple, SU, Monmouth & Illinois).

Speaking of Penn State. That final score was not a blowout as you're trying to make your case. Remember, I said there are usually 4 or 5 plays a game that impacts the outcome? This was a 13-6 game early in the 4th quarter. Penn State opened the quarter with a TD to make it 20-6. Rutgers got the ball in good field position. A couple of runs by Pacheo and Langan gave Rutgers a first down short of midfield. Three of the next four plays sealed the outcome of the game. First, Langan was sacked for a six-yard loss. That threw Rutgers off schedule. Then Langan threw an incomplete pass. Now you're looking at 3rd and 16. Next play Langan breaks a run for 13 yards. It took a great play by PSU defenders to stop him short of a first down. Rutgers was forced to go for it on 4th down. Langan threw an incomplete pass. Essentially, the game was over. Up until that point, the game was competitive and still in doubt. PSU later tacked on another school late in the game to make the final score 27-6. Also, stop with the BS statements as if that gives you more credibility. So what PSU started a backup QB. He wasn't the reason they won. Combine several Rutgers mistakes at key times of the game and PSU's ability to run the ball for almost 300 yards was more of a deciding factor. PSU QB threw for 81 yards.

FYI, the final score isn't always indicative of how the game actually played. Anyone with EYES could see the Illinois game was competitive until 3 plays in the 3rd quarter turned a 10-10 into a blowout. Rutgers looked a lot better against Ohio State than some of the better teams in the B1G.

Don't bring a knife to a gunfight.

ain’t a gunfight son let’s talk temple... they have a 5th year starter at qb returning as well as a stud young rb and defense coming off an 8-5 season while playing at home against us and you think that’s a game we should win next year.... I think you are forgetting just how bad our qb play has been, it’s been an utter disaster. Art looks exactly like a qb who got benched in HS, not a shot at the kid but he isn’t a good qb and he’s maybe the best we have?

Until we show we have a quarterback that can actually lead an offense you are not going to convince me we have any kind of shot that early in the season playing away in a season against an 8-5 football team with a good experienced QB in Russo and young stud rb with a new coaching staff, lack of spring practice and overall hot garbage roster that we have a good chance of winning. Maybe a 1 in 5 shot realistically but not a good shot... Temple is going to score at least 20 points on us, and no I’m not convinced at all that our offense currently can put up more points than that. It’s easy to have high hopes before the season especially with a new coaching staff, but I think you lost sight of how bad our roster really is right now. I don’t think we have a single player that would start for OSU, Michigan or PSU... it’s gonna take time to rebound.

one of my biggest gripes about hiring back Greg was exactly this when you have fans who think he can come in, instantly turn the team around and we’re back to bowling by 2022.... you can’t turnover a roster that quickly with freshman, JUCO’s and transfer’s who are leaving their schools because they weren’t good enough there

Reactions: Soulcitywalker
ain’t a gunfight son let’s talk temple... they have a 5th year starter at qb returning as well as a stud young rb and defense coming off an 8-5 season while playing at home against us and you think that’s a game we should win next year.... I think you are forgetting just how bad our qb play has been, it’s been an utter disaster. Art looks exactly like a qb who got benched in HS, not a shot at the kid but he isn’t a good qb and he’s maybe the best we have?

Until we show we have a quarterback that can actually lead an offense you are not going to convince me we have any kind of shot that early in the season playing away in a season against an 8-5 football team with a good experienced QB in Russo and young stud rb with a new coaching staff, lack of spring practice and overall hot garbage roster that we have a good chance of winning. Maybe a 1 in 5 shot realistically but not a good shot... Temple is going to score at least 20 points on us, and no I’m not convinced at all that our offense currently can put up more points than that. It’s easy to have high hopes before the season especially with a new coaching staff, but I think you lost sight of how bad our roster really is right now. I don’t think we have a single player that would start for OSU, Michigan or PSU... it’s gonna take time to rebound.

one of my biggest gripes about hiring back Greg was exactly this when you have fans who think he can come in, instantly turn the team around and we’re back to bowling by 2022.... you can’t turnover a roster that quickly with freshman, JUCO’s and transfer’s who are leaving their schools because they weren’t good enough there

Now Russo is the difference-maker? Your last post was the backup at PSU was the difference-maker. Which argument are you going to stand with at the end? Who will it be, an experience QB or inexperience QB that will/did in Rutgers? I say it all the time, some posters need to get up off their knees and wipe the chin. Art doesn't have Russo's experience, but he has more than the PSU QB who you tried to credit as the reason PSU won against Rutgers. Btw, I proved that PSU myth to be wrong.

Art has made mistakes, but if you keep him in check, he is serviceable at the position. Even Langan is serviceable as long as you don't have him do things outside of his abilities. Rutgers is surrounding the QB position with more talent than any time since 2014. I'm going to drop a nugget on you. If you recall the 2012 team, there was a young Gary Nova who wasn't much different than Art. Nova did experience the hardship like Art because talented receivers and a good RB surrounded him. They were able to hide his youth and mistakes. Fast forward to 2014, and Nova was a stud at QB under OC Friedgen. Art (& Langan) can develop similarly under OC Gleeson, who is another qualified and quality coach. A good coach does play a role in the development of a QB who has the tools. Could you really say that for Art or Langan under Ash?

Facts: Temple returns something like 2 starters on defense. On offense, they lose 2 (3 depending on the lineup) starters along the OL. They lose 2 starters at receiver.

Gone are the days of rebuilding programs taking 5 years. It's about matchups, quality coaching, taking advantage of the transfer portal, grad players, development, and resources. A full rebuild has been reduced to 3 years, and being competitive shouldn't be out of the question in year one. No one expects 6 wins, but having players play hard and be competitive is expected and steal a game against teams close talent. See Nunzio towards the end of the season for an example. He did it on the run. When you figure that out, then we can have a discussion.

How strong is your word? History has shown you make statements, but lack creditability. In this debate several times you have changed course when proven wrong. I recall you saying back in early March that the coronavirus would never surpass 27K in deaths. We are over 67K and growing. I sense a pattern developing.

Now Russo is the difference-maker? Your last post was the backup at PSU was the difference-maker. Which argument are you going to stand with at the end? Who will it be, an experience QB or inexperience QB that will/did in Rutgers? I say it all the time, some posters need to get up off their knees and wipe the chin. Art doesn't have Russo's experience, but he has more than the PSU QB who you tried to credit as the reason PSU won against Rutgers. Btw, I proved that PSU myth to be wrong.

Art has made mistakes, but if you keep him in check, he is serviceable at the position. Even Langan is serviceable as long as you don't have him do things outside of his abilities. Rutgers is surrounding the QB position with more talent than any time since 2014. I'm going to drop a nugget on you. If you recall the 2012 team, there was a young Gary Nova who wasn't much different than Art. Nova did experience the hardship like Art because talented receivers and a good RB surrounded him. They were able to hide his youth and mistakes. Fast forward to 2014, and Nova was a stud at QB under OC Friedgen. Art (& Langan) can develop similarly under OC Gleeson, who is another qualified and quality coach. A good coach does play a role in the development of a QB who has the tools. Could you really say that for Art or Langan under Ash?

Facts: Temple returns something like 2 starters on defense. On offense, they lose 2 (3 depending on the lineup) starters along the OL. They lose 2 starters at receiver.

Gone are the days of rebuilding programs taking 5 years. It's about matchups, quality coaching, taking advantage of the transfer portal, grad players, development, and resources. A full rebuild has been reduced to 3 years, and being competitive shouldn't be out of the question in year one. No one expects 6 wins, but having players play hard and be competitive is expected and steal a game against teams close talent. See Nunzio towards the end of the season for an example. He did it on the run. When you figure that out, then we can have a discussion.

How strong is your word? History has shown you make statements, but lack creditability. In this debate several times you have changed course when proven wrong. I recall you saying back in early March that the coronavirus would never surpass 27K in deaths. We are over 67K and growing. I sense a pattern developing.
Your not proving anyone wrong as you claim because we fundamentally disagree on our current QB situation. You claim that Art is serviceble, I disagree. No disrespect to the kid personally, but he shouldn't be playing D1 P5 football let alone be the starting QB. Yes a quality QB is absolutely necessary in today's game. If you can't at least keep opposing defenses on edge, they will simply stack the box with 8 guys like they did on us last year.

Now the one piece of hope i do have is Peyton Powell. I love that we have a QB who played high level Texas HS football in a shotgun offense coming in. If Powell can come in and use his legs to extend plays and find receivers, it changes everything about the season and my prediction when it comes to Temple... I need to see it though, I can't just sit here and make predictions based on potential, I'm simply judging what I've seen on the field. What I've seen on the field from Art has been ugly for 2 years and I really didn't see much improvement. Granted his coaching staff was a disaster...

Your not proving anyone wrong as you claim because we fundamentally disagree on our current QB situation. You claim that Art is serviceble, I disagree. No disrespect to the kid personally, but he shouldn't be playing D1 P5 football let alone be the starting QB. Yes a quality QB is absolutely necessary in today's game. If you can't at least keep opposing defenses on edge, they will simply stack the box with 8 guys like they did on us last year.

Now the one piece of hope i do have is Peyton Powell. I love that we have a QB who played high level Texas HS football in a shotgun offense coming in. If Powell can come in and use his legs to extend plays and find receivers, it changes everything about the season and my prediction when it comes to Temple... I need to see it though, I can't just sit here and make predictions based on potential, I'm simply judging what I've seen on the field. What I've seen on the field from Art has been ugly for 2 years and I really didn't see much improvement. Granted his coaching staff was a disaster...
What are your qualifications to say Art isn't a D1 QB?

What are your qualifications to say Art isn't a D1 QB?
My qualifications are watching every Rutgers football game over the last two seasons and seeing what he does on the field....

Art averaged 6.3 yards per attempt last season and if you take away his one 74 yard TD his average drops to 5.2 yards per attempt... Abysmal numbers. Not to mention He is a statue in the Pocket, in the modern college game "Prototype" Peyton Manning type QB's are going away, you have to be able to use your legs in this conference if you want to be a successful QB. I expected him to struggle initially but take a step last season but in reality he took a step backwords and all I could think watching him was "I see why he got benched in HS"... I'm sure he's a nice kid and like many of our former QB's could go to a smaller school and have success playing FCS level ball, he's just not a D1 P5 QB.

Watching every other school in our conference's qb's compared to ours was night and day and if we can't run an effective offense it doesn't matter what LB transfers we have coming in...

I'm holding out hope for Powell like I said but the lack of spring practices isn't helping his chances for success next year. I just watch his HS film compared to Sit and it's two different players, one is explosive and can extend plays and one looks like Drew Bledsoe...

My qualifications are watching every Rutgers football game over the last two seasons and seeing what he does on the field....

Art averaged 6.3 yards per attempt last season and if you take away his one 74 yard TD his average drops to 5.2 yards per attempt... Abysmal numbers. Not to mention He is a statue in the Pocket, in the modern college game "Prototype" Peyton Manning type QB's are going away, you have to be able to use your legs in this conference if you want to be a successful QB. I expected him to struggle initially but take a step last season but in reality he took a step backwords and all I could think watching him was "I see why he got benched in HS"... I'm sure he's a nice kid and like many of our former QB's could go to a smaller school and have success playing FCS level ball, he's just not a D1 P5 QB.

Watching every other school in our conference's qb's compared to ours was night and day and if we can't run an effective offense it doesn't matter what LB transfers we have coming in...

I'm holding out hope for Powell like I said but the lack of spring practices isn't helping his chances for success next year. I just watch his HS film compared to Sit and it's two different players, one is explosive and can extend plays and one looks like Drew Bledsoe...
You are an expert according to your qualifications. I don't know why I got into this debate with you. You just schooled me as to what makes a D1 player... NOT.:Laughing
I probably forgot more football than you'll learn in a life time.

Last edited:
You are an expert according to your qualifications. I don't know why I got into this debate with you. You just schooled me as to what makes a D1 player... NOT.:Laughing
I probably forgot more football than you'll learn in a life time.
So you have no response then?

Ok why don't you explain to me what exactly you've seen from Art on the field that makes you believe he can be decent for us? All of your reasoning is based on wishful thinking. You haven't given a single reason why Art will improve by leaps and bounds (which is what he will need to do to even qualify as "decent"). So I'm all ears Nostradamus, what have you seen from Art that has you so convinced he is a decent qb?

This is quality back and forth right here!
:uzi:

So you have no response then?

Ok why don't you explain to me what exactly you've seen from Art on the field that makes you believe he can be decent for us? All of your reasoning is based on wishful thinking. You haven't given a single reason why Art will improve by leaps and bounds (which is what he will need to do to even qualify as "decent"). So I'm all ears Nostradamus, what have you seen from Art that has you so convinced he is a decent qb?
Art has all the tools but hasn't had a QB coach to correct some of his issues. Two of his biggest issues are locking onto one receiver and happy feet in the pocket. Kill is a good HC, but not a QB coach. Last year Art had a solid QB coach but chose to redshirt, so he never took full advantage of the situation. He did receive enough where someone knowledgeable of the game could see the subtle improvements. Art's completion rate was under 50% as a frosh to 65% in three games before redshirting. Yeah, he only threw about a quarter of the passes from he frosh year, but you could see the growth in him. Gleeson who is another quality QB coach should continue Art's development.

The keyword, if you're listening, is serviceable: Take the Michigan and BC games and look at them for what Art was able to accomplish. Art completed 70% and 69% of his passes. That in itself is a big step in the right direction since he was under 50% for his frosh year. Remember, there were only two games all of last year where he threw for over 50%. That's 2 out of 12 games. Last was 2 of 3. The thing that really sticks out is Art didn't have nearly the happy feet he did his first year. That in return allowed for a higher completion rate. He didn't lock onto a receiver as quickly simply because the clock in his head wasn't going off within two seconds of the snap. The other thing I noticed last year that was different was his ability to drive the ball into a tight window. Everyone knew Art had a cannon for an arm, but last year was the first time you saw it. The game slowed down and he understood timing with his receivers had to be better and it was better.

This year Art will continue to get the QB training that he sorely lacked as a frosh. Rutgers is adding quality skill players around him and he will be better as it continues to give him the faith he doesn't have to do it alone. Another important factor is the line has to continue to give up fewer sacks/pressures/knockdowns. Art has the ability to throw the rock around as long as you keep him clean and upright. The minute he starts to think (feel pressure), he becomes his own worst enemy.

FYI: it still may not click for Art this year, but he's not the liability you're making him out to be in this thread. You can chalk the problems with this program to a poorly run organization led by substandard coaching. That should all change as the program is under "new management".

Qualification for my analysis:
D1 FOOTBALL player at Rutgers University & University of Colorado
Pro player for Mass Marauders (Detroit Drive) of the AFL (Arena Football League)
20 years a coach (Dwight Morrow HS-Englewood, Teaneck HS, & Hackensack HS)
5 years an HS recruiting analyst for another website

Art has all the tools but hasn't had a QB coach to correct some of his issues. Two of his biggest issues are locking onto one receiver and happy feet in the pocket. Kill is a good HC, but not a QB coach. Last year Art had a solid QB coach but chose to redshirt, so he never took full advantage of the situation. He did receive enough where someone knowledgeable of the game could see the subtle improvements. Art's completion rate was under 50% as a frosh to 65% in three games before redshirting. Yeah, he only threw about a quarter of the passes from he frosh year, but you could see the growth in him. Gleeson who is another quality QB coach should continue Art's development.

The keyword, if you're listening, is serviceable: Take the Michigan and BC games and look at them for what Art was able to accomplish. Art completed 70% and 69% of his passes. That in itself is a big step in the right direction since he was under 50% for his frosh year. Remember, there were only two games all of last year where he threw for over 50%. That's 2 out of 12 games. Last was 2 of 3. The thing that really sticks out is Art didn't have nearly the happy feet he did his first year. That in return allowed for a higher completion rate. He didn't lock onto a receiver as quickly simply because the clock in his head wasn't going off within two seconds of the snap. The other thing I noticed last year that was different was his ability to drive the ball into a tight window. Everyone knew Art had a cannon for an arm, but last year was the first time you saw it. The game slowed down and he understood timing with his receivers had to be better and it was better.

This year Art will continue to get the QB training that he sorely lacked as a frosh. Rutgers is adding quality skill players around him and he will be better as it continues to give him the faith he doesn't have to do it alone. Another important factor is the line has to continue to give up fewer sacks/pressures/knockdowns. Art has the ability to throw the rock around as long as you keep him clean and upright. The minute he starts to think (feel pressure), he becomes his own worst enemy.

FYI: it still may not click for Art this year, but he's not the liability you're making him out to be in this thread. You can chalk the problems with this program to a poorly run organization led by substandard coaching. That should all change as the program is under "new management".

Qualification for my analysis:
D1 FOOTBALL player at Rutgers University & University of Colorado
Pro player for Mass Marauders (Detroit Drive) of the AFL (Arena Football League)
20 years a coach (Dwight Morrow HS-Englewood, Teaneck HS, & Hackensack HS)
5 years an HS recruiting analyst for another website
Fantastic so as a recruiting analyst can you explain to me why when He was in HS at IMG with Chris Weinke as his coach with the best coaching staff, facilities and training program HS football has to offer why he was benched considering he is a D1 QB as you claim.... He had those issues in HS and had an all star coaching staff, certainly better than trASH and his staff.

You are not going to convince me that a game vs michigan where he had 106 yards passing and 0 TD's qualifies as "serviceable" for us. It's anything but. We won't win more than 4 games a season with that kind of QB play. But more than that look around at the QB's in the Big 10 and who has had more success lately... with the exception of Haskins the best QB's in the conference over the last 5 years or so (since we joined the Big 10) have been mobile... Fields, Barrett, Miller, McSorely, etc.

We don't have the offensive line Wisconson does where we can have a statue-like gunslinger QB... Dan Marino would not work for us. Art is not mobile enough to extend out plays. Like you mentioned before, he get's locked into one receiver and doesn't have the ability to move around and extend the play for his receivers to get free so the results are what we have seen.

Like I've said several times, my hope is that Powell can come in and win the job, I think he gives us the most upside plus he's younger than Art so we have more time to build the team around him. It's been what a decade since we had a 4* talent at QB let alone a 4* from one of the most prestigious programs in Texas HS football history.

Just use your eyes with Art, so often people try to break things down too much and over analyze which is why you get guys drafted in the first round of the draft that were 1 year starters but freak athletes compared to guys who get drafted day 3 that were stupid productive in college just don't have the measurables... If you were building a prototypical pocket passer in Madden, Art would be pretty close to the ideal candidate, he just can't get it done on the field. I truly believe the only reason he was a take for us was because we were trying to form a pipeline to IMG, I doubt very much he would be on our roster if he went to a different HS his senior year of HS. Just use the eye test, when you watch a qb play you can instantly tell if the guy has "it" or not. Sadly I've not seen "it" from Art. TBH I see a qb from a big school that has all the measurables but coudn't produce on the field. Sticking with Art to me is like the Jet's drafting Hackenberg in the 2nd round... It's clearly not going to work so move onto someone who there's a chance it will!

Fantastic so as a recruiting analyst can you explain to me why when He was in HS at IMG with Chris Weinke as his coach with the best coaching staff, facilities and training program HS football has to offer why he was benched considering he is a D1 QB as you claim.... He had those issues in HS and had an all star coaching staff, certainly better than trASH and his staff.

You are not going to convince me that a game vs michigan where he had 106 yards passing and 0 TD's qualifies as "serviceable" for us. It's anything but. We won't win more than 4 games a season with that kind of QB play. But more than that look around at the QB's in the Big 10 and who has had more success lately... with the exception of Haskins the best QB's in the conference over the last 5 years or so (since we joined the Big 10) have been mobile... Fields, Barrett, Miller, McSorely, etc.

We don't have the offensive line Wisconson does where we can have a statue-like gunslinger QB... Dan Marino would not work for us. Art is not mobile enough to extend out plays. Like you mentioned before, he get's locked into one receiver and doesn't have the ability to move around and extend the play for his receivers to get free so the results are what we have seen.

Like I've said several times, my hope is that Powell can come in and win the job, I think he gives us the most upside plus he's younger than Art so we have more time to build the team around him. It's been what a decade since we had a 4* talent at QB let alone a 4* from one of the most prestigious programs in Texas HS football history.

Just use your eyes with Art, so often people try to break things down too much and over analyze which is why you get guys drafted in the first round of the draft that were 1 year starters but freak athletes compared to guys who get drafted day 3 that were stupid productive in college just don't have the measurables... If you were building a prototypical pocket passer in Madden, Art would be pretty close to the ideal candidate, he just can't get it done on the field. I truly believe the only reason he was a take for us was because we were trying to form a pipeline to IMG, I doubt very much he would be on our roster if he went to a different HS his senior year of HS. Just use the eye test, when you watch a qb play you can instantly tell if the guy has "it" or not. Sadly I've not seen "it" from Art. TBH I see a qb from a big school that has all the measurables but coudn't produce on the field. Sticking with Art to me is like the Jet's drafting Hackenberg in the 2nd round... It's clearly not going to work so move onto someone who there's a chance it will!

You're going to stick to your guns to the day you die. Vince Lombardi couldn't convince you he knows more about evaluating football talent than you. I'm going to take the advice my father said to me a long time ago. Never argue with a fool because from a distance people can tell who is who.

Btw, ask the mods about Powell. You may not like what you here but hey, you know better than anyone else.

Last edited:
Actually, I'm going to take the advice my father said to me a long time ago. Never argue with a fool because from a distance people can tell who is who.
I'll improve your father's advice.... It's difficult to win a debate vs an intelligent person, it's impossible vs a stupid person- Bill Murray

I'm not saying you're personally stupid, your grammar suggests otherwise, what I will say though is clearly you are putting your hopes on Art based on wishful thinking. Take off the Scarlet glasses and just watch the guy, put on tape of the spring game from last year for goodness sake. I haven't seen any kind of consistency from Art, yet I'm not sure why you aren't as excited about Powell... Just put on Both of their HS tape and you can clearly see who the better player is playing similar levels of competition (IMG vs Texas 6A)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT