ADVERTISEMENT

Preferred Walk On - A Little Help

colbert17

Heisman Winner
Aug 30, 2014
Bangkok, Thailand
What is the difference between a preferred walk on and a walk on?
Does the PWO get certain advantages like team meals, weight training, etc.?

I believe PWO's are allowed to practice with the team during summer camp.

I believe PWO's are allowed to practice with the team during summer camp.

Only allowed a certain number of kids in camp (105?). 85 kids on scholarship + current walk-ons means there are not a lot of spaces available in camp. Perfered walk on gets one of those spots. After camp breaks they can expand the roster.

Are the PWO's helped with securing financial aid or is that all up to the student athlete?

What is the difference between a preferred walk on and a walk on?
Does the PWO get certain advantages like team meals, weight training, etc.?

FBS football teams offer 85 scholarships with a roster size of a 105 players. A preferred walk-on gets one of the 20 non-scholarship roster spots on day 1, while walk-ons have to try out to make the roster. Once on the roster, they participate in all team activities.

Reactions: redking
FBS football teams offer 85 scholarships with a roster size of a 105 players. A preferred walk-on gets one of the 20 non-scholarship roster spots on day 1, while walk-ons have to try out to make the roster. Once on the roster, they participate in all team activities.
Thanks

Are the PWO's helped with securing financial aid or is that all up to the student athlete?

I am pretty sure any financial aid for anyone on the roster counts toward scholarship limit, which would make sense. Also, I am pretty sure anyone ON scholarship has to fill out the financial aid forms to see what portion, if any, could be funded through financial aid. (This could vary by school perhaps.)

How often does a walk on make an impact? I would think not much. O’Hara was a walk on I believe . And so was the guy that plotted to murder his ex girlfriend ?

How often does a walk on make an impact? I would think not much. O’Hara was a walk on I believe . And so was the guy that plotted to murder his ex girlfriend ?

In the kicking space quite often, long snappers and I am sure there are few out on special teams. I remember a walk on from my area Evan Lampert. He had a pretty decent contribution 3rd or 4th year, never got anscholie. He once field a kick from the wall and tried to run it and fumbled. There is video of Schiano grabbing his grill. He also had an awesome block at TE to break A RB for a huge run. So I am sure they contribute a decent amount and we dont always see it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Plum Street
One major difference is that PWO's get more playing time at Rutgizz than they do at most other schools

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT