ADVERTISEMENT

Football Press Conference: Head Coach Greg Schiano - 8/15/22

Interesting that GS singled out Chris Long from the Saturday scrimmage. Thought he would be the odd man out in a deeper WR room.

Saying I think we're getting better up front--by inches--and that's just going to have to be a steady improvement over the season does not inspire a lot of confidence. Don't expect great offense out of the gate.
He said to compete with our schedule they have to improve daily and they have been. My glass is more than half full after hearing this.

Interesting that GS singled out Chris Long from the Saturday scrimmage. Thought he would be the odd man out in a deeper WR room.
Tying that into the practice discussion in another thread, I was there, and he did not stand out. But things were happening so quickly, and with conversations with people, we did not catch every rep. And just because one player may have had a couple or few good catches or runs does not mean that when they look at it on the film, the player will move up the depth chart. Could have been a defensive break down, a block or something else that made the play.

Reactions: RutHut
Saying I think we're getting better up front--by inches--and that's just going to have to be a steady improvement over the season does not inspire a lot of confidence. Don't expect great offense out of the gate.
I don't ever recall Greg coming out of a summer camp presser bubbling over with optimism. Does anyone remember if he was like that pre-2006 or pre-2007?

Reactions: -RUFAN4LIFE-
Tying that into the practice discussion in another thread, I was there, and he did not stand out. But things were happening so quickly, and with conversations with people, we did not catch every rep. And just because one player may have had a couple or few good catches or runs does not mean that when they look at it on the film, the player will move up the depth chart. Could have been a defensive break down, a block or something else that made the play.
Yeah, but he's in the mix.

Reactions: Knight Shift
And we have heard over and over about practice warriors who don't show on game day.
I've heard of fans saying that. But I kind of think it's a myth.

I have zero experience coaching football. And maybe it's different. But I had a ton of experience coaching soccer and found that there's an extremely high correlation between players who practice hard and well and players who play well in games. Sitting here right now, I can't remember a single instance, in many years of coaching, of a player who looked great in practice but sucked in games.

So yeah, while I'm sure it could happen (anything is possible), I've never actually seen it happen or heard another coach explicitly call out a particular player for it. If it ever did happen to me, as a coach, I'd immediately suspect and review my approach to practices or games. I would view it as a coaching issue, not a player issue.

I can't remember a single instance in the last 10-15 years (ok, maybe a bit less) where the Offense was ahead of the Defense. It's the same thing year after year. I mean, maybe someone here can help me out but when was the last time the coaching staff came out and said, "Boy - our Offense was really lighting it up out there, weren't they?!" Obviously, during the 2005-2009ish timeframe, we didn't need to talk too much about our Offense in the pre-season because they proved their competency on the field and continued to do so. But, I can't remember a time since when I felt comfortable with the Offense going into the season.

Of course it's nice to hear that we're deep at RB and WR. But, unless we figure out how to grow an OL, maintain an OL, and build a deep OL, we're not going to be successful in this league. Ok, that's my rant for the day.

I don't ever recall Greg coming out of a summer camp presser bubbling over with optimism. Does anyone remember if he was like that pre-2006 or pre-2007?
He was all smiles heading into 2006 but only said “we have a chance to be a really good team” or something like that

I can't remember a single instance in the last 10-15 years (ok, maybe a bit less) where the Offense was ahead of the Defense. It's the same thing year after year. I mean, maybe someone here can help me out but when was the last time the coaching staff came out and said, "Boy - our Offense was really lighting it up out there, weren't they?!" Obviously, during the 2005-2009ish timeframe, we didn't need to talk too much about our Offense in the pre-season because they proved their competency on the field and continued to do so. But, I can't remember a time since when I felt comfortable with the Offense going into the season.

Of course it's nice to hear that we're deep at RB and WR. But, unless we figure out how to grow an OL, maintain an OL, and build a deep OL, we're not going to be successful in this league. Ok, that's my rant for the day.
Where did you hear anybody say either the O or D was ahead of the other? Actually, I thought GS declined to say if any particular position group was ahead of any other position group in the press conference. Is possible I missed it or misheard.

I've heard of fans saying that. But I kind of think it's a myth.

I have zero experience coaching football. And maybe it's different. But I had a ton of experience coaching soccer and found that there's an extremely high correlation between players who practice hard and well and players who play well in games. Sitting here right now, I can't remember a single instance, in many years of coaching, of a player who looked great in practice but sucked in games.

So yeah, while I'm sure it could happen (anything is possible), I've never actually seen it happen or heard another coach explicitly call out a particular player for it. If it ever did happen to me, as a coach, I'd immediately suspect and review my approach to practices or games. I would view it as a coaching issue, not a player issue.
IDK if soccer is a fair comparison. In soccer scrimmages and practice, practice and actual game conditions are much more similar than in football. In football, you have QBs in green jerseys, other players in black jerseys, limiting these players to no or minimal contact.

Reactions: mildone
We can talk all we want about every room in the program but we all know it will come down to the OL. I believe we have reason for optimism on this front only because there does seem to be more bodies and more talent but they have to come together as a unit and how long that will take is the big (BIG) issue. Hopefully sooner than later. Like, opening day!!!

IDK if soccer is a fair comparison. In soccer scrimmages and practice, practice and actual game conditions are much more similar than in football. In football, you have QBs in green jerseys, other players in black jerseys, limiting these players to no or minimal contact.
The green/black jersey thing is a valid difference and a great point.

Still, there is some equivalence in a soccer practice, namely that teammates are not likely to commit hard professional fouls in practice unless they want to seriously piss off their teammates and coaches. That kind of intentionally hard physical contact is generally reserved for games. In general, the level of contact of questionable legality in practice is much less common or intense than in games.

Also, you might be surprised by the degree to which certain common soccer exercises (AKA drills), typically run earlier during practice sessions, can be quite dissimilar to game conditions. It is often very useful to use highly contrived situations to help players focus on developing a particular individual skill or tactical awareness. For example, using small and uneven-sided games (i.e. 3 v 1 or 4 v 2) can be super useful in developing all kinds of skills and tactics. But most often, soccer practices will end with a full-sized scrimmage (or as full sized as possible given team size constraints at certain ages) in which the coaching points will focus on the skill or tactic worked on during that practice session.

Or another example is playing one-touch (requiring all players to instantly distribute the ball with only one touch upon receiving it) or playing three-touch where a player must distribute in under 3 touches, or sometimes, in no less than 3 touches (when developing composure with the ball with youth teams).

Anyway, now I'm way the hell off topic.

That doesn't bode well, either, because he has produced anemic offenses year after year as HC. It likely means don't expect much.

Under under under promise and over over over deliver.
The only person who is allowed to over over over promise on this forum is RutgersAl.

I’m tired of the play it safe game plans with Vedral. Especially the East-West play calls
I’ve always hated that we throw so many balls to the sidelines with a QB who doesn’t have a ton of zip on the ball. When you have a QB with a somewhat weak arm you should be trying to give him shorter throws, not longer ones.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT