ADVERTISEMENT

Princeton Grad Student F Zach Martini Visiting Tomorrow

He’s not a Center, right?
He would likely start along side JWill, Harper, Ace and then a Center to be named later?

This assumes a portal center for D and rebounding, and Martini and Bailey will both be wings.

Reactions: Scangg
A little wary, tbh. He's played just 7 games against major confidence teams over 3 years, averaging 4.3 pts (.294 3P%) and 2.7 rb
If 30% from 3 is his floor then he’s a take and gets the green light.
A small ball five of
Dylan
Ace
GG
Oskar
Martini

would be interesting on the offensive end.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
If he's being brought in with the idea of being a starter, we should be a little worried. He's not good enough defensively to be a guy that will only shoot when wide open.
I listened to the most recent pod where this guy was discussed. He was being compared to a guy from Southern Illinois who is going to DePaul and the part of the argument in favor of Martini was that the Ivy League is better than the Missouri Valley Conference. Not sure that is true. More well known perhaps but not sure the quality of play is better despite the Indiana State snub. We need bodies so this kid can fill a role but the question is how significant a role is envisioned?

Does Rutgers have room on the roster for NJIT’s Tariq Francis, America East Conference Rookie of the Year?

Yeah I have to say that if this kid is who Gavin is worried about competing with he must be feeling pretty insecure.

• Love
this is be the 6th or 7th man on the team, to fill much needed bench depth with experienced players?

I had martini confused with Caden pierce so now idk about him being a starter. The guys on the podcast seem to think he would be but id bet on Gavin elevating his game next year and taking that spot.

I had martini confused with Caden pierce so now idk about him being a starter. The guys on the podcast seem to think he would be but id bet on Gavin elevating his game next year and taking that spot.

I guess the question is what are we looking for in the closing lineup (everyone talks about starters but it's really closing the game).

We will likely have JWill, Ace and Bailey and a Center (Lathan/transfer)
Will the 5th person be there for rebounding/defense?
3pt shooting/spacing the floor?
Ideally all of it of course.

If the ball is with Ace/Dylan the only off ball threat to space the floor is likely the 5th guy. But does that happen at the expense of rebounding and defense?

Well hopefully Gavin is here but I'd bet Gavin develops enough to be better than Martini next season

Martini appears to be a bench player to me... One dimensional 3 point spot up shooter who will struggle to guard 4's in the B1G

no watching cornhole on ESSPN2....reminds me of NBA, no defense

I meant to post this in the NBA thread - particularly around your question about the play of Luca getting a steal.

Since the All-Star game, the refs have basically stopped calling fouls.
I've heard it referred to chain saw or 2x4 defense. As in you could hit someone with a 2x4 and not get a foul called.

https://www.denverpost.com/2024/03/06/nba-fouls-michael-malone-nuggets-coach-referees/

I listened to the most recent pod where this guy was discussed. He was being compared to a guy from Southern Illinois who is going to DePaul and the part of the argument in favor of Martini was that the Ivy League is better than the Missouri Valley Conference. Not sure that is true. More well known perhaps but not sure the quality of play is better despite the Indiana State snub. We need bodies so this kid can fill a role but the question is how significant a role is envisioned?
Per 40 minutes, as a SENIOR (but only played 3 years?), Martini was 9th on the team in scoring, 10th in rebounding, 12 in assists, 10th in steals and isn't a great defender. Also 6th in 3PA per 40 on that team. He's a guy that ONLY shoots if open. His junior year (2nd) was worse than Gavin's freshman year. Can't see his role as big time, and definitely don't want to see him as a starting 4 in the B1G.

Reactions: higgins3 and Scangg
Per 40 minutes, as a SENIOR (but only played 3 years?), Martini was 9th on the team in scoring, 10th in rebounding, 12 in assists, 10th in steals and isn't a great defender. Also 6th in 3PA per 40 on that team. He's a guy that ONLY shoots if open. His junior year (2nd) was worse than Gavin's freshman year. Can't see his role as big time, and definitely don't want to see him as a starting 4 in the B1G.

Let’s see what happens with Allocco… this move is genius by Pike if we’re looking at bringing in two local NJ veteran super seniors from Princeton who aren’t even abandoning their team by entering the portal.

Thank God our bs "experts" don't coach our team. Can't say this enough the"experts" are inconsistent and most of their opinions come out of their backside. If you don't trust or respect Pike or his assistants you need to go elsewhere. You don't know better or have the info or experience to act as if you do.

Well hopefully Gavin is here but I'd bet Gavin develops enough to be better than Martini next season

Martini appears to be a bench player to me... One dimensional 3 point spot up shooter who will struggle to guard 4's in the B1G

Isn't the wing bench spots filled by Gavin (for now...), Dortch and Grant?
If we still need a starting 4 (and 5) plus a 3rd guard (Davis as 4th Guard) after Martini, not seeing what role he plays.

Basically he seems to replace Gavin potentially leaving (and hopefully HC Pike isn't expected to start either one?)

Guess this would be the roster:
JWill
Harper
Transfer Guard/Wing
Ace
Transfer Center

Gavin
Martini
Dortch
Grant
Davis
Somerville
Ogbole
Oskar

Missing: 3rd guard off the bench - unless we play 3 guards mostly and put Ace at the 4?

We shot 28.7% from three-point range this year, which was 350th out of 362 teams in D1, and people are looking down their noses at a guy who shot 38.5% on pretty high volume (60-156) from 3-point range?

We need shooters, people, and this is a perfect "fit" for our team next year as a 3rd or 4th option when on the floor.

Take them both. Older, smarter and can shoot. Alloco can start in 3 guard sets. Maritini as a 6th man type.

center position is the most critical position of them all. Need a rim protector older big that can score.

Isn't the wing bench spots filled by Gavin (for now...), Dortch and Grant?
If we still need a starting 4 (and 5) plus a 3rd guard (Davis as 4th Guard) after Martini, not seeing what role he plays.

Basically he seems to replace Gavin potentially leaving (and hopefully HC Pike isn't expected to start either one?)

Guess this would be the roster:
JWill
Harper
Transfer Guard/Wing
Ace
Transfer Center

Gavin
Martini
Dortch
Grant
Davis
Somerville
Ogbole
Oskar

Missing: 3rd guard off the bench - unless we play 3 guards mostly and put Ace at the 4?
If Rutgers is after Allocco, and reached out to the Toledo guard. I'm guessing 3 guard lineups is an option. Bc can't see Allocco or similar, even entertaining a bench role from Rutgers

We shot 28.7% from three-point range this year, which was 350th out of 362 teams in D1, and people are looking down their noses at a guy who shot 38.5% on pretty high volume (60-156) from 3-point range?

We need shooters, people, and this is a perfect "fit" for our team next year as a 3rd or 4th option when on the floor.
Yes we need shooters. I want shooters who are more well rounded ideally, especially if they are to start

3 and D guys minimum. Martini looks like 3 and nothing else

If Rutgers is after Allocco, and reached out to the Toledo guard. I'm guessing 3 guard lineups is an option. Bc can't see Allocco or similar, even entertaining a bench role from Rutgers

I can’t either which is why everything makes a whole lot more sense about Gavin if Allocco is the plan. Martini doesn’t seem like much of a threat to Gavin’s PT. Allocco a whole different story.

Yes we need shooters. I want shooters who are more well rounded ideally, especially if they are to start

3 and D guys minimum. Martini looks like 3 and nothing else
I'll trust your judgment if you've seen more than this highlight tape, but wasn't Martini the guy who basically made Cliff invisible in our game? I mean, I know Cliff can be easy to defend at times, but despite the athletic advantage Cliff had, I think Martini put a body on him and kept him off the blocks. That said, I'm not sure about Martini defending the perimeter.

That aside, I'm not sure we're in a position to get anybody better with our NIL situation -- we need to allocate "more" funds towards a starting center than this 4 spot -- and with not a TON of shots available (+-- 8). And with the kid growing up in New Jersey as a Rutgers fan, I feel like this is a "bird in the hand" type of situation.

That lineup could hang a hundy on anybody. Dylan getting to the hoop making layups…Ace dunking on his drives to the hoop…and e’rybody raining threes from all over the gym with good ball movement.
I could live with playing like Alabama next year.

Reactions: runrutgersrun
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT