ADVERTISEMENT

Princeton/Rutgers Football Game MAY Happen

HeavenUniv.

Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2004
Picked up a paper today (and I forgot which one I read it in), but there was an article about Princeton basketball and the article mentioned that Princeton may make the possibility of the upcoming 150th anniversary of college football rematch contingent on the renewal of the Rutgers/Princeton basketball series.

Reactions: NickyNewark51
No way this happens. I don't see how playing a Ivy League team can be done and vice versa.

Why don't RU and PU play each other in hoops now?
D1 teams don't like playing teams like Princeton or Yale because they are good teams and can lose. Then they look at it as if they beat a team like Princeton they add no value to the SOC. It's a catch 22 and they have a name for those teams just can't think of it.

Reactions: RU31trap
Eddie canceled the Princeton and Monmouth series'. He would have canceled SHU, also, if the trophy wasn't established.

Princeton could easily be added to our OOC schedule. lately they would have beaten us in basketball.
They already beat us in lacrosse pretty handily.
We could play the in baseball as well

I would only be in favor of a Rutgers Princeton game if they used wooden goal posts that could be torn down and busted up for souvenirs after the game. Some older posters here could add to their collections if they want to risk the injury and could hobble down to the field.

sorry but there is no way the schools play in football..first of all RU does not like to play them in hoops..I dont either, I dont get the big deal, we arent rivals anymore, the media seems to be in sadness that we dont play but who cares. It would hardly be contingent on either side...certainly Princeton would play us in hoops no matter what, i dont see RU entacting requirements on Princeton

The APP website is the most difficult to navigate in the world, I'm convinced. It keeps bouncing articles out and covering them with other things before you can even start reading them. I don't have this problem with any other website.

That said, it would be nice if someone who could actually open the article could copy its contents here. Thanks.

As for starting up the Rutgers-Princeton series in bball again, I don't think it's worth the aggravation. If you look at the attendance figures of the most recent 3 or 4 games, they were pretty pathetic on both campuses. This is no longer a rivalry and, to be truthful, Princeton's style of play is just not fun to watch. Their fans, such as they are, don't turn out and haven't for years, even when the team is in contention for the Ivy title. And RU has conference games to focus on so no need to take a week out to practice just for Princeton.

D1 teams don't like playing teams like Princeton or Yale because they are good teams and can lose. Then they look at it as if they beat a team like Princeton they add no value to the SOC. It's a catch 22 and they have a name for those teams just can't think of it.
Princeton is a D1 team in hoops, otherwise they wouldn't be allowed in the NCAA tournament

from the article:

The primary fallacy is that there is nothing to gain by playing Princeton, except a potential loss.

That won’t be true next year. Princeton finished this past season with an RPI of 38 and brings everyone back off of a 22-7 squad that was just a hair behind Yale in the Ivy League. The Tigers also welcome back standout big man Hans Brase from a knee injury. They are a borderline Top 25 team going into 2016-17.

In other words, Princeton is going to provide a strength-of-schedule bump to anyone it plays.

Picked up a paper today (and I forgot which one I read it in), but there was an article about Princeton basketball and the article mentioned that Princeton may make the possibility of the upcoming 150th anniversary of college football rematch contingent on the renewal of the Rutgers/Princeton basketball series.

Let's do it then!

I mean we play Rutgers-Newark and NJIT and St. Peters and FDU for god's sake.

Zero chance of happening. However the basketball teams should continue the series.

Won't happen in football. Ivy isn't scholarship so the win doesn't help bowl eligibility. We would need a waiver from the NCAA.

Won't happen in football. Ivy isn't scholarship so the win doesn't help bowl eligibility. We would need a waiver from the NCAA.
The game doesn't count at all. There is no chance of a waiver. It would be an exhibition. I know people want this to happen. But it's not. And I have no idea where the writer got his info but Princeton does not want to play Rutgers for many reasons. There is no support for either sport

Here's the article:

Carino: Stop giving Princeton the leper treatment
Jerry Carino, @njhoopshaven 7:08 p.m. EDT March 30, 2016

Basketball coach Mitch Henderson is struggling to fill out Tigers' schedule. Why Jersey schools should quit dodging them

There is hope that Rutgers’ hiring of Steve Pikiell — who experienced similar difficulty lining up opponents at Stony Brook — will open the door for Princeton. Former Rutgers coach Eddie Jordan abandoned the Scarlet Knights’ century-old series with the Tigers two years ago.

For now, Henderson is waiting by the phone.

Welcome to the plight of the strong mid-major.

“The (NCAA Tournament) Selection Committee says you’ve got to schedule well,” Henderson said. “I would argue that playing Princeton is scheduling well. We are a very strong game for anyone in terms of RPI, strength of schedule, quality of opponent.”

Now to the outdated notion: that playing Princeton is a slow-motion pain because of the deliberate offense that bears its name. In fact, the Tigers just averaged 79 points per game over the course of the season. They pushed the ball and fired away, leading the Ivy League in scoring.

“This isn’t your father’s Princeton,” Henderson said. “With the shot clock getting shorter, we play fast. We’re an up-tempo team. We’re not holding the ball — we can’t.”

Cast aside the myths and you see the truth. Princeton-Seton Hall would be a blast and a boost to both programs. Ditto for Princeton-Monmouth.

“That makes a lot of sense for both teams,” Henderson said of the latter, “considering where they are and where we are. It would be an attractive local game.”

As for Rutgers, it’s a bad look for the state university to dodge a century-old rival because they beat you a couple of times. Hopefully Pikiell, whose Stony Brook squad played the Tigers two years running, understands that — as predecessors Fred Hill and Mike Rice did but Jordan did not.

As a nuclear option, Princeton could use the resumption of the rivalry as leverage if Rutgers still wants a gridiron meeting with the Tigers in 2019 to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the first intercollegiate football game.

Really, though, it shouldn’t be that hard.

“Scheduling is the ultimate head-scratcher for a lot of coaches,” Henderson said.

It’s too bad, because these games seem like no-brainers.

Staff Writer Jerry Carino: jcarino@gannettnj.com
http://bs.serving-sys.com/BurstingP...stamp]&utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=referral

Reactions: G- RUnit
Somebody dredges this topic from the depths every once in a while and the answer is still the same - there will not be a Rutgers - Princeton football game in our future.

Reactions: bac2therac
Nah, as someone mentioned here before, the best idea possible for a 150 year Anniversary is to work to have a nationally televised doubleheader from HPSS.....Princeton vs. Yale, and Rutgers vs. Michigan. Let fans pack HPSS for Princeton out of respect. (Doesn't have to be those two opponents, but they probably have the most historical success over anyone already else on the schedule.)

Reactions: cicero grimes
Syracuse plays Cornell, Villanova plays Penn, BC plays Harvard and UConn Plays Yale. I don't see any reason why Rutgers can't play Princeton.
Sara & BC are in the ACC and essentially irrelevant, yucky is in the AAC and is even less relevant. I'm pretty sure in each instance their opponents bring more fans than they do...

The game doesn't count at all. There is no chance of a waiver. It would be an exhibition. I know people want this to happen. But it's not. And I have no idea where the writer got his info but Princeton does not want to play Rutgers for many reasons. There is no support for either sport

Here's a USA Today article about when Army played Yale two years ago. The article says:

This season, the Black Knights (1-2) needed a waiver from the NCAA to play the game without hurting their bowl eligibility, because Yale (1-0) does not offer scholarships and does not play in the FCS postseason.

It doesn't specify what "hurting their bowl eligibility" means, but I take it to mean that a win would have counted. I can't find any source that says a win would not have counted. Then there's this article from the Star Ledger two years ago (with quotes from dopey himself) about a potential match-up being discussed between athletic directors. There's no mention of whether the game would count however.

Sara & BC are in the ACC and essentially irrelevant, yucky is in the AAC and is even less relevant. I'm pretty sure in each instance their opponents bring more fans than they do...
You do realize he's talking about basketball, don't you?

I think that it would be neat if we played them once for the 150th in football but not every year and maybe not again until the 200th.

If Yale played and beat Army for the anniversary of the Yale Bowl, surely we can play this one special game.

Call me crazy, but last year I believe that Princeton may have beaten our Basketball team. Why not play them, seriously who would it hurt?

Now playing them in football is a bit more risky because losing to a Princeton team will undoubtedly provide tremendous ammunition to the local and national news networks for a solid week. Listen, I've seen 50-1 even 90-1 thoroughbreds win on rare occasions so losing to Princeton is plausible.

Last edited:
Football is a joke

I would love to the see the big ten rearrange sxhedule so that that weekend it could be four of the oldest programs playing back to back

Princeton v Harvard (or yale)
Rutgers v Michigan

As far as hoops...sign a six game series...4 at the RAC and 2 at Jadwin and tell them we will make it one for one if they return our cannon for good

Princeton would have beat our basketball team, thats why we werent playing them.

I dont see it as a big issue. It used to be a rivalry but that flamed out sometime in the mid 90s...Princeton does not even bring more than 100 fans to the RAC anymore so we get 3500 for a game at the RAC and 3K at Jadwin with 500 RU fans, so much for tradition

Princeton would have beat our basketball team, thats why we werent playing them.

I dont see it as a big issue. It used to be a rivalry but that flamed out sometime in the mid 90s...Princeton does not even bring more than 100 fans to the RAC anymore so we get 3500 for a game at the RAC and 3K at Jadwin with 500 RU fans, so much for tradition

That's because we both sucked. Princeton is good again... and we have a new HC.

nice try

I believe the issue is that RU-Princeton is home and home and Rutgers wanted more series against lesser teams where they can do two home vs. one away. As usual, its about the money.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT