ADVERTISEMENT

QB Depth Chart

NickRU714

Heisman Winner
Aug 18, 2009
So is this it?
Everyone kept talking about a "portal QB" but it's been weeks with no movement.
Am I wrong in assuming we're not getting a QB of significance.

QB1: Gavin Wimsatt
QB2: Evan Simon
QB3: Ajani Sheppard (True freshman)

Is there anyone else on scholarship?
Doesn't look like any other HS QB commits for this year.

😂😂😂 this is not very promising. No OC No QB No OL no wins!!!!
We are a laughingstock

So is this it?

I have a bold prediction. By game 6:

QB1: Ajani Sheppard (True freshman)
QB2: Gavin Wimsatt
QB3: Evan Simon

Just a wild guess. I really do want to see Gavin succeed. Sheppard is very intriguing. And no disrespect to any of our current QBs. Just a guess/prediction.

Just a wild guess. I really do want to see Gavin succeed. Sheppard is very intriguing. And no disrespect to any of our current QBs. Just a guess/prediction.
Ajani throws accurately, better than Wimsatt. so wimsatt has to improve over the summer, which I expect him to do.

Reactions: Knightmoves
So is this it?

QB1: <open>
QB2: <open>
QB3: Gavin Wimsatt
QB4: Evan Simon
QB5: Ajani Sheppard (True freshman)

Any chance Vilay Nakkoun is given a look. Kids tape is electric. Not the prototypical size or arm.... but man the kid looks like a baller.

So is this it?

I wouldn’t be surprised if they find a scholly for Rupp

All over the country with true freshmen? P5 teams? I don't think so though there may be a few exceptions.
Sorry I was quoting the guy you were quoting so below is to him.

Give some examples. Michigan has had 3 starters the last 3 seasons. The kid from Wisconsin? Looked great until he didn’t. Burrows? Transferred out of OSU and emerged his Sr year. Fromm? Who are these kids all over the country? I’m sure there are some but give some examples of kids who take over a program and play all 3-4 years.

Last edited:
All over the country with true freshmen? P5 teams? I don't think so though there may be a few exceptions.

I guess Trevor Lawrence at Clemson?
But that's never going to happen here.
Pre/Post NIL - doesn't matter.

#1 QB in the country would have to be from NJ or NY with dad who was a star player here and a mom who was also a scholar athlete here.
And even then doubtful.
We've always been a school in the tier: "HS QBs need development and playing time to succeed" like many (most?) other schools.

Ajani throws accurately, better than Wimsatt. so wimsatt has to improve over the summer, which I expect him to do.
No way Ajani is too young to succeed, isn’t that the excuse many say about GW

I'm a little surprised Simon hasn't entered the portal TBH. Hope he sticks around.

Don’t forget Vedral’s brother coming in. Schiano does seem to have an affinity for QBs who can’t throw.

I guess Trevor Lawrence at Clemson?
But that's never going to happen here.
Pre/Post NIL - doesn't matter.

#1 QB in the country would have to be from NJ or NY with dad who was a star player here and a mom who was also a scholar athlete here.
And even then doubtful.
We've always been a school in the tier: "HS QBs need development and playing time to succeed" like many (most?) other schools.

Actually I know if an exception that applies to Rutgers, Mike McMahon. But even he didn't start till the 3rd or 4th game of his freshman year. And he came to Rutgers because Terry Shea ran a nationally recognized QB camp on campus.

Reactions: NickRU714
Reactions: rubigtimenow
No chance unless injury. GS is all in on Gavin now and with too much contract left he feels no pressure to win. The arrogance is plain to see.

• Haha
Reactions: newell138
Degree in 2 and 1/2 years? Is he that amazing?
Really if a player enrolls in Jan of his senior yea. He could potentially have 9 semester under his belt after his redshirt freshmen year. Spring summer and fall ( redshirt) Spring summer and fall; (redshirt freshman) Spring, summer and fall ( redshirt sophomore)

Sheppard us only intriguing if he's in an offense that takes advantage of what he does well. That means an OC that has a philosophy, knows what he's doing, can teach it, and will be allowed to run his system without interference from the HC.

So is this it?

This is the scholarship QB line up as of today yes . I believe we may bring in a portal QB after the spring.

-Wimsatt to TE or portal.

dont like wimsatts throwing or running abilities

He could transfer to Monmouth as they lost their QB, Tony Muskett, tough shoes to fill.

Last edited:
This is the scholarship QB line up as of today yes . I believe we may bring in a portal QB after the spring.
Very unlikely the quality of QBs in the portal will be anything like the current portal period. The spring portal will just be rejects.

-Wimsatt to TE or portal.

dont like wimsatts throwing or running abilities

He could transfer to Monmouth as they lost their QB, Tony Muskett, tough shoes to fill.
It looks like Wimsatt will get the opportunity to establish himself as the starting QB in 2023. I don't see them adding anybody of quality from the portal at this time, in part because they haven't even hired an OC and no quality QB is coming here not knowing who their OC will be.

So is this it?

I expect another QB to be added after the spring but it’s very possible Greg doesn’t add anyone. They rolled with 3 scholarship QBs last year and may do the same this year if GS doesn’t find the right fit. It’s clear they are 100% all in on Wimsatt. It all will depend on how Wimsatt improves over the spring. If it doesn’t work next year, they will pivot to a portal QB.

Simon staying is interesting. Maybe he is happy with his role or more concerning would be if he thinks Gavin just isn’t good and he knows he will be the starter at some point next year.

I am glad Simon is staying …for now . It gives some depth

Reactions: RUShea
Simon staying is interesting. Maybe he is happy with his role or more concerning would be if he thinks Gavin just isn’t good and he knows he will be the starter at some point next year.

I am glad Simon is staying …for now . It gives some depth
This is a great situation for him. Very little QB depth, knows the program, P5, and one injury away from starting.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT