ADVERTISEMENT

Question for BK

RU is in Mathis top two. Also, I don't think the sell of Rutgers is going to be that hard going forward. Recruits will pick other schools, but the program already has kids listing Rutgers in their top five, top ten. Quick improvement.

You have to ask yourself on June 9th 2017....Why the heck would i go to Rutgers if i can go and play on other P5 schools?

That narrative has to change over time and it won't happen overnight.
Excellent coaches. Shot at early playing time. New York market. Pork roll

Excellent coaches. Shot at early playing time. New York market. Pork roll

Incredible practice facility

Opportinity to be forever known as establishing/creating a winning program (some kids like that)

From what i understand, we will be one of adidias' premier schools...there is a benefit there also that kids that age will eat up

Reactions: Scangg
You have to ask yourself on June 9th 2017....Why the heck would i go to Rutgers if i can go and play on other P5 schools?

C'mon Greene ...

-.Rutgers is a big ten school with most of the trimmings.
- The facility issues will be behind us soon.
-the coaching staff has lots of pieces on it that are gojng to be attractive to right kids
-it's in the NYC-Philly corridor so it's got excellent location
-it's an excellent academic school ...and that will matter to some

Let's stop with the self pity. We have recruited well here before but never sustained it. Kevin did. Fred did. Mike started off. We will get our players....the question is what will they become with the staff....and THAT is what the staff has to sell

Woe is me.

What a ridiculous comment.

You make it sound like we are the least desirable destination of every single P5 program.

If you try to build such an argument, not only are you wrong, but you would be engaging in troll-like behavior.

Reactions: SirScarlet
I can't believe there is talk about the fan base potentially calling for Pikiells head. Absolutely absurd after watching last season

The guy has 60 posts and is one fan. I don't think true RU fans are or will be calling for his head after this past season. After three years I can see some rumbling if we are still positioned in last place in the conference.

The guy has 60 posts and is one fan. I don't think true RU fans are or will be calling for his head after this past season. After three years I can see some rumbling if we are still positioned in last place in the conference.

Please read my actual post not the inaccurate summary. All I was saying was this year is a veteran laden squad of starters who will need to be replaced with 2018 recruits. Kiss is a good start. 2 years from now, IF we disappoint Pikiell will only have two years left on his contract and theoretically taken a step back (if recruiting doesn't go well). While I hope this is not the case that could frustrate the fan base, and put Pikiell on shakier ground given the length of the contract.

I want to be clear. I am fully on board in support of Coach Pikiell + staff, and love the direction the program is going. I attended the B1G tournament and loved the energy these guys played with, and see a lot of positives now in this program.

Please don't reference my 'post count' as a factor in if my thoughts matter less than yours. I also urge you to actually read my posts. It's all theoretical, in backing up BK's statement that 2018 is a huge cycle for the staff. That's all.

Woe is me.

What a ridiculous comment.

You make it sound like we are the least desirable destination of every single P5 program.

If you try to build such an argument, not only are you wrong, but you would be engaging in troll-like behavior.
name a few we are more attractive

So you think every P5 recruit in the entire country would be better served attending any and every other school besides Rutgers?

Regardless of playing time available?
Regardless of their relationship with the coaches?
Regardless of our location near NYC, and being in the B1G, and what that offers?

Every player has their own criteria of what is important to them.
You think those criteria would always lead them to choose BC, or Nebraska, or PSU, or Wake Forest, or Illinois, or Minnesota, or Mississippi State, or Washington State, or Oregon State, or whoever you want to pick?

Nice fan.

. . .
You think those criteria would always lead them to choose BC, or Nebraska, or PSU, or Wake Forest, or Illinois, or Minnesota, or Mississippi State, or Washington State, or Oregon State, or whoever you want to pick?
. . . .

Way to change the nature of your very own statement.

Rutgers has a lot to offer. Maybe not three years ago, but right now there is a reason to go.

You don't sell a past, you sell a future. Luckily as a salesman, Pikiell also can sell the present.

So you think every P5 recruit in the entire country would be better served attending any and every other school besides Rutgers?

Regardless of playing time available?
Regardless of their relationship with the coaches?
Regardless of our location near NYC, and being in the B1G, and what that offers?

Every player has their own criteria of what is important to them.

Nice fan.

My angle is people shouldn't expect (and be disappointed when they don't) a new head coach at Rutgers to land top players who are considering other schools. You can not minimize enough how hard of a job this is. We had ZERO sellouts last year and get 3,000 fans at most of our home games.

I hear of mandates for this staff and names that we need to land and I can't help think many of our fans are so far from reality.

Reactions: bac2therac
My angle is people shouldn't expect (and be disappointed when they don't) a new head coach at Rutgers to land top players who are considering other schools. You can not minimize enough how hard of a job this is. We had ZERO sellouts last year and get 3,000 fans at most of our home games.

I hear of mandates for this staff and names that we need to land and I can't help think many of our fans are so far from reality.

I agree with what you are saying here.

I just didn't like the impression your 1st post gave to me which was, Hey Recruit. Don't come to RU because we are the least desirable P5 school and if you have a choice to attend ANY OTHER P5 school, go there.

I just wish the fan base had realistic views on what the staff can reasonably expect to accomplish and to emphasize how difficult the turnaround will be.

I am going to guess most Top 150 players have eyes on pro basketball. So things they are looking at....
1. Will I play in the NCAA tourney
2. Will I play in front of a ton of fans

I just wish the fan base had realistic views on what the staff can reasonably expect to accomplish and to emphasize how difficult the turnaround will be.

I am going to guess most Top 150 players have eyes on pro basketball. So things they are looking at....

150 for sure. Doesn't need to be top 150, and you agree there. I watched film on Geo Baker and Myles Johnson yesterday. I left very impressed. Both have solid futures at RU.

"I just wish the fan base had realistic views on what the staff can reasonably expect to accomplish and to emphasize how difficult the turnaround will be."

Agree - plus - since, to do it right, this will take time - the fan base would be well advised to find a way to enjoy watching it unfold ... Pikiell & Co appear to be making most of the good moves available - and they are not thrashing about - they appear to be putting themselves in the position to understand the comparative merits of each move by virtue of much hard work & analysis - Pikiell & Co kinda know the drill - so take some pleasure in watching the process unfold.

hard to know everything that is going on - but it does seem that the recruiting process is now operating at a far higher & more 'visionary' level - with a much greater degree of strategy - with real intentionality - and with a critical eye toward what can be 'refined', 'developed', 'drawn out ' of the players through structured & aggressive planned development.

- simplistically, it previously often seemed like the goal was to land the best of who was willing to come here - and then grapple with how it all fit together once they got in the gym - and hope that things would happen - sort of hope that 'development' would serendipitously emerge - almost like it was imagined that the players would spontaneously go through some sort of basketball puberty

So what is the realistic view? He needs top players to compete. The other 13 teams in this league are landing top 150 players.

So what is the realistic view? He needs top players to compete. The other 13 teams in this league are landing top 150 players.

Maybe thinking outside the box.

I am not in love with getting Kiss, but maybe coach realizes his best chance of getting players is fishing from the transfer pool. He has a specific criteria of what he wants from a player and Kiss has it.

i do think this thing will be tough to turn around, but it could happen quick. I think the path to 6,000 season tickets and 9 B1G sellouts can happen in an instant.

There is no way anyone could have watched last season and not be 100% "in" on this staff.

Maybe thinking outside the box.

I am not in love with getting Kiss, but maybe coach realizes his best chance of getting players is fishing from the transfer pool. He has a specific criteria of what he wants from a player and Kiss has it.

i do think this thing will be tough to turn around, but it could happen quick. I think the path to 6,000 season tickets and 9 B1G sellouts can happen in an instant.

You fish in all pools.Disease aside, Pikiell is doing just that.

C'mon Greene ...

-.Rutgers is a big ten school with most of the trimmings.
- The facility issues will be behind us soon.
-the coaching staff has lots of pieces on it that are gojng to be attractive to right kids
-it's in the NYC-Philly corridor so it's got excellent location
-it's an excellent academic school ...and that will matter to some

Let's stop with the self pity. We have recruited well here before but never sustained it. Kevin did. Fred did. Mike started off. We will get our players....the question is what will they become with the staff....and THAT is what the staff has to sell

To be fair, the post you quoted said "In June 2017," so:

1. Yes we're a big ten team, but being the laughingstock of the big ten is worse than a very good team in a lesser conference. That reputation is going to take time to shake off.
2. I think they're a very good staff but, again, going to take time.
3. This has always been the case and is (IMO) highly overrated. The best kids go play in Lexington, Lawrence, Bloomington, etc. And unlike football, there are options in NYC (St. John's) and Philly (a whole bunch) that would be able to capitalize.
4. True but this is almost never a deciding factor for top recruits.

It's going to take time for the coaching staff to prove themselves, for the practice facility to get build, etc. I think the team is on the right track but there's a lot to overcome.

To be fair, the post you quoted said "In June 2017," so:

1. Yes we're a big ten team, but being the laughingstock of the big ten is worse than a very good team in a lesser conference. That reputation is going to take time to shake off.
2. I think they're a very good staff but, again, going to take time.
3. This has always been the case and is (IMO) highly overrated. The best kids go play in Lexington, Lawrence, Bloomington, etc. And unlike football, there are options in NYC (St. John's) and Philly (a whole bunch) that would be able to capitalize.
4. True but this is almost never a deciding factor for top recruits.

It's going to take time for the coaching staff to prove themselves, for the practice facility to get build, etc. I think the team is on the right track but there's a lot to overcome.
1)Jordan was in a worse position than Pikiell and he got four top 150 guys in three years. So it can be done.

2)The 2018 recruiting class will be the core of this team for a long time. He has to have a successful class. The AD will not wait around until 2022 for there to be progress. So it can't take time. The recruiting has to start now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT