ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting thought

RUich

Heisman Winner
Aug 2, 2001
With the number of posters stating they are concerned with the mens BB recruiting, I think we all have to take a very deep breath and remember just how putrid this program has been for way too long.
Pike appears to be the right guy to get this going forward but he still does not have the "name" to get those 4/5 star guys yet.
As an example of what I mean, look at the womens program. They have been down for awhile too from where they used to be. BUT, they also have a Hall of Fame coach who all of these players know about. When she comes a-call-in, they listen.
Right now, they have 5 commits. A 5 star (#6) and two four star players! A 5 star recruit from last year (Davenport) is waiting for them to join her. Stringer has the players to make a lot of noise again.
Pike obviously needs to succeed and get to post season again, this success and his rising stature will start to pay the dividends we are all looking for.

Reactions: RC91CP
With the number of posters stating they are concerned with the mens BB recruiting, I think we all have to take a very deep breath and remember just how putrid this program has been for way too long.
Pike appears to be the right guy to get this going forward but he still does not have the "name" to get those 4/5 star guys yet.
As an example of what I mean, look at the womens program. They have been down for awhile too from where they used to be. BUT, they also have a Hall of Fame coach who all of these players know about. When she comes a-call-in, they listen.
Right now, they have 5 commits. A 5 star (#6) and two four star players! A 5 star recruit from last year (Davenport) is waiting for them to join her. Stringer has the players to make a lot of noise again.
Pike obviously needs to succeed and get to post season again, this success and his rising stature will start to pay the dividends we are all looking for.
The strange thing about Pike is that as we get better his recruiting is getting worse at least from a star-ranking and offer list perspective. In each of the past 2 years before this one, Pike got at least one 4-star (Harper, Young [tranfer], Mulcahy), all of whom had major other offers. This year a one-star and two 3 star recruits with no major offers! That is the source of my concern.

The strange thing about Pike is that as we get better his recruiting is getting worse at least from a star-ranking and offer list perspective. In each of the past 2 years before this one, Pike got at least one 4-star (Harper, Young [tranfer], Mulcahy), all of whom had major other offers. This year a one-star and two 3 star recruits with no major offers! That is the source of my concern.
According to Rivals all three are 3 star recruits this year, as was Mulcahy

Reactions: RUChoppin
I hoped this would be his break out monster class. I hoped we would land at least one of Hawkins Farrar Mitchell but a lot of people didn't want these guys when we first offered either.

I like the recruits we got personally. If we land Cliff this would be an excellent class. Pike is missing that one big time signature recruit which you would hope he could land with 4 ships. I get it.

Not making the tournament in forever and not paying recruits is a tough combo to sell when competing against so many other quality programs. Pike just keeps filling the roster with talent that was better than was on it before

I like all 3 players in this class. They all look fundamentally sound and we got the shooter we've desperately needed. The problem is Reiber will have to play right away - as of right now. The other 2 can develop the games for a yr or 2 - before we even need a big contribution from them. Omuruyi would change the whole outlook of this class - because we really need a help in the post next yr

According to Rivals all three are 3 star recruits this year, as was Mulcahy

Mulcahy was a 4 star on at least one site. Also he and the others I mentioned had many other power conference team offers. This year’s crop have NONE! That is troubling.

I like all 3 players in this class. They all look fundamentally sound and we got the shooter we've desperately needed. The problem is Reiber will have to play right away - as of right now. The other 2 can develop the games for a yr or 2 - before we even need a big contribution from them. Omuruyi would change the whole outlook of this class - because we really need a help in the post next yr
One of the new 4 will have to play. Only wild speculation who it would be. Not sure why you would could say 1 vs other

Before we all make judgements, wait until the kids play and assess then . Ratings to me are meaningless. Dourcoure, jacob young and montez were 4 stars. Do they seem to be 4 stars? Geo wasn’t highly rated. Think Harper was 2 stars. Eugene not highly rated. Wait until the kids play and the coaching staff develops them.

Last edited:
Like the players RU got in this class. Great Size and they can shoot. Pike can develop these kids. IMHO , RU needs to get into NIT minimum this season in order to attract 4 and 5 star kids to show tangible results that RU has taken the next step as a program.

GO RU

Before we all make judgements, wait until the kids play and assess then . Ratings to me are meaningless. Dourcoure, jacob young and montez were 4 stars. Do they seem to be 4 stars? Geo wasn’t highly rated. Think Harper was 2 stars. Eugene not highly rated. Wait until the kids play and the coaching staff develops them.
Amen.

From Pikiell's first ever Rutgers press conference:

"You have to do a great job of evaluating, too. I think people are underestimating evaluating players and developing them. I think what my staff and myself have done a great job of is getting a guy that may be a little under-recruited. We saw something in our work with him and diligence that other schools didn't, and we made him better."

From Pikiell's first ever Rutgers press conference:

"You have to do a great job of evaluating, too. I think people are underestimating evaluating players and developing them. I think what my staff and myself have done a great job of is getting a guy that may be a little under-recruited. We saw something in our work with him and diligence that other schools didn't, and we made him better."

is this going to get a program to 500 or is it going to get a program to the ncaa

Reactions: RU-ROCS
Stars, stars, stars. Would love if there was a measurement tool that analyzed the performance of all the 4-5 stars who finished their careers as 2-3’s, and vice versa. You think the top college coaches rely on these recruiting sites or their own eyes and the talent evaluators on their staff?

Stars, stars, stars. Would love if there was a measurement tool that analyzed the performance of all the 4-5 stars who finished their careers as 2-3’s, and vice versa. You think the top college coaches rely on these recruiting sites or their own eyes and the talent evaluators on their staff?
Let’s do an experiment and actually bring in some guys that other power 5 teams want and see what happens. Forget about the star ratings. Look at the offer lists. The “top college coaches” aren’t going after these guys. If we aspire to be an NCAA tournament team this recruiting is a disaster. Not only isn’t the class highly rated it doesn’t meet our needs! There is no spinning this. And if by some miracle we bring in a stud (great players want to play with great players and make the NCAAs) that’s only 1 of a 4 player class. That’s not good enough.

Let’s do an experiment and actually bring in some guys that other power 5 teams want and see what happens. Forget about the star ratings. Look at the offer lists. The “top college coaches” aren’t going after these guys. If we aspire to be an NCAA tournament team this recruiting is a disaster. Not only isn’t the class highly rated it doesn’t meet our needs! There is no spinning this. And if by some miracle we bring in a stud (great players want to play with great players and make the NCAAs) that’s only 1 of a 4 player class. That’s not good enough.
Bottom line is the recruiting has to pick up if we want the NCAAs. Need two top 100 guys every year. Some will pan out some won’t. That is why you have to recruit consistently in the top 100. I guarantee we will not make the tournament until we recruit like that. 13 guys on the roster - 8 need to be top 100 guys at all times.

Reactions: bac2therac
is this going to get a program to 500 or is it going to get a program to the ncaa
Hopefully a winning season which hasn't happened in 13 years and there are some doubts for this season when the tougher opponents are faced starting in December.

Every year there are highly regarded busts, and every year there are overlooked breakout stars.

There's a higher likelihood that a player will be a top performer if they are more highly regarded by rating agencies and other programs, which behooves a program to pull in a lot of that type of player. But it's an inexact science, and there is history of teams getting to a place of consistently good results and dance invites by getting the "right" players who were less heralded coming out of HS.

Question for me is if we are shoring up needs and getting better incoming production (Mag, Reiber, Palmquist, TBD) than the outgoing production (Yeboah and Carter).

The problem with the premise that we will not get "star" recruits until we win has been proven wrong over the years. Every coach we have had in the last 15 years has gotten some highly recruited 4 star type players even though we were a bad team.

Also fans seem to have trouble being truly objective. If they like the coach them we pretend rankings and offers don't matter and we trust the coach to find the talent. Once we all agree a coach sucks and wont get it done then we all collectively wake up to the poor recruiting. I.e. Ash.

That goes back to getting the "right" highly regarded recruits, and also to developing players once they're here.

We got four-star Chandler... but he was a head case and ended up being dismissed.
We got Judge as a transfer four-star... but it was already evident after 2 years at KState that he hadn't lived up to his billing.
Guys like Inman, Miller, Rosario, and Echenique were four-star recruits, but mishandled by coaches and never hit their true potential at RU.
Mack and Carter were three-star guards to Seagears' four-star rating.

That all said, recruiting is a game of playing the averages. And on average, more highly regarded prospects have a higher likelihood of being successful - so getting more of those players is to a team's advantage. Really need to grab a higher profile guy to finish out this class, imo - but it has to be the "right" higher profile guy at the end of the day.

Over the past most of the four * RU players were recruited at the beginning of a coach’s tenure and over time the team did not prove it could win at a .500 or better level so the 4star recruiting peaked at the beginning tenure. I think Pike is recruiting players with 3 stars that have a story behind it and that Pike and staff are seeing 4 star ability and that with development can compete in the BIG conference (I.e. Baker, Omoruyi, McConnell, Johnson). I firmly believe if RU shows the results on the court this season (.500 or better), Pike will start closing on some 4 stars who want to be a part of a winning program.

I like the combo size and shooting ability of the ‘20 class so far. If a player like CO sees RU make it to the NIT at end of season that could lead to the addition of a BIG piece to this recruiting class.

GO RU

Over the past most of the four * RU players were recruited at the beginning of a coach’s tenure and over time the team did not prove it could win at a .500 or better level so the 4star recruiting peaked at the beginning tenure. I think Pike is recruiting players with 3 stars that have a story behind it and that Pike and staff are seeing 4 star ability and that with development can compete in the BIG conference (I.e. Baker, Omoruyi, McConnell, Johnson). I firmly believe if RU shows the results on the court this season (.500 or better), Pike will start closing on some 4 stars who want to be a part of a winning program.

I like the combo size and shooting ability of the ‘20 class so far. If a player like CO sees RU make it to the NIT at end of season that could lead to the addition of a BIG piece to this recruiting class.

GO RU
And if not, not only will we not attract new recruits, talented players already in the program may bail. And no one is impressed by the NIT.

And if not, not only will we not attract new recruits, talented players already in the program may bail. And no one is impressed by the NIT.
Agree. The end goal is not .500 with appearances in NIT. It’s to win this whole damn thing in the NCAAs like when RU had a chance in the ‘70s but RU has to show tangible evidence on the court that we’re becoming a winning program before having classes filled with 4-5 star players.

We have the right Coach/staff, practice facility, conference, and improved roster. Let’s get more Ws than Ls and watch things continue going up. Heck we may even get a new exterior to the RAC.

GO RU

He's a career .280 from the arc, has more turnovers than assists, and grabs just 2.6 rbs/game. Not seeing what we missed big on.
The kid is a player. We definitely missed on him. He's a complete guard in all aspects.

Agree. The end goal is not .500 with appearances in NIT. It’s to win this whole damn thing in the NCAAs like when RU had a chance in the ‘70s but RU has to show tangible evidence on the court that we’re becoming a winning program before having classes filled with 4-5 star players.

We have the right Coach/staff, practice facility, conference, and improved roster. Let’s get more Ws than Ls and watch things continue going up. Heck we may even get a new exterior to the RAC.

GO RU
But here’s the problem, we’ve now got two consecutive years of recruiting classes without difference makers. You’re not going to get a lot of wins with two weak classes in a row. And I don’t want to hear about developing guys over four years. You need to get guys that are ready to contribute right away because there’s no guarantee in today’s college basketball world that any one player will be around long enough to develop.

If it sounds like I’m really discouraged with what this month has brought I am.

The kid is a player. We definitely missed on him. He's a complete guard in all aspects.

Can you back this up in any way with any kind of stats or highlights. Just because he's flashy, athletic and can dunk does not make him a complete guard in all aspects. He may certainly get better, but for a lead guard playing over 25 mins a game, his assist to turnover ratio is pathetic, he's only 28% from the arc and slightly less than a 40% FG percentage.

But here’s the problem, we’ve now got two consecutive years of recruiting classes without difference makers. You’re not going to get a lot of wins with two weak classes in a row. And I don’t want to hear about developing guys over four years. You need to get guys that are ready to contribute right away because there’s no guarantee in today’s college basketball world that any one player will be around long enough to develop.

If it sounds like I’m really discouraged with what this month has brought I am.

Let's play the season before getting the panties in a bunch.

GO RU

Let's play the season before getting the panties in a bunch.

GO RU
Everyone keeps telling us we’re not an NCAA team this year and that we’re building for the future so anyone concerned about losing to St. Bonaventure or squeaking by Bryant should just chill. “It’s not about this year”. But if our recruiting is poor what are we building toward?

We missed big on Maclung. We could have done something special with that kid. Hate watching him play at Georgetown, hate it!
Caleb is much better

Caleb is a complete player. Maclung is basically the exact opposite of of a complete player. You might be the first to ever call him a complete player honestly.

Reactions: DeaconBluesRU
Caleb is much better

Caleb is a complete player. Maclung is basically the exact opposite of of a complete player. You might be the first to ever call him a complete player honestly.
Ok, we can agree to disagree and Caleb has zero to do with this. I love Caleb's game.

Everyone keeps telling us we’re not an NCAA team this year and that we’re building for the future so anyone concerned about losing to St. Bonaventure or squeaking by Bryant should just chill. “It’s not about this year”. But if our recruiting is poor what are we building toward?
With Rutgers it is never about this year. If we were undefeated going into B1G play then these same people would be talking tourney.

McClung is up and down. He was horrible against Penn State scoring only 3 points and shot 1-9 or 1-11 I believe on field goals. Just because he is fast and can dunk well doesn't mean he is better than McConnell or Baker. I prefer both of those guys over him. He visited and didn't think he could beat out our guards to start and he decommitted. He hardly ever gets an assist if you watch him carefully.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT