ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

Someone help me out here. Grown men are funding 18 year old wrestlers to the tune of $800K during the 4 years they spend on a college campus for…ummm? Bragging rights? Entertainment? Charity? Or are businesses/corporate mainly funding NIL these collectives?

There is a potential return for shoe and gear companies to pay a high school football or basketball player big dollars. A lot of merchandise can be sold with a big return on investment. For example, when C J Stroud struck a partnership with footwear and accessories retailer DSW he got a million dollars. Nationwide sales at DSW's 500 stores boomed. The partnership attracted in a new generation consumer to men's footwear. This was a win-win deal for Stroud and DSW.

Other than Joe Galli, Joe De Sena, and Ira Lubert there are few wrestling supporters who will or can spend a large sum of money to attract a high school wrestler. I can't imagine these successful businessmen making investments of this type and do them annually to attract the next group of star high school recruits.

Other than Burroughs, Dake, and Taylor I can't think of a wrestler who could attack "wrestling consumers", much less the general population. These guys are proven champions and achieved success on the college and Olympic level. Dake and Burroughs were not highly sought out as high school wrestlers. If they were graduating from high school now, I doubt that they would get much NIL money. They were developed in college by Rob Koll and Mark Manning.

Are recruits getting some money? Yes. But anything close to $ 800,000? Unlikely. Let's remember that young kids like to talk and brag. I would be interested in learning actual facts as opposed to rumors posted on message boards.

This talk sounds like preparing us Rutgers fans for our recruits going elsewhere. When one doesn't get the prize, it is natural to blame other circumstances and not look inwardly at oneself.

• Haha
Reactions: Leonard23
There is a potential return for shoe and gear companies to pay a high school football or basketball player big dollars. A lot of merchandise can be sold with a big return on investment. For example, when C J Stroud struck a partnership with footwear and accessories retailer DSW he got a million dollars. Nationwide sales at DSW's 500 stores boomed. The partnership attracted in a new generation consumer to men's footwear. This was a win-win deal for Stroud and DSW.

Other than Joe Galli, Joe De Sena, and Ira Lubert there are few wrestling supporters who will or can spend a large sum of money to attract a high school wrestler. I can't imagine these successful businessmen making investments of this type and do them annually to attract the next group of star high school recruits.

Other than Burroughs, Dake, and Taylor I can't think of a wrestler who could attack "wrestling consumers", much less the general population. These guys are proven champions and achieved success on the college and Olympic level. Dake and Burroughs were not highly sought out as high school wrestlers. If they were graduating from high school now, I doubt that they would get much NIL money. They were developed in college by Rob Koll and Mark Manning.

Are recruits getting some money? Yes. But anything close to $ 800,000? Unlikely. Let's remember that young kids like to talk and brag. I would be interested in learning actual facts as opposed to rumors posted on message boards.

This talk sounds like preparing us Rutgers fans for our recruits going elsewhere. When one doesn't get the prize, it is natural to blame other circumstances and not look inwardly at oneself.
Who knows what the actual numbers are but even if you told me these kids are getting $100K I’d feel the same way. I get the CJ Stroud deal. But these other kids are just getting paid to wear a singlet with no real commercial benefit to the NIL collective or people writing the checks. It’s basically become a dick-measuring contest for alumni and fans.

Someone help me out here. Grown men are funding 18 year old wrestlers to the tune of $800K during the 4 years they spend on a college campus for…ummm? Bragging rights? Entertainment? Charity? Or are businesses/corporate mainly funding NIL these collectives?
Yes. That’s what sports are.

People buy jerseys, memorabilia, tickets, donate to pin pools and RTC, and other things, etc. and for what? It’s all meaningless in the grand scheme of things. At least at the college level, you can feel like you played a role in the potential success. The Penn States and Michigans of the world just have more people with more money than Rutgers does.

Funny how Michigan placed 8th at CKLV. Btw, way to go Boone.
Did Michigan wrestle their full lineup? I dont recall seeing Ragusin or Cannon’s name.. not sure who else they might have been missing.. but indeed funny seeing Michigan finish behind Stanford and Oregon state

Did Michigan wrestle their full lineup? I dont recall seeing Ragusin or Cannon’s name.. not sure who else they might have been missing.. but indeed funny seeing Michigan finish behind Stanford and Oregon state
They had full lineup minus Cannon as Mike said above Ragusin is redshirting behind Cannon who was injured(think concussion).

Reactions: KidDagger
From what I heard back in the day Jude tried to get into Blair twice but was an academic mess…do these kids have to go to class in college anymore?
That’s interesting. Because I know a couple of people that attended Blair as regular students and could barely walk and chew gum at the same time. Athletes especially wrestlers get special treatment at Blair and can’t imagine many if any get rejected. Sem is on par with Blair as far as academics and prestige. Blair is not on the academic and prestige level compared with the Lawrenceville Peddies Hun Hill school etc…

What about Delbarton for athletes? I’ve head admittance is selective , which may or may not be true, but is it easier for athletes?

Very little NIL is paid out in hard cash. Many things are “transfers in kind” arrangements. Use of cars, high end living arrangements, jewelry loans etc.. and of course these numbers are overinflated on both sides.

Last edited:
What about Delbarton for athletes? I’ve head admittance is selective , which may or may not be true, but is it easier for athletes?
Hockey and wrestling make allowances but very few. Delbarton doesn’t compromise academics and doesn’t have to. They don’t have any desire to go the national route for football or basketball which many times leads to lowering standards.

Hockey and wrestling make allowances but very few. Delbarton doesn’t compromise academics and doesn’t have to. They don’t have any desire to go the national route for football or basketball which many times leads to lowering standards.
Yeah that’s true - there are a couple of kids now at PJ and SJR that Delby wanted but scores not high enough and interviews did not go well. And they have tossed stud athletes in the past for academics. SJR is an open door, if your kid can wrestle they’ll get him in there tomorrow no questions asked.

That’s interesting. Because I know a couple of people that attended Blair as regular students and could barely walk and chew gum at the same time. Athletes especially wrestlers get special treatment at Blair and can’t imagine many if any get rejected. Sem is on par with Blair as far as academics and prestige. Blair is not on the academic and prestige level compared with the Lawrenceville Peddies Hun Hill school etc…
Blair does have allowances - so then you can imagine how poorly Jude apparently did. They would have loved for him to be in the line-up. He’s an absolute stud and has wreaked havoc on Blair ever time he wrestles them.

Whatever I’m over it.. we’ll just have to be a team ranked 15-25 every year.. all this nil stuff is ridiculous

For me it’s hard to complain about NIL because now athletes are making money as opposed to the extremely greedy universities. That said, it’s changed the landscape of college sports and it’s being used the way it was intended not to be used. You were supposed to get paid for your name, image, and likeness, not for your ability to commit to a school and play. Kids are now being paid to come as opposed to being paid afterwards.

There probably should be a way to put the NIL money into some sort of trust that can only be collected after graduation or something.

• Haha
Reactions: Leonard23
For me it’s hard to complain about NIL because now athletes are making money as opposed to the extremely greedy universities.
“Greedy universities”? The universities provide the facilities, coaches, support staff, housing/food, education, schollies, etc. That’s a massive investment Universities must make in order to give athletes the ability to play beyond high school (assuming no pro opportunities).

“Greedy universities”? The universities provide the facilities, coaches, support staff, housing/food, education, schollies, etc. That’s a massive investment Universities must make in order to give athletes the ability to play beyond high school (assuming no pro opportunities).
I’m not talking about the athletic departments specifically. I’m talking about the universities that think it’s fair to charge a low end of 150k for a public college education. It’s ridiculous in general

I’m not talking about the athletic departments specifically. I’m talking about the universities that think it’s fair to charge a low end of 150k for a public college education. It’s ridiculous in general
Why not? The taxpayers will foot the bill if needed. $$$$

SCNJ said:
For me it’s hard to complain about NIL because now athletes are making money as opposed to the extremely greedy universities.
I don't understand NIL as "opposed to" or "either student or university". It seems to be money being provided that wasn't before. When successful in sports, universities' investments provide a good return to many of them (Rutgers excluded). Nevertheless, NIL isn't a good thing for competitiveness between universities. I think there will be changes, but like always, only after it creates more of a mess.

I think people here have short memories. How long has NIL been a thing? Not too long ago, our problems were money for SKWC resident athletes, weather, campus, celebrated coaches, and kids wanting to leave home. Now it's NIL money. Logically, if we could offer the same $ amounts, we'd only be back where we were before. It seems we can't just be competitive with NIL dollars, we will have to be higher to compensate for the other deficiencies.

Amazing how Cornell manages to recruit without having to pay wrestlers six figures in NIL BS. As far as I know there is no NIL for Cornell.
Spartan Combat is tied to Cornell’s RTC and I’m sure they have NIL included there somewhere. If not, either way it’s an Ivy League school with world class athletes attached to its RTC like Yianni, Nick Gwiazdowski, Kemerer, etc… which gives it a huge advantage.

Leo DeLuca to Iowa. I guess the Buxton relationship didn't help. We lost out on both Knox and DeLuca. Really thought we would get one of the two of them. I am sure the excuse will be NIL money.
When has the Buxton relationship ever help us land a Blair kid? We had Malcolm Robinson but I don’t think he was ranked too high out of hs.. guess we got a outside shot at Heckel but doubt it.

Leo DeLuca to Iowa. We lost out on both Knox and DeLuca. Really thought we would get one of the two of them. I am sure the excuse will be NIL money.
Iowa and PSU are the pinnacles of college wrestling, so you really can’t blame anyone for wanting to go and wrestle there. Iowa has also been throwing around some serious NIL $ in the portal (and I’m sure to HS recruits) to compete and close the gap to
PSU.

Guess Bill was setting us all up for the rash of non RU commits in the coming days.

We always have an excuse why we cant compete. But again, no one is saying we need to be Iowa, PSU, OSU, Michigan or Ok St but is crazy to think we cant be Minnesota, Nebraska, VT or NC St. We are in a blue blood state for wrestling, great facilities, tremendous fanbase and following, great education, steps from NYC. But we always seem to come up with what we dont have.

Reactions: RobotHunter
Guess Bill was setting us all up for the rash of non RU commits in the coming days.

We always have an excuse why we cant compete. But again, no one is saying we need to be Iowa, PSU, OSU, Michigan or Ok St but is crazy to think we cant be Minnesota, Nebraska, VT or NC St. We are in a blue blood state for wrestling, great facilities, tremendous fanbase and following, great education, steps from NYC. But we always seem to come up with what we dont have.
What excuse

What excuse
Depends on who you ask. NIL, $, RTC, Coaches, etc.. Not saying its all fact but many people throw these reasons around why we cannot compete for recruits including “insiders” like WNG. I actually like our last 5-6 recruits we got commits on or signed but cant say its not disappointing to lose out on top guys we recruited heavily like Knox, Deluca, Lavalle, Ludington, Ziola, etc.

Depends on who you ask. NIL, $, RTC, Coaches, etc.. Not saying its all fact but many people throw these reasons around why we cannot compete for recruits including “insiders” like WNG. I actually like our last 5-6 recruits we got commits on or signed but cant say its not disappointing to lose out on top guys we recruited heavily like Knox, Deluca, Lavalle, Ludington, Ziola, etc.
It's very disappointing. I meet and watch these top recruits workout on their recruiting trips. Some recruits look for NIL. Some recruits look at the RTC/coaching. Every decision by a recruit has been different.

I know what DeLuca got. Michigan offered the most but Iowa came in and matched it so there he went!
It’s pretty satisfying watching Michigan’s team of mercenaries underperform so far… i was looking at our match w them.. we actually match up pretty well against them..

Its amazing that teams like Michigan, Iowa, and Ohio St can offer wrestling recruits 300-400K to come there. How do they have a never ending flow of money for this? Imagine what they are paying for their football and basketball recruits.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
I know what DeLuca got. Michigan offered the most but Iowa came in and matched it so there he went!
How much did Deluca get? Wrestling is becoming a professional sport at this pt.. wonder how much football/bball college athletes r getting now..

It seems to me the team is doing what they can but there’s been setbacks. We talk about 2019, but neither of our two champs are currently associated with the program. Ashnault was the guy we built and when he left we were stuck starting over. Imagine if we had Soriano her for his second and both he and Ashnault with active with the program and sometimes in the room along with Rivera making our kids better. We’d be far more attractive a spot than we are now. So the program is essentially rebuilding, trying to find our next Ashnault to build around.

• Love
Reactions: rubigtimenow
Its amazing that teams like Michigan, Iowa, and Ohio St can offer wrestling recruits 300-400K to come there. How do they have a never ending flow of money for this? Imagine what they are paying for their football and basketball recruits.
What surprises me is that wrestling is not a revenue generator like football so what are folks really paying a wrestler for - to wrestle in front of 1000 fans and may be make the podium at the end of the season?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT