ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting

Good luck with that. Given Ashnault's involvement with Kenny, epic failure if he goes elsewhere. But I'll bet Rutgers is on his list until the end.
Tough to call it an epic failure at this juncture. Realistically between now and a signing date, too many things can happen. Relationships can sour, new relationships with others can form, and it sounds like the bagmen will certainly come calling. I hope to see him in an RU singlet but I wouldnt call it an epic failure if he didn't.

Tough to call it an epic failure at this juncture. Realistically between now and a signing date, too many things can happen. Relationships can sour, new relationships with others can form, and it sounds like the bagmen will certainly come calling. I hope to see him in an RU singlet but I wouldnt call it an epic failure if he didn't.
You're right.

He’ll be a top recruit.. unlikely that we’ll have a shot.
Understand the sentiment…we certainly came close, mainly second, to a lot of top recruits.. mainly due to money I believe….

I remember Mcfadden trained and wanted to come here.. but we didn’t have enough money to match VT so off he went… we gotta have the resources ready for Kenny this time.. he’s a max contract franchise type of guy..

Four 4x state champs in NJ history. If Winston doesn’t get hurt he’s a 5th.

Four of those five wrestled at Rutgers

Not to mention one of the most recent 3x champs is in the starting lineup in Soldano, another 3x champ would be a starter but he’s in redshirt in Olivieri, and a would-be 3x champ if not for injury is our highest ranked guy in Peterson.

But Knox commits to Cornell and we pretend like we never get any good NJ recruits. Kind of funny.

Four 4x state champs in NJ history. If Winston doesn’t get hurt he’s a 5th.

Four of those five wrestled at Rutgers

Not to mention one of the most recent 3x champs is in the starting lineup in Soldano, another 3x champ would be a starter but he’s in redshirt in Olivieri, and a would-be 3x champ if not for injury is our highest ranked guy in Peterson.

But Knox commits to Cornell and we pretend like we never get any good NJ recruits. Kind of funny.
Still a long way to go with Kenny but besides all the other RU connections he has worked with Joe Pollard since he was about 9 years old. So we are way ahead in the relationship department. Hey we might not get him but we are in the early lead!

I will disagree with you about Winston winning as a freshman if not injured. He would have been a huge underdog to returning state champ Dan Vallimont Vallimont finished 2nd and 3rd in the NCAA tournament for Penn State And was a hammer his junior and senior year of High School.

Still a long way to go with Kenny but besides all the other RU connections he has worked with Joe Pollard since he was about 9 years old. So we are way ahead in the relationship department. Hey we might not get him but we are in the early lead!

I will disagree with you about Winston winning as a freshman if not injured. He would have been a huge underdog to returning state champ Dan Vallimont Vallimont finished 2nd and 3rd in the NCAA tournament for Penn State And was a hammer his junior and senior year of High School.
That’s fair but the point remains

Recruiting can always improve but this whole we’re the 2nd choice narrative is only accurate when your intentionally selected sample size is guys that go elsewhere.

What is the latest on Henkel? I know it has to be a long shot, but are we still on his list? I hope we’re pushing hard.

What is the latest on Henkel? I know it has to be a long shot, but are we still on his list? I hope we’re pushing hard.
Apparently we are on his list and he took his visit here.. along with Rath, Ziola and Deluca… probably a long shot.

I agree about Vallimont being a big favorite that season, but a Scott Winston Win wouldn't have shocked me...They met a couple years later at the Penn State Open during season and a healthy Rutgers Winston beat Penn State Vallimont 9-1

Last edited:
Reactions: SCNJ and Leonard23
Would be nice if we had someone at NWHOF duals. Gold pool has teams ranked 1, 3,,5,and 9 in the country, 9 being Delbarton

Great article. Impressive family! Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: Leonard23
Jordan Chapman- cranford. Not sure if he was discussed earlier in the thread. What do we think of his college wrestling potential? I heard he’s coming to Rutger

Edit- just saw a post from December 7th. He’s already committed?

Reactions: LETSGORU91
Jordan Chapman- cranford. Not sure if he was discussed earlier in the thread. What do we think of his college wrestling potential? I heard he’s coming to Rutger

Edit- just saw a post from December 7th. He’s already committed?
Yeah Chapman committed.. heard he’s athletic and raw.. so he could be the next Glasgow or the next Mekhi.. granted I don’t think he’s ranked as high as they were coming out of hs.. but Chapman is still only a jr so might be as a good a prospect after his sr year

Yeah Chapman committed.. heard he’s athletic and raw.. so he could be the next Glasgow or the next Mekhi.. granted I don’t think he’s ranked as high as they were coming out of hs.. but Chapman is still only a jr so might be as a good a prospect after his sr year
Saw him wrestle tonight against not great competition. Really fast and strong.

Saw him wrestle tonight against not great competition. Really fast and strong.
Yep. Good kid too. And Super aggressive on the mat. Going to be fun watching how his HS career finishes. He had exciting match with Perentin this year already and may have two more years with those two.

Last edited:
Nini with a tech and two pins and is now in the Powerade semis

Ford had a tech and decision but lost to the 3 seed by decision and is onto the consis

They are going to have a huge log jam in the middle weights
Definite jam. Why would any high caliber kid want to sit bench? They have a lot of high caliber athletes that aren't wrestling. Something has got to give at some point. Yeah, it's probably cool to wrestle for Cael, but if you're not getting any mat time, what the hell good is it not competing?

Definite jam. Why would any high caliber kid want to sit bench? They have a lot of high caliber athletes that aren't wrestling. Something has got to give at some point. Yeah, it's probably cool to wrestle for Cael, but if you're not getting any mat time, what the hell good is it not competing?
Id guess if they are good they think they are good enough to start or
They train for a year and transfer out when they realize they won't start or
They have world aspirations and there ain't a better club to train freestyle at than the nlwc

Reactions: rubigtimenow
They are going to have a huge log jam in the middle weights
Henkel’s Dad is a mountain of a man like 6’5” 250 or something so Will could end up growing and filling out to avoid the middle weight jam. Regardless, I don’t think PSU went after him that hard so it’s surprising for sure. Also doubt he’s getting any serious money. But he obviously thinks it’s his path to success. Would have looked great in a RU singlet.

Kenny just lost in the Powerade semifinals to Ayden Smith. Smith is a senior Cornell commit who is currently a 1x PA state champ.

Nini loses in the semifinals as well. Lost to Jack Consiglio from Malvern Prep who is currently a 2x National Prep champ and heading to Stanford. He is ranked #2 at 145 and Nini was ranked #8

Reactions: njsportsphan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT