ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Dwayne Haskins

His father grew up in Highland Park so the family had local ties. Terrible tragedy.
Dwayne was born and raised in HP through 9th grade, so he's from HP in my book. My wife's family is from HP and the impact of this on HP is pretty big right now. A whole slew of relatives still lives in HP.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
I dunno. Maybe it's me, but it just seems wrong for the B1G Network to rush to air Haskins' final OSU game tonight.

Apparently he got hit by a dump truck after getting out of his car.

Steelers QB Dwayne Haskins Dead After Being Hit by Car
He did more than just get out of his car. They're trying to figure out why he was trying to cross traffic on foot. The dump truck driver stayed at the scene and he was hit in the middle of the road. Originally I thought he broke down and got hit on the shoulder, but they can't figure out why he was trying to cross the highway with on coming vehicles. It's like trying to cross the Garden State Parkway on foot.

He did more than just get out of his car. They're trying to figure out why he was trying to cross traffic on foot. The dump truck driver stayed at the scene and he was hit in the middle of the road. Originally I thought he broke down and got hit on the shoulder, but they can't figure out why he was trying to cross the highway with on coming vehicles. It's like trying to cross the Garden State Parkway on foot.
Strange he was hit by one of the largest vehicles in the middle of the highway, isnt it? I called suspicious right off the bat. We may never know the real truth. Just like when Tiger flew off the roadway a year ago.

Local report says a man saw saw a many he believed was Haskins walking in the right lane of the interstate before he was hit. The man called 911 6 minutes before the accident.

Was it near the practice facility where he was hit? Could he have been walking from hotel to practice facility and cut across the highway.

if his car had broken down I'm sure it would have been reported.

Why are there no high fence like we have in NJ to prevent these type of incidents?
Why no signs warning people not to cross the highway on foot?

Congress must pass the Haskins Law to prevent these type of incidents in the future.

I have never seen anyone ever cross a highway on foot in NJ. It just does not happen here.

When athletes pass away, while it’s sad, it doesn’t normally impact me.

This one feels different. Incredibly sad, I remember watching his high school tape thinking he was going to be the guy for RU.

Prayers to his family and the Sanu family. Rest easy DH.

This one was a gut punch. Those of us who had been following him from high school knew he was a great kid with a wonderful personality and a class act. A real gentleman. Hoped the Giants would have taken him in the draft and felt like he was about to start a great career in Pittsburg after the misfortune of being stuck in the Washington dumpster fire.

Why are there no high fence like we have in NJ to prevent these type of incidents?

Congress must pass the Haskins Law to prevent these type of incidents in the future.

I have never seen anyone ever cross a highway on foot in NJ. It just does not happen here.

These happen with some frequency in NJ as well. Having a car break down on the highway and getting out is really dangerous. There have been plenty of casualties when people get out of a disabled vehicle.

People don’t wait for the cops to arrive to give you cover. I’ve called in many of them because people don’t understand the danger.

Can't tell if joking. I would hope we don't need signs to persuade people from trying to cross interstate highways, as one has to be an absolute moron to try.

I don't like OSU QBs in the pros, but if Giants took Haskins it would have been ok since he seemed like a like a likeable fellow.

This is an odd incident. People don't just screw around on highways like that. A driver reported him 7 minutes before the accident. He knew the situation was dangerous (and he saw no abandoned car). Then he gets hit by a truck? I'm thinking he got hit on purpose and was waiting for a larger vehicle. He was wasn't waiting all those minutes to "cross the road." He ran out into it imo. He wasn't particularly happy the past year.

Last edited:
I don't like OSU QBs in the pros, but if Giants took Haskins it would have been ok since he seemed like a like a likeable fellow.

This is an odd incident. People don't just screw around on highways like that. A driver reported him 7 minutes before the accident. He knew the situation was dangerous (and he saw no abandoned car). Then he gets hit by a truck? I'm thinking he got hit on purpose and was waiting for a larger vehicle. He was wasn't waiting all those minutes to "cross the road." He ran out into it imo. He wasn't particularly happy the past year.
Obviously we shouldn't speculate but I get what you're saying. I feel really bad for Sanu and Jabbie.

This item reports that Haskins was trying to get gas for the car. Out of respect for the dead, I won't offer an opinion on his judgment. https://www.theroot.com/dwayne-haskins-was-trying-to-get-gas-when-he-was-killed-1848819029
His poor wife. Having to receive the news this way. He may have been pressed for time and anxious to get home.

-----------------------------
The next call appears to be Haskins’ wife, although her first few words are unintelligible.

“...my husband, he was stuck on the side of the highway. He had to go walk and get gas and then he said he was returning to the car on the highway. We were on the phone, he said he would call me back after he finished putting the gas in and I kept calling and kept calling. He wouldn’t answer…I had his location and I just want somebody to go to the area and see if his car is there.”

A dispatcher then asks for Haskins’ location.

“Was he walking on 595?” the dispatcher asks. “I don’t want you to panic but I’m going to be honest with you. We do have an incident on the highway but I can’t confirm if that’s your husband or not.”

It is an odd story.

The actual audio on twitter has three recordings One witness yells "Oh my god, what the f*** is wrong with you, get the f*** out of the road!" She's hysterical. She was one of a few people who called police to say the saw a guy putting himself in danger - one called 7 minutes before the crash. Then there is a report of an accident by a witness who saw the collision.

Last is the wife in Pittsburgh who said "He had to go walk and get gas and then he said he was returning to the car on the highway..We were on the phone and he said he was going to call me back after he finished putting the gas in.."

Wife made it sound like he had gas already. I dont know what he was driving, but he bought a 200k Bentley Bentayga a couple years ago. A millionaire with an expensive car had to have some kind of road service to call - almost everyone with a newer or rental does these days. But even if he did go get gas, the service station isn't giving him a ride back - and NFL QB?.

Personally I don't care how he died because I didn't know him and he didn't play for RU or a NY team. He's a guy in the news. But I still think he likely did something on purpose. People with insurance and beneficiaries plan things to look like accidents so they don't lose the payments.

Last edited:
It is an odd story.

The actual audio on twitter has three people recordings One witness yells "Oh my god, what the f*** is wrong with you, get the f*** out of the road!" She's hysterical. She was one of a few people who called police to say the saw a guy putting himself in danger - one called 7 minutes before the crash. Then there is a report of an accident by a witness who saw the collision.

Last is the wife in Pittsburgh who said "He had to go walk and get gas and then he said he was returning to the car on the highway..We were on the phone and he said he was going to call me back after he finished putting the gas in.."

She makes it sound like he told her he had gas but he didn't. I dont know what he was driving, but he bought a 200k Bentley Bentayga a couple years ago. A millionaire with an expensive car had to have some kind of road service to call - almost everyone with a newer or rental does these days. But even if he did go get gas, the service station isn't giving him a ride back - and NFL QB?.

Personally I don't care how he died because I didn't know him and he didn't play for RU or a NY team. He's a guy in the news. But I still think he likely did something on purpose. People with insurance and beneficiaries plan things to look like accidents so they don't lose the payments.
Cmon are you serious ?? It’s not odd .

Last edited:
?
Story seems fishy
Agreed. First question: Was there gas in the car? Second question: How is an elite athlete not able go judge traffic and avoid oncoming cars? Third: It's a bit odd that one of the biggest vehicles on the road was the one who struck him, right?

It is an odd story.

The actual audio on twitter has three recordings One witness yells "Oh my god, what the f*** is wrong with you, get the f*** out of the road!" She's hysterical. She was one of a few people who called police to say the saw a guy putting himself in danger - one called 7 minutes before the crash. Then there is a report of an accident by a witness who saw the collision.

Wife made it sound like he had gas already. I dont know what he was driving, but he bought a 200k Bentley Bentayga a couple years ago. A millionaire with an expensive car had to have some kind of road service to call - almost everyone with a newer or rental does these days. But even if he did go get gas, the service station isn't giving him a ride back - and NFL QB?.

I t doesn't surprise me that a 24-year old who doesn't sound particularly mature might not watch his fuel gauge and run out of gas, or that he be impatient and decide to go for gas himself. Nor does it surprise me that he didn't get a ride back -- the service station was almost certainly self-service. (It's Florida, not New Jersey.) Nor does it surprise me that he might have assumed that cars would see him. So I think we should hesitate before concluding that this was suicide.

I t doesn't surprise me that a 24-year old who doesn't sound particularly mature might not watch his fuel gauge and run out of gas, or that he be impatient and decide to go for gas himself. Nor does it surprise me that he didn't get a ride back -- the service station was almost certainly self-service. (It's Florida, not New Jersey.) Nor does it surprise me that he might have assumed that cars would see him. So I think we should hesitate before concluding that this was suicide.

I'm not concluding anything
What I think doesn't even matter

I just read a guy was causing multiple people to call 911 to report dangerous behavior for 7 minutes before actually being hit. He wasn't just walking along the road . I heard one caller who was screaming at him. I've stood on busy highways and you dont have to be a genius to know crossing is a big mistake.

I also read the kid was struggling
His wife knocked his teeth out and got arrested
He was on his 3rd team and lost captain title twice
A lot of people from coaches to Michael Strahan were dogging him in the media
He was complaining about all the negative media
He was failing in his career and personal life
He was a n ice guy and clearly was struggling with things
Angry people tend to vent
The nice guys often take it all in

I don't mean to defend athletes too much, but over the last few years I've found sports media to be too toxic, too mean, too vindictive. For the last five years, WFAN alone has been about calling for people to be fired. Francesa dedicated his last years to crucifying Giant coaches and players. Same for Benigno and Jets. Its not just in NY though of course its just worse in some places.

Reactions: newell138
Whatever the reason, it’s a terrible tragedy. My personal opinion based on what I’ve read, is that it doesn’t make much sense and I lean toward that this may not have been accidental.

?

Agreed. First question: Was there gas in the car? Second question: How is an elite athlete not able go judge traffic and avoid oncoming cars? Third: It's a bit odd that one of the biggest vehicles on the road was the one who struck him, right?

A driver of a dump truck would be much less able than a driver of a car to swerve to avoid him or come to a screeching stop.

Not surprising given the circumstances.

sad nonetheless
Very sad. Any one of the following can get you in trouble - A BAC of .2 at 6:45am, special K in your system or a "lady friend" in your car when married. Combining all 3 is a potential recipe for disaster.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
It doesn’t change the facts . DH was killed by a truck attempting to cross an interstate highway while high on drugs. This is the sad part where another young man wasted his future by caving in to a night of a drug induced stupor.

Reactions: RUfinally2008
Very sad. Any one of the following can get you in trouble - A BAC of .2 at 6:45am, special K in your system or a "lady friend" in your car when married. Combining all 3 is a potential recipe for disaster.
Avoid running out of gas (has that remained the reason he stepped away from the vehicle, to go get some fuel?) on a highway especially if there's little to no daylight.

It doesn’t change the facts . DH was killed by a truck attempting to cross an interstate highway while high on drugs. This is the sad part where another young man wasted his future by caving in to a night of a drug induced stupor.

"Drug induced stupor" is probably right but its worth knowing that ketamine is also given as a suicidal ideation treatment

He was on drugs unfortunately . It appears most don’t like to admit the possibility . It is tragic but if you screw around with drugs even some prescribed ones you can sometimes be caught in the middle.

If Schiano or Cristobal were here, I’d say there would have had a much better shot at Haskins.
Did ru ever really have a shot at him? If I recall, he was the same year as that elephant eared fag. I thought we would at least get one

Or he had the night of his life

Or he had the night of his life
It ‘s sad since from what is known he was a good person. Somehow DH was living a troubled life. The mere fact he had drugs in his system says sure he may have had a good evening but the end result cost him his life.

Reactions: ashokan
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT