ADVERTISEMENT

RIP to a legend - Merle Haggard Dies at 79

Ole Cabbagehead

All American
Apr 21, 2011
One of the last great singer song-writers. A true American original, and one of the last connections to the older generation of music, before the British invasion, and before rock and roll. Sadly, we are getting very close to the point where we will no longer have any living connection to that era.

Are the Good Times Really Over for Good?

If there is anyone out there who loves music, and hasn't spent time listening at least to his greatest hits, you should really give it a listen. He was truly a tremendous talent, because he not only could write, but was also an extremely gifted singer. He also led a tremendous life. In short, he actually lived the life Johnny Cash pretended to live.

CNN Story

Last edited:
I cut my country teeth on Merle, and even though I like some of what Nashville puts out these days, I always go back to Merle. Sucks that he's gone, but he laid it all out there in his music and frequently in his life. "Okie From Muskogee" was a risk at the time he came out with it, since the times were changing much in favor of what was going on in the Haight-Ashbury district of San Francisco (and elsewhere), and he called them out on it. And what a unique voice.

I cut my country teeth on Merle, and even though I like some of what Nashville puts out these days, I always go back to Merle. Sucks that he's gone, but he laid it all out there in his music and frequently in his life. "Okie From Muskogee" was a risk at the time he came out with it, since the times were changing much in favor of what was going on in the Haight-Ashbury district of San Francisco (and elsewhere), and he called them out on it. And what a unique voice.

Really a tremendous singer. I love the version of Pancho and Lefty he does. I didn't want to link it above, because its not his song (it was written by another amazing songwriter, Townes Van Zandt). If you listen to him sing that song, and listen to him and Willie sing it together in the version that made it famous, you realize the biggest shame of it is that he only gets 1 verse and Willie gets the others. Merle could outsing Willie any day of the week.

I had the good fortune (or the good foresight) to see Merle last spring at the Mayo in Morristown. I really enjoyed it.

You can't even find a version on Youtube without WIlly -- but here it is...one of the coolest songs ever written.

Pancho and Lefty

Reactions: ElmiraExpress
For those that have Directv you may have seen the series called Guitar Center Sessions. They been doing it for years and a great show. Half live songs half interview. Merle Haggard show just aired a few weeks ago.
It is scheduled to be rebroadcast Saturday morning at 8am

One of the last great singer song-writers. A true American original, and one of the last connections to the older generation of music, before the British invasion, and before rock and roll. Sadly, we are getting very close to the point where we will no longer have any living connection to that era.

Are the Good Times Really Over for Good?

If there is anyone out there who loves music, and hasn't spent time listening at least to his greatest hits, you should really give it a listen. He was truly a tremendous talent, because he not only could write, but was also an extremely gifted singer. He also led a tremendous life. In short, he actually lived the life Johnny Cash pretended to live.

CNN Story
Actually, When Merle was at San Quentin, he met Johnny at one
of his concerts there. Which inspired Merle to change his life, after he was
released johnny and Merle were best of friends to the day Johnny died.
See no reason to take a shot at Johnny.

Reactions: Ole Cabbagehead
released johnny and Merle were best of friends to the day Johnny died...
I saw that, too, and was stunned at the weight of it all.

released johnny and Merle were best of friends to the day Johnny died.
See no reason to take a shot at Johnny.

I knew someone would defend Cash when I wrote that. Its wasn't meant to be a shot, just the truth. Johnny loved the idea of prison and played concerts to inmates. Merle did hard time; Johnny sang about it.

Don't get me wrong though, I love Johnny Cash and listen to his music all the time. I also know the story of their friendship. The only reason I included that was because so many people are aware of Johnny who aren't aware of Merle. I think that's kind of sad. I also think that if more young people took the time to listen to some of the old stuff... old country and western, old singer-song writer music, not the pop country shit we get today, they might find that they like it.

Heck, I am the last person people would expect listens to this stuff. But ever since I started, I really can't get enough of it. Its a great piece of America.

One of my favorite cassettes in the mid 1970s was Merle's Same Train A Different Time: Songs of Jimmie Rodgers.

....Heck, I am the last person people would expect listens to this stuff. But ever since I started, I really can't get enough of it. Its a great piece of America.
Same conversion happened to me about eight years ago. Country's what I listen to 95% of the time, and I'm making the slow leap into bluegrass.

I knew someone would defend Cash when I wrote that. Its wasn't meant to be a shot, just the truth. Johnny loved the idea of prison and played concerts to inmates. Merle did hard time; Johnny sang about it.

Don't get me wrong though, I love Johnny Cash and listen to his music all the time. I also know the story of their friendship. The only reason I included that was because so many people are aware of Johnny who aren't aware of Merle. I think that's kind of sad. I also think that if more young people took the time to listen to some of the old stuff... old country and western, old singer-song writer music, not the pop country shit we get today, they might find that they like it.

Heck, I am the last person people would expect listens to this stuff. But ever since I started, I really can't get enough of it. Its a great piece of America.

I love the Country Classics of the 50s through the 70s with Hank Sr., Don Gibson, Lefty Frizzell, Merle, Ernest Tubbs, Sammy Smith, Johnny Cash, Eddy Arnold, George Jones, Willie, etc. My Dad(mid 80s) has very eclectic tastes and constantly played everything from Sinatra to Hank Williams, Sr. on the old Victrola stereo.

Reactions: Ole Cabbagehead
Do you have a good jumping off point you could recommend?
I'm not incredibly knowledgable about the genre, and it takes some getting used to to listen to it for more than a few songs in a row (country was the same way at first when I shifted from rock), but a group I like a lot is Steve Martin And The Steep Canyon Rangers. You might already know this, but Steve Martin is an incredible banjo player.

If you want to increase your Jersey pride while listening to bluegrass, here's a video from a few years ago of the Sleepy Man Banjo Boys, who are brothers, and the big thing is their young ages. They have three albums out, so if you want to rep NJ while cutting your teeth, this is probably your best option.

I'm saddened, but not surprised he passed away. He was starting to look pretty haggard.

What? Too soon?

Reactions: batts
I try to like country but it all sounds "samey" to me with the trains, bars, cryin mamas, cheatin wives etc. Only time I liked country was when I was under 12 and the Jets practiced near me. I used to go to barbecues with players like Don Maynard, Larry Grantham and others. They were "hicks" and played a lot of country. Maynard played guitar and used to sing to us. I lived in a R&B town though and thats what I grew up on mostly. Never liked a lot of rock either

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT