ADVERTISEMENT

OT: CEO Dies in Freak Accident at Company Party...

RU848789

Legend
Gold Member
Jul 27, 2001
Metuchen, NJ
Tragic, but also makes one wonder what the hell they were thinking, lowering the CEO and Company President in an iron cage over 20 feet into the air onto a concrete dais, apparently because it looked cool, when one of the cables snapped and the two men fell, with the CEO dying and the Company President still in critical condition. I'm still amazed nobody ever got hurt at our annual departmental summer BBQs and Holiday parties, each of which was offsite with alcohol flowing.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/tec...ompany-party/ar-BB1h5UEW?ocid=nl_article_link

During a celebration for Vistex's 25th anniversary, Shah and the company's president Vishwanath Raju Datla were suspended in an iron cage more than 20 feet in the air. "Shah and Raju being lowered from the cage onto the dais," a company official told The Times of India Jan. 20, "was a planned event to kickstart the celebrations."

However, as the duo were being lowered, one of the two wires attached to the cage snapped, causing both men to fall 15 feet and land onto the concrete stage in front of the party's reported 700 guests. Local authorities said, per the outlet, "At the time of the accident, music was being played and Shah and Raju were waving to their staff while being lowered." Shah died of his injuries at the hospital following the accident, The Times of India reported, while Datla, 52, who sustained a severe head injury, remains in critical condition.

Tragic, but also makes one wonder what the hell they were thinking, lowering the CEO and Company President in an iron cage over 20 feet into the air onto a concrete dais, apparently because it looked cool, when one of the cables snapped and the two men fell, with the CEO dying and the Company President still in critical condition. I'm still amazed nobody ever got hurt at our annual departmental summer BBQs and Holiday parties, each of which was offsite with alcohol flowing.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/tec...ompany-party/ar-BB1h5UEW?ocid=nl_article_link

During a celebration for Vistex's 25th anniversary, Shah and the company's president Vishwanath Raju Datla were suspended in an iron cage more than 20 feet in the air. "Shah and Raju being lowered from the cage onto the dais," a company official told The Times of India Jan. 20, "was a planned event to kickstart the celebrations."

However, as the duo were being lowered, one of the two wires attached to the cage snapped, causing both men to fall 15 feet and land onto the concrete stage in front of the party's reported 700 guests. Local authorities said, per the outlet, "At the time of the accident, music was being played and Shah and Raju were waving to their staff while being lowered." Shah died of his injuries at the hospital following the accident, The Times of India reported, while Datla, 52, who sustained a severe head injury, remains in critical condition.

That’s not nearly as far as Hans Gruber fell at the Nakatomi holiday party.

Seems like every year I see someone drop from some sort of rigging.
Even if riggers and rigging ok I dont think untrained people should be fooling around in heights.
Some of the older tech guys seem to want to look cool.
Get them a black leather jacket like Nvidia's Jensen Huang and draw a line.

Reactions: MulletCork
It'll be on the news shows tonight as "breaking news".

Saw the news and video yesterday.

Quoting your article, “one of the two wires attached to the cage snapped.” TWO wires. Stupid.

Reactions: RU848789
Sounds similar to Owen Hart's death in that he as totally unnecessary and stupid.

Not sure I would refer to this as “freak.” Was it doing something unusual and probably (now certainly) unsafe? Plus India, where safety standards are likely lower (I wouldn’t attempt in the developed world either). Not freak.

Itsy Office Christmas Party movie in real life

office-christmas-party-party-time.gif

This type of thing is why those boardwalk rides that are swings that go around in a circle and you are kind of flying around freak me out. They have two wires attached and a safety chain in case the wires break. That thing is sitting out all summer and who knows how old it is and it gets tons of use. I don’t trust cables or wires.

Reactions: newell138
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT