ADVERTISEMENT

When we look back at this season…

motel00

Junior
Mar 8, 2007
I think the expectations were clearly not in line with what this team could accomplish. I think you have to look at the hits that the program took before the season even started:

1. Our assistant head coach leaves for big money, and takes Ndongo. The guy goes on to average 12 and eight at Georgia Tech.

2. Cam Spencer leaves for greener pastures late in the process.

3. Paul Mulcahy leaves late in the process for reasons known only to him.

And then, when we finally get Mag back, it turns out that he has not had full healing, and we really only had him at 100% for a few games this season.

Those are four big hits to a program when you consider what those players have to offer when they are 100%. And the only positive against those hits was the inclusion of Jeremiah Williams, who gave us a four game spark before the Big Ten figured out how to slow him down.

And we also need to look at the fact that as much as everyone wants to attack our coach, these things were not within his control.

I think the expectations were clearly not in line with what this team could accomplish. I think you have to look at the hits that the program took before the season even started:

1. Our assistant head coach leaves for big money, and takes Ndongo. The guy goes on to average 12 and eight at Georgia Tech.

And then, when we finally get Mag back, it turns out that he has not had full healing, and we really only had him at 100% for a few games this season.

Those are four big hits to a program when you consider what those players have to offer when they are 100%. And the only positive against those hits was the inclusion of Jeremiah Williams, who gave us a four game spark before the Big Ten figured out how to slow him down.

And we also need to look at the fact that as much as everyone wants to attack our coach, these things were not within his control.
F all of them for their timing and/or greed. Not a truly loyal son among them. Mag gets a pass if all injuries are legit. If not, F him too.

I would have a hard time accepting any player who is healthy but refusing to play, if that is what is happening
If he is injured, that's a different c story
We’ll never know what happened but there were more than a few games where Mag was practicing, cleared by medical, Pike expected him to play, and he didn’t. And late in the season Pike even mentioned Mag after the Minnesota game hoping that he’d be back. Mag wasn’t talked about after that. Even on Senior Day, watch Pike’s postgame presser. He had great things to say about all of the seniors and made one passing mention of Mag. We all know Pike — if Mag was simply too injured to play — Pike would’ve been praising him for his commitment to the team and effort to get back playing (as he did early in the season). That didn’t happen.

Reactions: motorb54
Ndongo was the primary hit, the rest was ultimately a long term thing for 2024-25 and beyond. We needed clarity and clearly know what needs to happen and who can contribute and we found out what has to happen. We found a bench option in JMike Davis and sophs Simpson and Wolf took a step back.

Reactions: Loyal_2RU
The loss of Spencer,Mulcahy and Ndongo obviously impacted team performance.At the same time there was no evidence of player development for players that were on the roster.The margin for error was slim because of the long scoring droughts and the absence of go to scorers.

Reactions: darkcheck
Looking back over the preseason prediction thread - it was near unanimous that losing Mulcahy and Spencer would have little to no effect on the team.
In fact, most predicted a better season (making the NCAA tourney).

So was it a failure of coaching or a failure of analysis by those making expectations?

Looking back over the preseason prediction thread - it was near unanimous that losing Mulcahy and Spencer would have little to no effect on the team.

So was it a failure of coaching or a failure of analysis by those making expectations?
I didn’t say what I thought but after watching the Princeton game I knew we were going to struggle. Imo people wanted to believe we’d be good and listened to the media reports and pikes positivity to reinforce that.

We also thought Griffiths would score in bunches. He was not shy in shooting. Got to give him that. He did seem to have much more fight in him the last half dozen games or so and that was encouraging. A year in the weight room should help but his shootin' eye wasn't lookin that good.

I didn’t say what I thought but after watching the Princeton game I knew we were going to struggle. Imo people wanted to believe we’d be good and listened to the media reports and pikes positivity to reinforce that.

I was always skeptical of Fernandes and AWill just from a pure profile perspective.

Noah: 5'10" PG (admittedly it's my NBA bias of size)
AWill: 6'4" guard who scored by over powering and bullying defenders at the rim.

To me, neither one of these seemed to be an "easily" translated skill when moving up to the Big Ten.

I was always skeptical of Fernandes and AWill just from a pure profile perspective.

Noah: 5'10" PG (admittedly it's my NBA bias of size)
AWill: 6'4" guard who scored by over powering and bullying defenders at the rim.

To me, neither one of these seemed to be an "easily" translated skill when moving up to the Big Ten.
What I saw was a short and inexperienced team that couldn’t get to the rim or rebound. Edit not to mention shoot.

The fourth hit was Jermiah Willams being ineligible for the first 20 games.

Reactions: megadrone

It was an unhealthy attachment to the "addition by subtraction" philosophy.

I’m going to go with “failure of a bunch of message board posters to be able to objectively analyze the talent” over “coaching failure.”

Yup some of this was truly out of Pike’s hands. However, the outcomes of numbers 1, 2, and 3 can/should be at least partially be influenced by the coach and others. Part of that 3.25 million salary is to try to ensure some, and especially not all of them happen at once. Could any of them have been avoidable…we don’t know…but it reeks of bad planning and overestimating the performance of their replacements. Not much sympathy here.

There were realistic ways this season could’ve gone well, but basically everything broke against us. Pike deserves his share of the blame but it’s time of to move on and forward imo. For all the angst here 15-16 (7-13) is not some disastrous or embarrassing record for a down year.

The season prediction thread is pretty optimistic every year, I wouldn’t read much into it. The more unknowns there are (there were a lot this year) to further off it will likely be from baseline reality as many fans will round every unknown in our direction.

Reactions: Bayonnebomber79
Losing 2 of your 3 top starters in the summer was a near death kneel. Then Mag never got on the court - that’s a third starter. And Cliff really underwhelmed this year, particularly on offensive side.

All 4 of those guys would have been starters this year. Baye is ACC All Rookie team. Cliff was partially a victim of poor guard play.

The lack of quality depth in this program has been an issue for 3 years

Dont give Pike a pass on this

Agreed, but giving him the benefit of the doubt with Covid messing up who is staying/going and the fact that it wasn’t until 21-22 or 22-23 when it became clear that Pikes program is built to last - not just the lightning in a bottle that was Geo, Ron and Caleb.

Looking at Greg’s trajectory - it took another 5 years from the magical 2006 lightning in a bottle season before he was a perennial top 25 recruiter. Perceptions are hard to change. Pike has already put together 4 top 30 classes in 8 years - and he’s clearly swinging for the fences with the 2025 class and the addition of Coach Smoke.

Besides the off-season hits to losing Ndongo and the very late losses of Cam and Paul , there was a reasonable expectation of improvement coming into the year that never materialized.
1) Gavin came with a reputation as one of the best shooters in high school and why he was rated that high. We thought he would replace or lessen the blow of losing Cam’s three point shooting and overall game. It never happened and was disastrous the whole year as we never got a 5-5 heat check game but saw a glimpse of his ability in the last few games. My bigger disappointment was his failure to give us anything else like rebounding , driving , hitting jumpers in the lane or wings , defense , for like 15-20 games. Only in the last 7-10 has he done a little rebounding , still very few drives and very few shots in the paint taking advantage of his 6’8 height. , still shooting a lot from way downtown and not enough off a curl or a screen , a little defense and blocked shots. Expected a complete player but was disappointed.
2) Derek. Coming off his freshman year , we expected the big jump like Smith gave Purdue , Thornton gave Ohio State and Josh gave Iowa . Instead we got a bottom 10 shooter in all of Division 1. No one saw that coming. It dug us holes and his missed jumper after jumper was like a turnover.
3) Mag. We knew he was coming off ACL but all reports were if he would not be totally ready by November , he would be good to go by January and the main conference season. We got the shell of the player we thought we were getting and then he was shut down . No one expected this level of contribution .
4) Cliff - There will be some who state he did not improve enough , but his total almost neglect by the terrible guard play made Cliff an afterthought. When the BIG 10 Media and Coaches named him Preseason First Team , I was expecting at least 15 points and 10 rebounds every night and hoping for 20/10. Other than 1 or 2 games it never happened. There were games where he shot only 2-3 times or only 5 while our guards put up 10 or more shots with almost none of them going in. This offense failed because we allowed our guards to be shoot first guards and not pass first guards and their selfishness or inexperience or inability to get Cliff as a big part of the offense every night doomed us. My expectation was reasonable the result unimaginable.
5) Having no Cam and no Paul and Noah struggling for most of the year except 1-2 games , losing Jeremiah for 20 games was too many to not have him available so the impact of the portal transfer was not fully realized.
So a ton went wrong but expectations I think were reasonable but the result was so far below expectations , no one including Pike envisioned it.
Lastly on Pike , I truly believe he never got a handle on this team and the horrendous shooting from 2 from 3 and from the foul line , layups , never allowed him to put the staple of his teams to use . The flailing at combinations , searching for an Answer , resulting in the worst rebounding team in his tenor and worst shooting team , made him not coach his best and he couldn’t make them better. He will look back and admit he didn’t do a good job but frankly not sure a lot of coaches could have positively succeded with the mess that showed up every night.

Besides the off-season hits to losing Ndongo and the very late losses of Cam and Paul , there was a reasonable expectation of improvement coming into the year that never materialized.
1) Gavin came with a reputation as one of the best shooters in high school and why he was rated that high. We thought he would replace or lessen the blow of losing Cam’s three point shooting and overall game. It never happened and was disastrous the whole year as we never got a 5-5 heat check game but saw a glimpse of his ability in the last few games. My bigger disappointment was his failure to give us anything else like rebounding , driving , hitting jumpers in the lane or wings , defense , for like 15-20 games. Only in the last 7-10 has he done a little rebounding , still very few drives and very few shots in the paint taking advantage of his 6’8 height. , still shooting a lot from way downtown and not enough off a curl or a screen , a little defense and blocked shots. Expected a complete player but was disappointed.
2) Derek. Coming off his freshman year , we expected the big jump like Smith gave Purdue , Thornton gave Ohio State and Josh gave Iowa . Instead we got a bottom 10 shooter in all of Division 1. No one saw that coming. It dug us holes and his missed jumper after jumper was like a turnover.
3) Mag. We knew he was coming off ACL but all reports were if he would not be totally ready by November , he would be good to go by January and the main conference season. We got the shell of the player we thought we were getting and then he was shut down . No one expected this level of contribution .
4) Cliff - There will be some who state he did not improve enough , but his total almost neglect by the terrible guard play made Cliff an afterthought. When the BIG 10 Media and Coaches named him Preseason First Team , I was expecting at least 15 points and 10 rebounds every night and hoping for 20/10. Other than 1 or 2 games it never happened. There were games where he shot only 2-3 times or only 5 while our guards put up 10 or more shots with almost none of them going in. This offense failed because we allowed our guards to be shoot first guards and not pass first guards and their selfishness or inexperience or inability to get Cliff as a big part of the offense every night doomed us. My expectation was reasonable the result unimaginable.
5) Having no Cam and no Paul and Noah struggling for most of the year except 1-2 games , losing Jeremiah for 20 games was too many to not have him available so the impact of the portal transfer was not fully realized.
So a ton went wrong but expectations I think were reasonable but the result was so far below expectations , no one including Pike envisioned it.
Lastly on Pike , I truly believe he never got a handle on this team and the horrendous shooting from 2 from 3 and from the foul line , layups , never allowed him to put the staple of his teams to use . The flailing at combinations , searching for an Answer , resulting in the worst rebounding team in his tenor and worst shooting team , made him not coach his best and he couldn’t make them better. He will look back and admit he didn’t do a good job but frankly not sure a lot of coaches could have positively succeded with the mess that showed up every night.
Very well stated

Reactions: goru7
F all of them for their timing and/or greed. Not a truly loyal son among them. Mag gets a pass if all injuries are legit. If not, F him too.
Mulcahy gave us four years as a starter and earned his degree. Sounds loyal to me, it is not a prison. We don't know what went down to make him leave. Money, disrespect, needing a change, maybe multiple reasons or something else, it's his life, not RU BBalls.

Reactions: RUDiddy777
This team stinks. It stunk from the word go. You could see immediately- Cliff didn't get much better, Fernandes is a shrimp who would get overpowered, Simpson should have made a much bigger progression in his second year, and the team collectively couldn't shoot, which has become a trademark under Pike teams. Throw in JWill who turned out to be the best player was sitting, Hyatt still the same guy, and Gavin not being ready to compete and it was a disaster season.

I said it from the jump. This team was going nowhere. The only goal should have been to get the guys that are coming back the most run and experience possible. This was a complete throw away season.

These are going to be the norm across college sports now. It's going to be very difficult to line up the right cocktail of players every year with free agency.

Reactions: Mr Magoo
Very well stated
Thank you. Want to add one more thing. Andre Hyatt did not improve one iota this year and his rebounding or should I say his unwillingness to even jump for a rebound hurt us immensely. Not an expectation but just maybe a senior playing his final year and free of Ron and Mag and having the stage to himself , came up so small this year , especially on the road. Your veteran presence on the road was MIA

Well said.

I agree. Pike - whether it's on him or not - suffered terribly from our two starting senior guards bolting in June.

Reactions: RUDiddy777

In fairness, no one saw Spencer going from 0 star to maybe best player (or among them) in college ball. Basically unheard of.

This was still a fun year. Sweeping Michigan was amazing - both games, the 15-pt comeback for our first ever win in Ann Arbor in history, and the blowout at home.

The Indiana game at the RAC was so enjoyable, love smashing those morons.

Many will forget how we beat #11 Wisconsin this year by 22, you can try to rationalize it or diminish it but it happened. They were #6 the week before and were a blown call from beating Purdue at home, it all spiraled from there but they could have easily come in #2 or #3 when we smashed them.

Boo Buie ends his career against us by flopping and missing the game-tying 3 at the buzzer.

Another Big Ten villain, Tominaga misses a game-tying 3 at the buzzer in overtime to lose to us also at the RAC.

I and many were in Newark to watch us drain 3 after 3 and smash Seton Hall and steal back the Garden State hardwood trophy on their court.

It wasnt the ending we all hoped for but there were some great games and memories this year for a lot of fans to enjoy!

The lack of quality depth in this program has been an issue for 3 years

Dont give Pike a pass on this
I wouldn’t give him a pass, but I give him a pass. Look, the best case scenario for Pike, or any coach that Rutgers could have afforded or attracted, was to overachieve with some under recruited players, and then try to build on that over time. The odds of success for programs in this situation are always very small.

Pike did it.

But until this year‘s recruiting class, he still didn’t have the money, or the blueblood program, to sell to land all the recruits that he would like. In terms of money, it still sounds like we are behind.

So a lot of that is about the program not just about Pike. You don’t just go grab whatever recruits you want and add depth. You have to actually build the program up.

I’m not sure how some here give Pike a total pass on what occurred this year. It’s laughable. In the NIL era, you need to be prepared for players to leave. The problem was no depth beyond Cam from a scoring perspective and that’s on Pike 100%. If we want to take the next step and become a consistent top half of the B1G team, Pike’s philosophy needs to change…we need to evolve on the offensive end and there needs to be recruiting depth. Stocking up on one dimensional players who can only play defense won’t cut it. The recruiting pieces are there next year, now can Pike adjust the philosophy on the court…TBD

Last edited:
I’m not sure how some here give Pike a total pass on what occurred this year. It’s laughable. In the NIL era, you need to be prepared for players to leave. The problem was no depth beyond Cam from a scoring perspective and that’s on Pike 100%. If we want to take the next step and become a consistent top half of the B1G team, Pike’s philosophy needs to change…we need to evolve on the offensive end and there needs to be recruiting depth. Stocking up on one dimensional players who can only play defense won’t cut it. The recruiting pieces are there next year, now can Pike adjust the philosophy on the court…TBD
I think Pike's philosophy on O for next year can be summarized as: the players make more of the shots they take. It will be quite the evolution with Ace and Dylan in "philosophy".

I think Pike got caught with his pants down regarding Paul and Cam and Ndongo. But of course I give him a pass. It's a new world and he didn't foresee this. Understandable, but still it's on him. With the benefit of hindsight, it's at least theoretically possible that different choices could have been made.

But with the #2 recruiting class in the country coming in, and a string of NCAA Tourney quality teams in recent years, Pike has 100% built the program up to the point where he deserves a pass for 1 step back among the many steps forward.

I think Pike's philosophy on O for next year can be summarized as: the players make more of the shots they take. It will be quite the evolution with Ace and Dylan in "philosophy".

I think Pike got caught with his pants down regarding Paul and Cam and Ndongo. But of course I give him a pass. It's a new world and he didn't foresee this. Understandable, but still it's on him. With the benefit of hindsight, it's at least theoretically possible that different choices could have been made.

But with the #2 recruiting class in the country coming in, and a string of NCAA Tourney quality teams in recent years, Pike has 100% built the program up to the point where he deserves a pass for 1 step back among the many steps forward.

I haven’t seen an “NCAA quality team” in 3 years

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT