ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Do we feel bad for Seton Hall?

LeapinLou

Heisman Winner
Jul 25, 2001
Some weird parallels here. Last year, we lost to SHU, beat the #1 team in the county, and ended up the 2nd team in the last four out. This year, they lose to Rutgers, beat the #1 team in the country, and end up the 2nd team in the last four out.

I feel bad for the Big East. They literally went from 6 teams in the tournament to 3 on Saturday. Seton Hall, St. Johns, and Providence are all good teams but the bid stealers crushed them. Meanwhile, I have a friend that's an NC State fan. He's actually upset that they made it because he wanted the coach fired. Now he'll probably get an extension, lol.

Compare Michigan State's resume to those 3 Big East teams and, in my opinion, Michigan State is easily the worst of the four teams. And yet as a 9 seed, MSU isn't even on the bubble. I guess the committee didn't want Izzo's streak to end this year. @bac2therac your thoughts?

I feel bad for them because of all the bid thieves.

But this narrative that this is some huge snub is totally off base. I think the vast majority of bracketologists had them out yesterday because of the bid thieves.

If you want to talk about snubs, WE were snubbed last year when almost all bracketologists had us in. I still get mad thinking about watching Nevada get their shit pushed in by a mediocre ASU team in Dayton.

I've always believed that bid stealers should steal invitations that would have gone to teams in their own conference. SH shouldn't"t be punished for NC State winning the ACC tournament, a team from the ACC should have.

With a net of 67, it should have come as no surprise. I know there’s other factors, but I can’t recall an at large bid having been awarded to a team with a net that low.

I feel bad for them because of all the bid thieves.

But this narrative that this is some huge snub is totally off base. I think the vast majority of bracketologists had them out yesterday because of the bid thieves.

If you want to talk about snubs, WE were snubbed last year when almost all bracketologists had us in. I still get mad thinking about watching Nevada get their shit pushed in by a mediocre ASU team in Dayton.
This. I also grew tired of the overrated BE all year. They got a lot of mileage out of the UCONN win, but as another poster brought up, Clingan was out for much of that game. Bottom line is that they just didn't do enough on the positive side and failed to avoid landmines in the OOC.

Reactions: Loyal-Son
They have a case…but in the end , their league record is 9-7 with four ridic easy wins in Georgetown and DePaul ….and they had three losses OOC to sub .500 Rutgers and USC and NIT Iowa …that knocks them down

They had a real bubble resume for a long time when you look at like that

It’s the same bubble issue we had last year …when we went 19-14 …7-8 against the NCAA and had sone wins against NIT level programs , but really got hurt with sone bad losses like the hall did

It’s the total resume .

Reactions: bIhawk
Funny stuff. A poster over there is proposing discontinuing the series with RU because it only hurts them in the long run. Like there were no other factors keeping them out. Honestly, I don't care if we play them anymore either way.

Some weird parallels here. Last year, we lost to SHU, beat the #1 team in the county, and ended up the 2nd team in the last four out. This year, they lose to Rutgers, beat the #1 team in the country, and end up the 2nd team in the last four out.

I feel bad for the Big East. They literally went from 6 teams in the tournament to 3 on Saturday. Seton Hall, St. Johns, and Providence are all good teams but the bid stealers crushed them. Meanwhile, I have a friend that's an NC State fan. He's actually upset that they made it because he wanted the coach fired. Now he'll probably get an extension, lol.

Compare Michigan State's resume to those 3 Big East teams and, in my opinion, Michigan State is easily the worst of the four teams. And yet as a 9 seed, MSU isn't even on the bubble. I guess the committee didn't want Izzo's streak to end this year. @bac2therac your thoughts?
no I dont feel sorry for them at all.

3-4 bids were stolen from the cut line and they were the victims, its pretty simple

all the salty SHU and Providence fans in Wachtels twitter feed are missing out on the obvious.

Michigan State has wins over Baylor and Illinois. The Illinois win on par with Marquette while the Baylor is of course less than UConn. The Michigan State has a clean profile and also beat Indiana State ooc while their sos overall and especially non conference way better than shu

shu did jack shit out of conference and it shows on their resume.

St Johns had 1 win vs the field..pathetic

providence was 10-13 vs Q1/2/3...non starter

the league is not as good as the press would want you to think it is. Its rated 5th actually in the net

Kenan Thompson Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

Funny stuff. A poster over there is proposing discontinuing the series with RU because it only hurts them in the long run. Like there were no other factors keeping them out. Honestly, I don't care if we play them anymore either way.
Disagree - I really enjoy the rivalry.

Disagree - I really enjoy the rivalry.
I really don't think about them too much since we are not in the same league anymore. The only reason I'm paying them this much attention is because their fans are bitching so much. The stuff being said on WFAN is comical - conspiracy, anti-BE stuff.

I really don't think about them too much since we are not in the same league anymore. The only reason I'm paying them this much attention is because their fans are bitching so much. The stuff being said on WFAN is comical - conspiracy, anti-BE stuff.
is anyone bringing up the bid stealers because thats why shu isnt in....3-4 bids were stolen....all of their big east resumes were flawed. they were the last ones in and first to go..too bad

what are they going to do refuse to play us at our place for the 2nd time in 3 years?
The bid stealers did just that..and too many of them to overcome this year. Sorry for that. I was also rooting for Princeton to win the Ivy but oh well. Bad year fer Joisy.

That was the lamest of excuses used and if you believe that was the reason for last season’s snub we then deserved the outcome. What did it matter ? For RU to accept this( Rutgers Athletics) as the answer to why we sat home is on us. Seton Hall , St.John’s and several others ( like us in ‘23) should understand the frailties of the selection committee. They did not do enough …

They laugh at our every inconvenience so they can shove it. Let RHJ’s alley-oop play on repeat

Like fans of other schools (eg , Syracuse) they seem to think about us a lot more than we do about them.

I am sure most of them were actively rooting against us making it last year and rejoiced at our snub

Me? I haven’t followed SHUs season at all. Didn’t even realize that they ended up with a decent season.

Do I care that they got snubbed? Well I’m not exactly gonna lose sleep over it….

This. I also grew tired of the overrated BE all year. They got a lot of mileage out of the UCONN win, but as another poster brought up, Clingan was out for much of that game. Bottom line is that they just didn't do enough on the positive side and failed to avoid landmines in the OOC.
Clingan went out of that game about two-third of the way through with UConn already down six. They were not going to win. Of course, that and a dollar will get me a cup of coffee today.

Seton Hall was hurt most by the bid stealers, and the OOC results were obviously terrible. Some bad luck there; USC and Mizzou were supposed to be better than they were. You guys did us no favors, either. (The inverse comparison of this year's scenario with Seton Hall and Rutgers and last year's is interesting!)

In and of itself, I can accept Seton Hall being left out, but some of the teams getting in over them make it much tougher. Florida Atlantic? And as an 8, no less? Insane. UVa? Defies imagination. Michigan State played some tough OOC teams, but its best win was Butler. Beating Illinois is really nice, but we beat UConn and Marquette. And even they're a 9.

All that said, I don't expect this is the place to find sympathy! It's not like we had much to offer you folks last year, which is the natural order of things.

Clingan went out of that game about two-third of the way through with UConn already down six. They were not going to win. Of course, that and a dollar will get me a cup of coffee today.

Seton Hall was hurt most by the bid stealers, and the OOC results were obviously terrible. Some bad luck there; USC and Mizzou were supposed to be better than they were. You guys did us no favors, either. (The inverse comparison of this year's scenario with Seton Hall and Rutgers and last year's is interesting!)

In and of itself, I can accept Seton Hall being left out, but some of the teams getting in over them make it much tougher. Florida Atlantic? And as an 8, no less? Insane. UVa? Defies imagination. Michigan State played some tough OOC teams, but its best win was Butler. Beating Illinois is really nice, but we beat UConn and Marquette. And even they're a 9.

All that said, I don't expect this is the place to find sympathy! It's not like we had much to offer you folks last year, which is the natural order of things.
Michigan State beat Baylor and across the board better metrics and sos

FAU beat Arizona

Virginia was 17-10 in q123...shu 11-12

This is a lesson for Pike and his team next year...crush it next year. Don't leave yourself having to sweat it out during Conference tournaments and worry about the bubble. Easily get into the tournament. Don't stress yourselves and us next year and maybe save a year on our life expectancies. Do us a favor for once!!!

what are they going to do refuse to play us at our place for the 2nd time in 3 years?
The bid stealers did just that..and too many of them to overcome this year. Sorry for that. I was also rooting for Princeton to win the Ivy but oh well. Bad year fer Joisy.
Purdue can breathe a sigh of relief.

Like fans of other schools (eg , Syracuse) they seem to think about us a lot more than we do about them.

I am sure most of them were actively rooting against us making it last year and rejoiced at our snub

Me? I haven’t followed SHUs season at all. Didn’t even realize that they ended up with a decent season.

Do I care that they got snubbed? Well I’m not exactly gonna lose sleep over it….
"Me? I haven’t followed SHUs season at all. Didn’t even realize that they ended up with a decent season."

Agree with this...and I think this is due to the place Rutgers has eventually ended up. Our BIG invite is, I believe (hope?), the gift that keeps on giving to perhaps the most insecure population to be found on this planet lol...Rutgers sports fans. On my most forlorn days of Rutgers fandom, it is like that blue blanket is for Linus...we will be ok despite all of our missteps.

I used to be really bitter about Seton Hall...Princeton...St. John's...most of the Big East Mafia...Notre Dame and the like. Now, I tend to be like RedTeam1994...I don't even realize or care if they have a decent season. Though, I might celebrate just a little if they crash and burn once in a while lol. 😎

To quote the great Rutgers philosopher, RU_EB: "They laugh at our every inconvenience so they can shove it. Let RHJ’s alley-oop play on repeat". 😂

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT