ADVERTISEMENT

RIVALS RANKINGS WEEK

Hopefully we are getting looks from Zed Key and Darius Miles. Obviously Cliff Omoruyi also.

I like Zed Key’s game from what I have seen, first impression was that he reminds me some of dererk pardon.

Key went from the 230 range to 115 in 4 months....Darius Miles still around at 139 or so.

Coleman Hawkins was in the 80 range this time last year so rankings are very fluid and change a lot.

Reactions: Scarlet Shack
Key went from the 230 range to 115 in 4 months....Darius Miles still around at 139 or so.

Coleman Hawkins was in the 80 range this time last year so rankings are very fluid and change a lot.
Yes, as we see more of kids and as some kids improve there will be movement. Especially after watching kids during the spring and summer before their senior year.

Caleb Murphy went from un-ranked right into the top 60 off of his play in June and July.

I'm really looking forward to the 2021 update on Friday because we are expanding from 100 to a full 150. So there will be quite a bit of movement plus quite a few debuts.

Hopefully we are getting looks from Zed Key and Darius Miles. Obviously Cliff Omoruyi also.

Is that Darius Miles from the Clippers son?

The Darius Miles never played in college. Can he return the money he made in the NBA and play at RU?

:WideSmile:

Is that Darius Miles from the Clippers son?

The Darius Miles never played in college. Can he return the money he made in the NBA and play at RU?

:WideSmile:

Not sure if any relation but I like him a lot:

Wonder if Jeremy Roach and Puff Johnson hang out together. :pimp:

I don't see us getting anyone in the top 150, unfortunately.

Not a good indication of recruiting progress if your prediction turns out to be true.

I mean this is what Pikiell is. The highest guys he's gotten are Doucoure (150), Mathis (134), Harper (174), and Mulcahy (156). He's not the recruiter that Hill or Rice was. Of course, he's a million times better than them in other areas.

I mean this is what Pikiell is. The highest guys he's gotten are Doucoure (150), Mathis (134), Harper (174), and Mulcahy (156). He's not the recruiter that Hill or Rice was. Of course, he's a million times better than them in other areas.
Badddd take. This is what Pike is recruiting now. Harper Mathis Doucoure Mulcahy Young all 4 stars coming in to take over a complete dumpster fire of a program coming off a scandal and playing horrific bball on the court.

You don't think Pike might be able to land higher rated prospects after we start finally having winning seasons and tournament appearances? And throw in a brand new facility. There is no way this is his recruiting ceiling. This is just the start.

Badddd take. This is what Pike is recruiting now. Harper Mathis Doucoure Mulcahy Young all 4 stars coming in to take over a complete dumpster fire of a program coming off a scandal and playing horrific bball on the court.

You don't think Pike might be able to land higher rated prospects after we start finally having winning seasons and tournament appearances? And throw in a brand new facility. There is no way this is his recruiting ceiling. This is just the start.

I don't think we're disagreeing with each other. I was talking specifically about the 2020 class.

I would be curious though, and probably I'll look this up tomorrow, as to how many schools get at-large tournament bids with zero top 100 recruits on the roster.

I don't think we're disagreeing with each other. I was talking specifically about the 2020 class.

I would be curious though, and probably I'll look this up tomorrow, as to how many schools get at-large tournament bids with zero top 100 recruits on the roster.
Harper was 136. Mathis was 108. Carter was a JOCO so unrated but had many high major offers. His recruiting has been decent if you look at the actual final product.

I have no doubt that Pike, if given the right resources and time, will routinely recruit as well, if not better, than both Hill and Rice. And, equally importantly, he will retain those recruits. He might not have the same level of salesmanship (for now), but his genuine, affable, and approachable personality should more-than-compensate. Plus, he's fiercely competitive, which is a great combination. It's only a matter of time before Pike has us dancing.

Reactions: Scangg

I think I'm saving this post. So if he wins with this rag tag collection of talent in the B1G he will prove himself a heck of a coach.

Harper was 136. Mathis was 108. Carter was a JOCO so unrated but had many high major offers. His recruiting has been decent if you look at the actual final product.

I'm using the 247 composite ranking which (no offense to Rivals) is the industry standard.

Look, I like Pikiell but I'm just trying to be realistic about what he has and hasn't done here. It's not impossible to build a tournament team out of three-star, sub-150 guys. But Pikiell hasn't exactly been Mark Few, or John Beilein, or Chris Beard, or Matt Painter in terms of turning less-heralded guys into stars.

We haven't turned a 300th-ranked guy into Jarrett Culver. Or a 150th-ranked guy into Carsen Edwards. Or a 120th-ranked guy into Mo Wagner. We have guys playing above their recruiting, but not at that sort of level.

And of course there are institutional disadvantages at Rutgers that don't necessarily exist at other schools (although Chris Beard should basically be put into the HOF now for getting Texas freaking Tech to where they are right now).

Pikiell was the right coach to hire three years ago, and he's the right coach to be here now. That doesn't mean we can't discuss weaknesses. Go back and you'll find hundreds of messages on this board from people talking about how excited they were for the 2020 class, and how great it was that Pikiell and the staff had such a head start since they filled the 2019 class early. In the context of those discussions, the 2020 class (in my estimation, but anything can happen) is going to turn out to be a disappointment.

When Carter committed @Mr Magoo posted that Street & Smith’s Annual Basketball yearbook said: ”6’9” Shaq Carter, perhaps the best JC big man in the country”. LINK

Which kinda shocked me for two reasons:

1. I don't watch much JuCo action but if he was perhaps the best JuCo big in the nation, his offer list would have looked very different.

2. I didn't know Street & Smith still existed

Reactions: Eagleton96
Look, I like Pikiell but I'm just trying to be realistic about what he has and hasn't done here. It's not impossible to build a tournament team out of three-star, sub-150 guys. But Pikiell hasn't exactly been Mark Few, or John Beilein, or Chris Beard, or Matt Painter in terms of turning less-heralded guys into stars.

We haven't turned a 300th-ranked guy into Jarrett Culver. Or a 150th-ranked guy into Carsen Edwards. Or a 120th-ranked guy into Mo Wagner. We have guys playing above their recruiting, but not at that sort of level.

And of course there are institutional disadvantages at Rutgers that don't necessarily exist at other schools (although Chris Beard should basically be put into the HOF now for getting Texas freaking Tech to where they are right now).

Pikiell was the right coach to hire three years ago, and he's the right coach to be here now. That doesn't mean we can't discuss weaknesses. Go back and you'll find hundreds of messages on this board from people talking about how excited they were for the 2020 class, and how great it was that Pikiell and the staff had such a head start since they filled the 2019 class early. In the context of those discussions, the 2020 class (in my estimation, but anything can happen) is going to turn out to be a disappointment.

What were your expectations for the recruiting class....??

Rankings for kids change at least 4 to 5 times a year....i think there were some of the same posters who asked, "why are we recruiting Martice Mitchell, he has no major offers".....4 months later he lands in the Top 150.

Then we ask, why is the staff recruiting or offering Farrar from North Carolina, I think Penn State was his only Power 5 offer....less than 2 months later, he had a dozen offers from everyone and committed to NCState.

If a recruit was ranked in the Top 80 last summer after his sophomore season and RU offered that player then, but eventually landed him a year later, would you still want that recruit if he fell out of the Top 150??

Fans can't have it both ways....we recruit a kid in the Top 100, he falls out of the 150 range, then potentially commits and it's "I'm disappointed we aren't landing anyone in the current Top 150......

Then RU recruits a kid that hasn't been ranked in anyone's Top 150, plays at a Top 150 level for parts of his freshman season, but "I'm disappointed we didn't land anyone in the current Top 150".

To repeat...there are 70 to 80 Power 5 programs if you include the Big East, Gonzaga, UConn, Memphis, Cincinnati, Houston and programs like Wichita State etc. There are apparently only 150 recruits worth some posters time.

Every program in the B1G and beyond, builds their program on "3 star recruits", who are not in the Top 150. It's just a fact that every program is doing what RU has finally started to do under Pike.....recruit for the system, recruit for the program and recruit for the caliber of players on and off the court.

There are very few programs that land multiple 4 or 5 star kids, year in and year out. Probably less than 20 to 25 programs nationally get 3 4 or 5 star kids each recruiting cycle.....The remaining 55 to 60 programs still field quality players and lineups as well.

What were your expectations for the recruiting class....??

Rankings for kids change at least 4 to 5 times a year....i think there were some of the same posters who asked, "why are we recruiting Martice Mitchell, he has no major offers".....4 months later he lands in the Top 150.

Then we ask, why is the staff recruiting or offering Farrar from North Carolina, I think Penn State was his only Power 5 offer....less than 2 months later, he had a dozen offers from everyone and committed to NCState.

Focusing on the above part of Hawk's post, all this means is that Pike has a good eye for talent. He is able to identify high-major kids early on the recruiting cycle even if they haven't been recognized/ranked by the recruiting services. But if he doesn't actually LAND these kids, it's not really doing us much good in the end.

That said, I'm not ready to jump off a bridge just yet. There are still two months until early signing period, and then there's the spring (where high-major kids often pop up), and there are still several key targets who are uncommitted.

Reactions: kcg88
Not to be a broken record.....

I don't break a sweat at all if/when Pikiell doesnt land Top 150 players. As I have said we don't want players (sorry to offend Russ) that are Top 150 talents, that arent Top 150 college basketball players.

I could list all the 4 star or top 150 players we have recruited over the years and then post their senior year stats.

I have no idea how are recent recruit with the great hair is going to do. He has the look (figurative, not literal) of a guy I want here.

Once we get to the NCAA tournament more than once and get 7000 to 8000 season ticket holders and get tri state media coverage then we should expect legitimate 4 and 5 star guys up and down the roster.

Reactions: gregkoko
It wasn’t. Was a joke because you got asked that 10 times a week last year.
LOL yeah, that was a popular question. Ironically, yesterday @Richard Schnyderite and I talked for almost 25 minutes yesterday and Mulcahy came up in the conversation. I told him that I really hope Mulcahy meets the expectations of the people in this community.

Reactions: Scangg
LOL yeah, that was a popular question. Ironically, yesterday @Richard Schnyderite and I talked for almost 25 minutes yesterday and Mulcahy came up in the conversation. I told him that I really hope Mulcahy meets the expectations of the people in this community.

Which statement appears more plausible to you....

Paul will eventually be a starting PG in the B1G getting 25+ MPG?

OR

Paul is a guy who gives valuable minutes of the bench backing up any position 1 thru 3?

Reactions: superfan01

I don't break a sweat at all if/when Pikiell doesnt land Top 150 players. As I have said we don't want players (sorry to offend Russ) that are Top 150 talents, that arent Top 150 college basketball players.

I could list all the 4 star or top 150 players we have recruited over the years and then post their senior year stats.

I have no idea how are recent recruit with the great hair is going to do. He has the look (figurative, not literal) of a guy I want here.

Once we get to the NCAA tournament more than once and get 7000 to 8000 season ticket holders and get tri state media coverage then we should expect legitimate 4 and 5 star guys up and down the roster.
I'm not sure what part of what you posted I was supposed to be offended by.

I know you said "up and down the roster" but I think Rutgers needs to land a legit four-star guy to make other recruits, HS and AAU coaches and school donors to really take notice of what is going on and take the positive narrative about the program up a few more notches.

For example, between 2013 and 2017 South Florida didn't win more than 12 games in a season and had three seasons of nine or fewer wins. They are not in a P5 conference that has its own TV Network yet they landed a four-star prospect ranked No. 53 in the 2020 class. It wasn't an in-state kid either.

Which statement appears more plausible to you....

Paul will eventually be a starting PG in the B1G getting 25+ MPG?

OR

Paul is a guy who gives valuable minutes of the bench backing up any position 1 thru 3?
Based on the definition of plausible, I'd say both statements are plausible.

Mulcahy was recruited to play point guard and Coach Pikiell is going to give him every opportunity to do that. So the first statement is most likely to happen and hopefully he is successful.

For example, between 2013 and 2017 South Florida didn't win more than 12 games in a season and had three seasons of nine or fewer wins. They are not in a P5 conference that has its own TV Network yet they landed a four-star prospect ranked No. 53 in the 2020 class. It wasn't an in-state kid either.

Do you have any insight on why he selected USF?

I'd like to double back in 3-4 years and see how is rating compared to his actual play.

As fans we enjoy discussing recruiting and its implications on improving Rutgers mens basketball but nobody knows which recruits will meet or exceed expectations.Its the end result at the end of seasons that matters and that is where Rutgers has yet to show positive results as to a winning season or a NCAA bid.Pikiell has the support of the fan base and the media has been supportive.2019-20 is the season to start the winning which surely would impact recruiting in a positive way.

Agree with this. It's not the presence of 4-star players, but getting the right players overall. There are only 13 available scholarships, so it's not like football where you can play the averages across 20+ scholarships each year (better chance of 4* players being contributors than 3*, etc).

Freshman 4-star commits on Rivals:
Pike (2016-present)
2018 - Harper, Mathis
2017 - Doucoure

Jordan (2013-16)
2015 - Sanders

Rice (2010-13)
2011 - Seagears, Jack

Hill (2006-10)
2009 - Miller
2008 - Rosario, Echenique
2007 - Chandler
2006 - N'Diaye

Waters (2002-06... Rivals doesn't go back to 2001)
2005 - Inman
2003 - Douby

Do you have any insight on why he selected USF?

I'd like to double back in 3-4 years and see how is rating compared to his actual play.
USF did a terrific job recruiting the kid and sealed the deal on the official visit. His visit ended around noon on Sunday and at 6:05 p.m. the kid's dad hmu to say his son committed.

I thought he might be Florida bound but once they got a transfer guard from Cleveland State the Gators stopped recruiting Murphy.

This kid's improvement rate has been phenomenal went from being un-ranked by pretty much everyone to No. 53 by us (I thought his debut would be a little lower like in 65-70 range). His jump shot needs some work, but Murphy really gets into guys on defense and has elite athleticism. I've talked to people who believe that believe he is a reliable jump shot away from being a NBA prospect. I'm not quite ready to go there yet.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT