ADVERTISEMENT

Road opening wins

Plum Street

Hall of Famer
Jun 21, 2009
Since we are opening on the road , what’s some of rutgers best road opening wins?

2006 - unc - I am sure this tops the list for most . rice is awesome and a big goal line stand to beat North Carolina

2001 - schiano starts his head coaching career off with a big win at Buffalo . Seabrooks pick 6

2020 - schiano 2.0 begins with a win at msu with the defense carrying the way

2012 - Kyle flood starts his rutgers career off with a win at Tulane.

2014 - Washington state . Nova connects first play of the game and the late Jonathan Aiken has a big night and is rutgers first ever BIG player of the week ( that’s a good trivia question).

Schiano and Flood collectively have a pretty good track record in season openers on the road (5-2). Both losses were OT heart breakers. Ash got blown out in the one road opener he had.

Since we are opening on the road , what’s some of rutgers best road opening wins?

2006 - unc - I am sure this tops the list for most . rice is awesome and a big goal line stand to beat North Carolina

2001 - schiano starts his head coaching career off with a big win at Buffalo . Seabrooks pick 6

2020 - schiano 2.0 begins with a win at msu with the defense carrying the way

2012 - Kyle flood starts his rutgers career off with a win at Tulane.

2014 - Washington state . Nova connects first play of the game and the late Jonathan Aiken has a big night and is rutgers first ever BIG player of the week ( that’s a good trivia question).
Was at four of those 5 opening road wins. Going to BC. Let’s do it !!
That opening big pass at Seattle in 2014 was great.

The upcoming BC win will move up the list as we finally start showing some offense behind an improved offensive line. Now that the placekicker has been set we may have the best special teams in the conference.

That opening WSU bomb was sick, was watching at Harvest Moon
That win was tremendous and doesn’t get nearly enough credit for what it was at the time. Nobody expected us to win going into it: It was our first season in the BIG and the talking heads expected us to to debut as a big embarrassment. Instead we went out there and found a way to win a game that started Close to midnight EST.

Reactions: Rutgers36
That win was tremendous and doesn’t get nearly enough credit for what it was at the time. Nobody expected us to win going into it: It was our first season in the BIG and the talking heads expected us to to debut as a big embarrassment. Instead we went out there and found a way to win a game that started Close to midnight EST.
WSU fans were talking smack to me in the Parking Garage before the game.
Saying “you came along way to see an arse kicking”. He was right ….we WON

I was bummed during most of that Tulane game. I felt like we should have blown their doors off and we struggled big time.

WSU game was awesome

I was bummed during most of that Tulane game. I felt like we should have blown their doors off and we struggled big time.

WSU game was awesome
It was the first game of the season. Brand new coach. Unspectacular performance, but we won. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall Tulane lost a few key players to season ending injury in that game and went on to have a poor season. The following year they went to a bowl game and were actually pretty decent.

It wasn’t a great showing. But it wasn’t, you know, anything like falling behind 21-0 or 14-0 to NM or Howard at home. And then having those come from behind wins be the highlight of your season. No - it wasn’t that bad.

It was the first game of the season. Brand new coach. Unspectacular performance, but we won. I could be wrong, but I seem to recall Tulane lost a few key players to season ending injury in that game and went on to have a poor season. The following year they went to a bowl game and were actually pretty decent.

It wasn’t a great showing. But it wasn’t, you know, anything like falling behind 21-0 or 14-0 to NM or Howard at home. And then having those come from behind wins be the highlight of your season. No - it wasn’t that bad.
Hahah true , definitely wasn’t that bad.

I just remember it leaving such a bad taste in my mouth and thinking Flood wasn’t going to work.

Of course all this stuff is relative, that 2012 team was loaded with talent

Hahah true , definitely wasn’t that bad.

I just remember it leaving such a bad taste in my mouth and thinking Flood wasn’t going to work.

Of course all this stuff is relative, that 2012 team was loaded with talent
Relative to what? I don’t care what anybody says. Flood left behind a team that lost to the national runner up by one score. Sure, Caroo graduated, but Ash had pretty much everyone else of note back and a more experienced defense. That team had no business going into the locker room down 14-0 to Howard. Or falling behind 21-0 to NM. Or losing 78-0 to anyone, ever.

Reactions: Dpgru
Relative to what? I don’t care what anybody says. Flood left behind a team that lost to the national runner up by one score. Sure, Caroo graduated, but Ash had pretty much everyone else of note back and a more experienced defense. That team had no business going into the locker room down 14-0 to Howard. Or falling behind 21-0 to NM. Or losing 78-0 to anyone, ever.
Flood lost to the national runner up by one score ? Are you joking or I Must have missed that one ??

That MSU team caught a lot of breaks that year and really didn’t belong in the playoff. Which is also why they got boat raced if I’m remembering correctly.

I am in no way defending anything that happened during the Ash Era, that dude was awful.

But flood really did not leave him a good team and I associate the downfall of the program with Flood less than I do with Ash.

Flood carried on much of the Schiano stuff in a very empty way. He’d say chop, but wouldn’t live it.

I guess I view the Ash stuff as eh it’s Ash and he sucked. I view the Flood stuff as “what did you do to our program man?”

Reactions: Plum Street
Before the start of the 21st century:

9-10-1988
Rutgers 17 (#15/#14) Michigan State 13
East Lansing, MI
Spartan Stadium 70,693

9-6-1986 Rutgers 11 Boston College 9
Chestnut Hill, MA Alumni Stadium 30,000

*9-14-1985 ( * a come from "way" behind tie with a suspended Florida team)
Rutgers 28 (#3/suspended ranking) Florida 28
Gainesville, FL Florida Field 71,708

9-5-1981
Rutgers 29 Syracuse 27
Syracuse, NY Carrier Dome 38,715

9-11-1976 (first game of the upcoming undefeated season)
Rutgers 13 Navy 3
Annapolis, MD Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium 17,501

9-30-1961 (first game of the upcoming undefeated season)
Rutgers 16 Princeton 13
Princeton, NJ Palmer Stadium 43,000

9-24-1960
Rutgers 13 Princeton 8
Princeton, NJ Palmer Stadium 30,000

9-26-1959
Rutgers 8 Princeton 6
Princeton, NJ Palmer Stadium 36,000

9-27-1958
Rutgers 28 Princeton 0
Princeton, NJ Palmer Stadium 26,000

From 1915 to 1943 all Rutgers openers were at home.

Flood lost to the national runner up by one score ? Are you joking or I Must have missed that one ??
I mean, his team did. Is that sarcasm? Although Michigan State was overrated, it is factually accurate that we lost to them by 7 points and could have tied it on the last play but for the botched snap.

I mean, his team did. Is that sarcasm? Although Michigan State was overrated, it is factually accurate that we lost to them by 7 points and could have tied it on the last play but for the botched snap.
They were not the national runner-up.
And the last play was one of the most well known plays in rutgers history and appeared on jeopardy . It was not a botched snap

That MSU team caught a lot of breaks that year and really didn’t belong in the playoff. Which is also why they got boat raced if I’m remembering correctly.

I am in no way defending anything that happened during the Ash Era, that dude was awful.

But flood really did not leave him a good team and I associate the downfall of the program with Flood less than I do with Ash.

Flood carried on much of the Schiano stuff in a very empty way. He’d say chop, but wouldn’t live it.

I guess I view the Ash stuff as eh it’s Ash and he sucked. I view the Flood stuff as “what did you do to our program man?”

Flood did a lot of things wrong and got himself fired. That type of thing happens everywhere and if you bring in a halfway decent replacement life just goes on and eventually the scandal stuff fades away and the departing coach (like Flood) is remembered as a mediocre blimp in history. That’s all.

Flood didn’t hand Ash a legendarily bad program that ought to have struggled with FCS games. No matter how much people like to bad mouth the guy it’s simply inaccurate when people imply as much.

Despite all the distractions in 2015 - the team still won 4 games. They also lost by 3 to a good Washington State team (finished 9-4), lost by 7 to Michigan State (national runner up), blew that Maryland game at the end. I mean - we turned it around vs. Howard but we came dang close to losing that NM game. That team didn’t score at all against OSU, Michigan, PSU or Michigan State. We scored 7 points against an Illini team that won 3 games. Ash’ debut was beyond awful and blaming it on his predecessor is a joke - his team was so much worse than what was left behind.

Schiano can blame Ash for where we had to start. When you perform better than what you started with that position is valid.

Last edited:
Flood did a lot of things wrong and got himself fired. That type of thing happens everywhere and if you bring in a halfway decent replacement life just goes on and eventually the scandal stuff fades away and the departing coach (like Flood) is remembered as a mediocre blimp in history. That’s all.

Flood didn’t hand Ash a legendarily bad program that ought to have struggled with FCS games. No matter how much people like to bad mouth the guy it’s simply inaccurate when people imply as much.

Despite all the distractions in 2015 - the team still won 4 games. They also lost by 3 to a good Washington State team (finished 9-4), lost by 7 to Michigan State (national runner up), blew that Maryland game at the end.
Yes. The 2015 was bad breaks away from being good (WSU, MSU and MD all had multiple single plays that, if they had gone differently, RU would have won.... such as the dropped INT on WSU's game winning drive). And injuries (Hamilton) legal issues (defensive backfield, Caroo) and bad breaks (close losses) away from being great by Rutgers standards.

Flood's last team was worlds different from Ash's last team.

Yes. The 2015 was bad breaks away from being good (WSU, MSU and MD all had multiple single plays that, if they had gone differently, RU would have won.... such as the dropped INT on WSU's game winning drive). And injuries (Hamilton) legal issues (defensive backfield, Caroo) and bad breaks (close losses) away from being great by Rutgers standards.

Flood's last team was worlds different from Ash's last team.
Ehh breaks even out . 2014 we won alot of close games in wsu , Michigan , navy , Maryland . All of those came down to the wire

Fair point. Flood’s last two teams - 2014 & 2015 - were middle of the road B1G teams. Leagues above Ash’s worst teams.

Fair point. Flood’s last two teams - 2014 & 2015 - were middle of the road B1G teams. Leagues above Ash’s worst teams.
Middle of the road ? Sometimes memories can be hazy . Those teams went 4-12 over those two seasons
Three of those four wins were a combined 8 points . Michigan (2 points), Maryland 3 points and Indiana (the lone win in 2015, 3 points). And the losses were too lopsided for me to add up

Remember flying into New Orleans after a hurricane for Tulane game.
We were lucky the game was played. Not a good performance from our team.

Ehh breaks even out . 2014 we won alot of close games in wsu , Michigan , navy , Maryland . All of those came down to the wire
No matter how you look at it, the team wasn’t close to as bad as it was the following year when Ash took over when we became indisputably the worst power conference team in the nation. We went from 4 wins (in control the whole time against a team like Kansas) down to 2 wins and we looked really bad in those wins against NM and Howard at home.

Flood produced the same 9-4 result in his 2012 debut as Schiano produced in 2011. While I do believe Schiano might’ve won an extra game or so had he stayed, he had the benefit of an established relationship as the head coach. There was no such benefit with Flood in his final season. His presence alone was a distraction.

No matter how you look at it, the team wasn’t close to as bad as it was the following year when Ash took over when we became indisputably the worst power conference team in the nation. We went from 4 wins (in control the whole time against a team like Kansas) down to 2 wins and we looked really bad in those wins against NM and Howard at home.

Flood produced the same 9-4 result in his 2012 debut as Schiano produced in 2011. While I do believe Schiano might’ve won an extra game or so had he stayed, he had the benefit of an established relationship as the head coach. There was no such benefit with Flood in his final season. His presence alone was a distraction.
You don’t have to tell me how bad ash was . I warned everyone here when he was hired that Ash will get us Smashed.

Despite all the distractions in 2015 - the team still won 4 games. They also lost by 3 to a good Washington State team (finished 9-4), lost by 7 to Michigan State (national runner up), blew that Maryland game at the end. I mean - we turned it around vs. Howard but we came dang close to losing that NM game. That team didn’t score at all against OSU, Michigan, PSU or Michigan State. We scored 7 points against an Illini team that won 3 games. Ash’ debut was beyond awful and blaming it on his predecessor is a joke - his team was so much worse than what was left behind.

Schiano can blame Ash for where we had to start. When you perform better than what you started with that position is valid.
I actually didn’t even care about the scandal lol. I thought it was a complete joke and used as an excuse to fire a clearly failing HC.

The depth and talent level Flood left for Ash was bad. He had a couple of older guys that were talented and that’s it.

Then Ash buried it even further and completely stripped Rutgers of all things Rutgers.

I’m not here to argue Flood vs Ash. They were both really bad Head Coaches and had no business coaching a P5 program.

My only thing was I knew the program was taking a turn for the worst when Flood first took over. It was pretty damn obvious.

“For has she not stood since the time of the Flood, on the banks of the old raritan” plays in my head non stop each football season and I wont interpret it any other way until Schiano gets us back to where we were.

But he interviews real well.
Plum I said the same thing as you … a real bad hire.
I started this thread to have some feel good stories about opening wins and now it’s turned into a bitch fest of who was worse ash or flood. Sad state of fans around here

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT