ADVERTISEMENT

Road opening wins

I was at those games in ‘88, 2001, 2006, & 2014..(also Florida tie in 1985)
While the win in ‘87 was the most impressive (over Rose Bowl champ MSU) & Tie with #1 Florida garnered the most national attention, the most important was the 2006 win at UNC..
That win was followed up by 8 straight wins & a top ten ranking!
MSU & Florida games were followed by upset losses (Vanderbilt & Army)
I remember reading newspaper in flight down to Carolina & writers were only predicting a 6-5 record for 2006..win changed the whole trajectory of the season.
2014 win at WSU was big, in a season where Everything broke right for RU.
Botched punt in that game. Navy receiver landing with foot out of bounds in End Zone for would have been winning TD, blocked FG vs Michigan, etc..

Reactions: Plum Street
While the win in ‘87 was the most impressive (over Rose Bowl champ MSU) & Tie with #1 Florida garnered the most national attention, the most important was the 2006 win at UNC..
I remember reading newspaper in flight down to Carolina & writers were only predicting a 6-5 record for 2006..win changed the whole trajectory of the season.
Botched punt in that game. Navy receiver landing with foot out of bounds in End Zone for would have been winning TD, blocked FG vs Michigan, etc..
Good call on the 2014 season. We didn’t get the breaks against Penn state , but in every other tight game we did

Good call on the 2014 season. We didn’t get the breaks against Penn state , but in every other tight game we did
Breaks
All we needed is Nova to complete a 3rd Down pass to a wide open Tyler Kroft. Game over. Instead it sails 10 feet over his head and out of bounds.

I don’t remember the Navy game that way at all. We were in control and moving the ball with ease until James got hurt. Hardly would say that things “broke right” for us that game with that injury. Also we won by 7 didn’t we? A TD would’ve tied it - not won it unless they went for 2 and converted.

I don’t remember scoring off a botched punt in the WSU game either. What point in the game was that? I remember us turning it over in the red zone and then our defense holding them to a FG (again that wasn’t exactly things breaking right for us there - more like us overcoming things not going our way).

Michigan game - yeah, things broke our way there. Not seeing it for the other ones though.

In the 2014 Washington State game, Rutgers up 4 with 7 min left in 4th, punting from deep in their own territory WSU fumbled the catch at the 50. WSU could have gone ahead with short field there. Navy game, yes, RU in control most of the way, but on Navy pass in final seconds, receiver catches pass just outside end zone, they can tie or win with 2 point conversion. You can also throw Maryland comeback win into the conversation. I was there also. Great win. Not saying RU didn’t deserve to win these games, but all the breaks went their way at the right time. Other years we were not so lucky, in games we really should have won! (most recently RU hoops vs ND comes to mind)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT