ADVERTISEMENT

***Ron Harper Jr Commits to Rutgers***

Ron's teammate at Don Bosco, Marcellus Earlington who is also a forward made first team All State. He is being recruited by RU as a defensive end in football. I read that he was hoping to play both football and basketball in college. I think that Temple has offered him a chance to play both sports. I know that is hard to do but maybe this guy could do this at RU too.

Not only is Pike getting the job done here and now I recall how, when he was hired, he told the story of riding on the Jerset turnpike, passing RU, and thinking how he wanted the job. This guy not only wants to get it turned around here but he wants to stay here and keep it going. Real reasons for excitement on the Banks. Go RU

Ron's teammate at Don Bosco, Marcellus Earlington who is also a forward made first team All State. He is being recruited by RU as a defensive end in football. I read that he was hoping to play both football and basketball in college. I think that Temple has offered him a chance to play both sports. I know that is hard to do but maybe this guy could do this at RU too.

He's only going to play football in college from what I've been told.

That is fine. At least the two friends can both be at RU and helping our athletic teams if he also chooses RU.

Not a big offer list but Pike sees a late bloomer here.

So does Jay Gomes NJ's top h.s. basketball talent analyst:

“I always liked him, more than most (analysts)," Gomes said. "He’s very skilled, but he was never in great shape. But he got in better shape this summer.”

How did Rutgers notice him?

“At a tournament a few weeks ago where (head coach) Steve Pikiell and (assistant coach) Brandin Knight were watching, he was terrific," Gome said. "After that, it made Rutgers jump on board. They liked what they saw.”

Harper fills a need. The Scarlet Knights lack an established wing — someone who can shoot, slash and rebound.

“He’s 6-5, handles the ball well, knows how to play," Gomes said. "He doesn’t force things. He doesn’t take bad shots. He’s a good shooter — a shooter with range.”

http://www.app.com/story/sports/col...on-harper-jr-son-nba-champ-commits/561474001/

The fact that he has been immersed in basketball in many, many ways throughout his life has an interesting added value - we know quite well that his father is five-time NBA champion Ron Harper - but also note that his mother, Maria Harper, was an outstanding high school and Division 1 player at the University of New Orleans.

The fact that he has been immersed in basketball in many, many ways throughout his life has an interesting added value - we know quite well that his father is five-time NBA champion Ron Harper - but also note that his mother, Maria Harper, was an outstanding high school and Division 1 player at the University of New Orleans.
She's still active in Basketball circles .
Founded and created the Ring City basketball program in 2007. Coach Maria’s basketball background comes from having played Division I basketball at the University of New Orleans in the early 90’s as well as coaching at various high schools in Chicago and Northern New Jersey
https://www.ringcitybasketball.com/the-coaches

Reactions: RUMBA-JK
Gotta admit: I'm shocked. Pike's first season didn't seem to be all that phenominal (although nice for RU fans) and it reflected in 2017 class -- some nice players, but no one who was huge.

To see a 2018 class with 2 4*, a 3*, and a up-and-coming under the radar talent (from NJ, no less) with a very notable pedigree...is so much more than I ever hoped for (and I'm an optimistic guy!).

And whether a big man is locked in to 2017 class or not, the future at Rutgers should sway any on-the-fence kid. My congratulations to Pike and his staff on a job more than well done.

Gotta admit: I'm shocked. Pike's first season didn't seem to be all that phenominal (although nice for RU fans) and it reflected in 2017 class -- some nice players, but no one who was huge.

To see a 2018 class with 2 4*, a 3*, and a up-and-coming under the radar talent (from NJ, no less) with a very notable pedigree...is so much more than I ever hoped for (and I'm an optimistic guy!).

And whether a big man is locked in to 2017 class or not, the future at Rutgers should sway any on-the-fence kid. My congratulations to Pike and his staff on a job more than well done.
I agree with you, but I will note that baker will be considered huge when all is said and done

Reactions: shields
Throw the rankings out the window on this one. Ronald is 6'6" with a 7 ft wingspan. He is young for his class. He just turned 17. He can play the 1, 2, 3 or 4. He hasn't stopped growing yet either. I can see him growing to 6-8.

He is a late bloomer, similar to his dad. Ronald led Bosco in scoring against Linden and the Patrick school in the TOC, however he has blown up this past AAU season. He scored 38 vs Hudson Catholic recently while playing against King and Muhammad.

I think Rutgers fans are going to love this kid. He is very coachable and has great character.

I would agree with this but as to his character it's not something I'm familiar with .

I saw Harper in the states and I like his game-----not a guy who plays right away but IMO he becomes a solid part of the rotation in Year 2 or 3 .

Was away for a week and good to see the victories on the recruiting trail.

Throw the rankings out the window on this one. Ronald is 6'6" with a 7 ft wingspan. He is young for his class. He just turned 17. He can play the 1, 2, 3 or 4. He hasn't stopped growing yet either. I can see him growing to 6-8.

He is a late bloomer, similar to his dad. Ronald led Bosco in scoring against Linden and the Patrick school in the TOC, however he has blown up this past AAU season. He scored 38 vs Hudson Catholic recently while playing against King and Muhammad.

I think Rutgers fans are going to love this kid. He is very coachable and has great character.
Nice player with good upside. Looking forward to watching him. Can't play the point in the Big 10.

I would love a 6'8" year wing/forward with a 1s court vision, passing, shooting, dribbling skills. Makes the ball move quickly and to the right spots on O.

He will get time this yr at the 1 this yr. He needs to get in better shape which I'm sure won't be an issue once he gets to RU. He already is very strong. I really like his potential. Many of the big boys came looking this summer at him, so I think Rutgers got him at the right time. I can see him as a possible RS just because he is on the younger side. During that yr he can get into better shape, and continue to work in his game.

You cannot teach his court awareness, and his length. I think his exact wingspan is 7'1", That's insane for a 6'6" player. His pedigree is off the charts, both his parents were div 1 players, and his dad is a 5 time world champion. Keep in mind, this is the exact same type of player his dad was. He went to Miami (OH) a little under the radar and left as a lottery pick.

ADVERTISEMENT