ADVERTISEMENT

Rothstein Tweet on Harper

I am not arguing who is going to be the better player this year. Simply pointing out that in just about EVERY statistical category last season, both out of conference and most importantly in conference play when the competition got MUCH tougher, Mathis put up "bigger" numbers than Harper.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/scarletknights.com/documents/2018/11/9/MBBSeasonStats.pdf

https://scarletknights.com/documents/2019/1/15/b1gonlystats.pdf

Harper was by far the more efficient player though.

I am not arguing who is going to be the better player this year. Simply pointing out that in just about EVERY statistical category last season, both out of conference and most importantly in conference play when the competition got MUCH tougher, Mathis put up "bigger" numbers than Harper.

Now adjust for minutes played, and the story changes.

On a per 40 min basis:
Mathis: 14.8 pts (.376 FG, .239 3P, .556 FT), 5.1 rbs, 1.9 ast, 1.2 stl, 0.3 blk, 2.3 tov, 3.2 pf, 0.85 a/to
Harper: 14.0 pts (.413 FG, .278 3P, .679 FT), 5.6 rb, 2.0 ast, 1.0 stl, 0.9 blk, 1.6 tov, 4.3 pf, 1.30 a/to

Per 40 min in conference:
Mathis: 15.4 pts (.394 FG, .265 3P, .549 FT), 5.3 rbs, 1.81 ast, 0.8 stl, 0.5 blk, 2.2 tov, 2.6 pf, 0.83 a/to
Harper: 15.0 pts (.440 FG, .343 3P, .744 FT), 5.6 rbs, 1.78 ast, 1.1 stl, 0.8 blk, 1.1 tov, 3.7 pf, 1.62 a/to

Both had solid freshman campaigns, and I'm excited to see what they do as sophomores - but saying that Mathis was ahead in "EVERY" statistical category isn't really accurate.

Reactions: Scangg
Now adjust for minutes played, and the story changes.

On a per 40 min basis:
Mathis: 14.8 pts (.376 FG, .239 3P, .556 FT), 5.1 rbs, 1.9 ast, 1.2 stl, 0.3 blk, 2.3 tov, 3.2 pf
Harper: 14.0 pts (.413 FG, .278 3P, .679 FT), 5.6 rb, 2.0 ast, 1.0 stl, 0.9 blk, 1.6 tov, 4.3 pf

Per 40 min in conference:
Mathis: 15.4 pts (.394 FG, .265 3P, .549 FT), 5.3 rbs, 1.8 ast, 0.8 stl, 0.5 blk, 2.2 tov, 2.6 pf
Harper: 15.0 pts (.440 FG, .343 3P, .744 FT), 5.6 rbs, 1.8 ast, 1.1 stl, 0.8 blk, 1.1 tov, 3.7 pf

Both had solid freshman campaigns, and I'm excited to see what they do as sophomores - but saying that Mathis was ahead in "EVERY" statistical category isn't really accurate.

The fact Coach P played Mathis more minutes than Harper last season tells me more than per minutes stats. I am going to assume Coach P played one more than the other because he thought that was best for our team. Call me crazy.

The fact Coach P played Mathis more minutes than Harper last season tells me more than per minutes stats. I am going to assume Coach P played one more than the other because he thought that was best for our team. Call me crazy.

They play different positions, and we were shorter at the 2 than we were at the 3 last year - plus Harper's higher number of fouls contributed to fewer minutes at the end of the first half. They both had good seasons - one was not head and shoulders above the other.

Both need to improve quite a bit and most likely will. I hesitate calling Mathis season successful. Given the position he plays his offensive numbers are unacceptable.

We were 140ish in offensive efficiency. Need to get in to the 40 range to get where we ultimately want to be. You look at guys in the rotation and there isn’t a player whose raw numbers are where they should be on a 40th ranked offense.

Both need to improve quite a bit and most likely will. I hesitate calling Mathis season successful. Given the position he plays his offensive numbers are unacceptable.

We were 140ish in offensive efficiency. Need to get in to the 40 range to get where we ultimately want to be. You look at guys in the rotation and there isn’t a player whose raw numbers are where they should be on a 40th ranked offense.
Stats can be used to support a point of view.I am a bottom line type stat observer where the stat that matters most is the won/loss record and how that stat changes year to year .In Rutgers case consecutive losing seasons and no NCAA bid for decades are stats that fans want to ignore but can't be because of its impact on perception and recruiting.A winning season is a absolute must for 2019-20.

Why is a winning season a must?

If we have a losing season with this non-conference then there's a serious problem. We should be 9-2 at worst heading into B1G play, so a losing season would mean 6-14 or worse in conference.

If we have a losing season with this non-conference then there's a serious problem. We should be 9-2 at worst heading into B1G play, so a losing season would mean 6-14 or worse in conference.

The program is in very good shape. I love the progress we are making. I am not expecting a .500 record. We wont have a serious problem.

The program is in very good shape. I love the progress we are making. I am not expecting a .500 record. We wont have a serious problem.

If we don't have at least a .500 record then that is a problem. Our out of conference schedule stinks and with our talent we should AT LEAST be .500 overall or maybe we should just throw in the towel.

We can't keep saying "wait until next year and the year after" ALL the time. The time is NOW to start showing that we have made significant progress and if we can't at least have a winning record then that will be a big downer.

Best of Luck,
Groz

9-2
6-14
1-1
16-17

Mulcahy has a decent season. Sophomores are all better. We have a few good newcomers in the fold. We lose some close games and have a few upsets. Maybe have an injury or 2.

Progress is being made and things would look bright.

No one here can rattle off Pitt's starters, 2019 recruits or tell us where the bulk of the B1G stands today. We kinda know about Seton Hall because we play them every year, but even St Bonaventure is a mystery.

Pitt views RU as a win on their board and based on their recruiting and playing in the ACC....RU fans here are somehow disillusioned into thinking Pitt is the 0-18 team of 2 seasons ago. Someone's fan base is going to be disappointed with that result.

The people referring the the schedule are basing numbers off of last year, which is dangerous and typically inaccurate. it took kenpom all the way through the last game of the season to adjust their ratings of where RU was vs Miami....the same Miami team that was almost a 10 point favorite that RU beat on the road last year. The fact is, no one knew Miami would struggle that bad and I kinda doubt that Pitt will be an NIT caliber team, but I don't know if they'll finish last in the ACC either.

I am not looking at "progress" defined by wins and losses, as much as are the wins comfortable, or do we squeak by.....?? Are the losses really not competitive like at times the last 2 years or are they closer, with some games easily could have been wins, like 80% of these games in most Power 5 leagues go, home and away??

if you win games, the fans will say it's because the schedule was soft.....if we make progress in the B1G, somehow that will be equated to the league being down, instead of RU improving or catching up....Everyone has a theory to fit whatever their agenda or narrative is, to explain things.

31 to 32 games is a process and will show a lot more that we realize.There are still people claiming Michigan will fall off a cliff because they went from having John Beilien and 8 Top 150 recruits to Juwan Howard and only 5 or 6 Top 150 players on their roster....so instead of finishing 1st, 2nd or 3rd like recent years, certain media members somehow have them 9th or 10th....There's a lot of bad or uninformed people who aren't aware or too lazy to actually look at the rosters, recruits and figure things out.

RU is right in the mix to make steps forward, but it takes really informed reading and follow up on 13 other programs in the B1G, to know where RU will or won't likely finish. All I know is, that I'm confident on where this season lands based on what I've seen and that has nothing to do with who or what our schedule looks like.

Disagree. Big-picture-wise, in Year 4, taking a step BACK in our record will be viewed by recruits as Rutgers still not making progress and still being a bottom feeder -- no matter how much we as diehard fans understand (correctly) that Pike has made significant progress.

At some point, a new coaching staff needs to show progress in the W-L record, and if we end up 6-14 B1G (9-2 OOC) for a 15-16 overall record before the B1G tourney in Year 4, that's just going to look like more of the same from Rutgers, and it will appear that Pike has, um, peaked. Not enough to move the needle in recruiting and give us a chance to land all of these top 150 players that Pike is recruiting for 2020-2022.

It is absolutely CRITICAL that we have a winning record this year, if not make the NIT. I would like to see 9-2 OOC and no worse than 9-11 in the B1G, for an overall record before the B1G tourney of 18-13. Do I "expect" this? Well, no, I don't expect it. But I think it's a realistic possibility.

If we don't have at least a .500 record then that is a problem. Our out of conference schedule stinks and with our talent we should AT LEAST be .500 overall or maybe we should just throw in the towel.

We can't keep saying "wait until next year and the year after" ALL the time. The time is NOW to start showing that we have made significant progress and if we can't at least have a winning record then that will be a big downer.

Best of Luck,
Groz
Spot on comments.Perception matters and the kicking the can down the road comments has got to stop.No more excuses .Its time to show that Rutgers has relevance in college basketball.

Why is a winning season a must?

#BadTakeFIG

If we don't finish above .500 this season will have been a failure plain and simple. You have the absolute lowest expectations for some reason. Stop hyper focusing on EO leaving and thinking it's the end of the world

Reactions: wheezer
We all, me included, seem happy with the progress of the program. Last year there was definitely progress. Last year preseason we had the same anything under .500 is a disaster.

Reactions: RutgHoops
We all, me included, seem happy with the progress of the program. Last year there was definitely progress. Last year preseason we had the same anything under .500 is a disaster.
No, most people were picking us to finish under .500 in the 12-14 win range. Over .500 was the goal last year. This year's team is better. The goal is higher. .500 is pretty much a given this season with how week the OOC schedule is we can win less B1G games and still hit .500

I wish I had the confidence you have. With the exception of a select few I am one of the biggest RU hoops fans you will find. With that being said I’d be shocked if we matched our B1G win total from last year.

At some point we have to get over .500 as too many teams are laughing at us. We need to win more than we lose to feel a little better for us going forward. I think we should at least win 7 league games again. We won 7 last year and I believe we are improved. I also feel we should do no worse than 9-2 in the OOC. We should win 8 and at least 1 of the 3 and maybe more between Seton Hall, St. Bonaventure and Pitt. I don't think that is asking too much. We just need to focus on every game no matter who the opponent is.

Greene

I hear where you are coming from

I think you might think about expectations in regard to the growth of the team last year

We were a 14-17 team last year...and my sense is that we were 12-19 team last year in the first half of last year and a 16-15 team in the second half of the year. Our competitiveness even in loss went way up in the second half of last season...we were diaappointed that in any loss.

I really think the baseline start off is where we ended last year ...and a losing record this year would mean either a lot of injuries ...or a major major regression

This team is the deepest team we have had in a looong time. And we have a lot of answers

I really see the base line for this year as 16-15/17-14....and think we have a very good chance of exceeding that...and a solid chance of exceeding that by a lot. These kids are growing up fast ....and the team oozes chemistry ...

I’m sticking with my reach prediction for the season ...

11 seed

we win the first four ncaa game ...

We upend a 6 Seed in round one

And we lose a heart breaker to a 3 seed...denying us a shot at the Sweet 16

No one here can rattle off Pitt's starters, 2019 recruits or tell us where the bulk of the B1G stands today. We kinda know about Seton Hall because we play them every year, but even St Bonaventure is a mystery.

Pitt views RU as a win on their board and based on their recruiting and playing in the ACC....RU fans here are somehow disillusioned into thinking Pitt is the 0-18 team of 2 seasons ago. Someone's fan base is going to be disappointed with that result.

The people referring the the schedule are basing numbers off of last year, which is dangerous and typically inaccurate. it took kenpom all the way through the last game of the season to adjust their ratings of where RU was vs Miami....the same Miami team that was almost a 10 point favorite that RU beat on the road last year. The fact is, no one knew Miami would struggle that bad and I kinda doubt that Pitt will be an NIT caliber team, but I don't know if they'll finish last in the ACC either.

I am not looking at "progress" defined by wins and losses, as much as are the wins comfortable, or do we squeak by.....?? Are the losses really not competitive like at times the last 2 years or are they closer, with some games easily could have been wins, like 80% of these games in most Power 5 leagues go, home and away??

if you win games, the fans will say it's because the schedule was soft.....if we make progress in the B1G, somehow that will be equated to the league being down, instead of RU improving or catching up....Everyone has a theory to fit whatever their agenda or narrative is, to explain things.

31 to 32 games is a process and will show a lot more that we realize.There are still people claiming Michigan will fall off a cliff because they went from having John Beilien and 8 Top 150 recruits to Juwan Howard and only 5 or 6 Top 150 players on their roster....so instead of finishing 1st, 2nd or 3rd like recent years, certain media members somehow have them 9th or 10th....There's a lot of bad or uninformed people who aren't aware or too lazy to actually look at the rosters, recruits and figure things out.

RU is right in the mix to make steps forward, but it takes really informed reading and follow up on 13 other programs in the B1G, to know where RU will or won't likely finish. All I know is, that I'm confident on where this season lands based on what I've seen and that has nothing to do with who or what our schedule looks like.
Michigan will take a huge step back with Howard. Whens the last time a pro coach coming to college worked out? Now pair that with letting go of a legend

Greene

I hear where you are coming from

I think you might think about expectations in regard to the growth of the team last year

We were a 14-17 team last year...and my sense is that we were 12-19 team last year in the first half of last year and a 16-15 team in the second half of the year. Our competitiveness even in loss went way up in the second half of last season...we were diaappointed that in any loss.

I really think the baseline start off is where we ended last year ...and a losing record this year would mean either a lot of injuries ...or a major major regression

This team is the deepest team we have had in a looong time. And we have a lot of answers

I really see the base line for this year as 16-15/17-14....and think we have a very good chance of exceeding that...and a solid chance of exceeding that by a lot. These kids are growing up fast ....and the team oozes chemistry ...

I’m sticking with my reach prediction for the season ...

11 seed

we win the first four ncaa game ...

We upend a 6 Seed in round one

And we lose a heart breaker to a 3 seed...denying us a shot at the Sweet 16

Wish I could like this post a thousand times

Just looking at some of the back and forth in this thread is mind numbing. We have the deepest, most skilled and talented team in a long time, will probably have the best shooting team in a decade. Instead I read this ridiculous discussion about Mathis and his value and then a further ridiculous comparison with his teammates. We should be thrilled to have them all as they are are all getting better . Yes we will miss Eugene for his toughness , the mentality it requires to take as many charges as he did, and his offensive output. But Jacob Young , Yeboah and Paul will be valuable additions to offset that loss. We will likely be the most unselfish team we have had, and higher assist totals are usual a sign of a very good team. Greene is always concerned about the defensive end, but Pike will play the guys that play both ways , offense and defense. A player playing just offense, will not see many minutes for our coach. We have the athletes to play good defense, along with the size and length as we hopefully will lead the country in deflections .

But as we are all sitting here today, looking forward to the best year on the court in ages, you must as a Rutgers fan be incredibly optimistic and not blindly optimistic. We should be at or close to 500 in league and should win most of our non conference games. Unlike prior years, there is not one team in the Big 10 that I say is an automatic loss this coming year. We started winning road games last year and we have to lock down the RAC this year with very few stumbles. This is a special season brewing as we have the pieces and the coach to put it all together with the growth of our young roster from last year.

This is a good thread but I think it lacks some context or an overview of what usually happens elsewhere in your league, is a good or safe indicator or what you can expect here at RU.....that means in context of expectations.

Let's rewind just 1 year ago and use Nebraska, Indiana, Northwestern and Penn State as 4 separate examples. All 4 had preseason expectations that had them in NCAA contention in their future. We saw injuries take away 2 starters from Indiana for most of the season and another starter from Nebraska....we also saw a veteran team like Northwestern lose games with Derek Pardon, Vic Law and a 20PPG grad transfer with 2 Top 100 freshman arriving.

On the other hand, Ohio State, Iowa and Minnesota were supposed to be down and all 3 had their underclassmen step forward and had their upperclassmen maintain a level of consistency.

The assumptions around the rest of B1G is based on a lack of information, just as much as other fans around the B1G, thinking RU is a pushover again.

The only safe item is the B1G most years sends 6 to 7 teams to the NCAAS and in some cases like last year, could have exceeded 8, if Indiana didn't have so many injuries.

In my opinion, for RU to move up in the standings of reality and public opinion, it has to start with game attendance and student attendance at the RAC.....while the talent difference gets smaller between RU and opponents, the X-Factor is how difficult can the RAC become as a home court for opponents.

That means that fans can't get upset if they lose a game they're not supposed to and not show up the next home game and that means we cant start printing NCAA tickets if we spring an upset at the RAC in the B1G.

Our success is obviously a function of how we play, but sometimes as important is who we play and when we play them. Playing 0-10 PSU with Stevens missing everything is a lot different than playing 7-3 PSU. We can be 6-14 this year and be much better than last year.

Not many people are saying the B1G is going to have a good year. I think there is a very good chance people are going to be wrong. Freshman are becoming more and more important. Until games start there are a lot of pieces we know nothing about.

the X-Factor is how difficult can the RAC become as a home court for opponents.

Or if we play 4 close games that go down to the wire and literally our season hinges on 7-13 and 11-9 on 4 possessions where we need a basket to win or a stop to seal the victory.

We had 1 luck one go against us last year.

Our success is obviously a function of how we play, but sometimes as important is who we play and when we play them. Playing 0-10 PSU with Stevens missing everything is a lot different than playing 7-3 PSU. We can be 6-14 this year and be much better than last year.

Not many people are saying the B1G is going to have a good year. I think there is a very good chance people are going to be wrong. Freshman are becoming more and more important. Until games start there are a lot of pieces we know nothing about.
This is such a good point FIG! WHEN you play a team is soooo important and not something you can predict preseason. Some teams start hot and fade. Others take time to gel and come on strong in the end. Some teams hit rough patches at different points or have an injury where they look much worse than they did a week or two earlier. Hopefully some of this luck breaks our way this season and we catch some teams at optimal times.

Illinois was another team like that last season. Play them at one point in the season it may have been one of the easiest games and at a later point one of the hardest

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT