ADVERTISEMENT

RU 25 of Top 50 public colleges

UDel ahead of RU and PSU? Bullshit...all 3 are good schools, but no way is UDel ahead of RU and PSU. And UConn as Top 20 is a fairy tale as well.

This ranking clearly leans heavily on % admitted. That's also why Binghamton and Maryland are so high. They get a ton of applicants

We are ahead of Ped so it's agreeable ranking in my view. But we do need to up the ante of OOS admissions to get even higher.

Binghanton, I believe, is a very fine school --perhaps the jewel of the SUNY campuses. It was once known as Harpur College before it became part of SUNY, and it had an excellent faculty. It doesn't surprise me that it gets a lot of applications despite its location.

p.s. "prepscholar" claims that Binghamton's average SAT is 1350 and ours is 1290, both on the 1600 scale.

Last edited:
Binghanton, I believe, is a very fine school --perhaps the jewel of the SUNY campuses. It was once known as Harpur College before it became part of SUNY, and it had an excellent faculty. It doesn't surprise me that it gets a lot of applications despite its location.

p.s. "prepscholar" claims that Binghamton's average SAT is 1350 and ours is 1290, both on the 1600 scale.

1290 is definitely up from where we were in the low 1200s, so that is good.

But your point about Binghamton is correct, it's a really good value and good school.

What RU has to do is figure out how to get the downstate NY kids who can afford the OOS tuition to start applying.

Binghanton, I believe, is a very fine school --perhaps the jewel of the SUNY campuses.

My father's family is from the area and I have several cousins that graduated from there. They definitely see themselves as at least marginally better than the other University Center SUNY campuses, Albany, Stony Brook and Buffalo. They are shooting for better.

Significant part of the student body is recruited from Metro NYC. Taking advantage of large population of well prepared secondary students that are relatively affluent (compared to the local Southern Tiers kids). Far enough to be away, close enough to get home frequently if the kids wants that.

What Rutgers needs to do going forward is to admit only 40% or less to the New Brunswick campus and those rejected can go to Newark, Camden, the other state schools in NJ or out of state. At 58% acceptance rate overall, that is way too high for the state flagship university of NJ. Yes, we have schools like Mason Gross (21% overall and acting majors about 10% admit rate and Pharmacy (8%), which are some of the best programs in the country, but the overall admittance rate for Rutgers-New Brunswick should try to mirror Michigan (29%) UNC-Chapel Hill (26%), and UVA (29%).

The first step, would be to get it at least where U of Wisconsin is (47%) or UC Davis (40%).

Reactions: bigmatt718
What Rutgers needs to do going forward is to admit only 40% or less to the New Brunswick campus and those rejected can go to Newark, Camden, the other state schools in NJ or out of state. At 58% acceptance rate overall, that is way too high for the state flagship university of NJ. Yes, we have schools like Mason Gross (21% overall and acting majors about 10% admit rate and Pharmacy (8%), which are some of the best programs in the country, but the overall admittance rate for Rutgers-New Brunswick should try to mirror Michigan (29%) UNC-Chapel Hill (26%), and UVA (29%).

The first step, would be to get it at least where U of Wisconsin is (47%) or UC Davis (40%).
RU needs to establish an incentive program similar to the PSU Satellite campus model. Whereas any student from RU-Camden or RU-Newark with a 3.0 GPA or higher after their 2nd year, is allowed to automatically be admitted to RU-NB for their final 2 years of undergrad. That way if any student doesn't get into RU-NB straight out of HS, they can work towards it at the 2 RU satellite schools in Newark or Camden and get into RU-NB for Junior and Senior years.

RU needs to establish an incentive program similar to the PSU Satellite campus model. Whereas any student from RU-Camden or RU-Newark with a 3.0 GPA or higher after their 2nd year, is allowed to automatically be admitted to RU-NB for their final 2 years of undergrad. That way if any student doesn't get into RU-NB straight out of HS, they can work towards it at the 2 RU satellite schools in Newark or Camden and get into RU-NB for Junior and Senior years.
Matt, I don't mind your idea at all. But as the flagship university, Rutgers-New Brunswick should be the most selective opportunity, and if what you're stating can work in the equation, I'm all for it.

Reactions: bigmatt718
Matt, I don't mind your idea at all. But as the flagship university, Rutgers-New Brunswick should be the most selective opportunity, and if what you're stating can work in the equation, I'm all for it.
I'm curious to know what percentage of PSU Satellite students who do acquire a 3.0 GPA in their first 2 years actually do transfer to the PSU Main Campus to complete their BA work. That might provide some insight as to how the numbers would come out here. Keep in mind that PSU has over 20 satellite campuses in PA...whereas RU only has 2 in NJ.

I'm curious to know what percentage of PSU Satellite students who do acquire a 3.0 GPA in their first 2 years actually do transfer to the PSU Main Campus to complete their BA work. That might provide some insight as to how the numbers would come out here. Keep in mind that PSU has over 20 satellite campuses in PA...whereas RU only has 2 in NJ.
That would be interesting. Because I live in California, I can tell you that the most selective UC schools (Berkeley and UCLA) usually accept transfers who have over a 3.6 GPA. Now that's whether they come from the community colleges or the Cal State system as well as other private schools.

That would be interesting. Because I live in California, I can tell you that the most selective UC schools (Berkeley and UCLA) usually accept transfers who have over a 3.6 GPA. Now that's whether they come from the community colleges or the Cal State system as well as other private schools.
I think the school would have to come up with a mathematical formula to determine the level of exclusiveness and therefore the correct GPA needed to transfer into RU-NB from RU-Camden and RU-Newark, whether that is a 3.0 GPA or higher after Sophomore Year. I always said if RU-NB ever reached its full potential, that the school it should emulate the most would be UCLA. I think RU-NB at its full potential would become the UCLA of the East Coast.

I think the school would have to come up with a mathematical formula to determine the level of exclusiveness and therefore the correct GPA needed to transfer into RU-NB from RU-Camden and RU-Newark, whether that is a 3.0 GPA or higher after Sophomore Year. I always said if RU-NB ever reached its full potential, that the school it should emulate the most would be UCLA. I think RU-NB at its full potential would become the UCLA of the East Coast.

Curious why you would choose UCLA as the benchmark rather than UC Berkeley? I think UMich might be more apt as a benchmark as there are more similar parallels, though one of the major differences historically has been near-private school prices and outsized OOS population. Based on current state of affairs, I think Rutgers-NB resembles UIUC (perhaps not quite as well-regarded, but also taken for granted by many of its locals). UIUC's application acceptance rates are on the higher end of the spectrum as well (even higher than RU-NB). Both have a mission to serve their respective state populations and do so more than some other publics.

Curious why you would choose UCLA as the benchmark rather than UC Berkeley? I think UMich might be more apt as a benchmark as there are more similar parallels, though one of the major differences historically has been near-private school prices and outsized OOS population. Based on current state of affairs, I think Rutgers-NB resembles UIUC (perhaps not quite as well-regarded, but also taken for granted by many of its locals). UIUC's application acceptance rates are on the higher end of the spectrum as well (even higher than RU-NB). Both have a mission to serve their respective state populations and do so more than some other publics.
While I'd love to be compared to UC-Berkeley, I feel that RU is more in line with UCLA in terms of geographic setting, RU is in a suburban region of NYC, while UCLA is in Westwood which is in the San Fernando Valley I believe, a suburban region of LA. Just a matter of which school I'd like to see us emulate more, and UCLA is more well rounded as far as both academics and athletics. UC-Berkeley doesn't quite have the all around background even though they are a step above UCLA academically.

While I'd love to be compared to UC-Berkeley, I feel that RU is more in line with UCLA in terms of geographic setting, RU is in a suburban region of NYC, while UCLA is in Westwood which is in the San Fernando Valley I believe, a suburban region of LA. Just a matter of which school I'd like to see us emulate more, and UCLA is more well rounded as far as both academics and athletics. UC-Berkeley doesn't quite have the all around background even though they are a step above UCLA academically.

Westwood is actually not in SF Valley, it's kind of sandwiched between Santa Monica and Beverly Hills, and part of the LA basin. The Valley is primarily to the north of that, on the other side of the mountains. The City of Berkeley and the hills around it are part of a suburban region of the SF Bay Area (or SF/Oakland) and the urban/downtown areas of Berkeley more resemble the urban setting of the City of New Brunswick, than any part of New Brunswick/Piscataway does compared to Westwood, which is actually part of the sprawling city of LA.

Don't disagree on the athletic side, though Cal holds it own and would be above Rutgers in overall sports prominence. Can't go wrong with either on the academic side, again both well above Rutgers by most metrics.

bigmatt, since it appears that part of your rationale for a school which Rutgers-NB might wish to aspire to and perhaps shares some similarities with was based on geography of the region, I thought about a post I had made on this board previously as it breaks out a handful of universities. So I dug up that post (quoted below) from about 3 years ago and it isn't necessarily limited to schools which Rutgers would be benchmarking against or aspiring to but may include a few that might serve as such examples. In that case, geography of the region was too broad so I dissected a little more closely into what I felt was a better defined geographic context for each of these flagship-type public school campuses. Anyway, thought you may find interest in it and feel free to share any thoughts you might have on my take of things.

Taking a stab at categorizing public universities by what I think might be best identified as geographic context. After going through this quick exercise, kind of makes me wonder if there's too many groupings. Perhaps Groups A & B are similar enough to be more generally grouped together as well as Groups D & E. Additionally, if the size of the urban center is not necessarily important to differentiate in how the area surrounding the university campus is developed, then Group C could be blended into Group D and/or E.

Group A - small cities within large metros/MSAs
NB (NYC) - Rutgers
Ann Arbor (Detroit) - UMichigan
Berkeley (SF) - Cal
maybe....Chapel Hill (Raleigh) - UNC

Group B - small cities more immediately adjacent to large cities
College Park (DC) - UMaryland
Tempe (Phoenix) - ASU
La Jolla (SD) - USCD

Group C - med/large cities with self-contained metro
Austin - UTexas
Columbus - OSU
Madison - UWisc
Raleigh - NCSU

Group D - large cities; university campus with more urban character
Minneapolis - UMinn
Atlanta - GT
Pittsburgh - UPitt

Group E - large cities; university campus located within more suburban environs
Seattle (UWash) *
Los Angeles (UCLA)

* not sufficiently familiar with the neighborhood in Seattle where UWash is located to confirm if this is correct grouping or perhaps more similar to Group D

Last edited:
This is pretty lame and a disgrace considering where RU was when I graduated.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT