ADVERTISEMENT

RU baseball is now 5-1.

knights1212

Heisman Winner
Sep 9, 2003
I am glad that RU swept Winthrop and took the first 2 against Old Dominion to get to 5-1 for a very good start. However I am a bit concerned over these last two games as on Saturday in the second game we led 6-0 over Old Dominion going into the bottom of the fifth. Our pitcher had a no hitter for four innings but gave up 6 hits in the fifth plus a walk and it seemed he had lost it. Old Dominion kept hitting him and before I knew it the game was tied 6-6. I think the pitcher might have been left in too long as it seemed that like 7 straight guys reached base. Maybe our coach was trying to get him through the fifth to give him a chance for the win or maybe he just still had faith in him or he wasn't sure about the bullpen. Luckily Thompson hit a home run and our bullpen closed out the last three and a third innings and we won 7-6. However Sunday we led 5-0 going into the bottom of the fourth and a similar thing happened. In the bottom of the fourth our starting pitcher again collapsed and gave up 6 runs in the bottom of the fourth. We fell behind 6-5 and lost the game 9-5. I am happy about the record but I am a little concerned that in two consecutive games our second and third starters both fell apart in the 5th and 4th innings. If we score 5 or 6 runs early we should not give away so many runs in one inning. I know this can happen but two games in a row makes me a bit concerned that our starters couldn't get us through 5 innings before going to the bullpen. I really hope this year we can have an outstanding season and make the NCAA.

Owens needs to get the starters out quicker if they're in legit trouble. I know he doesn't want to tax the bullpen too much this early in the season but the first 2 weekend series now both Saturday and Sunday starters have been getting shelled the 2nd time facing the lineups. That said I'm more concerned about the fact that both Saturday/Sunday games we're starting fast offensively and then not doing much of anything at the plate. Need to keep their foot on the gas offensively and step on throats.

Owens did a preseason interview with Aaron Breitman the week before the season started, and he said he's hoping to stretch out the starters to 6 or 7 innings to reduce the burden on the bullpen.

This may be what is motivating him leaving in Sinibaldi on Saturday and sticking with Zack K as he imploded both weekends.

Owens may have to consider moving Jake Marshall into the Sunday starter role if Zack K continues to implode the second time around the lineups, and move Zack K to midweek starter. Marshall has been lights out in relief the first two weekends (4 scoreless innings against Winthrop, and 3 innings giving up 1 run against ODU).

We're 5-1...ON THE ROAD....relax. Should we have swept this series? Sure, but being "concerned" already? Relax my friend. This team can hit the ball. Well. It's gonna be a fun season. Easy formula:

- WIN Friday, then
- WIN every series you should win; sweeping some
- NEVER get swept
- WIN every midweek

...follow this formula and we should be in GREAT shape for a post-season bid IMHO. Easy? No. "Concerned" after 6 games at 5-1, for ANY reason? Nope.

I am glad that RU swept Winthrop and took the first 2 against Old Dominion to get to 5-1 for a very good start. However I am a bit concerned over these last two games as on Saturday in the second game we led 6-0 over Old Dominion going into the bottom of the fifth. Our pitcher had a no hitter for four innings but gave up 6 hits in the fifth plus a walk and it seemed he had lost it. Old Dominion kept hitting him and before I knew it the game was tied 6-6. I think the pitcher might have been left in too long as it seemed that like 7 straight guys reached base. Maybe our coach was trying to get him through the fifth to give him a chance for the win or maybe he just still had faith in him or he wasn't sure about the bullpen. Luckily Thompson hit a home run and our bullpen closed out the last three and a third innings and we won 7-6. However Sunday we led 5-0 going into the bottom of the fourth and a similar thing happened. In the bottom of the fourth our starting pitcher again collapsed and gave up 6 runs in the bottom of the fourth. We fell behind 6-5 and lost the game 9-5. I am happy about the record but I am a little concerned that in two consecutive games our second and third starters both fell apart in the 5th and 4th innings. If we score 5 or 6 runs early we should not give away so many runs in one inning. I know this can happen but two games in a row makes me a bit concerned that our starters couldn't get us through 5 innings before going to the bullpen. I really hope this year we can have an outstanding season and make the NCAA.
Explain to me what was lucky about Johnson’s home run.

Team is now 6-1 and off to (almost) exactly the kind of start they needed. 15-9 victory today over St Joe's now on to College of Charleston for a - hopefully - 3-game sweep!!

Reactions: RUDave_01
Great to win … would like to see less runs given up … quite a few last 3 games.

Win is still a win and offense has been scoring a lot of runs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT