ADVERTISEMENT

RU Baseball Weekend Series vs Purdue: Today noon, Sat 1pm, Sun 11am :

Abro1975

Hall of Famer
Nov 21, 2009
Huge weekend for the RU Baseball team trying to secure a Big10 Tournament berth (top 8 teams).
RU currently sits in a tie for 6th with a 5-4 conference record. The pitching staff is rounding into form
with a 2.90 ERA in the Big Ten so far, down from 5.76 last season.

Purdue sits in 9th place with a 5-6 record.

Today's starter is LHP Harry Rutkowski (1-3, 3.23 ERA), tomorrow Tommy Genuario (2-2, 2.97 ERA), Sunday LHP Tevin Murray (2-3, 3.66 ERA).

Rutkowski will match up against Andrew Bohm (0-4, 6.38 ERA), Purdue's pitchers are TBA for the weekend.

For RU Carmen Sclafani is back in the lineup.

IMO, RU is a favorite to take 2 out of 3 against Purdue , with a sweep a real possibility. After today, the Conference schedule gets tougher with 3rd place Michigan(5-3), followed by 12th place Penn St (1-10), followed by tied for 6th NW (5-4), ending the regular season at 2nd place Indiana (7-2).
I think the home series against Northwestern will be deciding series to determine IF RU makes the playoffs, thinking we take the Purdue and Penn St series, and lose the Michigan and Indiana series.

The much improved starting pitching MUST maintain it's recent quality weekend starts, and hitting needs to give them some help.

It all starts today at Noon. Weather could play havoc with the weekend schedule.

Full story with links to follow the games:

https://scarletknights.com/news/2019/4/18/baseball-preparing-to-host-purdue-at-bainton-field.aspx

Rutgers wins the series opener 2-0. Rutkowski throws a gem.... 8 shutout innings, w 12 strikeouts ! He threw a total of 111 pitches, I'm guessing the most for him in his RU career. Serafino Brito picks up the Save

Sclafini and Blum with the Ribbies. Welsh and Vaderamma with the runs scored. Game 2 scheduled for tomorrow, but wouldn't be surprised to see a Doubleheader on Sunday with bad weather in tomorrow's forecast.

RU gets to 6-4 in Big10 play.

Full stats:

https://scarletknights.com/sidearmstats/baseball/individual;team=home;category=batting

Today's pitching matchup is RU's Tommy Genuario (2-2, 2.97 ERA) vs Purdue's Trent Johnson (1-2, 3.21 ERA). Probably another close one.

Gotta play .500 ball or better from here out. Next weekend is a tough Michigan team. That makes this series even more important

Gotta play .500 ball or better from here out. Next weekend is a tough Michigan team. That makes this series even more important

Schedule gets a lot more difficult with only 1 “bottom feeder,” PSU, remaining. Michigan, NW, IU, will all be very difficult series.

Reactions: biazza38
6-2 loss Final. Not sure how the coach lets Soto hit with bases loaded in the 7th losing 2-0. . He is literally hitting under .100 and struck out the previous 2 times up, and strikes again w the bases full never even swinging at a pitch. Plus, why was the best hitter Dezzi not in the lineup? Figured he would pinch hit for very lighting Soto. Guess he is hurt. In the 6th RU loads the bases and gets nobody in. Yikes. Bats Ice cold 2 days in a row. Need to win tomorrow.
Genaurio pitched well, giving up no earned runs over 7 innings, but his own error plus Sclafani's error let in the first 2 runs. As soon as they brought in Acosta, the game was over.

6-2 loss Final. Not sure how the coach lets Soto hit with bases loaded in the 7th losing 2-0. . He is literally hitting under .100 and struck out the previous 2 times up, and strikes again w the bases full never even swinging.

Tells you all you need to know about our HC.

Is Dezzi hurt? He played the entire Hofstra game a few days ago. I assume he's hurt or suspended since he's the team's best hitter . Greco? Is DeRosa still on the team? All infielders.
I was wondering the same thing about Dezzi — But I assumed he was unavailable or else he would’ve played.

Dezzi back in the lineup for todays game (11am). Which makes it more baffling why he didn't play yesterday when his bat was needed desperately.

Good for them. Right in the thick of it. Next week will be tough. If our starters pitch the way they are now, then we have a shot in any conference game

Is Dezzi hurt? He played the entire Hofstra game a few days ago. I assume he's hurt or suspended since he's the team's best hitter . Greco? Is DeRosa still on the team? All infielders.
What did happen to DeRosa. Did he graduate, get drafted, or transfer?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT