ADVERTISEMENT

RU Basketball will likely NOT participate in early season tourney, how do we bolster our schedule?

picking your spots would be picking them in the early season. That's the best time to knock of superior opponents who are bringing together a bunch of new guys vs a team like our returning almost everyone who is already used to playing with each other
We’ve traditionally done poorly in these types of tournaments. The atmosphere for these games is terrible and with a bad matchup up, you pick up two easy losses. It’s a total toss up. Frankly, we don’t need to be in one to boost our SOS.

Just saw Richie tweet out that Nebraska is now the 8th team in the last early season tourney that had an opening. We MUST bolster our schedule considering we will most likely not be in the Gavitt games this year leaving just the B1G/ACC challenge and SHU being our lone quad 1 OOC games. We must add at least one perhaps even 2 more legit games. Any ideas?

Edit: there appears to actually be a slot open im the Jersey Mike’s Tourney in Jamaica which has URI, LSU and Utah State awaiting a 4th team

New Jersey or the Jimmy V organization should put together a schedule something like this: the major teams in New Jersey all meet in the beginning of the year, called the Jimmy V Jersey classic.

Princeton
Rutgers
Seton Hall
FDU
St. Peter’s
Monmouth
Rider
NJIT

Rank the teams and 1plays 8 etc.

This we have an annual presence in the. Jimmy V and don ‘t necessarily play PU or SHU
In semi meaningless games.

Mo

We’ve traditionally done poorly in these types of tournaments. The atmosphere for these games is terrible and with a bad matchup up, you pick up two easy losses. It’s a total toss up. Frankly, we don’t need to be in one to boost our SOS.
i don't care what we've "traditionally done" those coaches and players who "traditionally" did bad arent here any more. Tourney teams play in these early season tourneys and that's our legit achievable goal next year

That's bc we've traditionally been a terrible basketball program which is irrelevant to this team and the Pike era moving forward

hit-the-nail-on-the-head-gif.gif
If true...we have a coach that TRULY gets it

Truly

Reactions: PiscatawayMike
picking your spots would be picking them in the early season. That's the best time to knock of superior opponents who are bringing together a bunch of new guys vs a team like our returning almost everyone who is already used to playing with each other

This is why I'm not as worried if we schedule "up" in the OOC season.

Last year, we had to break in literally 6 (three frosh, Johnson, Kiss, and Carter) of our 11 eligible players as newbies, so it was expected that there would be growing pains early on.

This coming year, we will have a "core" of 9 guys who all played together last year -- Baker, Omoruyi, Harper, Mathis, McConnell, Johnson, Carter, Kiss, and Doucoure, plus a 10th guy (Young) who practiced with the team all year. Even if there might be a slight adjustment with Young, Mulcahy and hopefully a grad transfer being absorbed into the rotation, this team will be ready to compete right from the get-go.

I firmly believe we can be on the NCAA bubble this year. As such, I want to see our OOC SOS be improved markedly.

i don't care what we've "traditionally done" those coaches and players who "traditionally" did bad arent here any more. Tourney teams play in these early season tourneys and that's our legit achievable goal next year
The obsession with early OOC tournaments is mind boggling. We only have about 9 OOC games. One of those is ACC, another is a Big East team. That leaves us with about 7 games under our control. Why throw two of those games away and in the control of someone else. The insistence that it’s necessary is not true.

New Jersey or the Jimmy V organization should put together a schedule something like this: the major teams in New Jersey all meet in the beginning of the year, called the Jimmy V Jersey classic.

Princeton
Rutgers
Seton Hall
FDU
St. Peter’s
Monmouth
Rider
NJIT

Rank the teams and 1plays 8 etc.

This we have an annual presence in the. Jimmy V and don ‘t necessarily play PU or SHU
In semi meaningless games.

Mo
Been discussed for 20+ years on this board (and it predecessors) will never happen

Reactions: Local Shill
Those early season tournaments are an easy way to pick up two losses in a neutral site territory. I don’t like them for this team. Pick your spots

the early season tournaments provide key quad 1 and 2 opportunities on neutral site floors which are better than losing to Fordham on the road or playing Umass which could be a Q4 game

2018-19 was the first year the B1G went to a 20 game league schedule. We are the only high major conference that has a 20 game league schedule. By its nature the 20 game league schedule increases the SOS of every team in the league.

At this time we only have a sample size of one season and as you mentioned the B1G was a pretty strong league in '18-19, BUT there was NOT ONE B1G team that finished outside the top 50 in SOS. With a 20 game league schedule (as long as the other high majors stay at 18) I believe that is a trend that will continue rather than fall off precipitously. And not only was our 10-10 team (Iowa) an NCAA lock, but our 9-11 team (Minnesota) got in pretty easily (10 seed) AND one of our 8-12 teams (OSU) also got in as an 11 seed without a play in game.

Our non-conference SOS was #146 last season. Not #303.

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/ranking/non-conference-sos-by-other

incorrect....the selection committee uses the sos from the NET which is based on rpi, You keep repeating false stuff here and not sure why. The metric is NET and not what you posted. RU had a non conference sos of 305 and an overall sos of 76

Nebraska got a raw deal, but 13-5 was a little misleading. IIRC, the Big 10 was down that year and only got 4 teams in the NCAA's and due to the unbalanced conference schedule, Nebraska played the worst teams in the conference twice (RU, IL and PSU) and avoided playing most of the better teams twice.

and there is no guarantee that the Big 10 is as strong as it was last year. It never is. So you do have to schedule...only look at NC State for an example of going 500 in league and 22-10 and not making it.

also Indiana and Alabama were in last 4 out with 17-15 and 18-15 records...solid sos, it allows a team that compiles alot of losses to stay in the running

incorrect....the selection committee uses the sos from the NET which is based on rpi, You keep repeating false stuff here and not sure why. The metric is NET and not what you posted. RU had a non conference sos of 305 and an overall sos of 76

If the committee uses solely NET as you state how did St. Johns get in with a NET ranking of 73 and NC State (33rd in NET), Clemson (35th in NET) and Texas (38th in NET) not make it in ahead of them?

Kansas State was a 6 seed based on NET but got a 4 seed. Minnesota a 12 seed by NET, but got a 10. If we went by NET rankings NC State, Clemson, Texas, Furman, Memphis and Nebraska would have been in and St. John’s, Arizona State, Minnesota, Seton Hall, Temple and Ohio State would have been out. Shall I go on? That's 20% of the at large field in direct contradiction to "NET rankings".

I do not discount the value of the NET rankings. Nor am I slave to it. Seems the committee does the same. There are sites that do a better job in calculating SOS than NET (IMO). I believe the one I provided is one of them. Especially being NET critically underweights (IMO) conference tournament results (i.e Michigan State winning the B1G tournament and being the lowest 2 seed).

Last edited:
You get better by playing better competition. Period. This isn’t a bunch of freshman who might get their confidence shattered. If we want to be taken seriously, we’ve got to start acting like it, not like Georgetown’s and St. John’s ridiculous schedules. We’ll still have our share of supposed cupcakes come in to the RAC, and we’ll probably struggle with some of hem.

I never liked John Chaney as a coach but I always admired his “play anybody anywhere” Attitude.

If the committee uses solely NET as you state how did St. Johns get in with a NET ranking of 73 and NC State (33rd in NET), Clemson (35th in NET) and Texas (38th in NET) not make it in ahead of them?

Kansas State was a 6 seed based on NET but got a 4 seed. Minnesota a 12 seed by NET, but got a 10. If we went by NET rankings NC State, Clemson, Texas, Furman, Memphis and Nebraska would have been in and St. John’s, Arizona State, Minnesota, Seton Hall, Temple and Ohio State would have been out. Shall I go on? That's 20% of the at large field in direct contradiction to "NET rankings".

I do not discount the value of the NET rankings. Nor am I slave to it. Seems the committee does the same. There are sites that do a better job in calculating SOS than NET (IMO). I believe the one I provided is one of them. Especially being NET critically underweights (IMO) conference tournament results (i.e Michigan State winning the B1G tournament and being the lowest 2 seed).

who said I solely said NET.....however for metrics this is what they are looking at...all the metrics and then balance it. St Johns got in because it had quality wins that NC St didnt have and NC St schedule was deplorable at last or next to last ooc

Clearly they do not just take the highest rated schools in NET I never once said that but when using SOS that is what they are using, the link you provided was some unknown ranking system that has nothing to do with anything. Not sure what seedings have to do with this argument or who was selected, Texas was only 500

Credit to @BigEastPhil for making me aware of this Jon Rothstein tweet from a couple weeks ago...

The RU gridders host Ohio State on Nov. 16. I'd hate to miss it, but if the football season goes the way most think it will, I may decide to skip the game in Piscataway and make the trip to the Great White North. I haven't missed a home football game in 20 years (Pitt at Rutgers Stadium in 1999).

Can someone link the N.J.com article on the out of country trip they are taking in preseason?

The only problem is the NCAA selection committee didn't follow the NET rankings
...the selection process you've outlined for years, was not NET based or solely based on OOC. An OOC schedule is not going to outweigh a conference win or a road conference win, even against a 11th through 14th place team in the B1G standings.

Every team has a 250 to 300 ranked team on their schedule. We've outlined 25 out of 30 games being credible or what 85 to 90% of programs have. If the game is a 1 game neutral site against a Power 5 program, that solves the problem.

Not every Thanksgiving weekend tournament is worth scheduling IMO.

So, if I've been following along, we're talking about a PAC12 or SEC school that didn't make the tourney this year but perhaps finished similar or better than us and has aspirations of making the tourney next year.
That brings the universe to about 17-18 schools I think?

My guess is UCLA that’d be a nice name opponent for RU.

Sure you could figure it out if you look at pre season tourneys and which teams from PAC 12 and SEC are not participating in an event

Reactions: rubigtimenow
The only problem is the NCAA selection committee didn't follow the NET rankings
...the selection process you've outlined for years, was not NET based or solely based on OOC. An OOC schedule is not going to outweigh a conference win or a road conference win, even against a 11th through 14th place team in the B1G standings.

Every team has a 250 to 300 ranked team on their schedule. We've outlined 25 out of 30 games being credible or what 85 to 90% of programs have. If the game is a 1 game neutral site against a Power 5 program, that solves the problem.

Not every Thanksgiving weekend tournament is worth scheduling IMO.

That isnt even my argument

My point is the sos used is the one in the net which is an rpi based sos

Not sure why anyone is bringing up who got selected

That isnt even my argument

My point is the sos used is the one in the net which is an rpi based sos

Not sure why anyone is bringing up who got selected

And i will point you to a 500 conference nc state as an example

An ooc loss to Utah State improves the RU profile over a quad 4 win at home over a horrific UMass

Credit to @BigEastPhil for making me aware of this Jon Rothstein tweet from a couple weeks ago...

The RU gridders host Ohio State on Nov. 16. I'd hate to miss it, but if the football season goes the way most think it will, I may decide to skip the game in Piscataway and make the trip to the Great White North. I haven't missed a home football game in 20 years (Pitt at Rutgers Stadium in 1999).

Hopefully matchups are based on conference level

And i will point you to a 500 conference nc state as an example

An ooc loss to Utah State improves the RU profile over a quad 4 win at home over a horrific UMass

You're way off base on the generalizations on schools like UMass being rhe same each year and NCState didn't get in because they lost to Georgia Tech twice...it had very little to do with their OOC.

RU isn't in a position to schedule up with 7 to 8 OOC games on top of 20+ B1G games. These examples of other schools doesn't apply to everyone else.

I will ask it again, what is the total number of losses RU can carry, to earn an at large bid, given that a best case scenario is 10-10 in regular season and 1-1 in the B1G. That's 11 losses.

RU needs to get to 20 wins, anything less or anything with 13 or more losses, is not going to fly IMO....21-12 or 10-1 OOC is the goal to ensure your in....18-14 or 19-13 & you only get in, if the B1G is strong.

If the B1G is a bit lower, that only helps the program get to the level it needs to.....and this is NOT a 1 year window, if it's set up properly, it's a 3 year window.

Reactions: Skull83
You're way off base on the generalizations on schools like UMass being rhe same each year and NCState didn't get in because they lost to Georgia Tech twice...it had very little to do with their OOC.

RU isn't in a position to schedule up with 7 to 8 OOC games on top of 20+ B1G games. These examples of other schools doesn't apply to everyone else.

I will ask it again, what is the total number of losses RU can carry, to earn an at large bid, given that a best case scenario is 10-10 in regular season and 1-1 in the B1G. That's 11 losses.

RU needs to get to 20 wins, anything less or anything with 13 or more losses, is not going to fly IMO....21-12 or 10-1 OOC is the goal to ensure your in....18-14 or 19-13 & you only get in, if the B1G is strong.

If the B1G is a bit lower, that only helps the program get to the level it needs to.....and this is NOT a 1 year window, if it's set up properly, it's a 3 year window.

NC State had the worst non conference SOS in the country, it absolutely had to do with that. and the fact that they had just one or two quality wins.

RU absolutely can make the dance at 19-14 with a strong sos and quality non conference wins......9-11 in the Big 10 with two quality non conference wins and two or three quality in conference wins...thats a recipe to get in. The name Rutgers will not prevent RU from going like any other 19-14. Schools like TCU had a strong sos but were 7-11 in league

If its a 3 year window then 2020 isnt the year for RU to make the tourney and then I would agree its not wise to schedule up. Personally I see the team has having fringe chances for NCAA as currently structured and would wait for 2021 to schedule up

the idea of fearing a SOS that is tough must be overcome...the Big 10 was awesome last year, that is not true every year, if they do poorly in the non conference like they did two years ago, they could play 30 league games and the conference as a whole will still have lower ratings across the board

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT