ADVERTISEMENT

RU Iowa

Thats being outscored 22-6 over the last 3 minutes of the 4th and most of OT so far. Wow, collapse.

its a terrible offense...1 point in last 4 minutes...at home no less with a NCAA bid on the line..

35-16 run since leading 49-38 with about 9 minutes left....absolutely hammered in overtime too, showing no fight...make that 39-18

Last edited:
And where was Fitzpatrick? Stringer brings her in waayyyyyyyyy too late in the 4th quarter. Man, we could have used her three point shooting. But no! I guess she doesn't play tough enough defense to deserve enough minutes.

Hey ... the team had 6 wins last year ... they’ll beat NW to get to 20 wins and anything else is icing on the cake.
THEY HAD 6 WINS BECAUSE THEY HAD NOBODY ON THE TEAM! What's the excuse this year??????????

Reactions: shields
And we lose by 10! Only Rutgers. Great job women. You deserve what you got. NIT her you come and that's ONLY if the NCAA committee even lets you in. Choke job par excellence!

The men have a huge comeback, the women blow a lead ... you should know we are RU ... just root for RU to beat NW so we can see a team with a winning B1G record ... other than W Soccer, don’t think we’ve had any other this year.

its about offense and scoring...CVS is trapped in the late 80s and early 90s....ponytails at Iowa draining 3s while CVS played an outdated game
BAC we've been saying this now for years. Stringer is one stubborn son-of-a-gun. She refuses to change just like her mentor Chaney and we now how that worked out for him. What a HORRIBLE loss. I was so excited to come on here and write up a recap of an important win, but our women CHOKED in the last few minutes of regulation and get smoked in OT. Disgraceful!

1 basket and 1 free throw in last four minutes. Ugh!
Four point lead with thirty seconds and don't close it out. Ugh!
Was it 2 for 15 from 3? Ugh!
50% from the free throw line. Ugh!
4 points in the first Quarter! Ugh, Ugh!!!
And a game they neeeded for an NCAA bid. Super Ugh!

Iowa is now 22-7 (10-5) and has won 6 straight ... not a bad team ... stinks to blow a lead ... if Tyler hits both FTs then RU wins ... but the game is done, no need to dwell on it ... just be positive to see a win vs NW.

Reactions: RUinSeattle
there has just been way too much medicority with the record the past 10-11 years, anyone saying otherwise is just being a shill
But that's what we have on here. Hobbs gave her an extension. I thought it was a good move until I learned it was for four years. Really? I will celebrate with her when she reaches 1,000 victories, but if she had just been willing to change 10 years ago, like you mentioned, she would have had 1,000 victories several years ago and probably at least one maybe two championships. Instead we get this tired looking crap as if I'm watching a re-run on TV that I don't like and know the outcome of.

Iowa is now 22-7 (10-5) and has won 6 straight ... not a bad team ... stinks to blow a lead ... if Tyler hits both FTs then RU wins ... but the game is done, no need to dwell on it ... just be positive to see a win vs NW.
No need to dwell on it? Are you kidding me????? This game was the most important game of the season, because they had choked away the previous record and put themselves in this precarious situation. Even if they win their last game, which is no longer a gimme with this team, they will not be playing in the NCAA tournament unless they win by some miracle a few games in the B1G and the NCAA thinks they're worthy based on RPI. Personally I don't think so. This win and a last win would have put them at 9-7 in league play and 21-9 overall. Instead they choked away a win that was theirs for the taking. I am so pissed.

But that's what we have on here. Hobbs gave her an extension. I thought it was a good move until I learned it was for four years. Really? I will celebrate with her when she reaches 1,000 victories, but if she had just been willing to change 10 years ago, like you mentioned, she would have had 1,000 victories several years ago and probably at least one maybe two championships. Instead we get this tired looking crap as if I'm watching a re-run on TV that I don't like and know the outcome of.

what is going to happen in two years when the contract has to be renewed?...its the same thing we did with the last extension with Julie hoping that CVS would retire...so Hobbs does the 4 year thing but after 2 you have to decide to extend again

RU is 7-8 in the Big 10 .....all alone in NINTH....with a potential to finish 10th...good thing they beat MSU and have the tiebreak because potentially could have finished 11th and played the first round game.

RU has performed poorly in this league all but one year,

RU is 7-8 in the Big 10 .....all alone in NINTH....with a potential to finish 10th...good thing they beat MSU and have the tiebreak because potentially could have finished 11th and played the first round game.

RU has performed poorly in this league all but one year,
More the reason to support the team versus NW to have a winning B1G record ... anytime RU avoids being in the cellar in the B1G, be thankful ... winning record or .500 ... enjoy it for those are few and far between.

This was a must win home game, no excuse not to win.
The anti-Stringer faction ( not all knocking Stringer over this loss are anti-CVS, just frustrated about the losses) can crow all they want about this loss and they have a right to.
But she'll be back and so will they.
Looks like the NCAA will be out of reach , unless a great B1G tourney showing and the way this team is looking: even I'm doubtful .
With a WNIT appearance Vivian should reach 1000.

As for beating Northwestern (10-19 >3-12<) at their house Sunday :I can't claim to be confident after losing to Iowa, even if they are a good team.
But I feel CVS has a fairly good shot at leaving Evanston with 997 career victories and if pull one out in the BIG T the NCAA might give her a shot at reaching 1000 in their tourney instad of RU having to go to the WNIT and try.

That said: I feel Hobbs might not extend Vivian before her contract is up, if RU doesn't make the NCAAs this year and doesn't have an outstanding season next year.
Once the 1000th is reached, it will be a lot easier for him to change the RUWBB leadership and claim a new direction is needed , even if Stringer doesn't go along.
As for me: once Vivian gets her 1000th I'll be looking closely at the way her next year's team plays and will less loyalty if RU doesn't make the Dance this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: RU MAN
Is there an official prohibition on mentioning the officiating (i.e., the refs) during WCTC's post game analysis. No doubt RU lost the game, but the refs were a factor in some bizarre calls. I don't get it. You hear about the refs after every NFL game, but not a word on the WCTC post game show. I wonder if the NCAA or B10 does any kind of assessment on their officiating personnel?

what is going to happen in two years when the contract has to be renewed?...its the same thing we did with the last extension with Julie hoping that CVS would retire...so Hobbs does the 4 year thing but after 2 you have to decide to extend again
Big issue.

Is there an official prohibition on mentioning the officiating (i.e., the refs) during WCTC's post game analysis. No doubt RU lost the game, but the refs were a factor in some bizarre calls. I don't get it. You hear about the refs after every NFL game, but not a word on the WCTC post game show. I wonder if the NCAA or B10 does any kind of assessment on their officiating personnel?
Are you really asking this? I'm not trying to be smug. The officiating in women's basketball is atrocious. IMO the worst officiating of any group sports in college.

Reactions: DennisHajekRC84
This was a must win home game, no excuse not to win.
The anti-Stringer faction ( not all knocking Stringer over this loss are anti-CVS, just frustrated about the losses) can crow all they want about this loss and they have a right to.
But she'll be back and so will they.
Looks like the NCAA will be out of reach , unless a great B1G tourney showing and the way this team is looking: even I'm doubtful .
With a WNIT appearance Vivian should reach 1000.

As for beating Northwestern (10-19 >3-12<) at their house Sunday :I can't claim to be confident after losing to Iowa, even if they are a good team.
But I feel CVS has a fairly good shot at leaving Evanston with 997 career victories and if pull one out in the BIG T the NCAA might give her a shot at reaching 1000 in their tourney instad of RU having to go to the WNIT and try.

That said: I feel Hobbs might not extend Vivian before her contract is up, if RU doesn't make the NCAAs this year and doesn't have an outstanding season next year.
Once the 1000th is reacxhed, it will be a lot easier for him to change the RUWBB leadership and claim a new direction is needed , even if Stringer doesn't go along.
As for me: once Vivian gets her 1000th I'll be looking closely at the way her next year's team plays and will less loyalty if RU doesn't make the Dance this year.
Great and very fair post Madhat. I couldn't agree more. It's time for a more modern coach. We need an offensive minded coach who also happens to care about defense. We need top flight three point shooters who defeat us in these close games. No one answered me during the game, but where was Fitzpatrick the whole game? She can knock down threes. C. Viv puts her in late when she should have been there to prevent the disintegration of our dwindling lead. My god, we were up nine with three minutes to go.

It seems as if we always lose to Iowa. What is Vivian's record vs. her old school, Iowa since she has been at RU?

Yet you’ve posted at least 10 times in this thread. LOL

Here lies the problem.. Instead of being disappointed at the team coaches etc. people focus on how many times a poster comes here .I see the lol but I'm sure there are more posters who will poo poo what has happened this season and put their efforts into criticizing that posters come here only in a loss,

Here lies the problem.. Instead of being disappointed at the team coaches etc. people focus on how many times a poster comes here .I see the lol but I'm sure there are more posters who will poo poo what has happened this season and put their efforts into criticizing that posters come here only in a loss,
I planned to stay out of this thread but this one took me over the top. Some people choose to be positive and supportive. Others choose only to criticize. No one is “poo-pooing the situation as it stands. Just because I don’t want to engage in negativity and plan to continue to support this team (and other teams at RU) doesn’t make me any less of a fan than you.

Like Diana says it gets tiresome seeing threads with multiple posts all saying the same thing. We know the game last night was important. We know we needed to win. But we didn’t and criticizing the coaching staff and the kids repeatedly does nothing but make those posters who relish in negativity feel good.

Criticize if you will but I will still be out at Northwestern Sunday and in Indy next week. Hope to see you guys out there. Glad you continue to support RU.

Scaife scores 30 points and the team still loses because the rest of the team is too dependent on her to score .In OT Scaife probably was tired and the rest of the team didn't step up and score.Terrible loss because of its importance for post season play .

Reactions: RocktheRac
As I said before I support every RU sport more than you can imagine and while I have not been doing it as long as you RU 67 I have been doing it with all my heart since 1974 since my older brother first went to Rutgers and then I eventually followed him. I sit there on my Big 10 app. and watch almost all games and sports RU that is on the app. That being said we are not here to criticize and just come on after losses but we are here because we care about RU and all sports RU!! I not only speak out about womens but there are certain other sports that I feel Hobbs has not made the proper moves as far as coaching and they are mired in mediocraty or worse and I have been outspoken how those coaches need to be replaced and Hobbs has not done anything there. That being said the womens program which was our one bright shining stars for many years has been on the decline and the decline continues!! Don't be fooled by this winning record because it was gained against many mediocre opponents. There comes a time when a coach or someone at there job has to retire and when they are not able to do there job at the top and that is reality. CVS is well past her prime and it is time for a change but she is too stubborn to allow that and will continue to keep this program down as long as she is coaching!!

You're wrong , most all RU fans are disgusted at this lost and feel it was inexcusable to lose a game as important as this one is, especially on RU's home court.
But they, including myself, can also be disgusted seeing posters that only come on this board to criticize the coach/program after something bad happens but seem to hide when things are looking good.

Stop whining about your posting habits being critiqued.
You have every right to express your opinion, but RUWBB fans also have every right to point out when you do that and how it seems not to be when his program wins..

That said, every one posting in this thread agree this type of loss can not be tolerated and every single criticism made about this loss is deserved

Yet you’ve posted at least 10 times in this thread. LOL

No, Rock, this isn’t the problem. I was at game, cheering on the team while you (and others) sat there whining, posting the same “choke job” comments over and over? You think I’m not disappointed? Really?!?! You don’t think this was extremely painful for those of us who were at the RAC? I got home after a 1-hour drive, still with a giant knot in my stomach, and finally had a chance to read this game thread, only to get a lecture from you about I’m supposed to feel. You honestly have NO IDEA how I feel.

No, Rock, this isn’t the problem. I was at game, cheering on the team while you (and others) sat there whining, posting the same “choke job” comments over and over? You think I’m not disappointed? Really?!?! You don’t think this was extremely painful for those of us who were at the RAC? I got home after a 1-hour drive, still with a giant knot in my stomach, and finally had a chance to read this game thread, only to get a lecture from you about I’m supposed to feel. You honestly have NO IDEA how I feel.
Well said Diana - you said in much fewer words what I am feeling. Only difference is that my drive home was shorter.:flushed:

Reactions: RUfanDNT
What really concerns me (and frustrated the crap out of me) is this is not the first end game we've done this. I remember the same thing happened in the game we did win in OT.
As complementary as I have been about CVS this season...this is where COACHING comes in. Lack of fouling end game or a real strategy/in game decisions just don't seem to be there. She may be great at 10,000 feet but I just don't see it reflect on the court when needed most.

Although totally relying on 1 player to score isn't a great strategy IMHO.

Whether they make the NCAA or not , hoping to beat NW and win at least a couple in the B1G tourney to represent well.

Up by 3 with 9 seconds to go, she should have told the team to foul so they only get 2 free throws.

in the post game she said that her players knew that player was going to be shooting..they had to make her take a 2 no matter what and not a 3...she said iowa was going to go to their "lord" for the shot and you let the other players beat you.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT