ADVERTISEMENT

RU Lax Commit

Looks like a lefty Attackman that is pretty quick but not the biggest kid. BB does a nice job recruiting out in Ohio. This kids club was started and is at least partially run but the OSU coaching staff. Looks like we missed out on the top goalie in NJ as he just committed to Duke, but we have certainly gotten our share of the top kids from NJ in the 2020 class

Very odd. He’s listed as both an attackman and long stick defender. His vid has him playing both. Based off why I’m seeing, he’s definitely a long stick at the next level.

Good pickup of he is a pole as he is athletic. Here is another example of BB finding and recruiting athletic kids that fit his style of play.

Very odd. He’s listed as both an attackman and long stick defender. His vid has him playing both. Based off why I’m seeing, he’s definitely a long stick at the next level.
Agree, doesn't look super comfortable off hand.

To my knowledge, Resolute is the main club in Ohio. A few of the national clubs have toe holds there but nothing major to speak of. It's a nice gimmick for colleges to run clubs, but a total conflict of interest. Particularly when there is no surrounding D1 program with a few hundred miles in each direction. I imagine there will eventually be a crack down on this.

BTW, was at a tournament in Vegas this past weekend and a few coaches were talking about Zach Groff (goalie from CO, class of 2020). Kid is apparently pretty amazing.

Saw we lost a faceoff kid from Oregon who flipped to Syracuse. Our flip record is stronger on the plus side though. Can't win em all.

Colorado has some nice lax talent. Love that Brecht focuses on recruiting nationally but still lands his fair share of NJ/NY/LI players.

Colorado has some nice lax talent. Love that Brecht focuses on recruiting nationally but still lands his fair share of NJ/NY/LI players.

It's a lesson in how to build a program. He knew the Jersey kids were going to be tough early on. So he went out and recruited nationally, landing kids from non traditional areas who were serious athletes and just needed top level coaching. He was able to do that, while winning some games. Now those same Jersey kids who used to leave the state are giving serious looks, with a number of them committing.

We will always have a well rounded geographical roster though. Jersey kids will always be the base, but he isn't going to recruit the state exclusively. He wants kids from everywhere.

It's a lesson in how to build a program. He knew the Jersey kids were going to be tough early on. So he went out and recruited nationally, landing kids from non traditional areas who were serious athletes and just needed top level coaching. He was able to do that, while winning some games. Now those same Jersey kids who used to leave the state are giving serious looks, with a number of them committing.

We will always have a well rounded geographical roster though. Jersey kids will always be the base, but he isn't going to recruit the state exclusively. He wants kids from everywhere.
Just posted the Inside Lacrosse Top 25 Preseason rankings in another post. RU ranked #12 in the nation in preseason and facing NINE ranked teams in the Preseason Top 25 this year.

Agree, doesn't look super comfortable off hand.

To my knowledge, Resolute is the main club in Ohio. A few of the national clubs have toe holds there but nothing major to speak of. It's a nice gimmick for colleges to run clubs, but a total conflict of interest. Particularly when there is no surrounding D1 program with a few hundred miles in each direction. I imagine there will eventually be a crack down on this.

BTW, was at a tournament in Vegas this past weekend and a few coaches were talking about Zach Groff (goalie from CO, class of 2020). Kid is apparently pretty amazing.
you Coach in Colorado right? Just wondering because Vegas from the East Coast is a long way.
Groff is a 2019 I believe and if you go watch his film he is very good and different from Max as he is a bigger kid.but has quick hands and handles pretty well.

Resolute is probably the top team in Ohio with True being number 2. Resolute is a nice program in Ohio NCAA has a rule about location of the club team and such. I am not sure what the specific rule is but they have found a loop hole that is for sure.

you Coach in Colorado right? Just wondering because Vegas from the East Coast is a long way.
Groff is a 2019 I believe and if you go watch his film he is very good and different from Max as he is a bigger kid.but has quick hands and handles pretty well.

Resolute is probably the top team in Ohio with True being number 2. Resolute is a nice program in Ohio NCAA has a rule about location of the club team and such. I am not sure what the specific rule is but they have found a loop hole that is for sure.
I coach club and run a 400 kid rec program, thought about coaching HS but wouldn't work with my job. Fall club lax in Co generally means trips to Vegas or Cali. Starting to pick up now that football & soccer are over.

Its exceedingly lucrative for the club teams which are attached to colleges. You get access to the facilities and the players (presuming they stay around for the summer). The conflict potentially arises in that they have an incentive to recruit you to play for "that" college, not other colleges. Perhaps that's more perception than reality. In the end, they are providing a service and charging a hefty fee. It's the parents free-will to decide if they want to pay or not. The issue is, 90% of lacrosse parents think their kid is getting a full scholarship. It's bizarre and leads to some very poor parental behavior.

Denver is a bit unique in that there is Denver, the Outlaws (outdoor pro) and the Mammoth (pro box) all on top of each other (Air Force isn't far away, and CU and CSU club lax is very good). That's a lot of highly qualified coaches and ex-players looking to monetize lacrosse. The positive is that leads to a ton of talent coming out of this region. Still, its only a matter of time before Texas and California take over IMHO.

Last edited:

BTW, looks like Groff is a flat arc guy. I know the flat arc is still a debate (I am not a goalie coach!) but it seems to really work for the bigger guys. He's 6"4 I believe.

I am a goalie coach and absolutely believe in Low or flat arc. Affords all goalie less movement and more awareness of where you are in the goal which allows you to play angles better. He also plays an incredibly wide base which allows him to cover a lot of the goal but the weakness is it takes away some lateral quickness. The kid is like the kid from Delaware but the UDel goalie is a little taller.
I will day that when I deal with a goalie who has already developed his style I would not try and change it but would instead make suggestions to tweak there game to counter their weaknesses

Reactions: jreinsdorf
Denver is a bit unique in that there is Denver, the Outlaws (outdoor pro) and the Mammoth (pro box) all on top of each other (Air Force isn't far away, and CU and CSU club lax is very good). That's a lot of highly qualified coaches and ex-players looking to monetize lacrosse. The positive is that leads to a ton of talent coming out of this region. Still, its only a matter of time before Texas and California take over IMHO.

You also benefit in Colorado of having a 50 year history of high school programs. While not as deep as the traditional hotbeds, you don't have to rely on imports to run the show and coach.

I am more and more impressed with midwest lacrosse. The freshmen attackmen that started for me last year moved from Illinois.

I am more and more impressed with midwest lacrosse. The freshmen attackmen that started for me last year moved from Illinois.
Midwest players are coming along...there are some hot pockets of talent and you are starting to see more D1 schools grab kids from areas like Ohio, Michigan, Indiana and Illinois...

The east coast still has larger volumes of great players, but the top end kids from the Midwest can play with anybody...we just don't have the depth or the pure numbers of great HS teams and programs...eastern schools also have access to better coaching (IMO)...but as an example, the top club teams coming out of Michigan have very good coaching and they're led by east coast guys...

As far as high school, you still have a depth issue...using Michigan and Illinois as an example...

In Michigan, you only have 3-4 top teams led by Brother Rice and Detroit Catholic Central...maybe a couple others a slight step down, and then the floor drops off...and I mean really drops off...

In Illinois, you see two teams compete for the state title every year...Loyola Academy and New Trier

NY, PA, NJ, MD, VA...So much more depth in terms of numbers...but I agree the Midwest has kids that can really play...of course I'm biased :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

We have played several teams from the Midwest and there are teams that’s are very talented especially the Resolute teams and the Juiced Cherries teams.

We had a player that came from Ohio and he was very good.

Long Island still has the most depth of talent with MD upstate NY, NJ and the Philly area all very good

We have played several teams from the Midwest and there are teams that’s are very talented especially the Resolute teams and the Juiced Cherries teams.

We had a player that came from Ohio and he was very good.

Long Island still has the most depth of talent with MD upstate NY, NJ and the Philly area all very good

Agree. My guys came up through the Cherries system. Brennan is actually a founding member...played on some of their first teams as they were cutting their teeth...had some growing pains but they’re solid now

Resolute is very competitive as you note

Just don’t have the depth here...not sure we ever will.

Looks like a lefty Attackman that is pretty quick but not the biggest kid. BB does a nice job recruiting out in Ohio. This kids club was started and is at least partially run but the OSU coaching staff. Looks like we missed out on the top goalie in NJ as he just committed to Duke, but we have certainly gotten our share of the top kids from NJ in the 2020 class
Who was the goalie to Duke?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT