ADVERTISEMENT

RU Lax Currently on ESPNU

No Yorktown guys (Eric Cooley, Jack Phelan, Conor Vercruysse) playing yet right? I saw Yorktown (state champs last year) play Bosco in scrimmage last week and Bosco was struggling (they seemed a bit stocky compared to Y'town)

This post was edited on 3/28 3:01 PM by RU0517581

Originally posted by RU0517581:
No Yorktown guys (Eric Cooley, Jack Phelan, Conor Vercruysse) playing yet right? I saw Yorktown (state champs last year) play Bosco in scrimmage last week and Bosco was struggling (they seemed a bit stocky compared to Y'town)

This post was edited on 3/28 3:01 PM by RU0517581

Vercruysse is redshirting. Got hurt in the fall.

We are so young, our poise really need to be worked on. Experience needs to be had. Our extra man O needs help.

Kids are fighting though.

So is the decision to start the shot clock a subjective decision by the officials?

Originally posted by ClassOf02:
So is the decision to start the shot clock a subjective decision by the officials?
Yes. Stupidest rule in sports

Great effort. We punch in a few close ones and lower the unforced turnovers and we win that one. Lots to take away.

Thx for the heads up. Tough loss. I'm still trying to understand Hopkins in the B1G, but great for the conference.

Hopkins had to join a conference. With the number of teams in the tourney and the number of about qualifiers, making the tourney as an at large was getting increasingly difficult.

With Maryland in the B1G, adding their biggest rival and most storied program was a no brainer. I'm sure the academic side is great too.

My dad took us to a lot of Princeton lax games including most of the Hopkins games growing up. I don't have a lot of experience watching bad lacrosse games, but it wasn't played in towns in NJ like it is today. I've always viewed Rutgers as a good program, and with better local talent available now and the B1G, I'm hoping for good things to come.

Originally posted by Caliknight:
Hopkins had to join a conference. With the number of teams in the tourney and the number of about qualifiers, making the tourney as an at large was getting increasingly difficult.

With Maryland in the B1G, adding their biggest rival and most storied program was a no brainer. I'm sure the academic side is great too.
I don't mind this set up for now for the reasons mentioned. But they're DIII in everything else.

Sure would be nice to see another B1G school or two start a men's program.

Agreed, but as hopkins is related, it doesn't matter. It would be like Notre a Dame offering their football team to your conference. The rest doesn't really matter. You take them.

Pretty good game. Pleasantly surprised after the early season results. And they really need to aggressively address the shot clock and stalling. Lax is a great game when teams are aggressively attacking the goal.

Agreed, but as hopkins is related, it doesn't matter. It would be like Notre a Dame offering their football team to your conference. The rest doesn't really matter. You take them.
Again, It's a mutual thing for now. Just like they needed a home we needed the numbers. If the others step up I'd like to see this arrangement revisited down the road.

Other than this they are not what you would call a prototypical B1G school, yes?

Btw, liked what I saw in G today. And I also liked what heard from the commentators on ESPNU.

Originally posted by e5fdny:

I don't mind this set up for now for the reasons mentioned. But they're DIII in everything else.

Sure would be nice to see another B1G school or two start a men's program.
With this win HOP is 4-5 and though they have the #2 SOS this is not a great Hopkins team. I think Md will beat them and they will be out of the NCAAs which is THE reason they joined the B10 >to get the AQ if they won the B10

JHOP is a stopgap. I hope another actual B10 school starts a lax team and we can cut them loose.

Originally posted by e5fdny:
Again, It's a mutual thing for now. Just like they needed a home we needed the numbers. If the others step up I'd like to see this arrangement revisited down the road.
Why? Their lacrosse team is preeminent program in the game.

The acc would take them in an NY minute.

JHU is a AAU member and the biggest (and by a whole lot) research school in the US. They are also the strongest brand name in LAX. In fact down the road I would love to see them have their women;s team join the B1G and the school join the CIC.

Coach Brecht and staff and players needs to find the formula for winning. Close losses and moral victories don't count at Div-1 level.

Originally posted by mikefla:

With this win HOP is 4-5 and though they have the #2 SOS this is not a great Hopkins team. I think Md will beat them and they will be out of the NCAAs which is THE reason they joined the B10 >to get the AQ if they won the B10

JHOP is a stopgap. I hope another actual B10 school starts a lax team and we can cut them loose.
They all have teams except for Northwestern just not at the D1 level. They play at the club level which has 95 colleges all over the US see link...Michigan wasn't D1 until 2012. The big thing is the University able to fund it at the D1 level as most of these club teams are self funded. For Mich State thats the problem as per this article from 2013 MSU paper http://statenews.com/article/2013/07/despite-history-msu-not-adding-varsity-lacrosse so cant see any of the other club teams stepping up soon as MSU was the next one I thought would due to their success and longevity at that level.

As for Hopkins Yes It needed a conference as the at large bids are shrinking and the BIG needed a team to get the AQ. I still like it and as others mentioned the U as a whole fits the BIG academic profile and is a power in the sport though having a down year. I see the BIG becoming just as powerful as the ACC in the near future as OSU, Mich PSU and hopefully RU will step up their programs to the Mayland/Hopkins level.

Link

I don't like "affiliated" schools in a conference as a general rule, but you take Johns Hopkins for lacrosse faster than you take Notre Dame for football. (I get the financial difference, I'm merely talking on the field.)

And as noted above, Hopkins is AAU and one of the best research institutions in the world. Happy to be associated with them, and very happy to be playing them every year.

Agree with all the positives mentioned about the Blue Jays in the thread.

But like BoroKnight, not really a fan of the affiliated/associate thing. Seems too BE-ish IMO.

As I said earlier...I see the mutual pluses for both in this arrangement but would prefer another school (or two) get going for this down the road.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT