ADVERTISEMENT

RU Recruiting Class Ranked #15 by Flo

I think that's a fair and good ranking. We have 3 studs who have a had success at the national level as well as the state level. The class also filled out with some solid depth (Clark) and development (Epperly and Desantis) guys as well.

Last edited:
Who runs point on recruiting Ohio. Seems they do pretty well. Had a few in the last couple years commit. Also what happened to recruiting NY. Seems its been a while.

2020 is a solid class.. think Flo shoulda ranked Poz a little higher and Howard a little lower on the big board but we will c...perhaps more surprising is Ohio state and Arizona state with 0 top 100 recruits..

Looking a little forward into our 2021 class... we got #4 Kyonte, #27 Olivieri, and Several big nj/pa/nyc names left on big board that didn’t commit yet... have to believe if we land #2 SVN that this would be our best class ever.. future is bright

Check out the Intermat rankings. We look good

With Gilman and Zain at Penn State and Yanni and Nahshon at Cornell it is hard to imagine Van Ness at RU

With Gilman and Zain at Penn State and Yanni and Nahshon at Cornell it is hard to imagine Van Ness at RU

Van Ness may choose to go elsewhere but it won’t be due to a lack of training partners. RU and the NJRTC has Ashnault, Graff, Meredith, Kolodzik and Reece all around his weight. That is arguably better than both PSU and Cornell.

I want to but internet rankings r behind a paywall.. any noticeable diff in rankings from flo’s ?

2020 is a solid class.. think Flo shoulda ranked Poz a little higher and Howard a little lower on the big board but we will c...perhaps more surprising is Ohio state and Arizona state with 0 top 100 recruits..

Looking a little forward into our 2021 class... we got #4 Kyonte, #27 Olivieri, and Several big nj/pa/nyc names left on big board that didn’t commit yet... have to believe if we land #2 SVN that this would be our best class ever.. future is bright

Hopefully we see a big leap from Weaver as well as he settles in/fills out at 152

RU and the NJRTC has Ashnault, Graff, Meredith, Kolodzik and Reece all around his weight. That is arguably better than both PSU and Cornell.

FoxRU - I respectfully disagree. We have a good RTC and got two guys on the world team. We just don't compared to the NLWC or the FLWC. These clubs have multiple all Americans, World Champions, and even two Olympic Gold Medalists. Reece is a good coach. But, these clubs have multiple coaches whose wrestling credentials are much better.

I want SVN at Rutgers and there are a lot reasons why he should attend. We just can compare RTCs and with a straight face and say the NJRTC is better. If we did, the Van Ness family would laugh at us. They know wrestling.

We have Ashnault a one-time national champ. He is the only resident athletic who is national champion that is associated with the NJRTC. Look at the NLWC: Zain is a 3-time national champ and won the Hodge twice. Gomez was a one-time national champ. They also have Jordan Conway a two time All American and Gilman who was a three-time AA and a World Silver Medalist. They also have guys named Snyder (Olympic Gold) Taylor (2 time Hodge winner), and Nickel. Plus Jake Varner who won an Olympic Gold is a coach along with Cael and others.

At Cornell, Nahshon's credentials are the same as Anthony's. Yanni has already won NCAA titles his first two years in college (one against Meredith) and is a 2-time cadet world champ. At the US Open Yanni beat Frank Molinaro, Jordan Oliver, and Zain. They also have Arujau who will be a sophomore. He recently beat Suriano, was silver medalist at the Cadet World games, and was an All American his freshman year. Their coaches Mike Grey, Gabe Dean, and Rob Koll all were world team placers. Also, Kyle Dake had a pretty good record (4 time national champion and world freestyle champion.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
SVN would not work out with Snyder, Taylor or Varner who are twice as heavy as him. Zain and Gilman make a difference. Ashnault destroyed Conway so forget about him. Cornell is excellent and Yanni will be there one year when SVN would be there. Depends if he wants to stay local or get away.

SVN would not work out with Snyder, Taylor or Varner who are twice as heavy as him. Zain and Gilman make a difference. Ashnault destroyed Conway so forget about him. Cornell is excellent and Yanni will be there one year when SVN would be there. Depends if he wants to stay local or get away.

WNG - pretty sure Conway never wrestled Ashnault as Conway wrestled 125 and 133. Could you check the records. My point was that Penn State and Cornell present more and better work out partners. Yanni does graduate in a year. I am sure he will stick around Finger Lakes. Wasn’t a knock on the SKWC. Just it is hard to keep pace with the big guns. As you said in another post, we need a big donor. If SVN goes somewhere, the fans shouldn’t get after the coaches.

Last edited:
Re. a championship culture and coaching credentials you are correct but your first post referred mainly to training partners. For someone at SVN’s weight we have, at least in terms of volume of quality wrestlers, arguably better training partners. Reece not only coaches but he wrestles everyday and is much closer in weight to SVN. At PSU there is Zain and Yianni plus RBY and Nolf will probably be there. Gomez, Taylor, etc can offer advice but are too big to wrestle with SVN in any meaningful way. And Sammy Alvarez is not too far behind RBY. At Cornell you have Yianni and Arujau. I didn’t realize Nahshon was back there. Dake (probably walks around at 180-185) Dean, etc are too big. SVN has enough talented training partners at RU to achieve any goal he sets for himself.

RU and the NJRTC has Ashnault, Graff, Meredith, Kolodzik and Reece all around his weight. That is arguably better than both PSU and Cornell.

FoxRU - I respectfully disagree. We have a good RTC and got two guys on the world team. We just don't compared to the NLWC or the FLWC. These clubs have multiple all Americans, World Champions, and even two Olympic Gold Medalists. Reece is a good coach. But, these clubs have multiple coaches whose wrestling credentials are much better.

I want SVN at Rutgers and there are a lot reasons why he should attend. We just can compare RTCs and with a straight face and say the NJRTC is better. If we did, the Van Ness family would laugh at us. They know wrestling.

We have Ashnault a one-time national champ. He is the only resident athletic who is national champion that is associated with the NJRTC. Look at the NLWC: Zain is a 3-time national champ and won the Hodge twice. Gomez was a one-time national champ. They also have Jordan Conway a two time All American and Gilman who was a three-time AA and a World Silver Medalist. They also have guys named Snyder (Olympic Gold) Taylor (2 time Hodge winner), and Nickel. Plus Jake Varner who won an Olympic Gold is a coach along with Cael and others.

At Cornell, Nahshon's credentials are the same as Anthony's. Yanni has already won NCAA titles his first two years in college (one against Meredith) and is a 2-time cadet world champ. At the US Open Yanni beat Frank Molinaro, Jordan Oliver, and Zain. They also have Arujau who will be a sophomore. He recently beat Suriano, was silver medalist at the Cadet World games, and was an All American his freshman year. Their coaches Mike Grey, Gabe Dean, and Rob Koll all were world team placers. Also, Kyle Dake had a pretty good record (4 time national champion and world freestyle champion.

Rutgers has national champions to train with in addition to a great bunch of wrestling partners mentioned above, a state of the art practice center, 5,000+ screaming/rabid fans, and a national coach of the year..to name a few. So there is a chance.

Last edited:
We have a great thing going here. Just don’t see how one can say no to Cael with Gilman and Zain in the room or say no to Koll with Yanni, Vito, and Nahshon in the room. There are many good logical reasons he should come to RU. But, when an 18 year old who is #1 and has Olympic dreams it is a hard battle to win. Ashnault was a different situation. His brother was a team captain and Ant grew up in our room.

Reactions: LETSGORU91
We have a great thing going here. Just don’t see how one can say no to Cael with Gilman and Zain in the room or say no to Koll with Yanni, Vito, and Nahshon in the room. There are many good logical reasons he should come to RU. But, when an 18 year old who is #1 and has Olympic dreams it is a hard battle to win. Ashnault was a different situation. His brother was a team captain and Ant grew up in our room.
Ashnault had a much tougher spot imo.. RU didn’t have AA and national champs at that time.. no state of art facility, not many training partner for Ash..

SVN grew up down the street from Rutgers and has been around the program his whole life similar to Ashnault. His dad wrestled at Rutgers and was also a team captain. He has just as many ties as Ashnault did, plus it’s a better “destination” now. At the end of the day it’s the kids choice and if he wants something new/different he will go out of state. I don’t think training partners, facilities, coaching etc... would be the reason he doesn’t choose Rutgers. If he doesn’t come here it’s simply because he wants to get out of NJ for a new experience.

SVN grew up down the street from Rutgers and has been around the program his whole life similar to Ashnault. His dad wrestled at Rutgers and was also a team captain. He has just as many ties as Ashnault did, plus it’s a better “destination” now. At the end of the day it’s the kids choice and if he wants something new/different he will go out of state. I don’t think training partners, facilities, coaching etc... would be the reason he doesn’t choose Rutgers. If he doesn’t come here it’s simply because he wants to get out of NJ for a new experience.
I think SVN is thinking Ivy League.

I think SVN is thinking Ivy League.
Lots of Blair kids end up at Ivys and it’s the smart decision. If my kid could get a scholarship to wrestle at Princeton vs Penn state vs Rutgers, I’d advise him to choose Princeton due to the education and future career.

He has a free ride to whatever school he chooses. The family will have an influence on where he goes which is normal.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT