ADVERTISEMENT

RU ticket office

read option

All Conference
Nov 12, 2013
My son won a prize from his school for 4 tickets to the PSU game. What came in the envelope he brought home aren’t the tickets themselves, but a document from RU with a phone number to call and redeem.

When I call it takes me the RU sports marketing department where nobody picks up. The voicemail references picking up tickets for the Wagner game?! Doesn’t seem too well monitored considering that game was almost 2 months ago.

Then I try to call the main RU ticket office number - again nobody picks up.

I can kind of see nobody in the Marketing department picking up (although Marketing is really an extension of Sales), but to not have anyone manning the ticket office who can pick up the phone when someone calls? Typical amateur hour RU athletics at its finest. Maybe they should run out of hot dog buns on dollar dog night again.

My son won a prize from his school for 4 tickets to the PSU game. What came in the envelope he brought home aren’t the tickets themselves, but a document from RU with a phone number to call and redeem.

When I call it takes me the RU sports marketing department where nobody picks up. The voicemail references picking up tickets for the Wagner game?! Doesn’t seem too well monitored considering that game was almost 2 months ago.

I can kind of see nobody in the Marketing department picking up (although Marketing is really an extension of Sales), but to not have anyone manning the ticket office who can pick up the phone when someone calls? Typical amateur hour RU athletics at its finest. Maybe they should run out of hot dog buns on dollar dog night again.
Rutgers gonna Rutgers.
Get this- went through the same thing regarding one of the main places you would call to make big donations. Multiple phone calls to multiple numbers on the website all went to voice mail or got disconnected.
We gave to the Salvation Army instead.

As my kid says a lot (current RU senior), "Dad, it's Rutgers. What do you expect?"

It's a shame. After years of having great experiences with the ticket office and my reps, the last two have been a nightmare. I have been assigned a new rep so we'll see how that goes. They really find new ways to treat loyal season ticketholders and donors like crap.

Reactions: JamesDeanRutgers
Rutgers gonna Rutgers.
Get this- went through the same thing regarding one of the main places you would call to make big donations. Multiple phone calls to multiple numbers on the website all went to voice mail or got disconnected.
We gave to the Salvation Army instead.

As my kid says a lot (current RU senior), "Dad, it's Rutgers. What do you expect?"
That is just a sad story, but the Salvation Army says, "Thank you!"

It's a shame. After years of having great experiences with the ticket office and my reps, the last two have been a nightmare. I have been assigned a new rep so we'll see how that goes. They really find new ways to treat loyal season ticketholders and donors like crap.
There is turnover as employees find higher paying jobs after gaining some experience.

The Marketing number picked up later this afternoon. Tickets are on the way. Maybe I spoke too soon.

OK, so how about adequately training new employees.
The problem is customer service and the ability to deliver it even after it's been trained well (assuming it has, of course).

Many people wouldn't know customer service if it slapped them in the face. They just don't know what it looks like, even if they've been the occasional recipient of it. And then to be in position to provide it can be beyond some people's capacity. I've noticed this again and again over the years.

The problem is customer service and the ability to deliver it even after it's been trained well (assuming it has, of course).

Many people wouldn't know customer service if it slapped them in the face. They just don't know what it looks like, even if they've been the occasional recipient of it. And then to be in position to provide it can be beyond some people's capacity. I've noticed this again and again over the years.
At our new employee orientation, one of the first things we emphasize is that when our client's contact us (rarely by phone anymore, and mostly by e-mail), they have an inquiry and likely a problem that they need an answer to asap). Responding right away is the highest priority, and if the employee who receives the message does not have an answer, they must forward the inquiry to a manager/partner. Without our clients and new clients, we don't exist. It's not very complicated. One of the items we receive compliments on frequently is our responsiveness. The message has to come from the top and continually emphasized.

At our new employee orientation, one of the first things we emphasize is that when our client's contact us (rarely by phone anymore, and mostly by e-mail), they have an inquiry and likely a problem that they need an answer to asap). Responding right away is the highest priority, and if the employee who receives the message does not have an answer, they must forward the inquiry to a manager/partner. Without our clients and new clients, we don't exist. It's not very complicated. One of the items we receive compliments on frequently is our responsiveness. The message has to come from the top and continually emphasized.
I really believe there is an art to this too. Even if you don’t have an answer , my policy is to get back to the person/client and stall them to at least know their inquiry was received and we care and working on it …

Absolutely, responsiveness can go a long way in engendering customer loyalty.

Reactions: Leonard23
Even when things get screwed up, either by the client, other factors, and even us sometimes. Avis used to have a saying, "We try harder." That is brought up in training. When we have successes and compliments for a job well done, that is shared with everyone (we are a small business), and we often point out that trying harder and solving the client's problem sets us apart. We often share customer service disaster stories outside of work as teaching moments and for comic relief.

Reactions: RUnTeX
There is turnover as employees find higher paying jobs after gaining some experience.
And.....
Just accept sh!tty service?

When you lose good people to better opportunities (good for them) you hire and train the next generation. Nobody is asking them to cure cancer. We're talking about answering the phone. Basic communication. This is a leadership issue, not a worker issue.
My interactions with staff have always been pleasant and constructive.
What will they do if there is ever actual demand? Sellouts won't always be fake we hope.

Last edited:
It is also bad business

You are an existing customer that they are making angry
Maybe you stop buying their product in the future

The next phone call could be a potential new customer, with a few inquiries before he buys, needs to find a thing or two out first
It could be someone interested in buying a huge block of tickets for a group
and the school lets the phone ring, or it goes to a voice mail that doesn’t get returned

I was in business for decades and never went to any automated system during normal business hours
You called, you got a live person within a few rings. Did it that way because it was more personable, maybe a bit inconvenient here and there, but the way I preferred it

Last edited:
If it was a business I owned, I would come and observe what is happening, why the phone keeps ringing, then address that

Reactions: RUnTeX

The thing was, even with some turnover over the years, it was never bad until recently. I just got stuck with an unresponsive rep who would not return calls or e-mails. I'm hoping this one is better. I understand it's sort of an entry level job and people move on, but you still should take pride in whatever you are doing at the time.

What will they do if there is ever actual demand? Sellouts won't always be fake we hope.
I was thinking the same thing. Once the sellouts are real and not made up by the Rutgers athletic department, the ticket office won't be able to handle the extra 15-20K fans per game if they don't start getting their act together sooner rather than later.

The thing was, even with some turnover over the years, it was never bad until recently. I just got stuck with an unresponsive rep who would not return calls or e-mails. I'm hoping this one is better. I understand it's sort of an entry level job and people move on, but you still should take pride in whatever you are doing at the time.
The ticket office has been hit or miss the past few years. I've had some good reps and some reps that have literally disappeared and I dont find out till I call and they tell me the person hasn't been working there for a while (with no notice the person left and my requests for seat relocations floating around in the wind). The person on the phone says they will help me and can contact them for assistance in the future (Jack was great at this time and ,knocked it out of the park). Then I get multiple emails from different contacts introducing themselves as my new ticket rep. The department needs to be organized much better imo.

Reactions: RUnTeX and RUPete
If it was a business I owned, I would come and observe what is happening, why the phone keeps ringing, then address that
If it was a business I owned the main phone line would be forwarded to every phone in the office until it was answered. Including mine.

That feature has existed for decades.Anyone excusing the folks running the office either work there or have no clue.
Or both

Reactions: wheezer

Never had that problem at ticket office,never ever. And they get back to me promptly if I leave a message. Sometimes I find these negative comments so out of whack with reality it's crazy.

Reactions: Unionst and TRU2RU
Never had that problem at ticket office,never ever. And they get back to me promptly if I leave a message. Sometimes I find these negative comments so out of whack with reality it's crazy.
Why is it "out of whack" when it's an actual experience someone had? I don't consider myself a complainer on these boards and my experience with my last rep was terrible, which was "out of whack" with my previous ticket office experience.

NOBODY ever answers the phone.Always have to leave a message. Just think of how many Ticket sales that are lost in multiple sports by people who just say F it,hang up and dont leave a message?

Why is it "out of whack" when it's an actual experience someone had? I don't consider myself a complainer on these boards and my experience with my last rep was terrible, which was "out of whack" with my previous ticket office experience.
You guys must just be the unlucky ones and many of us are just the lucky ones??? I doubt it, I've been a season ticket holder for over 35 years and always had very good and helpful reps. Even after they left and were replaced-- I guess I'm due to hit the power ball.

You guys must just be the unlucky ones and many of us are just the lucky ones??? I doubt it, I've been a season ticket holder for over 35 years and always had very good and helpful reps. Even after they left and were replaced-- I guess I'm due to hit the power ball.
Man, doubling down on stupid. Yeah, I’m so difficult and demanding with reps. You have no clue here.

Man, doubling down on stupid. Yeah, I’m so difficult and demanding with reps. You have no clue here.
You sound like an ass so yes. I guess you think my experience is the exception-- I doubt it but like I said I must be the lucky one and your just an unlucky bas___d.

You sound like an ass so yes. I guess you think my experience is the exception-- I doubt it but like I said I must be the lucky one and your just an unlucky bas___d.
Project much? You’re a nasty old codger who constantly picks fights on this board. Please don’t interact with me in the future.

No. But I'm questioning if you have a rep why are wasting your time calling the main line when you have a rep....whose sole job is to answer your calls.
What are you talking about?
The OP's kid won tickets and was calling to claim them. NOBODY ANSWERED THE PHONE.
The discussion that I'm taking part in is about how simple it should be for the phone to ring and somebody answer it at the state university athletics office.
The fact that nobody did and that there is no mechanism to prevent it is on those in charge.
As I posted earlier, I have had nothing but good interactions with the front facing staff. It's not on them.
My observation was that it is a very easily solvable issue. Thought I was pretty clear, but maybe I wasn't.
The general public doesn't have a rep and a private #. When they call the office, somebody should answer. It's business 101.

Project much? You’re a nasty old codger who constantly picks fights on this board. Please don’t interact with me in the future.
Hey genius YOU responded to my positive comment about the ticket office and I'd rather be an " old codger" than a dumb f.

Reactions: RU-AGK
My ticket rep is awesome. Every time I have a problem he answers the phone.

I find it hard to believe that you can not request to speak to a manager to get a problem resolved or moved to new ticket agent.

I have had season tickets for 40 years, I’ve had a few reps now. Everyone of them has been has been great. I think they do a good job over there. There is some turnover. Maybe in the future they can pay a little more so they stick around.

Hey genius YOU responded to my positive comment about the ticket office and I'd rather be an " old codger" than a dumb f.
Yes, but then you subsequently went off the rails, which you do often. Thank you for your classy response. This will be my last post on this - you're not worth another second of my attention.

My ticket rep is awesome. Every time I have a problem he answers the phone.

I find it hard to believe that you can not request to speak to a manager to get a problem resolved or moved to new ticket agent.
I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and only do that as a last resort, which I did have to do one time. But as I said before, this was one rep over many years. I have no idea what the issue was, but my new rep seems to be very responsive.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT