ADVERTISEMENT

RU vs Michigan 2pm 1/26/20 game thread

The women very likely will not make the NCAA ladies tournament... something is amiss other than C Viv needs to consider some things other than her infamous 55 D which hasn’t done her well lately.

Stringer getting out coached. This is beyond ridiculous. Time to herd to pasture. Unfortunately I believe RU is tied to pay her for some kind of coaching emeritus after she retires.

Last edited by a moderator:
Two post players fouled out? Gilles and Singleton both power forwards, correct?

Embarrassing 55-34

Ive always said Kim Barnes Arrico would be a great coach coming back to the nyc area
No. Or at least, make a case. She has never shown that she is anything resembling an elite coach (or likely to become one), which I think is what RU fans are (or should be) demanding. She is a good coach, but I have never been a supporter of the idea.

My number 1 choice for a future Rutgers coach went to UNC, boo hiss. I don't currently have a favorite.

Need more minutes for Zippy and Davenport to develop for rest of this season and next.

Reactions: RU MAN
I hope someone asks in the post-game press conference the thinking behind keeping the starters in the final two minutes.

Zippy had a good game. All of KK´s TOs were in the first half, so she cleaned up that very well, as did the team. Most of the stats evened out except shooting percentage. Both teams were about even until about mid-3Q when RU started missing more but UM remained above 50%. Got walloped in the paint today.

I was hoping we'd rebound (no pun intended) after that terrible loss at home against MSU, who then got blown out in their next game to Northwestern by 28 points. To lose by 14 to an okay above average Michigan, just shows the good feelings of starting out 15-2, then 15-3 and now 15-4 was a mirage. I don't see any adjustments made to change that now. As some have said above, this team may show they're not even good enough to make the tourney. I hope they figure things out and get on the right path forward. I also hope C Viv. gives Davenport and Zippy more playing time. It's ridiculous that they're not playing enough minutes to get the experience needed.

Last edited:
Looking not so hot right now and maybe time to start panicking.
But I'll put it (for now) a cold spell that must
be overcome.

Losses mount up enough to be kept out of the tourney and I might just join those who ( for years) have been calling for CVS' head on a platter.
I'll hold off doing that because I have faith Stringer hasn't lost her edge, just that the edge has been rounded a bit and she needs to get the problem causing the type of play happening now to stop and find ways to win.

be overcome.

Losses mount up enough to be kept out of the tourney and I might just join those who ( for years) have been calling for CVS' head on a platter.
I'll hold off doing that because I have faith Stringer hasn't lost her edge, just that the edge has been rounded a bit and she needs to get the problem causing the type of play happening now to stop and find ways to win.
I would agree with you if it was a defensive issue that needed correcting.

be overcome.

She has lost her edge for about 5 years now,

She's not going anywhere till after 2020-21 season. No way after Hobbs just signed Schiano is the BOG going to eat a $925k fully guaranteed salary for a women's basketball coach. She'll get one more year after this even if the team tanks, let's hope it doesn't come to that.

Last edited:
Reactions: fairhavenfool
Pat Summit would have fired herself if she did what CVS has done the past 10 years.
compared to other programs and the institutional support WBB received
not great, but not too shabby either.
Rutgers was a good program most of the ten years you're trying to imply mediocrity, Vivian just didn't have the great teams we had come to expect.

2009–10 Rutgers 18–15 9–7 T-6th NCAA First round
2010–11 Rutgers 20–13 11–5 4th NCAA Second Round
2011–12 Rutgers 20–13 10–6 6th NCAA First round
2012–13 Rutgers 16–14 7–9 T-9th
Rutgers Scarlet Knights (American Athletic Conference) (2013–2014)
2013–14 Rutgers 28–9 12–6 4th WNIT Champions
Rutgers Scarlet Knights (Big Ten Conference) (2014–present)
2014–15 Rutgers 23–10 12–6 5th NCAA Second Round
2015–16 Rutgers 19–15 7–9 8th WNIT Second Round
2016–17 Rutgers 6-24 3-13 14th
2017–18 Rutgers 20–12 7–9 9th
2018–19 Rutgers 22-10 13-5 3rd NCAA First Round

Pat Summit would have fired herself if she did what CVS has done the past 10 years.
Pat Summit would have bailed just like Theresa did, once Pat realized how little support she would be receiving from the RU Administration.

It might be different now with Hobbs as AD, but during CVS' tenure the only thing RU WBB had going for it was Stringer and those who think a top name among the up and coming coaches would take the RU WBB HC position are only fooling themselves, or lying about it.

One thing I notice when things are going bad for the RU WBB Team is:
some posters who posted infrequently while the wins were coming, increase their post count the moment things have turned sour.

note: that don't include the posters that complain a lot, but do it during wins and give praise as well if they feel it's deserved.

Some that just post mainly after loses and infrequently after wins seem to feel giving praise to the WBB program is akin to having a root canal .

As for me: Ill stick by Vivian for a little while longer.
Last time I started questioning my faith in her, the program started turning into a good one again and can't give up now after a few bad games since the record is still a good one.
But I know, from seeing some posters' agenda by the way they post on this board , all it takes is one bad game to get
the anti-Viv crowd on its feet ready to boot her out.

Rutgers was a good program most of the ten years you're trying to imply mediocrity, Vivian just didn't have the great teams we had come to expect.

I think there is more to the wish for CVS to get fired or retire than one losing season in 10 years. This is especially evident when those calls are made only after losses. I honestly think the usual suspects do not follow women´s basketball. RU surpassed predictions last season and, to date, is at or a little above expectations this season. The MSU loss at home was unexpected, but the prediction is to lose most of the road games. I really hoped to snag a win today to get back on track for a top three or four finish in the B1G. Still possible but much more difficult--well, very difficult--with the remaining schedule. Need to win at home Thursday so there is no skid. Two consecutive losses at this point is not the end of the season.

compared to other programs and the institutional support WBB received
not great, but not too shabby either.

2009–10 Rutgers 18–15 9–7 T-6th NCAA First round
2010–11 Rutgers 20–13 11–5 4th NCAA Second Round
2011–12 Rutgers 20–13 10–6 6th NCAA First round
2012–13 Rutgers 16–14 7–9 T-9th
Rutgers Scarlet Knights (American Athletic Conference) (2013–2014)
2013–14 Rutgers 28–9 12–6 4th WNIT Champions
Rutgers Scarlet Knights (Big Ten Conference) (2014–present)
2014–15 Rutgers 23–10 12–6 5th NCAA Second Round
2015–16 Rutgers 19–15 7–9 8th WNIT Second Round
2016–17 Rutgers 6-24 3-13 14th
2017–18 Rutgers 20–12 7–9 9th
2018–19 Rutgers 22-10 13-5 3rd NCAA First Round

5 of last 7 years no ncaa and only 2 ncaa wins in 10 years..havent made the sweet 16 in 11 years..wow

Reactions: richthedentist
I don't see the glass as half empty as you do. We both should realize that.
And of course I am familiar with the history. Are you familiar with the fact that we are in a different conference for the last 5 years?

You mean the conference without UConn Louisville and Notre Dame..what is your point

This loss was expected and entirely predictable. Get used to them

This is what I've been concerned about. I'm afraid you may be right. I'm always hopeful but, outside of Arella, there is no one on this squad that any opponent would fear. A couple of the other have their moments here and there but are not consistent at all.

I don't know what the answer is, but it kills me to see 5-star players on our roster who barely contribute. Seems we should be better than we are.

So the progression in the B1G is 14th to 9th to 3rd the previous three seasons. To my eyes and functioning brain, that looks like things are improving under the coach after a dip.

5 of last 7 years no ncaa and only 2 ncaa wins in 10 years..havent made the sweet 16 in 11 years..wow
Rutgers sports programs have had a hard time reaching elite status and though not the greatest, the Women have proved to be the team that comes closest to that.
Don't think for a second that the lack of support the RU Administration gave to its Athlete programs didn't have a hand in their performance and that was surly seen the way football preformed after Schiano left in 2011 and the way RU MBB was before Hobbs became the AD.

RU FB fans might gripe about Hobbs not hiring Greg right away, but Hobbs put RU MBB on the right track and you can expect if he thought Vivian wasn't doing a good job, she'd been forced to retire or terminated instead of extended.

Reactions: Rusty_Screw_88
You mean the conference without UConn Louisville and Notre Dame..what is your point
Woopty doo. Not quite sure what your point is. Maybe the B1G is a deeper conference than the old Big East.
What's your solution? Fire a coaching legend, or let her ride out gracefully on her own terms? Many people would say the latter as long as the program did not turn into a losing program.

Reactions: ScarletteK80
Pat Summit would have bailed just like Theresa did, once Pat realized how little support she would be receiving from the RU Administration.

It might be different now with Hobbs as AD, but during CVS' tenure the only thing RU WBB had going for it was Stringer and those who think a top name among the up and coming coaches would take the RU WBB HC position are only fooling themselves, or lying about it.

One thing I notice when things are going bad for the RU WBB Team is:
some posters who posted infrequently while the wins were coming, increase their post count the moment things have turned sour.

note: that don't include the posters that complain a lot, but do it during wins and give praise as well if they feel it's deserved.

Some that just post mainly after loses and infrequently after wins seem to feel giving praise to the WBB program is akin to having a root canal .

As for me: Ill stick by Vivian for a little while longer.
Last time I started questioning my faith in her, the program started turning into a good one again and can't give up now after a few bad games since the record is still a good one.
But I know, from seeing some posters' agenda by the way they post on this board , all it takes is one bad game to get
the anti-Viv crowd on its feet ready to boot her out.
Just a couple - well, 3 - points -

1 - As I pointed out a while back, there was "more" to TG's departure than simply lack of support (although that was, indeed, part of it). In large part, while it wasn't always wonderful, I would say that Vivian got the support she needed. Sometimes slowly, but . . .

2 - As I have also pointed out, (and combining 2 of your points), not only do I like Vivian and expect some success to continue but I also fail to see how you guarantee success when you make a coaching change. I don't really ever complain about how she coaches the team for games, since there are so many factors we are not privy to and most of us are simply not coaches. I always was reluctant to comment and since I don't see the games I am more-so.

and 3 - One of the "numbers" types who posted - either here or on the Boneyard, I don't remember but thought it might have been there - pointed out that one of the ranking services that considers itself "predictive" has Rutgers losing most of their remaining games - and had that before today's game. This is truly at least partly due to the OOC schedule, I'm sure, but it is also a reality check. If their "prediction" is correct, it would be difficult to see Rutgers making the NCAA's, but I am hoping for better. Today was not, however, encouraging.

Reactions: Rusty_Screw_88
Woopty doo. Not quite sure what your point is. Maybe the B1G is a deeper conference than the old Big East.
What's your solution? Fire a coaching legend, or let her ride out gracefully on her own terms? Many people would say the latter as long as the program did not turn into a losing program.
I would agree with you if their was a date certain for a retirement and change of head coaches.To her credit Stringer was the only head coach who could attract high school all americans on a consistent basis but the team performance has gone down hill since the last final four appearance.Great defensive coach but has failed to incorporate the 3 point shot into the offense.

That is two lousy performances in a row. Next three opponents are at the bottom of the conference standings so we need to sweep those three if we are going to dance this year. It is hard to see us winning against top foes unless the offense gets more dangerous. Seems like we live off of the defense leading to easy buckets, and when those aren't there it gets ugly. I don't know how we fix it midyear but it is going to be the key to achieving the results we want for the team.

I would agree with you if their was a date certain for a retirement and change of head coaches.To her credit Stringer was the only head coach who could attract high school all americans on a consistent basis but the team performance has gone down hill since the last final four appearance.Great defensive coach but has failed to incorporate the 3 point shot into the offense.
Not only the 3 pt shot. Unless it's an uncontested breakaway layup normal shots just don't fall. Center can't gather herself before putting up a shot. Too many passes are telegraphed and intercepted. It's great to attract HS AA's but they get here and their offense dies.
What's with not calling timeouts? What's with sitting on the bench like the 3rd string center instead of standing up and coaching the players. Those are things that got my blood boiling in this game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT