ADVERTISEMENT

RU vs Nebraska game thread 7PM 2/5 on BTN

46-43 final....there is no way this team should be pleased with this performance..sure its a win but this team is going absolutely nowhere in the ncaa tourney if they keep the shaky level of play up....offense is in trouble and suddenly no bench at all.

This post was edited on 2/5 9:04 PM by bac2therac

Not pretty, but since we entered the rankings, it's our first W vs. a higher ranked team. It moves us - at least for now - into 3rd place in the conference. I'll take it.
smile.r191677.gif

Got the win, but--damn!!--free throws almost got us. Feels a lot better to analyze a win than it does to analyze a loss.

Go Knights!

Well its 2 in a row over top 25 teams. Plus at least now we are hanging on for the win, rather than losing at the end like with Tenn and UNC. We are getting there, these are good teams we are beating. Come tourny time we will be battle tested.

WOW what a game.
I said in the prediction thread this was gonna be a tough one.

have to give the other coach credit, she make some great counter moves. Crowding Cooper so she couldn't really get her baseline drive,. and 1 on Cynthia. They were ready for us.

This team will do some great things in the tourney.

just got back from game. tyler I am sorry was terrible. She needs to slow down. Some of the turnovers are bad. RU should have won this game by at least 10 points. Lucky the point guard did not play.

"Got the win, but--damn!!--free throws almost got us. Feels a lot better to analyze a win than it does to analyze a loss."

FT's? Gawd, we shot 19-59/32.2, and Nebraska shot 15-68/22%, now that is UGLY.

A defensive struggle. Nebraska is good. Glad to get the win. Our offense needs improvement. What else is new? Oh well, womens basketball remains our best sports team. Hats off the CVS.

Originally posted by shields:

just got back from game. tyler I am sorry was terrible. She needs to slow down. Some of the turnovers are bad. RU should have won this game by at least 10 points. Lucky the point guard did not play.
It was obvious that something was physically wrong with Tyler tonight. Each time she came out of the game she went over to the end of the bench near the trainer. She didn't come out for the start of the 2nd half and was in and out of the lineup. Despite the problems, she was there down the stretch when we needed her.

And nobody felt felt sorry for us when our point guard missed several games.

Was at game and if she was sick then I am sorry. She needs to slow down a little especially when we have the lead. And congrats to Coach Stringer.
This post was edited on 2/5 9:59 PM by shields

Originally posted by shields:

Was at game and if she was sick then I am sorry. She needs to slow down a little especially when we have the lead. And congrats to Coach Stringer.
This post was edited on 2/5 9:59 PM by shields
And I dont disagree with you that sometimes she plays out of control but she is fun to watch when she's hitting!

Just finished watching the game - I'd recorded it on BTN. That was pretty darned ugly, but it's a big win for this team, as they start to play for seeding.

For people who were at the game, I did want to report something Vera Jones said about Syessence after one of her steals:

"Oh,
where on Earth does she come from?"

She was in awe.

How could anyone be happy with that performance? It was awful. Stringer's love affair with Davis and gross mismanagement of Canty and Hollivay will be this team's downfall. No question about it.

Originally posted by BeKnighted:
For people who were at the game, I did want to report something Vera Jones said about Syessence after one of her steals:

"Oh,
where on Earth does she come from?"

She was in awe.
Essie has been plying lights out defense and she seems to be getting better each game. She created havoc underneath when their bigs hesitated with the ball. She took some ill-advised shots on offense, in my opinion, but geez, she drove the Huskers crazy.

On defense, Laney was intense and really into it. She was giving their star post player Cady, who has a few inches on her, fits on the perimeter, flailing her arms all over her (without fouling) and in her face and frustrated the heck out of her.

I liked Rachel's defense in the second half!

Very, very good defensive effort. Again, the refs were horrendous...unbelievable. At one point, alone on the perimeter the player Laney was defending pushed/extended her arms and possibly elbowed Laney, who fell a few feet backwards to the floor. NO call.

Originally posted by bballfan523:

How could anyone be happy with that performance? It was awful. Stringer's love affair with Davis and gross mismanagement of Canty and Hollivay will be this team's downfall. No question about it.
I think anyone who believes that 18-5 > 17-6 is at least somewhat happy with it.

I was at the game and forgot to record it, but it is on BTN again tonight.

Hate to ever call a beautiful female athlete a beast, but I bet the Nebraska players that were guarded by Laney, and Davis will see those two in their dreams tonight.

Originally posted by bballfan523:

Yeah, Davis is terrible. She just leads the B1G in steals and assist/turnover ratio. Stringer definitely should sit her.

Originally posted by ScarletteK80:
Hate to ever call a beautiful female athlete a beast, but I bet the Nebraska players that were guarded by Laney, and Davis will see those two in their dreams tonight.
Or their nightmares.

Offensively Davis is terrible. This team was playing their best basketball with the starting lineup of Canty, Scaife, Copper, Laney, and Hollivay. They were getting out in transition, which is what makes this team elite. Davis was providing defense off the bench, not playing 34+ minutes and running the show like she has been doing. With how awful Nebraska was tonight, they should of blown them out.

Has Coach Stringer ever thought to run a play for Canty or Hollivay in order to get them going? Maybe because they need them? Of course not. So much for Stringer's "new philosophy," because the last few games have been unwatchable. Despite the wins. (end rant)
This post was edited on 2/5 11:53 PM by bballfan523

Maybe some day all our sports programs will get to the point where we have fans slamming the team after a win over a Top 25 opponent, because the win wasn't pretty enough.

In the meantime, let's appreciate WBB.

"Maybe some day all our sports programs will get to the
point where we have fans slamming the team after a win over a Top 25
opponent, because the win wasn't pretty enough.

In the meantime, let's appreciate WBB."

Agreed. I recall watching a lot of the Nebraska-Duke game in the ACC-B1G Challenge earlier in the season, a game that Nebraska won. That is a very good team that RU defeated last night.

Nebraska's best player who scores 18ppg was out. They are an average team without her. This is a team I don't want to play in the Big 10 tourney on a neutral court

Agree 100%. We have now beaten the #21 and #19 ranked teams (at least when we played them). We lost close games to 2 top 10 teams too. Anyone can nit pick any win, but the bottom line is to win. When I watch any bb game there are always tons of things to complain about, not team is perfect. Some people prefer to dwell on the things that go wrong rather than the big picture, which is we beat the #19 team in a must-win game.

While Essie took some questionable shots, in my opinion, I cannot argue with a senior who is a heads-up player who turns the ball over at a very low rate (for OUR team, that is) and listens to her coach. I trust their decision-making.

On the subject of Essie: her defense = WOW!!

Originally posted by RUgrad:
Agree 100%. We have now beaten the #21 and #19 ranked teams (at least when we played them). We lost close games to 2 top 10 teams too. Anyone can nit pick any win, but the bottom line is to win. When I watch any bb game there are always tons of things to complain about, not team is perfect. Some people prefer to dwell on the things that go wrong rather than the big picture, which is we beat the #19 team in a must-win game.
We may bend but not break. When things get interesting our leaders step up to the plate. I think we be seasoned to win close tournament games.

Foul shots: I won't comment, but in the last minute or so we were at the line. You could hear a pin drop. Then, just before the shooting motion began there was a loud yell "SHOOTER" from...their head coach. Really, coach??

Originally posted by MC1974:

We may bend but not break. When things get interesting our leaders step up to the plate. I think we be seasoned to win close tournament games.

Foul shots: I won't comment, but in the last minute or so we were at the line. You could hear a pin drop. Then, just before the shooting motion began there was a loud yell "SHOOTER" from...their head coach. Really, coach??
She was just reminding her players to box out the free throw shooter.
rolleye0011.r191677.gif

The best basketball was actually played in the first 10 minutes, where Davis was a menace on defense and the team was getting out and scoring. Canty has been struggling since her return from injury, she's not being aggressive on offense for whatever reason. The team actually wanted to get the ball to Hollivay in the post, and did so on numerous occasions--the problem was Nebraska was double teaming Rachel almost every time she got the ball, and she was up and down on how she handled it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT