ADVERTISEMENT

Rule Question

loki_dog

Senior
Nov 3, 2006
Central Jersey
On the blocked field goal, I understand that the offensive team can advance the ball if recovered behind the line of scrimmage. Buti didn't think you could attempt a pass. Shouldn't that have been a penalty or at minimum been marked where the pass was attempted? The ball was attempted to be advanced by the kick (air), you shouldn't get two attempts. Similar to a batted pass?

Reactions: Rush12
A blocked field goal recovered behind the line of scrimmage may be advanced by either team. A blocked field goal that crosses the line of scrimmage may be advanced only by the defense. If the ball is muffed or fumbled, however, it's a free ball.

Reactions: redking
With the ball behind the line of scrimmage it is considered the same as a fumbled snap or a lateral. Basically a loose ball. A batted pass is not considered a loose ball like a fumble or a blocked kick that doesn't cross the LOS. Same with a punt block that lands behind the LOS it is considered a loose ball.

Something seems off on this rule. Seems advantageous to the offense. I would coach my players always to just chuck it down field.

One thing, on the blocked punt the kicker just threw it down the field and there was no receiver in sight. Could that not have been called intentional grounding?

Need more details. Was it a play where the punter had to scramble? Did the snap hit the ground? Was the punt blocked but he got ball behind LOS?

It is very rare that a punter is considered a passer therefor being a grounding penalty is rare.

Need more details. Was it a play where the punter had to scramble? Did the snap hit the ground? Was the punt blocked but he got ball behind LOS?

It is very rare that a punter is considered a passer therefor being a grounding penalty is rare.
My bad, I meant the blocked field goal and I corrected the original post.

It should have been grounding that was obvious but the referee crew were the village idiots

Reactions: PaRU102
My bad, I meant the blocked field goal and I corrected the original post.

No problem. The kicker in this instance is considered a runner but not a passer. He would be a passer if he got the ball from center or from an "intended method", Being a pitch or hand off from another player in a designed play. The difference is the blocked kick. It is a scramble play and any player is allow to throw the ball after recovering a loose ball behind the LOS. Remember a loose ball is different than a fumble. A loose ball can always be advanced by either team and a fumble can't. A loose ball also occurs when nobody has possession of the ball when it becomes a loose ball(the blocking of the kick). If the player who threw the ball threw it beyond the LOS and was outside the box then it is basically the same as a QB throwing it away but since the player is not considered a passer but a runner(because of how they got the ball) then there is no grounding. Basically they will let a kicker do anything to keep from getting killed. Ha

No problem. The kicker in this instance is considered a runner but not a passer. He would be a passer if he got the ball from center or from an "intended method", Being a pith or hand off from another player in a designed play. The difference is the blocked kick. It is a scramble play and any player is allow to throw the ball after recovering a loose ball behind the LOS. Remember a loose ball is different than a fumble. A loose ball can always be advanced by either team and a fumble can't. A loose ball also occurs when nobody has possession of the ball when it becomes a loose ball(the blocking of the kick). If the player who threw the ball threw it beyond the LOS and was outside the box then it is basically the same as a QB throwing it away but since the player is not considered a passer but a runner(because of how they got the ball) then there is no grounding. Basically they will let a kicker do anything to keep from getting killed. Ha
A very thorough reply, thanks.

Reactions: brodo
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT