ADVERTISEMENT

RUMLAX Lands Big Transfers

I think this will cool down over time....while I agree with @Caliknight ....The covid year really threw a lot of disruption into the rosters in the short term...I think the disruption will play out for about 2 more years and then you will see a more normal flow to roster retention and portal usage....keep in mind it's new...and every kid in the portal is not there for good reasons...

I think the perfect mix is still build your roster through strong recruiting, and then use the portal selectively to fill voids and to slot in final pieces to help round out a roster....

The leagues that are doing it the most are the ACC and the Big Ten....and high end one year portal guys are looking for two things...well, three

Playing time
Is the team close to winning/competing for a spot in the NCAA
Education...do they have a program for me

Look, I'm dealing with it a little with my boys....they both got the extra year...I told them the education part comes first...meaning you better sell me on how staying one more year can help you in your working life and go into a program that will increase your odds of employment

Brennan decided to stay in NJ...found a program and BB wanted him to stay...it worked and we're happy it did...while it never got to that point, there were some people here (friends, family, lacrosse types) that wanted him to come home and play the final year at Michigan....but he's finishing as a Scarlet Knight

As far as my other son...he's gonna be a junior school wise next year, he's ahead of schedule on an engineering track and he's got three more years to play lacrosse....and as Cali notes, coaches need to keep recruiting the guys they want...needless to say, many conversations Son2 has with the staff are about getting him planned in for his maters at Loyola...smart move on their part

It's just interesting...but I do believe it shifts out in a couple of years once the covid year has cycled through the rosters...

100%. This is a flash in time and if you aren't trying to take full advantage of this as a coach, it's a dereliction of duty.

Our HS recruiting is stronger than it's ever been. Once this cycles through, this portal thing won't be nearly as robust as it is now. But for now, it's a HUGE recruiting tool.

We just made our team significantly better on paper. Something every team out there is trying to do.

And we aren't done yet.

I think this will cool down over time....while I agree with @Caliknight ....The covid year really threw a lot of disruption into the rosters in the short term...I think the disruption will play out for about 2 more years and then you will see a more normal flow to roster retention and portal usage....keep in mind it's new...and every kid in the portal is not there for good reasons...

I think the perfect mix is still build your roster through strong recruiting, and then use the portal selectively to fill voids and to slot in final pieces to help round out a roster....

The leagues that are doing it the most are the ACC and the Big Ten....and high end one year portal guys are looking for two things...well, three

Playing time

Look, I'm dealing with it a little with my boys....they both got the extra year...I told them the education part comes first...meaning you better sell me on how staying one more year can help you in your working life and go into a program that will increase your odds of employment

Brennan decided to stay in NJ...found a program and BB wanted him to stay...it worked and we're happy it did...while it never got to that point, there were some people here (friends, family, lacrosse types) that wanted him to come home and play the final year at Michigan....but he's finishing as a Scarlet Knight

As far as my other son...he's gonna be a junior school wise next year, he's ahead of schedule on an engineering track and he's got three more years to play lacrosse....and as Cali notes, coaches need to keep recruiting the guys they want...needless to say, many conversations Son2 has with the staff are about getting him planned in for his maters at Loyola...smart move on their part

It's just interesting...but I do believe it shifts out in a couple of years once the covid year has cycled through the rosters...

RU has a lot more Masters programs, maybe he will want to come to NJ :)

Adding some size. The Salisbury kid is 6'4" 220. Gotta think he is going to fill in for Bullett, who was the heart of the close D, very nicely. Throw in 6'6" Bartolo who is a hammer from the outside in the Kirst mode and you have some tough assignments.

Apgar, JFF, Russo. Those are some beastly close guys.

In 2021, Burgdorf had a GAA of 12.36, and a save percentage of 50.9%, on a pretty poor Providence team that finished 4-9 and only scored 10.23 goals per game.

This is compared to Colin Kirst, who had a 10.77 GAA and a 56.6% save percentage on an RU team that finished the year ranked #6.

Somewhat difficult to compare what we're getting since PU struggled so much.

In 2021, Burgdorf had a GAA of 12.36, and a save percentage of 50.9%, on a pretty poor Providence team that finished 4-9 and only scored 10.23 goals per game.

This is compared to Colin Kirst, who had a 10.77 GAA and a 56.6% save percentage on an RU team that finished the year ranked #6.

Somewhat difficult to compare what we're getting since PU struggled so much.
We know our defense is miles better in front of our goalie than whatever scrubs Providence was throwing out there. That counts for something.

Reactions: Degaz-RU
While I am not sure he will replicate the year Colin had (who could), this kid is a high level goalie. With a much better D in front of him than he had at Providence, you'd like to think we will be ok there.

Kirst had one of the best goalie years I've seen. I really believe by the end of the year he was the best goalie in the country.

While I am not sure he will replicate the year Colin had (who could), this kid is a high level goalie. With a much better D in front of him than he had at Providence, you'd like to think we will be ok there.

Kirst had one of the best goalie years I've seen. I really believe by the end of the year he was the best goalie in the country.

2nd All-Team Big East behind McElroy. Certainly not as good out of the cage as Kirst, along with every other goalie in the country.

Reactions: Golfer2019
2nd All-Team Big East behind McElroy. Certainly not as good out of the cage as Kirst, along with every other goalie in the country.

He's a player, no doubt.

It would be something to have him and Kirst.

Playing time

Education as paramount is key and a great perspective.

Reactions: Golfer2019
Does not seem like an upgrade. Maybe some competition for the guys already here
More competition in the FOGO room...as we saw, some guys match up better than others...great to have another guy...I loved what Dugenio brought this year...but there were games (Michigan, Hopkins for two) that we were not good. Fact is it was still our biggest weakness as a team...and we were light years better this year than we were in 2019 and 2020....

I thought Dugenio was great vs UNC....it's just a tough position to project

Building depth all over the place....bringing in guys to compete, builds depth, and provides some security for injuries...

Last edited:
More competition in the FOGO room...as we saw, some guys match up better than others...great to have another guy...I loved what Dugenio brought this year...but there were games (Michigan, Hopkins for two) that we were not good. Fact is it was still our biggest weakness as a team...and we were light years better this year than we were in 2019 and 2020....

I thought Dugenio was great vs UNC....it's just a tough position to project

Building depth all over the place....bringing in guys to compete, builds depth, and provides some security for injuries...
Hope it works out. It would be unfair to expect a new attack to come close to producing like the guys we just lost. So the team simply must get significantly better at face offs if we want to get back to the tournament.

He is legit. And was hurt last year for a lot of the season. He's a physical freak.
Face off kids are hurt a lot, nature of the beast. He will have a lot to prove as he is jumping into a league with probably the premier fogos in the country. Remember that Dugeno was over 50% at St. Johns and I would argue that the Big East is a superior league to the one The Mount is in.

Face off kids are hurt a lot, nature of the beast. He will have a lot to prove as he is jumping into a league with probably the premier fogos in the country. Remember that Dugeno was over 50% at St. Johns and I would argue that the Big East is a superior league to the one The Mount is in.
Scratch the words "I would argue that" as the BE most definitely is a superior league to whatever rinky dink league Mt. St. Mary's is in.

When Quint "the ACC Whore" Kessenich says during the tournament that the Big 10 was the strongest FOGO league in the country it's hard to dispute.

Your first statement is all the more reason that it's important to grab this kid...your certainly correct Family...the B1G is a tough transition for almost any kid....see how it goes

I'll point back to my earlier post...I really like Dugenio and what he brought this year...it was a very large improvement over where we were prior and he helped us go from big issues at the X to at least being competitive in stretches to where our team that was loaded everywhere else was able to go 8-2, make the tourney, get to the quarters and finish #6....we are not elite at the X, but we're better than where we were in 2019 and 2020...

Adding another to the FOGO room gives us depth, creates more competition and again, to your point, gives us insurance...these guys get beat up...we need 2-3 guys that can compete...do we have a new freshman coming in this year to add to the mix?

Areas/units I'm not concerned about at all:

Close Defense
Rope Short Sticks
LSM unit
1st Offensive Midfield line
Goaltending

Areas that I'm worried about:

Attack unit (although I think Scott will be very good)
Offensive depth (second line midfield)
FOGO's (more because the competition we play in conference)

Fun stuff to talk about

Your first statement is all the more reason that it's important to grab this kid...your certainly correct Family...the B1G is a tough transition for almost any kid....see how it goes

I'll point back to my earlier post...I really like Dugenio and what he brought this year...it was a very large improvement over where we were prior and he helped us go from big issues at the X to at least being competitive in stretches to where our team that was loaded everywhere else was able to go 8-2, make the tourney, get to the quarters and finish #6....we are not elite at the X, but we're better than where we were in 2019 and 2020...

Adding another to the FOGO room gives us depth, creates more competition and again, to your point, gives us insurance...these guys get beat up...we need 2-3 guys that can compete...do we have a new freshman coming in this year to add to the mix?

Close Defense
Rope Short Sticks
LSM unit
Goaltending

Fun stuff to talk about
Attack is my biggest concern by far. We have talent but replacing three all time greats at once is a huge challenge.

Second mids is less of a concern since our d-mids are so strong offensively they take up a lot of minutes and give the first team an extra breather.

Agree on Fogo - competition plus the fact that our offense will take a step back this year, possessions will be even more critical.

Any concern with Dugenio transferring out due to Brecht bringing in Stephan? Hopefully not, since he already transferred once from SJU, and he is a NJ kid, but just wondering.

Attack is my biggest concern by far. We have talent but replacing three all time greats at once is a huge challenge.

Second mids is less of a concern since our d-mids are so strong offensively they take up a lot of minutes and give the first team an extra breather.

Agree on Fogo - competition plus the fact that our offense will take a step back this year, possessions will be even more critical.
I’m less concerned about the midfield too. We have the knowns in Sprock, Bartolo and Knobloch. Our D mids which are essentially another line. I think Coyne goes back to O mid which is his natural position, along with one of the Kim’s who started to come on, leaving one spot which you hope someone developed into.

Is Sanguanetti back? If so, that’s it.

Close Defense
Rope Short Sticks
LSM unit
Goaltending

Fun stuff to talk about
yup, this a spot on and I would say that the second offensive middie unit could be a strength if Coyne goes back to offense with one or both of the KIm's and Either Ringer or Carter getting some run. You may see Aimone move to midfield as another lefty. I am hearing that B. Russo could slide on to the rope unit as well. I think ur offense becomes more midfield driven next year and I would expect the first group to be a very dangerous line

I am hearing good things about Teresky at attack, but I think you are right that we need another piece there.

I think the defense can be scary good adding Apgar to Russo and JJF at close and Rall and Ward at LSM add in Stahanazack and Taub as seniors and Crosby back in the mix and you have excellent depth there.

Fogo is a concern every year, but I know Dugenio is right back at work will be better prepared after a year in the Big Ten

Goalie is a little up in air but if it is Burgdorf with that defense in front of him we should be ok and if it is Kirst we will be in great shape.

Reactions: Leonard23
yup, this a spot on and I would say that the second offensive middie unit could be a strength if Coyne goes back to offense with one or both of the KIm's and Either Ringer or Carter getting some run. You may see Aimone move to midfield as another lefty. I am hearing that B. Russo could slide on to the rope unit as well. I think ur offense becomes more midfield driven next year and I would expect the first group to be a very dangerous line

I am hearing good things about Teresky at attack, but I think you are right that we need another piece there.

I think the defense can be scary good adding Apgar to Russo and JJF at close and Rall and Ward at LSM add in Stahanazack and Taub as seniors and Crosby back in the mix and you have excellent depth there.

Fogo is a concern every year, but I know Dugenio is right back at work will be better prepared after a year in the Big Ten

Goalie is a little up in air but if it is Burgdorf with that defense in front of him we should be ok and if it is Kirst we will be in great shape.
Sango is back. I'm also hearing from a pretty solid source that Gallagher just confirmed he will be back...so that's two guys that bring experience and game...

Assuming line 1 is Sprock, Knoblach, and Penn transfer...

Then you have the likes of Sango, Gally, Kim(s)...the other young guys you mentioned above....we do have depth...

It's really the attack unit that is gonna be the big ??? (Outside of #5)

The thoughts around Coyne are interesting...moving him back. He could move back over...but I'm not sure Brian wants to mess with that unit...that four man combination is very solid and as Cali points out, they are essentially our first offensive unit in transition...6 does struggle on ball defensively, but still is a very good option out in space in transition...Brian Russo is the next man up at SSDM...so my guess is it comes down to where can BB get the most bang for his buck with #6...And is Russo ready for the constant stress that's put on you playing that position...

I think you will see 44 hang longer in the offensive zone next year....and 6 and 2 as well....especially in the non conference schedule where teams are less prepared for what those guys can bring...the big ten already knows about our SSDM guys and will always try to slow them down

All interesting conversations...good thing is I will just sit back and watch 😆

I’m less concerned about the midfield too. We have the knowns in Sprock, Bartolo and Knobloch. Our D mids which are essentially another line. I think Coyne goes back to O mid which is his natural position, along with one of the Kim’s who started to come on, leaving one spot which you hope someone developed into.

Is Sanguanetti back? If so, that’s it.
Sango is back...and frankly he was playing the best of his career the second half of this season...

Sango is back. I'm also hearing from a pretty solid source that Gallagher just confirmed he will be back...so that's two guys that bring experience and game...

Then you have the likes of Sango, Gally, Kim(s)...the other young guys you mentioned above....we do have depth...

The thoughts around Coyne are interesting...moving him back. He could move back over...but I'm not sure Brian wants to mess with that unit...that four man combination is very solid and as Cali points out, they are essentially our first offensive unit in transition...6 does struggle on ball defensively, but still is a very good option out in space in transition...Brian Russo is the next man up at SSDM...so my guess is it comes down to where can BB get the most bang for his buck with #6...And is Russo ready for the constant stress that's put on you playing that position...

I think you will see 44 hang longer in the offensive zone next year....and 6 and 2 as well....especially in the non conference schedule where teams are less prepared for what those guys can bring...the big ten already knows about our SSDM guys and will always try to slow them down

I had heard the Frankowiak was done so if he is back with those other two that is going to create great depth

If we play 44 and 2 on the offensive side more, than we are going to have to play more SSDM in the rotation. I think it's a given Russo is going to play there, which I think it is a great option. With Sango and Gallagher back, our midfield is of little concern. We don't even need to play the young guys at that point, but it's always nice for building depth to do so.

At that point it's all about finding the right combinations. We have the horses to run. Hopefully we can get the new guys meshed into our system quickly. I know Connor struggled a little bit out of the gates coming from a completely different system at Villanova. I'm specifically thinking of Bartolo in this situation.

Someone just texted me that Tehoka Nanticoke is in the portal. Would be interesting to see if there are any takers. Obviously an incredible talent but brings tons of baggage. I wouldn't be shocked to see Syra take a run at him. They don't seem to be too mindful of character issues.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT