ADVERTISEMENT

RUMLAX Lands Big Transfers

If we play 44 and 2 on the offensive side more, than we are going to have to play more SSDM in the rotation. I think it's a given Russo is going to play there, which I think it is a great option. With Sango and Gallagher back, our midfield is of little concern. We don't even need to play the young guys at that point, but it's always nice for building depth to do so.

At that point it's all about finding the right combinations. We have the horses to run. Hopefully we can get the new guys meshed into our system quickly. I know Connor struggled a little bit out of the gates coming from a completely different system at Villanova. I'm specifically thinking of Bartolo in this situation.

Someone just texted me that Tehoka Nanticoke is in the portal. Would be interesting to see if there are any takers. Obviously an incredible talent but brings tons of baggage. I wouldn't be shocked to see Syra take a run at him. They don't seem to be too mindful of character issues.

If Albany wouldn't tolerate him he's a train wreck waiting to happen. Maybe not the same issues as Scanlon, as I don't know the reason for his getting kicked off the team, but there would very likely be problems.

If Albany wouldn't tolerate him he's a train wreck waiting to happen. Maybe not the same issues as Scanlon, as I don't know the reason for his getting kicked off the team, but there would very likely be problems.
Yeah I'd rather not risk it personally. Let's grab one more attackman and go with what we have.

Reactions: Leonard23
He's not coming to RU. Guaranteed.

Will be interesting to see if someone takes him though. He's a lockerroom cancer but he's also an incredible talent. I bet someone does. A Jacksonville type.

Didn’t Tehoka want Rutgers bad out of HS?
Saw his issue was pills. Could see Syracuse taking a flyer on him.

Would love to see his talent in Scarlet - don’t know if we’d want the rest of the baggage.

Your first statement is all the more reason that it's important to grab this kid...your certainly correct Family...the B1G is a tough transition for almost any kid....see how it goes

I'll point back to my earlier post...I really like Dugenio and what he brought this year...it was a very large improvement over where we were prior and he helped us go from big issues at the X to at least being competitive in stretches to where our team that was loaded everywhere else was able to go 8-2, make the tourney, get to the quarters and finish #6....we are not elite at the X, but we're better than where we were in 2019 and 2020...

Adding another to the FOGO room gives us depth, creates more competition and again, to your point, gives us insurance...these guys get beat up...we need 2-3 guys that can compete...do we have a new freshman coming in this year to add to the mix?

Areas/units I'm not concerned about at all:

Close Defense
Rope Short Sticks
LSM unit
1st Offensive Midfield line
Goaltending

Areas that I'm worried about:

Attack unit (although I think Scott will be very good)
Offensive depth (second line midfield)
FOGO's (more because the competition we play in conference)

Fun stuff to talk about
Don’t we also get Brian ward back from injury ? He is listed as an LSM but I think he also played with a shortie at Yale . ( I could be wrong) . But if true it may add some flexibility ..

Didn’t Tehoka want Rutgers bad out of HS?
Saw his issue was pills. Could see Syracuse taking a flyer on him.

Would love to see his talent in Scarlet - don’t know if we’d want the rest of the baggage.
I was told he wanted to come to RU but he didn’t make the grades. Somehow Albany got some special waiver because of his ethnicity.

No idea what his issues are but to get booted off an Albany team isn’t good.

Coach Brecht isnt taking a flier on that. Too much risk.

Reactions: Roy_Faulker
Don’t we also get Brian ward back from injury ? He is listed as an LSM but I think he also played with a shortie at Yale . ( I could be wrong) . But if true it may add some flexibility ..
Ward is an LSM...that is where they want him...we need one to pair with Rall...

Masessa is done...,per my contacts...

44 will not play offense...in transition yes, but he has zero interest in being in the offensive room. 26 is coming back

26 and 44 are the two top SSDM's...don't expect that to change

6 May flip to Offensive but that's only if Russo can step in at SSDM...otherwise it's not happening...BB will not mess with that rope unit...there is zero reason to mess with it...

The focus should be on attack....that's the big issue

Defense will be fine

Ward is an LSM...that is where they want him...we need one to pair with Rall...

Masessa is done...,per my contacts...

44 will not play offense...in transition yes, but he has zero interest in being in the offensive room. 26 is coming back

26 and 44 are the two top SSDM's...don't expect that to change

6 May flip to Offensive but that's only if Russo can step in at SSDM...otherwise it's not happening...BB will not mess with that rope unit...there is zero reason to mess with it...

The focus should be on attack....that's the big issue

Defense will be fine

I don’t know much about the team except what I read here and watch. I think 44/26 are 2 of the best ssdm in the BIG . If not the best

I just saw that ward had 238 points in HS, so he seems like a flexible defensive type player . But again, I don’t know who is coming or going!

I don’t know much about the team except what I read here and watch. I think 44/26 are 2 of the best ssdm in the BIG . If not the best

I just saw that ward had 238 points in HS, so he seems like a flexible defensive type player . But again, I don’t know who is coming or going!
Hey...you never know. To your point, if they want to move Coyne back to offense, then maybe Ward slides to SSDM...but we do need an LSM to go with Rall...unless Masessa changes his mind...which is possible I guess...

The good thing is we have lots of parts 😁

Reactions: Ram1965today
Great thread, thanks Cali, family, and golfer for all of the inside info.

Recognizing that we might not be done with the portal, can you guys scratch out what our lineup (2-deep?) could look like next season?

I will give it a shot based on what we know and logical assumptions

Goalie - Burgdorf (Kirst if he comes back, but that is looking less likely based on people I have spoken to)
Defense- Russo, JJF, Apgar (Taub and Crosby are likely "in the mix") we have a freshman coming in that is also very good
LSM - Rall, Ward, Stahanaczk
FOGO Dugenio, Stephan, Yousefi, Ott
Middie 1- Knobloch, Sprock and the UPenn transfer, Gallagher
Middie 2 - Sango, Kim's, Gallagher (in the mix B. Russo, Carter, Ringer)
SSDM Frankowiak (confirmed he is coming back - not that I doubted you @Golfer2019) Kamish, Daninger Coyne. I am not sure that Coyne will give up the amount of run he gets at this spot to be on the second mid line.
attack- Scott, Wesleyan transfer Attackman,. The third spot is where it gets interesting, by all accounts we are looking for an attackman in the portal, if we took one he would have to be a player and not just a role player (see Keegan Khan). if not I could see us moving Gallagher back to attack and I am also hearing good things about Nick Teresky.

Last edited:
I will give it a shot based on what we know and logically assumptions

Goalie - Burgdorf (Kirst if he comes back, but that is looking less likely based on people I have spoken to)
Defense- Russo, JJF, Apgar (Taub and Crosby are likely "in the mix") we have a freshman coming in that is also very good
LSM - Rall, Ward, Stahanaczk
FOGO Dugenio, Stephan, Yousefi, Ott
Middie 1- Knobloch, Sprock and the UPenn transfer, Gallagher
Middie 2 - Sango, Kim's, Gallagher (in the mix B. Russo, Carter, Ringer)
SSDM Frankowiak (confirmed he is coming back - not that I doubted you @Golfer2019) Kamish, Daninger Coyne. I am not sure that Coyne will give up the amount of run he gets at this spot to be on the second mid line.
attack- Scott, Wesleyan transfer Attackman,. The third spot is where it gets interesting, by all accounts we are looking for an attackman in the portal, if we took one he would have to be a player and not just a role player (see Keegan Khan). if not I could see us moving Gallagher back to attack and I am also hearing good things about Nick Teresky.
I'll stay away from this for obvious reasons....but a few comments to add on what @rufamily put up here

I am hearing we are getting another attack via the portal...I'll leave it at that as I'll let the natural course of public news hit, but I'm pretty sure it's a done deal...heard that from a kid that is working his internship below my office in the basement 😉

Second, I am also hearing very good things about Teresky

Third, Crosby was at my house yesterday...he looked much better than a year ago...kid has battled multiple injuries and surgeries...he told me he's never felt better and it's the first time he's been fully healthy since his sophomore year in HS...it was good to see him smiling again...he's looking forward to coming back to RU to compete in the fall...who knows if he's an impact player this coming year...hard to predict, but as I've told Cali before...he's one of the best if not the best high school pole I've watched...he competed against my kids in high school and my younger son played with him on the Cherries 2019 team and that team was a very good team...his skill set reminds me of Russo...slick, crafty, yet firm

Also agree on Coyne...the reality is, unless some other stud rolls in, the rope SSDM unit is locked in...those guys like their roles, they love the freedom they have and I can confirm 44 and 6 very much enjoy the run they get and both will be back to improve on things next year...

The reality is RU right now is viewed as a place with potential and it's viewed as a program with resources and that with a few key pick ups, they can be very strong next year...BB is very aggressive in the portal market right now and you can never have too much depth....the fact is, this team has a lot of guys and internally competition will be very high...it is very very difficult to get on the field at this level at a place like RU right now

I'm struggling with our ability to replace 8, 4, and 1....but man, we are gonna be a very big, fast, deep, physical team next year...if we can stay competitive at the FO-X and find goal scoring...we just may be back in the mix come May 2022...

Long way to go

Family nailed it like he always does

Last edited:
I'll stay away from this for obvious reasons....but a few comments to add on what @rufamily put up here

I am hearing we are getting another attack via the portal...I'll leave it at that as I'll let the natural course of public news hit, but I'm pretty sure it's a done deal...heard that from a kid that is working his internship below my office in the basement 😉

Second, I am also hearing very good things about Teresky

Third, Crosby was at my house yesterday...he looked much better than a year ago...kid has battled multiple injuries and surgeries...he told me he's never felt better and it's the first time he's been fully healthy since his sophomore year in HS...it was good to see him smiling again...he's looking forward to coming back to RU to compete in the fall...who knows if he's an impact player this coming year...hard to predict, but as I've told Cali before...he's one of the best if not the best high school pole I've watched...he competed against my kids in high school and my younger son played with him on the Cherries 2019 team and that team was a very good team...his skill set reminds me of Russo...slick, crafty, yet firm

Also agree on Coyne...the reality is, unless some other stud rolls in, the rope SSDM unit is locked in...those guys like their roles, they love the freedom they have and I can confirm 44 and 6 very much enjoy the run they get and both will be back to improve on things next year...

The reality is RU right now is viewed as a place with potential and it's viewed as a program with resources and that with a few key pick ups, they can be very strong next year...BB is very aggressive in the portal market right now and you can never have too much depth....the fact is, this team has a lot of guys and internally competition will be very high...it is very very difficult to get on the field at this level at a place like RU right now

I'm struggling with our ability to replace 8, 4, and 1....but man, we are gonna be a very big, fast, deep, physical team next year...if we can stay competitive at the FO-X and find goal scoring...we just may be back in the mix come May 2022...

Long way to go

Family nailed it like he always does

Only thing I might add is I would be surprised if Reynolds doesn't see some time somewhere on D. He's going to be very hard to keep off the field.

If we can sure up the left spot on attack, which I am hearing we are (no idea who but have an idea), then we are ready to go.

It's always tough seeing kids you've loved watching play for so long and have been so productive move on to other things- by that I mean on the field. Off the field, I couldn't be happier for them- but it's also one of the joys of college athletics. Seeing kids develop from year to year, and who are the guys that will take that next step. 44 is a perfect example. From being tentative and finding his role to being one of the best at his position in the country. I really love that part of the game.

The next 44's are out there. I think we can all agree that Ross Scott is ready to explode. He's certainly going to bring a different dynamic to the x position. Mullins is an R legend as is AC and Kirst. There is no replacing those guys. But Scott brings something different to the table and he's going to be fun to watch. The Unc game was clearly a coming out party. In talking to him, and Mullins, I've loved how the wisdom learned by Bieda and Jules keeps getting passed down. It's what makes a program. R lacrosse has serious momentum.

Here's a big question that I don't see answered or may have see missed. How strong we at the face-off position. This was were we really got stung in games we lost. And we know and have visibly seen what a great face-off player means. Does anyone have the face-off stats fire the season both game by game and totals. Maybe I missed that too. Not trying to be critical because there is so much good stuff going on between our NCAA run, transfers and facilities which are now a great help.

We have Dugenio back who I expect to be more competitive and the transfer coming in from Mr St Mary’s. Along with Ott.

We have Dugenio back who I expect to be more competitive and the transfer coming in from Mr St Mary’s. Along with Ott.
Dugenio was a huge upgrade for our team this past season...let's not forget how bad we were in 2019 and 2020...

Can we improve, no doubt...do we need to get better, sure...but with the addition of the Mount kid, Dugenio being back, and the others, I think we are competitive...

It's always something you look to get better at...just gotta see how this group plays out

Anyone know about any freshman face off guys we might have coming in...freshman can make an impact at FOGO...you see it a lot...Duke played a freshman, Denver played a freshman last year...maybe we have someone coming that might just be a big time player at FOGO...I have no idea

With that said, I liked what Dugenio brought this year...I'm glad he's back

Here's a big question that I don't see answered or may have see missed. How strong we at the face-off position. This was were we really got stung in games we lost. And we know and have visibly seen what a great face-off player means. Does anyone have the face-off stats fire the season both game by game and totals. Maybe I missed that too. Not trying to be critical because there is so much good stuff going on between our NCAA run, transfers and facilities which are now a great help.
Fogo is usually a crapshoot in terms of what you get, it is, IMO the hardest position in lacrosse to recruit. Just look at UMD in 2019 they brought in the top fogo in the class and had another kid who was rated lower, two years later the lower-rated kid is the heir apparent and the top-rated kid is in the portal. That being said most of the teams in the Big Ten faced off around 55% except us and UMD but UMD was over 50% and we were at 40% but when you compare them against the OOC teams we played UNC (who had won at a rate or 56%) but we won 57% of the faceoffs in that game
Lehigh, whose kid was so good that the announcers on the game said only 2 teams even tried against him, we held him under his average and while we did not win many face-offs we did not let him break us forward and we actually broke Lehigh forward for back to back goals.
What this means is that the Big Tens overall numbers were down because we beat each other up but, against teams outside the Conference we were pretty good.
we have most of our kids coming back plus we are adding two fogo's Stephans (transfer from The Mount) and Romanek (Freshman from New Hampshire)
I think that there will be a lot of competition at the faceoff X next fall and spring as I expect Ott to be healthier, Stepan comes in and competes and Baratta and Romanek add depth and talent but, Dugenio is still the guy and knowing how hard he works he will keep getting better. If you go back and watch the Lehigh game he scrapped with that kid all game and when he had the chance he broke him forward for goals. he is only going to get better and more confident.
UMD, OSU, and PSU all have their primary face-off kids graduating and only UMD has a replacement that has taken a decent number of reps.
one more piece of info the PSU fogo has taken 1100 face-offs, while the OSU fogo has taken 900 those are a lot of reps to replace.

Reactions: jreinsdorf
I love what Dugenio brings. He’s player not just a fogo. Even when he loses the draw he never concedes, is usually able to get it to a scrap and often after losing the draw will get a takeaway which doesn’t really showed up on the stat sheet. He doesn’t often get broken forward and that matters almost as much as win percentage.

I don’t know the exact percentages but I’d bet a good majority of clean wins result in goals. I’d rather have a guys that rarely gives out fast breaks off the draw than a guy that wins a slightly higher percentage but gets broken forward for “make it - take it” goals when he loses. Those are absolute killers, and Dugenio is good at defending them. When he does break forward he is lethal because he is a very good feeder and finisher and one of the better fogos with the ball in this stick, which is a rare combo.

Reactions: Golfer2019
Does Colin Kirst have the option of coming back for one more year if he chooses to? There have been several comments in this thread about it being unlikely that he comes back. Is it his choice or would he need to petition for some type of waiver? I thought he was a difference maker in goal last year if there was a way to bring him back we would be in good shape there rather than making projections on the kid from Providence.

It's now public.

Brian Cameron from UNC is transferring to RU. He will have two season of eligibility.

He's a big, tall lefty who can move and shoot. He started a number of games as a freshman. This is a huge pick up. Literally and figuratively. He's 6'3 220.

Our team got some some serious size overnight.

It's now public.

Brian Cameron from UNC is transferring to RU. He will have two season of eligibility.

He's a big, tall lefty who can move and shoot. He started a number of games as a freshman. This is a huge pick up. Literally and figuratively. He's 6'3 220.

Great get. One question, does Scott assume the Mullins role in the O?

Reactions: Loyal-Son
Great get. One question, does Scott assume the Mullins role in the O?

I think that's the natural position for him. He's ready to compete and earn the spot. I know that's his mindset. You could slide him over to the right depending on how Teresky comes in, as he's an x guy too. The transfer Jacoby, Cameron, and a few of the younger guys, including the incoming Canadian, are all going to be vying for those spots. It's going to be a very interesting time for our attack . Lots of PT up for grabs.

Gotta think a motivated Ross, which he is, grabs one of the spots.

One of the great things about our offense is the interchangablity of it all. While Mullins was your classic X, we seem to be able to float around like a modern day basketball team.

Brian wants the best players out there regardless of specific position.

Does Colin Kirst have the option of coming back for one more year if he chooses to? There have been several comments in this thread about it being unlikely that he comes back. Is it his choice or would he need to petition for some type of waiver? I thought he was a difference maker in goal last year if there was a way to bring him back we would be in good shape there rather than making projections on the kid from Providence.
I thought he had played four years (2017-2020) in addition to the free year(this year). But I don't know all of the rules...
I think that's the natural position for him. He's ready to compete and earn the spot. I know that's his mindset. You could slide him over to the right depending on how Teresky comes in, as he's an x guy too. The transfer Jacoby, Cameron, and a few of the younger guys, including the incoming Canadian, are all going to be vying for those spots. It's going to be a very interesting time for our attack . Lots of PT up for grabs.

Gotta think a motivated Ross, which he is, grabs one of the spots.

One of the great things about our offense is the interchangablity of it all. While Mullins was your classic X, we seem to be able to float around like a modern day basketball team.

Brian wants the best players out there regardless of specific position.
Just my opinion but I've seen enough of Scott to know he needs to be on the field a lot...

Reactions: Degaz-RU
It's now public.

Played all 16 games for UNC and had 16 goals (on 46 shots) and 1 assist, also 18 ground balls.

He was seventh on the team with those 16 goals, and the top six had 49, 33, 25, 23, 22 and 20. So definitely a valuable guy but not one of the top guys on a loaded offense

Perhaps the hope would be that he will blossom into a go-to first line attackman with a fresh opportunity and a chance to be a starter. Kind of like Colin Kirst blossomed as a goalie this year in getting an opportunity to start.

Definitely a nice pickup.

Any talk about Henig getting more time at attack next year? My boys played against him in high school. I think he got in against Ohio St this year.

Cali, on average, what percentage of our guys stay on campus and take classes during the Summer ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT