ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers and Princeton Meet for the 100th Time Saturday

Caliknight

Legend
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2001
Hopefully something gets done to honor this longstanding series.

For those that don't know, we play for the Tots Meistrell Cup, who was the founder of the programs at each university.

Hoping the forecasted storm is a bust and goes out to sea.

Nothing better than beating Princeton at any sport but, given the history and importance, lacrosse is special.

Hopefully something gets done to honor this longstanding series.

For those that don't know, we play for the Tots Meistrell Cup, who was the founder of the programs at each university.
Would be a big miss not to honor the 100th meeting.

Reactions: Caliknight
Brian is aware of and honors our history. I have not heard of anything specific but I am sure there will be something.

Without factoring in how an individual game will affect our tournament resume, this is the one game a year I want to win the most.

That said the pendulum is starting to swing and at this point I would gladly trade a Maryland win for a Princeton one.

Eh, let's win them both.

Princeton seems to mean more to the older gen. Still, we play for a trophy and that matters.

With the advent of B1G lacrosse, I get the sense those are the teams the squad most wants to beat. OSU in particular seems to be a circle game. Not much love lost between the two programs. That can be said for all B1G teams though.

Acc is like country club lacrosse. B1G lacrosse is genuine dislike.

OSU is taking on an interesting twist in my house and is also high on my list for a win. I am sure many of you are aware of Mitchell Pehlke, attack for OSU who also has a pretty popular Youtube account.

Having a high school son, his stuff is on in my house all the time and while he is a likeable guy, the few times Rutgers has come up he says - "We don't like Rutgers" which is absolutely expected as we have been competing with OSU as best of the rest for a couple years now.

Its also a little weird because the guy would have fit in really well at Rutgers as a fair amount of his content is about his Italian lineage and Italian food.

The increased exposure to OSU is making it slightly personal.

Acc is like country club lacrosse. B1G lacrosse is genuine dislike.

Within the Research Triangle it's genuine dislike in all sports with NC State thrown into the mix.

My senior year we played in a March tournament co-sponsored by Duke and UNC. This being late in the oil crisis recession, with our budget in tatters, we were lodged in the NC Fair Grounds in cabins straight out of Hogan's Heros. We took our meals at the NC State Student Union and hung out later for bowling and pinball. They had no televisions going. That Thursday night we were walking to the bus to go back the Stalag. All of a sudden some high rise dorms near the union immediately go crazy. Shouting. Screaming. And it sounded like they were throwing furniture around the rooms. The next morning we found out what happened. In a Sweet 16 game Syracuse scored with 1 second left to upset UNC. NC State had no part in the game but that was their reaction.

Growing up in Princeton, but being from a family of Rutgers profs and alums this game has been huge for me my entire life. I am hoping to take my son this weekend.
Did you grow up in Princeton proper? I grew up in Princeton Borough. PHS class of ‘89.

OSU is taking on an interesting twist in my house and is also high on my list for a win. I am sure many of you are aware of Mitchell Pehlke, attack for OSU who also has a pretty popular Youtube account.

Having a high school son, his stuff is on in my house all the time and while he is a likeable guy, the few times Rutgers has come up he says - "We don't like Rutgers" which is absolutely expected as we have been competing with OSU as best of the rest for a couple years now.

Its also a little weird because the guy would have fit in really well at Rutgers as a fair amount of his content is about his Italian lineage and Italian food.

The increased exposure to OSU is making it slightly personal.
They should not like Rutgers. We have beaten them 5 times in the last 3 seasons played (Covid year excluded)

We ran them off the field in Ohio Stadium twice!

I would dislike RU also if I kept getting my a$$ kicked

My kid never lost to OSU 😁…and trust me we talk about it

They should not like Rutgers. We have beaten them 5 times in the last 3 seasons played (Covid year excluded)

OSU only owns RU in football. We pretty much hold our ground vs OSU in every other sport.

Did you grow up in Princeton proper? I grew up in Princeton Borough. PHS class of ‘89.
Moved from New Brunswick to the Borough when I was 7. My parents still live there. PHS class of 2003. They live over between the middle school and little Brooke school. Near TR park.

Love that. Certain bragging rights never go away. One of my best friends from high school played at Uva. We beat them in the NCAA tourney. I never let him live that down.

I can't speak to other sports but Acc lacrosse definitely has that clubby vibe. You can feel it on the field in B1G. It's very different.

Reactions: mattkamish
Growing up in Princeton, but being from a family of Rutgers profs and alums this game has been huge for me my entire life. I am hoping to take my son this weekend.
I grew up nearby. Dad went to RU (wrestler) and my uncle went to Princeton (tennis). While the football games were the main attraction, any sport between the 2 schools was a big event in our house growing up. Princeton seemed to prevail most of the time. Pete Carril was despised.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT