ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers Band Director Job Posted

HeavenUniv.

Hall of Famer
Sep 21, 2004
Go to www.masongross.rutgers for application---starts July 1. More info. here---
Director of Athletic Bands/Associate Director of Bands
Below you will find the details for the position including any supplementary documentation and questions you should review before applying for the opening. To apply for the position, please click the Apply for this Job link/button.

If you would like to bookmark this position for later review, click on the Bookmark link. If you would like to print a copy of this position for your records, click on the Print Preview link.

Bookmark this Posting | Print Preview | Apply for this Job
Please see Special Instructions for more details.

Candidates should provide a cover letter, curriculum vitae, the names and contact information for five references, and links to video recordings of their work in the athletic band arena, as well as representative audio samples of their work in the concert band idiom. Please adhere to this request and provide links for both videos and recordings. Additional materials may be requested at a later date if necessary.
Position Details

Position Information

Recruitment/Posting Title Director of Athletic Bands/Associate Director of Bands
Department MGSA - Music
Salary Commensurate With Experience
Posting Summary
The Music Department of the Mason Gross School of the Arts & the Division of Intercollegiate Athletics at Rutgers University invites applications for a candidate with outstanding musical skills and creative vision to develop a comprehensive marching band program that reflects the quality level of bands within the “Big Ten Conference” while developing an identity that is unique to the cultural and social diversity of the Rutgers community and the surrounding metropolitan area. The position is a full-time, tenure/professional track position at the level of assistant, associate or full professor in instrumental music, to begin July 1, 2017. Duties include directing the Marching Scarlet Knights and University Pep Bands, conducting one of four concert bands within the music department and teaching courses in instrumental music appropriate to the candidate’s expertise. A critical component of the position will be outreach in the high school programs of the state and region for recruitment of instrumental performance and music education majors while working with the Director of Bands to recruit a large contingent of non-majors throughout the university for the ensembles. Active involvement in CBDNA, NBA, and NAfME at the state, regional, and national level is expected.

Qualifications

Minimum Education and Experience
Masters degree required, Doctorate preferred

Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Equipment Utilized
Physical Demands and Work Environment
Overview
Statement

Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey, is a leading Big Ten public research university with an enrollment of more than 40,000 students on its New Brunswick campus. Rutgers is a member of the “BIG TEN” Athletic Conference while the Mason Gross School of the Arts, with 1,200 students, is dedicated to professional programs in the arts at graduate and undergraduate levels, and to fulfilling the liberal arts missions of its constituent departments: Music, Theater, Dance and Visual Arts. The Department of Music offers the B.M., M.M., M.A., A.D., D.M.A., and Ph.D. degrees. Additional information is available at the school website: www.masongross.rutgers.edu.

Posting Details

Posting Number 16FA1193
Posting Open Date 10/03/2016
Posting Close Date
Special Instructions to Applicants

Candidates should provide a cover letter, curriculum vitae, the names and contact information for five references, and links to video recordings of their work in the athletic band arena, as well as representative audio samples of their work in the concert band idiom. Please adhere to this request and provide links for both videos and recordings. Additional materials may be requested at a later date if necessary.

Quick Link to Posting http://jobs.rutgers.edu/postings/34165
Campus Rutgers University-New Brunswick
Home Location Campus Livingston (RU-New Brunswick)
Affirmative Action/Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
It is university policy to provide equal employment opportunity to all its employees and applicants for employment regardless of their race, creed, color, national origin, age, ancestry, nationality, marital or domestic partnership or civil union status, sex, pregnancy, gender identity or expression, disability status, liability for military service, protected veteran status, affectional or sexual orientation, atypical cellular or blood trait, genetic information (including the refusal to submit to genetic testing), or any other category protected by law. As an institution, we value diversity of background and opinion, and prohibit discrimination or harassment on the basis of any legally protected class in the areas of hiring, recruitment, promotion, transfer, demotion, training, compensation, pay, fringe benefits, layoff, termination or any other terms and conditions of employment. For additional information please see the Non-Discrimination Statement at the following web address: http://uhr.rutgers.edu/non-discrimination-statement

Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).

Applicant Documents
Required Documents
  1. Cover Letter/Letter of Application
  2. Curriculum Vitae
  3. Other Document
  4. List of References
Optional Documents

Nuts, Don't get too happy--maybe Kyle Flood will get the job.--VERY important aspect of this new person's role should be to recruit New Jersey high school musicians and maybe even start reaching out to them at the junior high and elementary school levels.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
Interesting tidbid from the OSu Marching Band Website:

http://dotthei.osu.edu

Help Us Dot the "i"
The university has assembled a $1 million budget to support the Marching Band’s administrative and operational expenses for the next few years.

This funding will shift to other areas, and the Marching Band has been asked to create a comprehensive endowment by raising $10 million in private funds.
These dollars will be matched by the university, creating a $20 million endowment to help fund the greatest needs of the Marching Band forever, Including student scholarships, Marching Band operating costs and travel funds.

Applicant must be able to identify the home and visiting teams at athletic events.

"Applicant must not lie about band size. This means if 250 kids show up for the 1st day of camp, and 180 are on the field for the home opener, you DO NOT have a 250-member band. Get it? Thanks for applying and march on!"

Last edited:
Reactions: RU5781 and RC1991
Interesting tidbid from the OSu Marching Band Website:

http://dotthei.osu.edu

Help Us Dot the "i"
The university has assembled a $1 million budget to support the Marching Band’s administrative and operational expenses for the next few years.

This funding will shift to other areas, and the Marching Band has been asked to create a comprehensive endowment by raising $10 million in private funds.
These dollars will be matched by the university, creating a $20 million endowment to help fund the greatest needs of the Marching Band forever, Including student scholarships, Marching Band operating costs and travel funds.
The clarinet gap?

Reactions: RU22
You should apply.

The band may suck but I'd bet the parties at Band Camp would be epic.

True, they would!

Seriously though I hope we get the right person in there. Someone who will:

- change the direction of the band...
- mend over a decade's worth of harm done, by Smith, with the band alumni...
- see substantial growth, over the next 3-4 years, through much higher retention rates than the previous director accounted for...
- be open and HONEST with the general public about the band's growth, et al...
- don't take up 400 seats when you don't need to take up 400 seats (at home, on the road, or neutral sites). It looks silly.

....I'm sure that our resident band alumni can do a better job of this than I can lol!

"Applicant must not lie about band size. This means if 250 kids show up for the 1st day of camp, and 180 are on the field for the home opener, you DO NOT have a 250-member band. Get it? Thanks for applying and march on!"

Yes counting the number of actual students in the band is an absolute requirement. Must be able to count to 400.

It's advised that the director stay off fan boards as well.

Yes counting the number of actual students in the band is an absolute requirement. Must be able to count to 400.

It's advised that the director stay off fan boards as well.

I'm awaiting Smith's return to the boards the day after he retires. That should be interesting!

Reactions: RU22 and RUgrad75
Is "Must Not Suck" part of the job announcement?[winking]

YESSSSSSSS!

Thrilled to see that new band director actually has to have a Masters or Doctorate in ..... (wait for it....) MUSIC and is expected to teach instrumental music at Mason Gross. Y'all understand that my 10-year distain for Smith was that he was not qualified on paper nor capable of these duties. Don't take my word for it. Ask any alumni band member who is far enough away from the program to talk without fear of repercussions!

Reactions: RU22
If you want a good marching band, try to poach the guy who does it for Jackson Memorial.

YESSSSSSSS!

Thrilled to see that new band director actually has to have a Masters or Doctorate in ..... (wait for it....) MUSIC and is expected to teach instrumental music at Mason Gross. Y'all understand that my 10-year distain for Smith was that he was not qualified on paper nor capable of these duties. Don't take my word for it. Ask any alumni band member who is far enough away from the program to talk without fear of repercussions!

Great stuff!

If you want a good marching band, try to poach the guy who does it for Jackson Memorial.

I would think we're likely headed in the "hire an assistant from a big school, with a great band" - and and MBA in Music - approach.

I would think we're likely headed in the "hire an assistant from a big school, with a great band" - and and MBA in Music - approach.
Exactly. We're either hiring an assistant from a B1G school, or a director from a smaller school with a ton of success, like James Madison who won the Sudler Trophy recently.

Exactly. We're either hiring an assistant from a B1G school, or a director from a smaller school with a ton of success, like James Madison who won the Sudler Trophy recently.

That guy would be an absolute HOME RUN type of hire. Great 450-member band! His assistant would probably even be worth a look.

I have no problem with that approach either. But I would dare say that with that school having a band bigger than us and doing major competitions, performing at the Rose Bowl, etc. in the last 5 years, this would be the type of local person who would do some good for us.

Either way, they have to make a huge splash with this hire to get the kids interested.

Reactions: AreYouNUTS
To be clear. I am sure that they both will have very little input on this academic hire
Why wouldn't the AD have a say? It clearly states in the posting that it is a dual role MGSA/Intercollegiate Athletics

The Music Department of the Mason Gross School of the Arts & the Division of Intercollegiate Athletics at Rutgers University invites applications for a candidate with outstanding musical skills and creative vision to develop a comprehensive marching band program that reflects the quality level of bands within the “Big Ten Conference” while developing an identity that is unique to the cultural and social diversity of the Rutgers community and the surrounding metropolitan area.

Reactions: RU22 and bigmatt718
I reiterate. Spanky is your man. Or one of his band of 100 tailgate buddies who were all band members in the 80's.Maybe they can all share the job..:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

To think that we had a band director with no graduate degree.

Let's not start posting falshoods.

From his bio:
Smith received his masters degree in wind conducting from Messiah College, where he studied with Bradley Genevro. He holds a degree in music education from the Mason Gross School of the Arts. Smith has worked in conducting symposia with band conductors Eugene Corporon of the University of North Texas, Jerry Junkin at the University of Texas, Allan McMurray at the University of Colorado, and Kevin Sedatole at Michigan State University.

Let's not start posting falshoods.

From his bio:
Smith received his masters degree in wind conducting from Messiah College, where he studied with Bradley Genevro. He holds a degree in music education from the Mason Gross School of the Arts. Smith has worked in conducting symposia with band conductors Eugene Corporon of the University of North Texas, Jerry Junkin at the University of Texas, Allan McMurray at the University of Colorado, and Kevin Sedatole at Michigan State University.

Lol. Messiah College?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT