ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Schiano would be a strong candidate for the Florida Job

Al, we’re on the verge of having our best season in a very long time and you’re worried about losing Schiano?
Sit back and enjoy the ride.
Personally I think he is an excellent coach and would do great anywhere. That being said he is a perfect fit right here. He will be due a big pay raise very shortly.

If there is one thing I am very disappointed in,if’s the turnout for the Akron game.
If this team produces and the crowd is still sparse. We’re in trouble!

One other thing, a message for the guys on here who try to reason with Shelby.
Murphy’s Law applies.
“Never argue with a fool, people might
not know the difference”

Last edited:
Reactions: RU at the shore
Why Schiano will not be considered for Florida :

- Gainesville is too close to Tampa. We. Everyone remembers Schiano s experience with the Buccaneers.

- See Tennessee Vols reaction to Schiano. Won’t be much different with Gators.

Florida will get a P4 HC. Just won’t be Schiano.

I can see Campbell from Iowa State. / Dabo / James Franklin / etc as candidates.
You are onto something. I thought the GS problem in Tampa was three-fold.

1) NFL players are largely star-players most of their football lives and go to star programs where they are treated like stars. As an assistant, GS might teach them something they need to succeed at their position.. but as head coach he'd demand more control over their behavior. They are not used to that. The stars.. resent it. We saw it as DC at Ohio State.. GS wanted to install assignment defense.. everyone do what he says when he says it. The stars are used to more freedom.. to use their athletic advantage to beat their opponent.. to out-athlete them. The stars at OSU resented it... perhaps buoyed by GS bad rep coming out of Tampa.

2) Media.. media around star programs, NFL teams.. they are used to basking in the glory of the star athletes.. to get close to them.. to leverage the relationship... GS sought to control that. The Gators and SEC media would more closely match that of the Bucs media than what GS had to deal with at Rutgers. There would be instant friction.

3) Culture. Tennessee would have been far better off with Schiano than any of the guys who were there before their current head coach. But Schiano would have had the same issues.. star athletes wanting/needing/demanding star treatment. Media and boosters demanding their access.

If the Gators were serious and would support all the changes in culture and media and booster access as Schiano transformed the program I think it would work. But I don't think they would cooperate. Perhaps seeing the struggles of Coach Prime they are thinking they need to go the opposite way. Saban was a disciplinarian who transformed Bama back to what it "should be".. but Saban had won a NC with an SEC team before his failure at the Dolphins. Saban disciple Steve Sarkasian seems to have done it with Texas.. transforming their star-atheletes who failed year after year to a TEAM. But he, too, had that NC experience to lean on.. as an Assistant. That is something that demanded respect from star athletes. GS came close to that as Miami DC but they won the following year. I just don't see all those players and hangers-on giving GS the room to transform the Gators to a disciplined TEAM. Florida might need someone more high-profile.

Maybe they should get that Texas OC... Kyle Flood. 😎

Al and that woman Shelby are very strange people.
Al's schtick these days is very different than under GS 1.0. It is like this.. Lil Bon Jovi was fun.. but here it is.. almost 20 years later or so and imagine adult Lil Bon Jovi trying the same stuff and amping it up even more.. doing that air-guitar to every song played.. craving attention. It is getting ugly.

You are onto something. I thought the GS problem in Tampa was three-fold.

1) NFL players are largely star-players most of their football lives and go to star programs where they are treated like stars. As an assistant, GS might teach them something they need to succeed at their position.. but as head coach he'd demand more control over their behavior. They are not used to that. The stars.. resent it. We saw it as DC at Ohio State.. GS wanted to install assignment defense.. everyone do what he says when he says it. The stars are used to more freedom.. to use their athletic advantage to beat their opponent.. to out-athlete them. The stars at OSU resented it... perhaps buoyed by GS bad rep coming out of Tampa.

2) Media.. media around star programs, NFL teams.. they are used to basking in the glory of the star athletes.. to get close to them.. to leverage the relationship... GS sought to control that. The Gators and SEC media would more closely match that of the Bucs media than what GS had to deal with at Rutgers. There would be instant friction.

3) Culture. Tennessee would have been far better off with Schiano than any of the guys who were there before their current head coach. But Schiano would have had the same issues.. star athletes wanting/needing/demanding star treatment. Media and boosters demanding their access.

If the Gators were serious and would support all the changes in culture and media and booster access as Schiano transformed the program I think it would work. But I don't think they would cooperate. Perhaps seeing the struggles of Coach Prime they are thinking they need to go the opposite way. Saban was a disciplinarian who transformed Bama back to what it "should be".. but Saban had won a NC with an SEC team before his failure at the Dolphins. Saban disciple Steve Sarkasian seems to have done it with Texas.. transforming their star-atheletes who failed year after year to a TEAM. But he, too, had that NC experience to lean on.. as an Assistant. That is something that demanded respect from star athletes. GS came close to that as Miami DC but they won the following year. I just don't see all those players and hangers-on giving GS the room to transform the Gators to a disciplined TEAM. Florida might need someone more high-profile.

Maybe they should get that Texas OC... Kyle Flood. 😎
Wouldn’t Flood to Florida be a hoot.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
Wouldn’t Flood to Florida be a hoot.
It would be an Ash-like hire... or a Gleeson hire. That is.. Ash was technically co-OC of a national championship defense at Ohio State.. but it really was Luke Fickell who did that. Proven.. right? With what Ash could not do as HC at Rutgers. Gleeson was technically OC of a potent Oklahoma State offense. But it really was former QB and OC-come-HC Mike Gundy who was responsible for that offense.. proven by Gleeson's inability to produce and offense here. I think Kyle Flood is technically OC of a great Texas offense.. but it is really Head Coach Sarkasian's offense... isn't it?

"Giving Greg the support he needs..." doesn't start by implying that he's not getting that support and spouting that RU is lacking. Even if true which is pure speculation why publicly espouse it. Why don't you be honest and say the truth-- our fans contribute with their mouths and not their pocketbooks --- keep Schiano s name out of it.

It would be an Ash-like hire... or a Gleeson hire. That is.. Ash was technically co-OC of a national championship defense at Ohio State.. but it really was Luke Fickell who did that. Proven.. right? With what Ash could not do as HC at Rutgers. Gleeson was technically OC of a potent Oklahoma State offense. But it really was former QB and OC-come-HC Mike Gundy who was responsible for that offense.. proven by Gleeson's inability to produce and offense here. I think Kyle Flood is technically OC of a great Texas offense.. but it is really Head Coach Sarkasian's offense... isn't it?
Gleeson was a convenient scapegoat for a failing system, philosophy and HC reputation for awful QB production.

Luv ya Al BUT....

.....GREG SCHIANO IS NOT GOING NOWHERE. PERIOD.

BTW - brilliant move by Florida if they fire this bozo before FSU fires theirs.
He’s not going anywhere, but for the reason I stated. The bloom is off the rose, ancient history. Skunked beer. Hobbs didn’t even want him, and he hasn’t even topped .333 in conference this time around. Florida would have no interest.

Respectfully disagree. Flood was already a head coach. Maybe he learned from his mistakes. Maybe he learned a lot at Alabama and Texas. Maybe if he was provided the proper resources, coordinators and assistants, he could succeed. Yeah, that's three maybes, but maybe I am on to something here.

Respectfully disagree. Flood was already a head coach. Maybe he learned from his mistakes. Maybe he learned a lot at Alabama and Texas. Maybe if he was provided the proper resources, coordinators and assistants, he could succeed. Yeah, that's three maybes, but maybe I am on to something here.
Maybe.

Could be as you are saying.
A lot of HCs fail this first time at the job but succeed second go-around.
Kyle gained a lot of respect when he was at Bama and Sarkisian thought enough of him
to make Flood Texas' OC
Being part of Bama's championship team and the way TRxas is playing, Kyle will be getting another shot as a HC.
Florida might be a little too high of a goal for the Flood HC redemption tour , but just because I think that doesn't mean Florida won't look at Flood as a good candidate for their HC position .

Could be as you are saying.
A lot of HCs fail this first time at the job but succeed second go-around.
Kyle gained a lot of respect when he was at Bama and Sarkisian thought enough of him
to make Flood Texas' OC
Being part of Bama's championship team and the way TRxas is playing, Kyle will be getting another shot as a HC.
Florida might be a little to high of a goal on the Flood HC redemption tour , but just because I think that doesn't mean Florida won't look at Flood as a good candidate for their HC position .
Yeah, think Flood MAY get a shot at a G5 job, but maybe he doesn't want that headache. Think he is making $1.5-1.7M as a glorified coordinator at a top flight program. Why leave, except to get closer to home.
When the Temple HC gets fired, and it will happen in the next year or so, that would be a good gig for Kyle.

Seek help my friend. Your anti-Schiano stance is scary.
Shelby forgets, how many games has 2.0 won as an underdog ? Zero or 0 ?

Yea his 3 conference win peak and long list of upsets would be very attractive.

Surprising Alabama didn’t hire him away. Saban probably afraid Schiano would surpass his own GOAT accomplishments and glory, not to mention replace him in the Aflac commercials.

And it would cost too much flying Wagner to Tuscaloosa a couple of times.

Yeah, think Flood MAY get a shot at a G5 job, but maybe he doesn't want that headache. Think he is making $1.5-1.7M as a glorified coordinator at a top flight program. Why leave, except to get closer to home.
When the Temple HC gets fired, and it will happen in the next year or so, that would be a good gig for Kyle.
Shelby suggests circumstances of his firing (disguise, attempt to get grade changed, etc.) might be too much baggage. Not good PR.

Go Florida... go hire Flood. I'd love to find out.

• Haha
Reactions: Knight Shift
Shelby forgets, how many games has 2.0 won as an underdog ? Zero or 0 ?

Yea his 3 conference win peak and long list of upsets would be very attractive.

Surprising Alabama didn’t hire him away. Saban probably afraid Schiano would surpass his own GOAT accomplishments and glory, not to mention replace him in the Aflac commercials.

And it would cost too much flying Wagner to Tuscaloosa a couple of times.
We were favored @ Michigan State and @ Maryland in 2020? Seems unlikely.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT