ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Schiano would be a strong candidate for the Florida Job

a coach is loyal to his opportunities. I trust him that he currently believes that to be the case. But he also has to say that because he has to recruit.

But if he were to ever be offered Michigan, Ohio State, Florida, Miami, or similar, all bets are off, imo.

So then what exactly was the point of the mid-contract raise?

You said it was to prevent potential suitors from luring him away.
Based on your list, it seems the same teams who were threats at $4m/year are still there at $6m/year.

Note - I said this exact situation to you and others months ago.
Unless you are making HC Schiano the highest paid HC in the country, the argument "we need to pay him more now! Or else he'll leave for more money" is a dumb justification.

LOL - you couldn't have been more wrong. Pleae remind us who relentlessly stated that Schiano would never name a starter ahead of Wimsatt? See if you can get that right?
So you think Florida would have interest in Schiano if he had mutual interest ? Absolutely ridiculous, embarrassing opinion. Top programs hire HCs who win, and as a second pass if needed Coordinators from blue blood programs. Period.

So you think Florida would have interest in Schiano if he had mutual interest ? Absolutely ridiculous, embarrassing opinion. Top programs hire HCs who win, and as a second pass if needed Coordinators from blue blood programs. Period.
Answer my question loser...."Pleae remind us who relentlessly stated that Schiano would never name a starter ahead of Wimsatt? See if you can get that right?"

Reactions: scottsdaleal
So then what exactly was the point of the mid-contract raise?

You said it was to prevent potential suitors from luring him away.
Based on your list, it seems the same teams who were threats at $4m/year are still there at $6m/year.

Note - I said this exact situation to you and others months ago.
Unless you are making HC Schiano the highest paid HC in the country, the argument "we need to pay him more now! Or else he'll leave for more money" is a dumb justification.
To fairly compensate him for the job he’s done and the job he will do. If he does eventually leave, it wouldn’t be for he money, it would be for the brand.

Let me start by saying that I believe that Greg is an excellent football coach and program builder. That being said, we have to remember what happened at Tennessee. Those SEC schools have crazy expectations and believe that Nick Saban or Urban Meyer may come out of retirement and coach for them. The alums are apparently ready to raise the $26 million to can their head coach. That alone shows how crazy the expectations are. The previous coach led the Gators to three New Years Day bowls, winning them all, and they STILL fired him. Unless you want to go there to cash out at the end of your career, why would ANYBODY want to coach at one of those schools. With the transfer portal and NIL, the days of having teams that can just buy their way to success is over. Look at Memphis, Northern Iowa, and even Boston College now. Heck, even we beat Miami in a bowl game. Times have changed, fan expectations are unrealistic, and the higher you go, the greater your chance of getting axed. I think if Greg can get the field house in the next few years, and keep us going to bowl games every year why the heck would he ever want to leave Rutgers?

Scarlet Jerry
I hear what you’re saying. But I’d prefer the rationale to be , Greg would never leave Rutgers because he can get the same support there as he would anywhere else.

Genius. Michigan and Miami were phony. Fabricated to milk RU for more $$. Tell me why he didn’t take either job ? Jesus you are gullible. And Tennessee. They realized their huge mistake immediately and essentially fired him before his first day.

And name another NFL coach fired after two years.

And in CFB hiring circles, all that is ancient history anyway. He’s not remotely successful enough now to be a real candidate for a top SEC job. No chance-no how.
Michigan was not made up and you know it. Making an argument that's made up makes you look like a fool! Which we already knew.

Per Al - "He (Schiano) didn’t sign up to be a fundraiser, yet here we are." Wrong Al, Greg contractually agreed to help raise 50% of the anticipted cost of the fieldhouse before the project went forward. Beyond that, its been a given almost forever that the headcoach indeed play a role as a fundraiser and solicit donations from boosters. Not sure why you would think otherwise.
Notice that the level of effort isn’t specified and is intentionally left vague. IE what is he supposed to do to fundraise that 50%? It’s given that coaches schmooze big boosters, but that’s about it.

To fairly compensate him for the job he’s done and the job he will do. If he does eventually leave, it wouldn’t be for he money, it would be for the brand.
Greg might ne looked at by major brands once he proves he can make Rutgers into a top program.
Thy look at Greg1 and see he can build the ground floor but can't reach the upper level.
Greg 1 proved he can build,but except for one year, never proved to be the type of HC that could produce a top 25 team.
The brand names what someone they feel will make them an elite program again, not someone that will build them back to be a respectable program but not playoff material

To the morons who think Schiano would be a legit candidate for the Florida job, look at Napier’s coaching record before being hired. Or Norvell’s record before FSU hired him. Or Fisch’s success before Washington just hired him.

These hires don’t always work out, obviously, but big time programs are absolutely not ever going to confuse Schiano’s success with that of a winning coach. 6-6/3-6 isn’t in the same universe as what big time schools go after. Just look at what happened at Tennessee. Schiano might be good enough for RU but he’s completely underwhelming for national programs and would have no shot unless he has a couple of ten win seasons here. Then he’d be on the radar, and only then.

Michigan was not made up and you know it. Making an argument that's made up makes you look like a fool! Which we already knew.
No, I don’t know that. I believe it was baloney. Who said he interviewed. Him ? Did Michigan ? Was Miami made up ? Did Tennessee not happen ? Did he shine in Tampa ?

He’s an average coach, at best. His record proves it. Major programs don’t hire average HCs.

He’d get absolutely no consideration from Florida. Not from donors, the board, the president, nobody.

My big concern is that he delivered what he promised, but Rutgers is not in position to fulfill its contractually promised fieldhouse due to lack of support. This has to be very disappointing for him.
He has implied to nj.com that we will need a field house within 5 years.

And I feel very concerned that we will not provide adequate NIL support. Will he get tired of begging boosters for NIL? I sure hope not, but I’m concerned that he will. He didn’t sign up to be a fundraiser, yet here we are.

Come on Al. He’s publicly come out and said that’s not a top priority anymore. He doesn’t seem bothered by it at all. Your really just making things up here. Greg is a guy who turned down the Michigan job once before and stated publicly this is his final stop.

Reactions: newell138
Why Schiano will not be considered for Florida :

- Gainesville is too close to Tampa. We. Everyone remembers Schiano s experience with the Buccaneers.

- See Tennessee Vols reaction to Schiano. Won’t be much different with Gators.

Florida will get a P4 HC. Just won’t be Schiano.

I can see Campbell from Iowa State. / Dabo / James Franklin / etc as candidates.

Reactions: Plum Street
To the morons who think Schiano would be a legit candidate for the Florida job, look at Napier’s coaching record before being hired. Or Norvell’s record before FSU hired him. Or Fisch’s success before Washington just hired him.

These hires don’t always work out, obviously, but big time programs are absolutely not ever going to confuse Schiano’s success with that of a winning coach. 6-6/3-6 isn’t in the same universe as what big time schools go after. Just look at what happened at Tennessee. Schiano might be good enough for RU but he’s completely underwhelming for national programs and would have no shot unless he has a couple of ten win seasons here. Then he’d be on the radar, and only then.
And yet he was offered a contract at Tennessee. It wasn't the AD or President of the University that killed the deal but a radio announcer, Clay Travis with false facts that killed the deal.

No, I don’t know that. I believe it was baloney. Who said he interviewed. Him ? Did Michigan ? Was Miami made up ? Did Tennessee not happen ? Did he shine in Tampa ?

He’s an average coach, at best. His record proves it. Major programs don’t hire average HCs.

He’d get absolutely no consideration from Florida. Not from donors, the board, the president, nobody.
Seriously?? Yes Michigan AD Bill Martin had spoken about. After the first meeting he accepted it but changed his mind the next morning. The next day Martin talked to Schiano again. Schiano never accepted but he asked for another day to talk to his people but didn't need it. Were you in a coma during that because it didn't fit your narrative??

Shelby is wrong again.

Schiano Michigan Coach For 6 hours

Reactions: RU at the shore
Seriously?? Yes Michigan AD Bill Martin had spoken about. After the first meeting he accepted it but changed his mind the next morning. The next day Martin talked to Schiano again. Schiano never accepted but he asked for another day to talk to his people but didn't need it. Were you in a coma during that because it didn't fit your narrative??
What are we really discussing here ? Not whether Michigan considered hiring Schiano 15+ years ago. And not whether Miami was also interested. The question at hand is, do you think Florida would possibly consider Schiano now if he were also interested ?

I say, absolutely not. Hasn’t achieved anything close to what they’d expect from viable candidates. Hiring is a ‘what have you done for me lately’ affair, and he hasn’t done anything. Peak 6-6/3-6. Nope.

Last edited:
What is a false fact ?
he probably meant that he accused Schiano of likely involvement in the Sandusky coverup, which even as a hater I don’t believe, as an excuse to nix the deal…while the real reason was he just didn’t meet their HC hire success track record standards. Yet he was a more legit candidate for that job than for the Florida job now because he hasn’t won much in all the years since.

Last edited:
What are we really discussing here ? Not whether Michigan considered hiring Schiano 15+ years ago. And not whether Miami was also interested. The question at hand is, do you think Florida would possibly consider Schiano now if he were also interested ?

I say, absolutely not. Hasn’t achieved anything close to what they’d expect from viable candidates. Hiring is a ‘what have you done for me lately’ affair, and he hasn’t done anything. Peak 6-6/3-6. Nope.
Pretty lame dude. You claimed that you don’t believe GS had a legitimate offer from UM. White Bus came back with details. Now you’re moving the goal posts to something else.

You also ignored @RU-Kidding ’s question about Wimsatt.

Pretty lame dude. You claimed that you don’t believe GS had a legitimate offer from UM. White Bus came back with details. Now you’re moving the goal posts to something else.

You also ignored @RU-Kidding ’s question about Wimsatt.
No, Einstein. moving the goalpost is what you are trying to do. This thread is about the likely Florida opening, not about my incorrect view that Schiano would stick with his shiny 4 star bust no matter what, a view many here shared, probably even the majority.

But if it pleases you to see me admit being wrong about Wimsatt, which I acknowledged at the time, go ahead and gloat.

No, Einstein. moving the goalpost is what you are trying to do. This thread is about the likely Florida opening, not about my incorrect view that Schiano would stick with his shiny 4 star bust no matter what, a view many here shared, probably even the majority.

But if it pleases you to see me admit being wrong about Wimsatt, which I acknowledged at the time, go ahead and gloat.
Well at least you admitted one of the things you were wrong about.

Your brought up not believing the Michigan offer, not anyone else. You’re really not very bright, are you?

he probably meant that he accused Schiano of likely involvement in the Sandusky coverup, which even as a hater I don’t believe, as an excuse to nix the deal…while the real reason was he just didn’t meet their HC hire success track record standards. Yet he was a more legit candidate for that job than for the Florida job now because he hasn’t won much in all the years since.
Yes. Shelby was a car . Shelby is a woman’s name . Is that how you identify ?

No you said Schiano people made up the fact he was offered. He actually accepted the job and was supposed to return the next day. And he refused it twice. This is common knowledge from both sides you just refuse to accept because it doesn't fit your false narrative. Talk in the real world sometime

Well at least you admitted one of the things you were wrong about.

Your brought up not believing the Michigan offer, not anyone else. You’re really not very bright, are you?

He was good enough to be hired by an NFL team as the head coach but not good enough for Michigan to have been interested. Lol

Reactions: lakejj
Supposedly, the University Florida BOT is meeting with the expected result that they will Fire their Head Football Coach. Even if they don’t decide to Fire him today, he’s a dead coach walking, and it’s just a matter of time before they get rid of him. And once that happens, it will be a matter of time before Jimmy Sexton, Schiano’s agent, floats his name for the job.

I am always monitoring the college football landscape for risks to our program, which is why I brought up last September on an NJ.com group podcast that we had to extend Schiano and give him a suitable increase in a question to our best writers. I’m thankful this was done in a timely manner, thx in part to articles that Steve Politi wrote, advocating as such. So Hobbs pushed for the extensión and suitable raise, and got it done. Probably his biggest accomplishment in the last year, before leaving.

And consequently, we’ve gotten commitments from outstanding prospects, and are poised to enjoy one of our best seasons ever.

But unfortunately, success can be a double edged sword, especially when in college football, the haves take from the have nots. Rutgers takes from Temple. Penn State takes from Rutgers. And Ohio State and Michigan takes from Penn State. Greg Schiano’s name will be mentioned for reputable program openings, imo, because he has done a tremendous job in turning our program around. In particular, he has the skillset and name recognition to be successful at Florida.

The University of Florida is a Have. They are a selector school which has won two National Championships within the last 20 years, and another in 1996, which is one I attended, in person at the SuperDome.

They have top notch facilities, strong fan support, strong fan attendance, and most importantly, the financial support to win at the highest level. They even have a jet to shuttle around coaches and recruits.

Financial Support is where we are severely lacking. NIL support isn’t where it needs to be and the Fieldhouse, which was a contractual point, isn’t going to be built anytime soon.

This would put us at a very disadvantageous position, if Schiano were to have the opportunity to choose between Florida and Rutgers. Other risks are we don’t have an athletic director and the status of our President is unclear, to say the least.

Florida fans think they’re getting Urban Meyer or Nick Saban. But if those types of candidates fall through, Greg Schiano would be very attractive to them. He’s making a decent salary at $6M a year, but they could afford to pay him $8M. They’d Give him a huge budget for his coaching staff. The Florida job would also carry risks for Schiano. He’d be expected to win right away, even though that team needs talent. Whereas at Rutgers, he could go 6-6 to 7-5 in perpetuity.

So what’s the point of this rambling soliloquy?
We haven’t done enough to support Greg Schiano.

So, If you have any inclination of supporting NIL, NOW is the time. Schiano has said NIL is his #1 priority.

I’ve given what I can, but am also contemplating doing more. I understand that all of us have our budget priorities and that’s fine. This isn’t curing Cancer and I’ve given my tithe to my Catholic Parish.

But if you want to see Rutgers continue to be successful, if you want to build Rutgers into a selector school, and Championship Contender, you have to do your part. It doesn’t happen on its own. Show me a successful football team, and I’ll show you the supporters who make it happen. The Towers and the Garruti’s have done their part. Now it’s on us.

And if you don’t want to do NIL, Give to the RFund. We have to be proactive and worry about these things now, not wait till he gets another offer. Below are the relevant links.

Add to the list of another dumb post and why people don’t take you seriously.

Ever.

You're the one that made the claim that the Michigan offer was "baloney", and now you're saying "um actually that's not germane to this thread". Okay, so why did you bring it up? Seems to be quite a bit of cognitive dissonance at play.

Reactions: ClassOf02
Come on Al. He’s publicly come out and said that’s not a top priority anymore. He doesn’t seem bothered by it at all. Your really just making things up here. Greg is a guy who turned down the Michigan job once before and stated publicly this is his final stop.
NIL has changed everything, and if we don’t raise competitive amounts of NIL, I’m afraid this will not be his final stop. Would you stay at a place which couldn’t provide you with the necessary resources to be successful?

Nil is a top priority for him and he’s said so, publicly.

NIL has changed everything, and if we don’t raise competitive amounts of NIL, I’m afraid this will not be his final stop. Would you stay at a place which couldn’t provide you with the necessary resources to be successful?

I think it’s going to be just as hard to win at Florida and they expect you to win 9-10 games a year or your gone.

Supposedly, the University Florida BOT is meeting with the expected result that they will Fire their Head Football Coach. Even if they don’t decide to Fire him today, he’s a dead coach walking, and it’s just a matter of time before they get rid of him. And once that happens, it will be a matter of time before Jimmy Sexton, Schiano’s agent, floats his name for the job.

I am always monitoring the college football landscape for risks to our program, which is why I brought up last September on an NJ.com group podcast that we had to extend Schiano and give him a suitable increase in a question to our best writers. I’m thankful this was done in a timely manner, thx in part to articles that Steve Politi wrote, advocating as such. So Hobbs pushed for the extensión and suitable raise, and got it done. Probably his biggest accomplishment in the last year, before leaving.

And consequently, we’ve gotten commitments from outstanding prospects, and are poised to enjoy one of our best seasons ever.

But unfortunately, success can be a double edged sword, especially when in college football, the haves take from the have nots. Rutgers takes from Temple. Penn State takes from Rutgers. And Ohio State and Michigan takes from Penn State. Greg Schiano’s name will be mentioned for reputable program openings, imo, because he has done a tremendous job in turning our program around. In particular, he has the skillset and name recognition to be successful at Florida.

The University of Florida is a Have. They are a selector school which has won two National Championships within the last 20 years, and another in 1996, which is one I attended, in person at the SuperDome.

They have top notch facilities, strong fan support, strong fan attendance, and most importantly, the financial support to win at the highest level. They even have a jet to shuttle around coaches and recruits.

Financial Support is where we are severely lacking. NIL support isn’t where it needs to be and the Fieldhouse, which was a contractual point, isn’t going to be built anytime soon.

This would put us at a very disadvantageous position, if Schiano were to have the opportunity to choose between Florida and Rutgers. Other risks are we don’t have an athletic director and the status of our President is unclear, to say the least.

Florida fans think they’re getting Urban Meyer or Nick Saban. But if those types of candidates fall through, Greg Schiano would be very attractive to them. He’s making a decent salary at $6M a year, but they could afford to pay him $8M. They’d Give him a huge budget for his coaching staff. The Florida job would also carry risks for Schiano. He’d be expected to win right away, even though that team needs talent. Whereas at Rutgers, he could go 6-6 to 7-5 in perpetuity.

So what’s the point of this rambling soliloquy?
We haven’t done enough to support Greg Schiano.

So, If you have any inclination of supporting NIL, NOW is the time. Schiano has said NIL is his #1 priority.

I’ve given what I can, but am also contemplating doing more. I understand that all of us have our budget priorities and that’s fine. This isn’t curing Cancer and I’ve given my tithe to my Catholic Parish.

But if you want to see Rutgers continue to be successful, if you want to build Rutgers into a selector school, and Championship Contender, you have to do your part. It doesn’t happen on its own. Show me a successful football team, and I’ll show you the supporters who make it happen. The Towers and the Garruti’s have done their part. Now it’s on us.

And if you don’t want to do NIL, Give to the RFund. We have to be proactive and worry about these things now, not wait till he gets another offer. Below are the relevant links.

Al you are out of the loop. Schiano is not going to any other school regardless of how many times his name is mentioned. I’m surprised you don’t know this by now. Sleep well he’s going nowhere .

Reactions: lakejj

It seems more and more that HC Schiano isn't actually committed to Rutgers and NJ like many claim.

1. He accepted the Michigan job.
2. He left because he didn't believe Rutgers could get to the Big Ten. Rutgers in the AAC wasn't good enough for him.
3. You are claiming he is ready to bolt if we don't have NIL to rival the elites.

Will Rutgers ever have support similar to OSU, UF, Bama, etc?
If not then run HC Schiano out now.
People complain about "stepping stone" HCs.

Sounds a lot like HC Schiano (if Al is correct).

It's kinda known they will ask Meyer how he feels and he will turn them down and the top 2 candidates are Lane Kiffin & Jedd Fisch.

Al you are out of the loop. Schiano is not going to any other school regardless of how many times his name is mentioned. I’m surprised you don’t know this by now. Sleep well he’s going nowhere .

Nothing is forever. Coaches burnout. Coaches retire. No one knows what Coaches will do.

Regardless, the point is we should be giving Schiano the support he needs, so he can maximize his results, and make his job easier.

Recruiting takes too much effort here and it would be a lot easier if he had appropriate NIL support and a Fieldhouse. Once we have this, the Quincy Porters will be less inclined to go elsewhere because our location is the best. But we haven’t been able to take advantage of that because we don’t have the support. This should be a program that consistently competes for Championships. I hope we will get there someday.

Without reading the 2 pages of this thread, is Al, (AL!!!!) offering up our football coach for another job??

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT