ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Rutgers baseball home series vs. No. 13 Michigan

Rutgers takes game one against the Wolverines.

After Friday's win, there are just eight more games against Big Ten competition remaining in the regular season.

Entering the weekend, Rutgers sat in ninth place in the conference. Eight teams make the Big Ten Tournament. Taking 2-of-3 or possibly a sweep would be huge.

Maryland is next weekend followed by Minnesota. Scarlet Knights must take care of business here in the home stretch.

Here's a link to B1G standings and results/schedule for every team.

BIG BIG BIG win today.. okay, maybe not that big. But much needed 15-9 win. Johnny O is a work horse. Both starters got roughed up early today. Only difference is Johnny O gave RU 6+ innings, while Umich’s pitcher was out in the 3rd. Looks like we got a lot of walks and some big hits in the 7th. Broke open a 7-7 tie to go up 15-7. Let’s win tomorrow

Rutgers takes game one against the Wolverines.

After Friday's win, there are just eight more games against Big Ten competition remaining in the regular season.

Entering the weekend, Rutgers sat in ninth place in the conference. Eight teams make the Big Ten Tournament. Taking 2-of-3 or possibly a sweep would be huge.

Maryland is next weekend followed by Minnesota. Scarlet Knights must take care of business here in the home stretch.

Here's a link to B1G standings and results/schedule for every team.

15 runs with no homers. And they said it couldn't be done! Believe Michigan had been undefeated in the BIG. Go RU!

Baseball Overcomes No. 13 Michigan Late, 15-9

Scarlet Knights break game open with eight runs in the seventh inning

PISCATAWAY, N.J. (May 4, 2018) –Rutgers baseball scored eight runs in the bottom of the seventh to break a 7-7 tie on the way to beating 13th-ranked and first-place Michigan, 15-9, in the Friday series opener at Bainton Field. The 15 runs scored were the most by the Scarlet Knights in a Big Ten game since joining the conference in 2015.

The victory propelled RU to 11-5 at Bainton Field this season, 19-4 when scoring six or more runs, 7-9 in the Big Ten and 24-18 overall. It was Rutgers’ fourth win this season against an opponent appearing the national polls. UM dropped to 27-14 and 12-3 in the league.

Fifth-year senior Chris Folinusz sparked the offensive attack by finishing with four hits and five RBIs, both career highs. He leads the lineup with 16 multiple-hit games this season. Redshirt sophomore Kevin Blum had a productive trip each time with two walks, a double, a single and a sacrifice bunt, while junior Jawuan Harris was also on base four times, hitting two doubles, drawing two walks and scoring four times. He joined classmates Nick Matera and Carmen Sclafani with two RBIs. In addition, Rutgers drew a season-high 11 walks at the plate and went 7-for-22 with runners in scoring position.

On the mound, senior John O’Reilly left with the lead in a 6.1-inning start. The right-hander struck out four. Following up, redshirt sophomore Tommy Genuario (4-0) was credited with the win by working 1.2 innings out of the bullpen. Junior Serafino Brito closed out the ballgame by pitching the ninth.

After the Wolverines connected for a two-out, two-run triple to square the game in the top of the seventh, the Scarlet Knights immediately responded by sending 12 batters to the plate to score eight runs on three hits and six walks.

Folinusz ripped the first pitch of the rally up the middle for a single and senior Kyle Walker came up as a pinch hitter to walk. Sophomore Kevin Welsh drew his third walk of the day and the bases were loaded. Following a pitching change, Blum earned a walk on a full count to push across the go-ahead run. A force out at home went as the first out, but redshirt freshman Dan DiGeorgio, who has a 10-game hitting streak, connected for an RBI single to make it 9-7. Matera, Sclafani and Harris all eyed RBI walks to keep the line moving. Folinusz came up again and broke it open by lining a two-run single to right field. The frame was capped by an RBI groundout from junior Luke Bowerbank. Rutgers has now had six rallies of at least seven runs this season.

Genuario and Brito combined to keep the lead from there. The all-time series between RU and UM is now even at five.

The scoring started in the first inning when the Wolverines connected for a pair of long balls to take a quick 3-0 lead. In the bottom half, the Scarlet Knights answered with three runs with two outs. Matera started with a single, with Sclafani, Harris and Folinusz all following with RBI double to even the game. RU is up to 106 RBIs with two down this season.

No one touched the plate in the second, but the visitors used a sacrifice fly to reclaim the lead in the third. The rally was cut short after RU executed an 8-6-3-4-3 rundown to end the inning. Right after, Matera drew a walk and Harris doubled with one out to put two in scoring position. Folinusz brought them both home on a two-run single to put the Scarlet Knights ahead for the first time.

It stayed that way until the fifth when Dominic Clementi hit a solo homer to tie it up at five. In the bottom half, Harris scored on a passed ball and Matera lifted a sacrifice fly in the sixth to make it 7-5. Michigan would match those runs, but Rutgers had the decisive blow in the seventh.

Jeff Criswell (3-2) suffered the loss for the visitors with three runs against. The Wolverines were charged with a season-high 14 earned runs against, having entered the weekend ranked No. 19 nationally with a 3.25 ERA.

Game two of the series is set for 1 p.m. on Saturday. Freshman Harry Rutkowski will make the start for the Scarlet Knights.

NOTES

Head coach Joe Litterio is now in sole possession of third place in RU wins with 119 as skipper … DiGeorgio stole a base to make it 76 as a team, ninth-most in a season in school history … the game lasted three hours, 39 minutes … the temperature at first pitch was 82 degrees.

After the Purdue series I said we had a shot despite having Michigan and Minny, the top 2 teams in the conference, at home with only Maryland on the road. Spit the 6 at home, or better. and take at least 2 from The Twerps.

RU Baseball scoring more against UM in one game than our football team past two years combined.

The team ahead of RU, Michigan St, is losing tonight , 13-0 in the 5th, to PSU.

Today we lost 6-1 but in the bottom of the 8th we had first and second with no outs. We hit a long fly to the right field fall. There was a big disagreement as the fielder hit the wall and fell down. I thought the fielder didn't catch the ball but was not certain. The ump from second base ruled he did which got Coach Joe Litterio quite upset. The guy on second had gone to third and was called out when the throw went to second. I thought the bases should have been loaded with no outs. Litterio yelled to the ump "check the video tonight".I have been going to the games for years and this was really only the first time I saw him really argue a call. The RU bench was very upset as well. The umps gathered together and let the play remain as a double play. Joe told a few of the umps that they blew the call. We were that close to big inning and I think we got the shaft. I wish there was a replay to see, How did others see this call?

Reactions: biazza38
Today we lost 6-1 but in the bottom of the 8th we had first and second with no outs. We hit a long fly to the right field fall. There was a big disagreement as the fielder hit the wall and fell down. I thought the fielder didn't catch the ball but was not certain. The ump from second base ruled he did which got Coach Joe Litterio quite upset. The guy on second had gone to third and was called out when the throw went to second. I thought the bases should have been loaded with no outs. Litterio yelled to the ump "check the video tonight".I have been going to the games for years and this was really only the first time I saw him really argue a call. The RU bench was very upset as well. The umps gathered together and let the play remain as a double play. Joe told a few of the umps that they blew the call. We were that close to big inning and I think we got the shaft. I wish there was a replay to see, How did others see this call?
Here is the video

Thanks for posting. It looks like he did make the catch. I guess Joe was wrong and I was wrong as well. That was one outstanding play. I hope we can at least win 2 more games for a winning season. Of course I still hope that we can win as many as possible & make the BIG 10 Tournament but if we don't I at least want to see a winning season.

Reactions: biazza38
It was clearly a catch. I suspect he was arguing the tag up at 2nd.

I was following yesterday's game and when Blum loaded the bases in the second inning with two walks and hit batsmen, I knew we were going to be looking at a tough day. He even had an error on a bad throw on a pick off. Even though he got out of the inning with no runs, you just have to have better pitching.
It looks like our team has some decent moving parts, but not enough to dominate in the BIG.

I know we don't get the HS pitchers that are trying to decide between college or MLB draft, but how were these guys in HS. Seems like they aren't top tier and no disrespect to them either. Maybe the better guys don't want to come here. We should have a better staff for a few years in a row instead of reloading.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT