ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Rutgers Basketball snaps three game losing, defeating Michigan 69-59

With this team - maybe… We’re so bad from 3 that the typical need to respect the perimeter isn’t really there anyway. Our guys routinely get open looks from the outside - they just miss them.

Purely at statistical face value this team is hitting 43.9% of its 2s. That’s dreadful - but then we’re only hitting 28% of our 3s which is even worse. When you consider that two point shots generally result in a lot more foul calls that gave us scoring opportunities from the line not reflected in the 43.9% - yeah sadly it’s possible that with this team (and only this one), not shooting 3s at all would in the least, be a far better strategy than only shooting 3s.
While teams don't make guarding the perimeter a priority against us, they still guard it. If an opponent actually knew we wouldn't attempt a three I imagine you would see a defensive strategy that would essentially force every attempt to be a midrange attempt.

While teams don't make guarding the perimeter a priority against us, they still guard it. If an opponent actually knew we wouldn't attempt a three I imagine you would see a defensive strategy that would essentially force every attempt to be a midrange attempt.
That’s true. Unfortunately though, the reality with this team is (pre Jeremiah - he’s TBD) we’ve been terrible at penetrating anyway. Most of our paint points come on put backs or transition. We already take a lot of mid range shots. So as I said - I’m not sure. It would be close. Certainly if we suddenly for one day just decided to avoid 3s the impact would be minimal.

Read MI and IN boards
Would recommend. It's a good time

Disaster_Girl.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT