ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers basketball to play St. John's in exhibition for charity

St. John’s has entire Big East home schedule at MSG or Barclays except for 2 early season games. Seems like they expect Rick P to be the Coach Prime of college basketball attendance.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
Easiest way to get to St. John’s game from NJ is NJT to Penn, LIRR from Penn to Jamaica, and yellow cab from Jamaica to Carnesecca.

LIRR trains run every 10-15 minutes from Penn to Jamaica on weekends and trip takes 20 minutes. Taxi takes 10 minutes.

The arena is tiny, no bad seats, but the seats are the least comfortable I have ever experienced.

The neighborhood is suburban upper middle class with lots of nice restaurants and no bars.
I'm not sure there are yellow cabs on Jamaica Ave. I doubt it, maybe green ones that serve outer boroughs. I would not search for a cab down there.Maybe sketchy car services or uber. Once you leave station , toughen up-- knowing some RU fans when it gets dark you'll be scared to death. Drive to St John's like 99.9% 0f those going there do.

I'm not sure there are yellow cabs on Jamaica Ave. I doubt it, maybe green ones that serve outer boroughs. I would not search for a cab down there.Maybe sketchy car services or uber. Once you leave station , toughen up-- knowing some RU fans when it gets dark you'll be scared to death. Drive to St John's like 99.9% 0f those going there do.
Good point about yellow versus green cabs. I’ve taken taxis and Ubers from this location and the congestion around the station means Ubers can take 10-15 minutes to get to the pick up point even if they accept the ride when a few blocks away. The taxis are always waiting under the tracks.

Mayhem in that location is 24/7 but I’ve never had a problem. If RU fans are scared to get a taxi in New York City then let them drive to St. John’s which I don’t think is worth it from New Jersey.

Last edited:
Good point about yellow versus green cabs. I’ve taken taxis and Ubers from this location and the congestion around the station means Ubers can take 10-15 minutes to get to the pick up point even if they accept the ride when a few blocks away. The taxis are always waiting under the tracks.

Mayhem in that location is 24/7 but I’ve never had a problem. If RU fans are scared to get a taxi in New York City then let them drive to St. John’s which I don’t think is worth it from New Jersey.
My wife was raised in that area and she won't walk around there at night. Honestly the station is safe if you don't go outside but you say mayhem in that area , I say downright unsafe after businesses close. I drive constantly between NJ and Long Island and it's not easy -- wait till you read the complaints from those traveling to game.

Doesn't look like it will be streamed, but I'm working on it being streamed from our RutgersRivals IG account or even our YouTube.
I am surprised that they didn't find a way to make a pay per view broadcast to raise extra money for the cause. I can't make it to Queens, but would be happy to pay to be able to watch it live and also help out a good cause.

Reactions: RUDiddy777 and RU89
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT