ADVERTISEMENT

Rutgers basketball to play St. John's in exhibition for charity

Tango Two

Aug 21, 2001
North Brunswick, New Jersey
Rutgers and St. John’s originally had planned to meet in a closed-door scrimmage on that day, but converted it into a public exhibition for a good cause – an increasingly common occurrence across the sport.

St. Johns Coach got two NJ Recruits one just the other day.

They are going to be a problem

St. Johns Coach got two NJ Recruits one just the other day.

They are going to be a problem
Pitino is a a great recruiter and now makes St,Johns a contender for the Big East Championship.

Bought tickets. Looking forward to game - I mean exhibition ! Never been to Carneseca Arena.

Missed that game when Douby went nuts in the last game of year which we had to win to make the BET which Douby won for us!

Not a good memory for the old timers but before my time. The intro to this 1979 Eastern Regional Final broadcast with a clip of the St.John’s tip in that ended a possible RU run to the Final Four with only Penn in the way of a matchup with Magic in Salt Lake City.

• Sad
Reactions: runrutgersrun
The Hall was nuts for not hiring him 2 years ago.

I'm sure he would have left Iona for them.
But it’s not like shoe would have done what johnnies are doing now to support, financially or otherwise.

Shoe wants or thinks it deserves a seat at the big person table but doesn’t want to invest or spend what’s needed.

St John's is actually in a very good neighborhood . There is parking in their lots , assuming no students. Very difficult to park in streets. No public transportation ( subways) except busses and difficult connections.
Oh by the way Trump was raised down the hill near Jamaica ave.

Reactions: MiloTalon13
By the way there are a couple of decent restaurants nearby down Union Turnpike .Great bagel shops too. The arena is small and cramed.

Their baseball stadium nearby was a former minor league stadium and their soccer field is above a parking lot. All nearby.

Easiest way to get to St. John’s game from NJ is NJT to Penn, LIRR from Penn to Jamaica, and yellow cab from Jamaica to Carnesecca.

LIRR trains run every 10-15 minutes from Penn to Jamaica on weekends and trip takes 20 minutes. Taxi takes 10 minutes.

The arena is tiny, no bad seats, but the seats are the least comfortable I have ever experienced.

The neighborhood is suburban upper middle class with lots of nice restaurants and no bars.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT