ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball GAMEDAY THREAD: Rutgers Hoops vs. St. John's in Charity Exhibition

There no other way to interpret someone saying Rutgers basketball has more money than Duke. Sorry dude.
We could easily pay one player as much as we want. You don't think the co-founder of Home Depot or the former CEO of Motorola could empty their wallets if they wanted to to compete? It comes down to rich individuals and what they want to give. Ten years after graduation RU graduates make more than any school in the country, and we have 360,000 living graduates. We're not exactly poor. I would bet that the current earnings of our top graduates surpasses that of Duke.

Agreed, think that is fine tbh.. do the same thing when we scrimmage depaul (or whoever our next scrimmage is), keep testing before games start.. No biggie
Unfortunately, Pike's history is he'll still be doing this 10 games in and cost us wins that might keep us out of the NCAA tourney. The Izzo's of the world know who should be playing after two weeks of practice.

Reactions: mikeylew1992
We could easily pay one player as much as we want. You don't think the co-founder of Home Depot or the former CEO of Motorola could empty their wallets if they wanted to to compete? It comes down to rich individuals and what they want to give. Ten years after graduation RU graduates make more than any school in the country, and we have 360,000 living graduates. We're not exactly poor. I would bet that the current earnings of our top graduates surpasses that of Duke.
You should tell them to get Flagg then. Hurry!

Unfortunately, Pike's history is he'll still be doing this 10 games in and cost us wins that might keep us out of the NCAA tourney. The Izzo's of the world know who should be playing after two weeks of practice.
Like haters are so weird. Thought we got rid of these kinds of fans already.

He started the game with one guard on the floor and St. John’s pressing which led to four quick turnovers. There were lineups today that we would never see in a real game.
How could you have practiced for a month and turn the ball over four times early against the press. Do they still let Hyatt dribble up the floor?

Quick Box score takes.

Derek, JMike, and Gavin are game ready

AWill, missed 22-23, and Noah, played 11 gms and missed the rest of 22-23, will take time to get their basketball legs back.

Hyatt is Hyatt, will come off the bench at the 3 and 4 when Mag is ready.
Cliff is Cliff
Woolf will be the third big when Mag is 100%

I like Oscar and would love to be proven wrong but he won't affect our win total this year.

Chol shows potential and will take time to contribute offensively, he did rebound well, 5 in 11 minutes, and could be a 4th Big option behind Cliff, Woolf and Mag.

Sadly, I could see us playing small alot with Mag at 4 and even Gavin at the 4 with 3 guards later in the season especially if Jeremiah Williams gets his waiver to play.

St.Johns won because of better 3 point shooting and offensive rebounding.Davis was Rutgers best player.Lack of scoring from power forward position .Great game for a scrimmage because both teams were battling right to the end of the second overtime.
Woolf was disappointing

How did the new players look defensively?

Chol 5 boards in 11 minutes is nice to see. He needs to contribute more than just 3 point shooting. If he can play some D and rebound, he should be above Oskar

FWIW the story I heard is Rutgers wasn't the top bidder for Ace, but they were in the ballpark. It wasn't just money. It wasn't just relationships. It was the combo of both that got it done. Same recipe for Dylan. If people think Dylan will be at RU bc they out bid Kansas, that doesn't sound like a reasonable scenario

You have officially made it to my ignore list.

Not that it matters to me any more, but maybe someone needs to look in to giving this guy a timeout or even a ban. No place for this nonsense.
But, C'mon.. he "had no other choice" but to call you dumb.

None.

Not a single other option.

He looked at every conceivable response. Even ran it through ChatGPT.

HE HAD NO CHOICE!

It's not hard to understand why Ace is coming here beyond the money and AOT founder and Coach Knight's family history, Rutgers was one of the few P6s that was also recruiting JMike as a priority target, period end of subject. Stop with all the other stuff.

Last edited:
Reactions: RutgersChow
How did the new players look defensively?

Chol 5 boards in 11 minutes is nice to see. He needs to contribute more than just 3 point shooting. If he can play some D and rebound, he should be above Oskar

FWIW the story I heard is Rutgers wasn't the top bidder for Ace, but they were in the ballpark. It wasn't just money. It wasn't just relationships. It was the combo of both that got it done. Same recipe for Dylan. If people think Dylan will be at RU bc they out bid Kansas, that doesn't sound like a reasonable scenario
JMike looked very good on D. Reminded me a lot of JY on that end. Really disruptive, moves his feet well and gets all up into his guy’s shit.

Austin Williams also looked good on D, he will find minutes because of what he does on that end. Late in the game Pike was using Austin as a situation sub for Gavin when he wanted a stop. Didn’t show much on offense but plays very physical on both ends.

Gavin got lost a decent amount early on and gave up some open looks as a result. He did seem to adjust a bit as the game went on. I have no doubt he’ll be able to figure it out with time but there’s definitely room for improvement.

Noah looked pretty good, made one of the biggest defensive plays of the game towards the end of regulation. Picked his man’s pocket clean at half court and brought it the other way for a score.

As for Chol, the big let down for me was he seemed a bit over eager to try and score and made some poor decisions. There was one play that stood out where Cliff was open calling for a lob and Chol pulled up for a three pointer instead and missed.

Reading this thread was exciting... Excellent scrimmage opponent..Don't know if any big ten team is better than st. Johns..don't see Pitino losing to that Purdue team..he also looks good for his age..

JMike looked very good on D. Reminded me a lot of JY on that end. Really disruptive, moves his feet well and gets all up into his guy’s shit.

Austin Williams also looked good on D, he will find minutes because of what he does on that end. Late in the game Pike was using Austin as a situation sub for Gavin when he wanted a stop. Didn’t show much on offense but plays very physical on both ends.

Gavin got lost a decent amount early on and gave up some open looks as a result. He did seem to adjust a bit as the game went on. I have no doubt he’ll be able to figure it out with time but there’s definitely room for improvement.

Noah looked pretty good, made one of the biggest defensive plays of the game towards the end of regulation. Picked his man’s pocket clean at half court and brought it the other way for a score.

As for Chol, the big let down for me was he seemed a bit over eager to try and score and made some poor decisions. There was one play that stood out where Cliff was open calling for a lob and Chol pulled up for a three pointer instead and missed.

Yeah, I saw his preseason interview and chol was saying we should expect alot of buckets from him. Maybe got a little too excited to showcase his offensive prowess. If you're reading this chol, I'm rooting for your kid but just play your position and know your roll on the team. They don't need you to be Jason Tatum..need you to be more of a jaren Jackson jr...let the shot come to you don't force it. You stay on the court with hustle and defense,

But, C'mon.. he "had no other choice" but to call you dumb.

None.

Not a single other option.

He looked at every conceivable response. Even ran it through ChatGPT.

HE HAD NO CHOICE!

I disagree with people on this board but I usually just laugh it off, especially when it seems like the person is older. I've been going on the football board recently and I'm starting to notice a group of you guys that behave like youre on 4chan. I really dislike the 4chan crowd that just go around social media trying to piss people off and trigger old people. Just saying a bunch of sh*t they would never say in real life.. it's a real toxic element and the cause of many of the worlds problems today...would be nice if a message board about sports can be where men discuss sports without little petty, highschool girl energy. But alas, it's the internet and there's always some bored people trying to bring excitement to their lives by arguing with people on the internet..

Reactions: RUDiddy777
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT