ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Rutgers Basketball's struggles continued as they lose to Iowa on the road

I’m not the first to say this, but it bears repeating that our guards and even forwards need to find ways to get Cliff the ball in situations where he‘s not triple covered. Drive and dish, alley oops, , etc. Doing this one thing would make a huge difference in our games, by energizing Cliff.

Energize Cliff and you energize the RAC which energizes the team. Paul was a maestro at that.

Be that as it may, no player should ever be disinterested. Not at this level.
Perhaps, but Cliff likely came back thinking Cam and Paul would be here.

Now he’s probably thinking 2024.

It’s a shit show, can say it’s not good he’s disinterested, but like I said I can’t blame him.

Reactions: biazza38
Stop these we got screwed by Paul… people on this board always were critical of Paul … he was not the preferred guy as is proven every game now. Palmquist nice guy not D1 in the B1G …We are a poor- poor passing team Derek Simpson gets punked inside…What bothers most is the wild drives while throwing the ball up … No DISCIPLINE … feel bad for Cliff and Mag .

Last edited:
No this isn’t about who got the whistles… it’s about a team that is weak in so many areas at this moment.
yes and no. Iowa 21-24 from the line.
It’s a factor. We get no calls. Blame Pike for that. Freshman Center hooks Cliff and freshman gets the call. It’s not just the call. We should be getting the call.
Iowa shooting fouls early.
Iowa in bonus early.

Was it why we lost …. Hmmm probably not but stats dont lie. Fouls and foul shots….

• Wow
Reactions: cRURah
You think the baseline level of play of this team is WORSE than this? Based on what?
Well the last two games we actually won rebounding. Today our three point shooting got to 31%. Yet we still weren’t even competitive. Cliff looks disinterested. Wait til they’re 0-6 in conference and other members give up mentally. There’s already no offensive sets. Wait til half the team packs it in and it really becomes 1 on 5 ball with worse Def than last year. It will get uglier. I was one of the ones in Aug who saw less talent and was worried. I was one of the ones in the first few games who wasn’t at all thrilled because the fundamentals were poor. No one listened to us. We were telling the truth. Now the season is almost half over and people are viewing the rest of the season with rose colored glasses. Trust us, this team is what you see and it will become more frustrating.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
yes and no. Iowa 21-24 from the line.
It’s a factor. We get no calls. Blame Pike for that. Freshman Center hooks Cliff and freshman gets the call. It’s not just the call. We should be getting the call.
Iowa shooting fouls early.
Iowa in bonus early.

Was it why we lost …. Hmmm probably not but stats dont lie. Fouls and foul shots….
News flash, bad players foul more often.

Reactions: 78CollegeAve
Blaming Paul and Spencer for our frailties is comical… actually sad… but just realize how much this is costing us.

Reactions: RUBlackout
Blaming Paul and Spencer for our frailties is comical… actually sad… but just realize how much this is costing us.
Nah I mean even with them we're a bubble team at best but that's way better than what we're seeing now. Two high major fifth year players including one playing a big role for the defending champions would be incredibly valuable right now and we lost them well after we had any chance of adequately replacing them.

Reactions: RUDiddy777

What’s it costing us? We’re mostly meeting expectations - a bottom half of the B1G team this year.

I didnt watch but we scored 77 points. I don't think that was the problem today
Iowa is a outstanding offensive team scoring over 80 points a game but mediocre on defense.I would take that type team any day versus what Rutgers is putting on the court this season.

Reactions: Freddy Stubbs
Nah I mean even with them we're a bubble team at best but that's way better than what we're seeing now. Two high major fifth year players including one playing a big role for the defending champions would be incredibly valuable right now and we lost them well after we had any chance of adequately replacing them.
But there’s the problem. Even with them, we’re a bubble team. Last year, I think we were robbed of a bid (therefore a bubble team), yet Mag is back and the B1G is arguably worse. With everyone back (assuming Cam and Paul), still a bubble team. NO progress being made by any player is unacceptable

Reactions: kcg88
When you suck ass you don’t get calls no matter how hard to go in the paint. Basketball 101.
So if you suck and get fouled it doesn’t count got it, I’ll put it into my bad takes hand book on basketball 101. Look, we sucked and lose regardless but let’s also recognize how poorly officiated that game was.

Reactions: G- RUnit
I don’t get the Cliff not engaged talk. Rebounding, block shots and effort were there. Even made a nice pass to Simpson on the break. I thought he actually had some decent passes out of post today.
Offense was a struggle for sure but not entirely sure his fault.

Final score looked much better than how I remember them playing … wonder what the final layup percentage was?

So if you suck and get fouled it doesn’t count got it, I’ll put it into my bad takes hand book on basketball 101. Look, we sucked and lose regardless but let’s also recognize how poorly officiated that game was.
Exactly. We were bad. But by no means does that mean officiating was good.

Perhaps, but Cliff likely came back thinking Cam and Paul would be here.

Now he’s probably thinking 2024.

It’s a shit show, can say it’s not good he’s disinterested, but like I said I can’t blame him.
I don’t think he’s consciously disinterested. If he was, Pike and the other coaches would be all over him. Any coach would.

He might be unconsciously losing intensity at times, the fix for which would be his teammates finding ways to set him up for success. The same goes for all of them.

The team chemistry just isn’t there right now. That will hurt the energy level of all the players.

But any player who forms a viewpoint that’s entirely self-absorbed, which is what it would have to be to think “I’m too good to be interested the way the rest of the team is playing” or “I’m too good to be interested without Paul and Cam”, is creating a problem that no coach could tolerate. Any player that thinks that way is toxic to the team; you get rid of them.

So I doubt any of the players are thinking that way. Fans, sure, cause we don’t matter. Players, no.

Listen a bubble team is what most expected pre season… this is bordering on the complete opposite… Hall was looking pretty good before… our issue is confidence, lack of discipline( number one) poor understanding of how to run an offense. This resides with Steve…
We're really feeling McConnell's absence on defense.
ya think?

No we sucked … be happy they took Kricke out or it would have been worse.

We will get our lunch handed to us if we don’t find the right 5-7 guys very soon … Wisconsin??? Ha ha ha..

I didnt watch the game but there is zero leadership on this team. There is no one good enough to lead.

Why do our guys look like sticks compared to many others… lean muscle better than bulk …that’s a joke right now.

You are right … when Gavin get’s to 225-230 lbs his game overall will improve . Look at similar at Wisconsin… Iowa , Nebraska, etc are definitely much stronger and know how to put a body on someone. RU puts a shot up and 8 out of 10 times nobody is near the ball … we have not adjusted, not corrected nor does it seem Pikiell and staff have emphasized this non athletic skill set. I learned that at age 8-10 a looooong time ago. Those fat guys from the midwest … cow tippers out quick , out box , out gut us… we may win a few off this at home but that’s no guarantee.

Exactly. We were bad. But by no means does that mean officiating was good.
I don’t know how this is such an enigma to some. You get better calls when you are perceived to be decent. This concept is as old as time. Was evident from 2019-2023 minus a couple of games that were headscratchers. Overall we got a better whistle than we had for decades. .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT